Good Agassi, Bad Agassi [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Good Agassi, Bad Agassi

Tennis Fool
09-10-2005, 08:02 PM
So, do you think Agassi is a genuinely nice guy or a media-produced "nice guy"?

Agassi always comes to me as a kid in a man's body. Do you see the way he jumps around like a kid when he wins and the big kid smile? Probably comes from a sheltered life, being groomed to be a tennis star since the womb.

federer express
09-10-2005, 08:04 PM
:rolleyes:

he enjoys winning rather than losing....oh no, what a child!!!

Tennis Fool
09-10-2005, 08:05 PM
:rolleyes:

he enjoys winning rather than losing....oh no, what a child!!!
:scratch: You took this the wrong way. I'm just saying he comes across as child-like.

R.Federer
09-10-2005, 08:09 PM
He has said some lot of bad things about linespeople and others publicly, but maybe that is only in moment of anger. He is otherwise very gentlemanly, I think.

One thing I must say is that andre gives lot of praise to opponents when they beat him. He is very gracious in defeat, I appreciate

Chloe le Bopper
09-10-2005, 08:12 PM
He's human.

RodLo
09-10-2005, 08:13 PM
I like him...nothing else matters. :p

oneandonlyhsn
09-10-2005, 08:16 PM
He has said some lot of bad things about linespeople and others publicly, but maybe that is only in moment of anger. He is otherwise very gentlemanly, I think.

One thing I must say is that andre gives lot of praise to opponents when they beat him. He is very gracious in defeat, I appreciate

:yeah:

The Pro
09-10-2005, 08:24 PM
I absolutely cannot stand him.

He's always moaning about something on the court, and then lording it over the ball boys.

I mean, he is obviously a legend and a good representative for the sport in every way, but personally, I hate him.

RodLo
09-10-2005, 08:33 PM
Okay.

Tennis Fool
09-10-2005, 08:39 PM
He's always moaning about something on the court, and then lording it over the ball boys.

Ah, the dichotomy. This is the reason I made the thread. People always mention this, but I've never seen it. It wasn't in evidence in his last two matches. Maybe this happens more on regular tour events? The worst thing I've seen Agassi do was blow his nose on the court :shrug:

The Pro
09-10-2005, 08:55 PM
It hasn't been evident here at the US Open, granted. He just seems to get very full of himself sometimes, and likes a good moan at the line judges. He just can't seem to let anything go. Like after the final at Cincinatti, where he told Nadal, "I was glad to play you before you retired." Part of me thinks he was just being funny, but another part is sure that Nadal's earlier comments stung his ego and he just HAD to say something.

Also them adverts he does, like the watch one and the land rover(?) one. To me they seem so smug.

Then there's all the baby steps he does, and the blowing kisses at the crowd, it's just all so smug! (not the baby steps obviously, they're just ODD).

I'm saying 'seems' cos to be honest it's all 50/50, I can't say he's a dick for sure, (unlike some other players) cos I just don't know. But personally, I'm annoyed by him.

That's my explanation anyway. :D

jole
09-10-2005, 09:17 PM
Agassi certainly acts youthful in certain situations, being all jumpy and smiley. But at the same time he can be an extremely serious and thoughtful. Sure he was sheltered and groomed to be a tennis star, I guess, but I wouldn't confuse that with not being extremely worldly and aware of what's going on.

jole
09-10-2005, 09:20 PM
It hasn't been evident here at the US Open, granted. He just seems to get very full of himself sometimes, and likes a good moan at the line judges. He just can't seem to let anything go. Like after the final at Cincinatti, where he told Nadal, "I was glad to play you before you retired." Part of me thinks he was just being funny, but another part is sure that Nadal's earlier comments stung his ego and he just HAD to say something.

Also them adverts he does, like the watch one and the land rover(?) one. To me they seem so smug.

Then there's all the baby steps he does, and the blowing kisses at the crowd, it's just all so smug! (not the baby steps obviously, they're just ODD).

I'm saying 'seems' cos to be honest it's all 50/50, I can't say he's a dick for sure, (unlike some other players) cos I just don't know. But personally, I'm annoyed by him.

Little things like you are describing really annoy me a lot of the time, and they don't annoy me from Agassi at all. Not saying you are wrong, but I think Andre is genuine. The groaning isn't excessive at all imo, and after the point is finished he couldn't give a shit and moves on.

The Nadal comment? His humor has always been that way.

AnneMarie
09-10-2005, 09:24 PM

LOL, baby steps!!! Andre is pigeon-toed and has always walked like a
little wind-up doll, at least, ever since I've been watching him (which
is longer than I'm going to admit!!). I do think your charge that he's
arrogant and too full of himself are way off base. He used to be a bit
of a snot when he was younger (okay, more than just a little bit ;),
but all the adversity in his personal life and all the bad losses to Pete
Sampras humbled him. I think he's a genuinely nice guy and always
has been--he just acted kinda stupid when he was a young brat! :p

PaulieM
09-10-2005, 09:27 PM
i don't think he's quite the supreme being that many people make him out to be, but i don't think he's a bad guy either. i do wish he wouldn't hassle the ball kids and blow his snot on court though.:shrug:

madmanfool
09-10-2005, 09:41 PM
If you hate Agassi for those little reasons, those little things that annoy you, I guess you must hate about 50% of the people you know.
I mean nobody is perfect

ServeAlready81
09-10-2005, 10:03 PM
For me, it's hard not to like him, he has a personality. A lot these players are boring, but he brings so much life to the game.

ultraX
09-10-2005, 10:43 PM
Unlike others Agassi made tennis famous!!! He made us love this sport fun to watch and to play too. He has charisma than any others players in tour.
He's not afraid showing his feelings as a human being. It's so amazing he's still involved in tournament and take a chance to win the US Open this year.

Don't get me wrong but I think Roger Federer might be the best but he has no charisma, not showing any emotions, not even a smile while winning a point. I sometimes recognize him as a robot, a machine just like Ivan Lendl was.

federer express
09-10-2005, 10:44 PM
Unlike others Agassi made tennis famous!!! He made us love this sport fun to watch and to play too. He has charisma than any others players in tour.
He's not afraid showing his feelings as a human being. It's so amazing he's still involved in tournament and take a chance to win the US Open this year.

Don't get me wrong but I think Roger Federer might be the best but he has no charisma, not showing any emotions, not even a smile while winning a point. I sometimes recognize him as a robot, a machine just like Ivan Lendl was.

wrong on almost everything!

ultraX
09-10-2005, 10:47 PM
What makes u think it's wrong almost everything?

explain uself

DDrago2
09-10-2005, 11:19 PM

Agassi always comes to me as a kid in a man's body. Do you see the way he jumps around like a kid when he wins and the big kid smile? Probably comes from a sheltered life, being groomed to be a tennis star since the womb.

I think you got him wrong, he doesn't look like that at all to me. There are other players who are far less mature emotionaly than him, I think.

mangoes
09-10-2005, 11:23 PM

No need to try looking for something to pick on................ No one is perfect. Everyone has a few quirks...............

federer express
09-10-2005, 11:24 PM
What makes u think it's wrong almost everything?

explain uself

agassi made tennis famous WRONG
agassi made us love tennis WRONG
federer is like a robot WRONG
lendl was like a robot WRONG
federer and lendl were anything like each other WRONG

happy now?

garylanders
09-11-2005, 12:07 AM
I´ve already been bad-repped to hell and back by the likes of tang.dream and others so I might aswell say how I feel =), I cant stand the guy, something false about him..dunno really.

andre the great
09-11-2005, 12:31 AM
Well hopefully Andre can make this final exciting tomorrow by getting to a 2 sets to one lead. If he achieved this i'd give him a 50/50 chance of pulling this off

jole
09-11-2005, 12:32 AM
I´ve already been bad-repped to hell and back by the likes of tang.dream and others so I might aswell say how I feel =), I cant stand the guy, something false about him..dunno really.

Bad reps are hilarious.

'If I don't agree with you, I'm gonna piss in your Kool-Aid textually and reprimand you on a virtual message board!!!11'

Pea
09-11-2005, 12:40 AM

Don't worry about her. And I agree with you. He's as fake as they come.

RogiFan88
09-11-2005, 03:51 AM
AA's a dab hand at handling the media... he's had years of experience.

AgassiFan
09-11-2005, 05:05 AM
. It hasn't been evident here at the US Open, granted. He just seems to get very full of himself sometimes, and likes a good moan at the line judges. He just can't seem to let anything go

This is another thing that separates Agassi from Borg, (later) Lendle, Sampras and Federer - he loses his cool rather visibly which affects the quality of his tennis, especially on "big" points in "big" matches. That's why I always chuckle when he's referred to as 'Zen Master'.

So since you admit to hating him, you should be HAPPY he gets irritated by ball boys, linespeople, umps and even his (youngin) opponents. It makes him more likely to LOSE... Think next time ;)

binkygirl
09-11-2005, 05:24 AM

He's been awful to ballboys for years. Its a really bad habit of his.

binkygirl
09-11-2005, 05:28 AM

Continue to say what you want. Don't let tangerine_dream and her miserable little posse silence you.

liptea
09-11-2005, 05:33 AM
He's human.

:confused: I thought he was an egg.

binkygirl
09-11-2005, 05:39 AM
I think Andre has just mellowed out to the point where he's not an arrogant little sh*t anymore. He was not too liked by the press circa 1990 because his agent at the time kept refusing one on one interviews. The media nickname for his agent became 'Dr. No'. And Andre wasn't liked by his fellow players much in the locker room at that time, because of his attitude.

Hardship and other hard life lessons have made Andre a nicer person, so the media is nicer to him.

Tennis Fool
09-11-2005, 06:32 AM
:rolls: at this thread. All we need now is for Sjengster to provide commentary :drink:

IMMORTALCHAMP
09-11-2005, 06:50 AM
Agassi did have a bad side when he was younger. However since he got Stephanie he has lost the histrionics and is now the most focused player in the world. He rarely complains to the chair umpire but when he does its an excellent argument and he's right. I realise that Agassi wasn't always like this. I remember an Australian Open match in 1996 where Agassi was having trouble with a lowly ranked player and he got so frustrated he was yelling the f-word after nearly every point during one stretch for a few games. Those days a long gone though, but they were quite entertaining.

Tennis Fool
09-11-2005, 06:14 PM
:) Any other thoughts as we approach the US Open final?

Peyton
09-11-2005, 06:21 PM
Agassi did have a bad side when he was younger. However since he got Stephanie he has lost the histrionics and is now the most focused player in the world

Agreed. Steffi has made a good impact on Agassi all around. He now has more focus, discipline, and fight.

R.Federer
09-11-2005, 06:24 PM
:) Any other thoughts as we approach the US Open final?
do you know offhand what is andre's GS final record?
Roge's 5-0 winning record in finals of slams is on the line today (besides many other streaks of his)

Tennis Fool
09-11-2005, 06:30 PM
Have no clue. But someone here does...

ugotlobbed
09-11-2005, 07:06 PM

hes a nice guy genuinely, but he tends to act overly nice when ppl interview him, hes from vegas duh

Tennis Fool
09-02-2006, 06:06 PM
So, since this is the Agassi Open, let's continue the discussion. :)

roddick#1tome
09-02-2006, 06:33 PM
i don't care i just so annoyed by the agassi-love fest i want him off my tv!

Scotso
09-02-2006, 06:52 PM
I'm annoyed by the Agassi-fest, too, especially considering I never liked him.

He acts like a brat when things don't go his way.

World Beater
09-02-2006, 07:05 PM
:confused: I thought he was an egg.

no no...he is a fossil. :p

its andre's moment, and he is going to milk it. He isnt being a total arseclown.

soraya
09-02-2006, 07:09 PM
That's why I always chuckle when he's referred to as 'Zen Master'.

I think the "Zen Master" came from Barbra Streisand when they were dating back in his rebellious years.

sawan66278
09-02-2006, 07:43 PM
Agassi is one of the great ambassadors in the history of the game...and of all the athletes in sport that I can remember, he has changed for the positive like no other....I used to HATE Agassi's antics...rooting for him because of his punk-like nature....and now...I have to admit, I am one of his biggest fans...and the opportunity to be at both his first and second round matches this year at the Open!!!! Always classy in his comments, and I have NEVER heard him mention anything about his place in tennis history or about his ability (like Federer or Sampras, always talking about their greatness)...as Agassi stated last year after the Blake match...he didn't win...tennis won...

martinatreue
09-02-2006, 08:20 PM
nice guy but also a bit pompous. plays the media so well tho LOL. overexposed right now but has his good points and bad points

Gulliver
09-02-2006, 10:43 PM
Image is still everything to Agasssi. He has choreographed his life and his retirement impeccably. He chose as his leading lady the star of the women's tennis world, an articulate muscular heavy as his physical trainer, changed a verbose coach with delusions of grandeur for a nicer guy who knew his place and would let him shine, and gave plenty of advance notice to the biggest tournament in America to stage the Andre Agassi show with a cast of thousands.

All the other tennis players have merely walk on parts in this extravaganza. If anyone tries to upstage him he is capable of throwing a hissy fit, and getting his own way. This trait has been evident throughout his entire career. I am fully expecting to see him receive an Oscar for life long services to acting.

celia
09-02-2006, 10:52 PM
Agassi used to be a brat but i think he's matured. but we all have our moments, no matter how mature we'd like to believe we are.

nctennisfan
09-02-2006, 11:38 PM
Image is still everything to Agasssi. He has choreographed his life and his retirement impeccably. He chose as his leading lady the star of the women's tennis world, an articulate muscular heavy as his physical trainer, changed a verbose coach with delusions of grandeur for a nicer guy who knew his place and would let him shine, and gave plenty of advance notice to the biggest tournament in America to stage the Andre Agassi show with a cast of thousands.

All the other tennis players have merely walk on parts in this extravaganza. If anyone tries to upstage him he is capable of throwing a hissy fit, and getting his own way. This trait has been evident throughout his entire career. I am fully expecting to see him receive an Oscar for life long services to acting.

maybe you'll get an oscar for b.s.-writing for this load of crap. geez, i'm sure if graf had turned him down he'd have asked navratilova to turn straight and marry him. fine not to like him, but tone down the drama just a little, man.

dmit424
09-02-2006, 11:53 PM
I agree with the original poster.

I never cheer for Agassi anymore because his act (which isn't bad) has simply gotten old. No interest in watching his numerous interviews and hearing all the mentions about him. No respect for that chair-sitting act vs. Nadal (just not the right way to go about a correctly-identified problem), for the nose-blowing/court-spitting, for the swinging miss vs. Bag, for the same-old same-old "You know, everytime I'm in this arena, I feel loved again and I owe everything to you fans..." yapi yapi tat tat

I don't think Agassi was ever really a great guy. What, he was an asshole for 15 years and then turned nice when he hit about 32? No, he just matured, mellowed with marriage and fatherhood, etc. His Las Vegas thing is incredibly nice but it's not like athletes with that kind of money don't do these things on a regular basis... And anyways, a not-so-good person can still appreciate, remember, and give back to where he came from.

All in all, I am sorry, but I am so tired of Andre. I will be, for once, praying that Roddick wins their matchup.

p.s.- i think the way the fans obnoxiously supported him has something to do with this post, although he didn't control that aspect, but I am only human and it's how I feel... and at least he could have told them to hush a little.

atpSUPERMAN
09-03-2006, 12:12 AM
Agassi did have a bad side when he was younger. However since he got Stephanie he has lost the histrionics and is now the most focused player in the world. He rarely complains to the chair umpire but when he does its an excellent argument and he's right. I realise that Agassi wasn't always like this. I remember an Australian Open match in 1996 where Agassi was having trouble with a lowly ranked player and he got so frustrated he was yelling the f-word after nearly every point during one stretch for a few games. Those days a long gone though, but they were quite entertaining.

I remember that, and I wish I had it on tape/dvd. If anyone has that match I'd like to see it again.

darnyelb
09-03-2006, 12:27 AM
I'm not exactly a "fan" fan of Agassi's, but I've always appreciated his place in the sport and I'm rooting for him to somehow make the final again this year. With that said, i still remember his bad moments - especially the one about the Pakistani line judge and the way he acted toward Mardy Fish a year or two ago during a semifinal match, as well as homophobic comments he's been known to make during matches.

aam
09-03-2006, 02:14 AM
anybody who is dedicated to philanthopry like agassi is, is a nice guy in my book

dmit424
09-03-2006, 02:27 AM
http://membres.lycos.fr/herminebret/agassi/photos_94/munich_94.jpg

Bad Agassi.

http://www.agassifoundation.org/images/andre_kids1.jpg

Good Agassi.

cmurray
09-03-2006, 02:33 AM
This is the thing with Andre, and you really can't get away from it....he's used his popularity for good.

I disagree with the person who said that other atheletes do what Andre has done. NO other athelete has EVER given as much back. I think I've said this before, but he is one of the top ten philanthropists in the world.

I can't speak for Andre - none of us can, but I can tell you this - his school wouldn't be the success it is without his own success. I don't know what Andre's motivations are for making this US Open the Andre Agassi show. Maybe some of it is selfish - I'd be surprised if it were'nt. But perhaps some of it is so that he is remembered by all the people who contribute their time (Elton John et al) and their dollars to his charity. Andre's school's success is largely based on his reputation and his ability to use his popularity to advance the cause that he is so passionate about.

I know there are a lot of you who are annoyed about Andre taking over all the publicity. But did you ever consider that he might be doing more than stroking his own ego? There are a lot of us who have been watching Andre for 20 years. And you know what? This isn't just goodbye to Andre. It's goodbye to his entire generation. Pete and Boris and Lendl and Edberg and Courier and Chang. Andre's all we have left, and every time he steps out on the court, I am painfully, poignantly aware of that fact. So you'll forgive me if his retirement makes my throat ache and the back of my eyes burn. Because I'm saying one last goodbye to the tennis that I've always known.

Cheryl

BlakeorHenman
09-03-2006, 04:36 AM
This is the thing with Andre, and you really can't get away from it....he's used his popularity for good.

I disagree with the person who said that other atheletes do what Andre has done. NO other athelete has EVER given as much back. I think I've said this before, but he is one of the top ten philanthropists in the world.

I can't speak for Andre - none of us can, but I can tell you this - his school wouldn't be the success it is without his own success. I don't know what Andre's motivations are for making this US Open the Andre Agassi show. Maybe some of it is selfish - I'd be surprised if it were'nt. But perhaps some of it is so that he is remembered by all the people who contribute their time (Elton John et al) and their dollars to his charity. Andre's school's success is largely based on his reputation and his ability to use his popularity to advance the cause that he is so passionate about.

I know there are a lot of you who are annoyed about Andre taking over all the publicity. But did you ever consider that he might be doing more than stroking his own ego? There are a lot of us who have been watching Andre for 20 years. And you know what? This isn't just goodbye to Andre. It's goodbye to his entire generation. Pete and Boris and Lendl and Edberg and Courier and Chang. Andre's all we have left, and every time he steps out on the court, I am painfully, poignantly aware of that fact. So you'll forgive me if his retirement makes my throat ache and the back of my eyes burn. Because I'm saying one last goodbye to the tennis that I've always known.

Cheryl

I understand a previous poster's wariness that Andre still values image as much as ever, because it seems like his classiness is being pushed on us constantly by some maniacal, god-like publicist. However, this post I have quoted is exactly why I think it's all real. He didn't start up a school and donate so much of his cash to charity so we will all think he's a good guy. He's the real deal, I think.

cmurray
09-03-2006, 10:57 AM
And the other thing I should point out is that, like it or not, the public in general knows Andre. We're getting sort of far from the days that guys like McEnroe and Connors were commanding Tiger Woods-like attention for tennis. Andre is the last bastian of the tennis superstar. And say what you will about Andre, but he cares about the sport. And the media circus, while annoying to those of you who are die-hard fans, is good for the sport.

atpSUPERMAN
09-03-2006, 11:16 AM
WELL SAID CHER I COULDNT HAVE SAID AS WELL OR BETTER MYSELF

*Ljubica*
09-03-2006, 11:20 AM
In his prime, as a player, he was one of the best (if not THE best in the world) and no one can take that away from him. But as a personality - I find him fake and two-faced and I personally can't stand him. I tend to agree with Gulliver and garylanders earlier in this thread - but I know most people on MTF wil not agree with us and everyone to their own taste I suppose. Of course I wish him a long, happy life, good health and a good retirement with his family.....I just wish he would hurry up and go :devil:

rod99
09-03-2006, 12:39 PM
In his prime, as a player, he was one of the best (if not THE best in the world) and no one can take that away from him. But as a personality - I find him fake and two-faced and I personally can't stand him. I tend to agree with Gulliver and garylanders earlier in this thread - but I know most people on MTF wil not agree with us and everyone to their own taste I suppose. Of course I wish him a long, happy life, good health and a good retirement with his family.....I just wish he would hurry up and go :devil:

are you crazy? tell me, one reason why you think he is "fake and two-faced." just one (in the last 12 years or so). he's humble (unlike sampras and federer), he loves the sport, and will continue to stay in the game even after retirement. he's had more influence on the sport than anyone in the open era.

*Ljubica*
09-03-2006, 01:05 PM
are you crazy? tell me, one reason why you think he is "fake and two-faced." just one (in the last 12 years or so). he's humble (unlike sampras and federer), he loves the sport, and will continue to stay in the game even after retirement. he's had more influence on the sport than anyone in the open era.
As I said - everyone to their own :) And I could give you plenty of examples if I wanted to get into some long drawn argument. I don't want to argue - which is why I haven't posted in this thread before. However - as you asked -let's just say that, behind the bowing and blowing kisses to the crowd and all his "I respect the fans" stuff, I have seen him, on several occasions away from the cameras, showing total disrespect to his fans. On one occasion, at Wimbledon, he let his "flathead" security guards knock an elderly lady to the floor without even bothering to look back or ask if she was OK (that lady was my friend's Mother - I was there at the time and I saw it with my own eyes), and on another, I personally saw him push a disabled young girl in a wheelchair out of the way without so much as a backward glance in her direction. There is definately one face pointed smilingly towards the media and another when no media people are around- and as a former journalist who worked in the media in England , I do know what I am talking about on this. Maybe he treats his US fans with more respect - I can't answer that :shrug: And I am sure you can give me equal examaples of times you have seen him being nice to people. But I can't deny what I have seen with my own eyes.

I don't deny he will probaly stay in the Sport and I don't deny or decry his charity work - although many other players do charity work too, and we hear far less about it because they chose to keep it private.

As for Roger and Sampras - I have no views one way or the other about Sampras - I didn't like his game, but I never met him or saw him close-up, - he never struck me as particularly arrogant though :confused: And, having met Roger many times, I can assure you he is far from arrogant. Of course he knows that he is a good player and has confidence in his abilities - but off court he is a nice, humble, well-mannered and respectful guy, who does not show one face when the cameras are turned on, and another in more private moments - what you see is what you get with Roger.

Action Jackson
09-03-2006, 01:11 PM
It won't be long before he is gone, but he does an excellent PR job.

atpSUPERMAN
09-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Agassi sets a great example on and off the court, but I found him extremely entertaining in those crazy 90s and all the eratic behavior and swearing was a good thing in my opinion. And anything so called "bad" he did in the past isn't bad in reality its just his reaction to being in the spotlight and being under pressure. Its not like saying the f-word 5 times during a tennis match makes you any less of a person. I read his biography and learnt that he liked keeping the same people in his entourage his entire career and if someone was no longer needed he would keep them close and have them work for him in some other way. Apparently he's very generous and has been that way ever since he hit the tour in the 80s. The mood fluctuations you saw publicly have nothing to do with his real persona. As for the 21st century Agassi, the Agassi that does everything like a boyscout, well thats Agassi trying to be the best person he can be. He knows he wasted some years not getting the best out of his game and now he's trying to remove any variables and do everything perfect in order to get the most out of what he has left. Nothing fake about it. He actually is becoming more like Gil Reyes every year with his absolute focus and pure monk-like approach to everything...

ezekiel
09-03-2006, 01:26 PM
Andre is the biggest legend of tennis today. He leaves everyone else in the shadows. Others may have better records on paper but he is the face on the book until further notice

DrJules
09-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Why do people think because Agassi does a lot for charity he is a good person?

Surely how good or bad you are as a person should not be related to your money generating potential.

DrJules
09-03-2006, 01:52 PM
As I said - everyone to their own :) And I could give you plenty of examples if I wanted to get into some long drawn argument. I don't want to argue - which is why I haven't posted in this thread before. However - as you asked -let's just say that, behind the bowing and blowing kisses to the crowd and all his "I respect the fans" stuff, I have seen him, on several occasions away from the cameras, showing total disrespect to his fans. On one occasion, at Wimbledon, he let his "flathead" security guards knock an elderly lady to the floor without even bothering to look back or ask if she was OK (that lady was my friend's Mother - I was there at the time and I saw it with my own eyes), and on another, I personally saw him push a disabled young girl in a wheelchair out of the way without so much as a backward glance in her direction. There is definately one face pointed smilingly towards the media and another when no media people are around- and as a former journalist who worked in the media in England , I do know what I am talking about on this. Maybe he treats his US fans with more respect - I can't answer that :shrug: And I am sure you can give me equal examaples of times you have seen him being nice to people. But I can't deny what I have seen with my own eyes.

At least your opinion has evidence to substantiate it.

Tennis Fool
09-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Why do people think because Agassi does a lot for charity he is a good person?

Surely how good or bad you are as a person should not be related to your money generating potential.
I think it depends on how you view charity. I have conflicting views on it myself. I think those who are philanthropists DO equate doing something good =good person. However, it can be argued that philanthropy is a way of marking you as being on a higher level than others, by giving you are taking pity on those you believe are not your equal. Also, it's a way of avoiding taxes.

Seneca
09-03-2006, 02:56 PM
I'm a bit sick of this overblown Agassi Open mk. II we've been seeing this year and I hope he'll be defeated fittingly by Roddick in the 4th round in the passing-of-the-american-tennis-crown marquee match. As an so called 'ambassador of the sport' he has a suspicious history of late withdrawals from major tournaments, something his mafia-like entourage (Gil Reyes) does little to suppress. It's a goddamn miracle of modern medicine that a 35-old bloke unable to run one day can be juiced up enough to make a Slam final.

Then again, as a tennis game analyst, the man is unsurpassable and his insight into the matches he has just played half an hour before is phenomenal. This comes well through in his interviews and I've learned a lot about his opponents' games just from reading the interviews Agassi has given about them. His view on the Federer-Sampras comparison is spot on.

Part of me wants him to go all the way and finish his career as a true champion. Like Sampras in 2002, I generally root against him in his matches but as an exclamation point to a great career, final W at USO2006 would be most fitting farewell to 'dre.

Just make way for Fat Dave vs. Marat in the broadcast schedule quickly, ok?

jes_021
09-03-2006, 03:15 PM
I don't hate or love the guy. He's a great player and has done lots for the sport, but this whole media thing is going too far, which I know isn't in his hand for the most part. The commentators even go so far as dropping his name 6+ times during a Schnyder match. It's Agassi overkill for my taste and I would love to see some other players on tv, besides rerun #8 of one of his matches.

sanpo
09-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Andre is the biggest legend of tennis today. He leaves everyone else in the shadows. Others may have better records on paper but he is the face on the book until further notice

You could only say that because he's been lucky enough to acquire a good reception of the US MEDIA during his early years up to his latter career. And you could clearly see how much he's amassed far greater attention to his retirement than you could say for Sampras, even if Sampras ended up winning the event which could have justified a far more overblown occassion.

I don't have any qualms if people feel sentimental over his whole retirement since he's been a great example to the sport and will probably continue to be a great contribution as well. I just find it unfair for many other tennis legends who has achieved far greater than Agassi to be surreptitiously put out by this man achieve less, if only by tennis terms.

And I'm pretty surprised by the content of Rosie's post, and as much as any agassi/non-agassi fan don't want to believe it, you can't refute the source. I mean, of the few times that Rosie has seen Agassi in real life (i assume), 2 out of those were of bad Agassi, and you just have to imagine how much more of those things could have happened without us knowing/seeing behind the cameras.

I just hope that Agassi tries to live and uphold the image he's building in the media, outside the court, behind the cameras. As J'torian have pointed out, the media may have built Agassi's shrine long enough and slowly glorifying him as the next god, but he doesn't have to jump in the wagon and sell it either.

soraya
09-03-2006, 07:41 PM
I think it depends on how you view charity. I have conflicting views on it myself. I think those who are philanthropists DO equate doing something good =good person. However, it can be argued that philanthropy is a way of marking you as being on a higher level than others, by giving you are taking pity on those you believe are not your equal. Also, it's a way of avoiding taxes.

Add to that the fact that his name will live forever, so think about posterity.

General Suburbia
09-03-2006, 11:03 PM
agassi made tennis famous WRONG
agassi made us love tennis WRONG
federer is like a robot WRONG
lendl was like a robot WRONG
federer and lendl were anything like each other WRONG

happy now?
Not sure if anyone commented on this yet, but you're a dumbass. Not because your opinions may differ from anyone else's, but wtf kind of reasoning is that?

Experimentee
09-04-2006, 02:41 PM
I dont think Andre's classiness is an act for the media. He wasnt like that in his early days, so I dont see why he should start putting on a friendly act when he got older, got married and had kids. More logical explanation is that hes matured and starts to appreciate his fans more.

Of course anyone would be able to cite a few examples of when Andre has acted badly, but you could do that for any player. Everyone has bad days and sometimes acts in bad ways, but with Andre it seems to be the exception rather than the norm.

His work with charity goes over and above what any other tennis player or sportsperson has done, even htose who earn as much as he does. That shows that he does genuinely care about giving back to the less fortunate.

Experimentee
09-04-2006, 02:44 PM

Ok, every millionaire should just keep all their money to themselves instead of arrogantly and selfishly helping the poor to avoid taxes :rolleyes:

binkygirl
09-05-2006, 12:20 AM
He's human.

Exactly. He's not a media production like James Blake. I've been watching this guy since I was a kid. There was a time when Andre was a real punk and not liked by his peers. After Gomez beat him at the French Open and went to the next tournament, Gomez said that he was surprised at the number of players who came up to him and congratulated him on beating Andre. Andre had a real 'attitude' during that era. There's a book called 'Hard Courts' that covers the subject very well.

I can also remember Andre during this era going up to a fan in wheelchair who had been brought on court to watch his match and shaking the man's hand. Nice genuine gesture and it didn't seem forced.

I do think he is a much better person that Courier, Sampras, or Chang; look at the school he built for poor children!

Andre has always been very expressive in his emotions after a win. You call it childlike, but I think that it what has always made him attractive to fans. You can tell that he's really happy! I love that about him, his exuberance and smile.

Jogy
09-05-2006, 12:35 AM
if you are so many famous like Agassi and so much in media light all time, dozens of people watching every move of you or photographers looking for you, making pictures and every word you say is commentated, you have bad moments too

all who saying that Agassi is bad: when I would watch you so close all time, I could see enough things that make you look bad and say then "what a jerk/what a bitch you are!".

cincy
09-05-2006, 09:55 PM

God, you are so cynical. :sad: I would imagine if a person "took pity" on someone they would just drop a $5 bill in that person's cup and feel that they've done something wonderful for the world as they head off to lunch at the Polo Lounge. :rolleyes:

Plus, you do not "avoid" taxes by giving to charity!! That's idiotic. Read the tax code. Mr. Agassi pays millions in taxes each year, I assure you.

Andre has raised almost $70 million dollars for his Foundation. That's a lot of money and no sports person has given that much to charity EVER, including Mr. Tiger Woods who earns almost $100 million every year in endorsements.

At any rate, the "Agassi Open" is over now and you can't tell me that those 23,000 people who packed the stadium each time he played and the millions who watched on television think he's a "phony." People aren't that stupid. They love him and they were sad to see him leave tennis and tennis will be the worse for his having retired.

Gulliver
09-05-2006, 11:08 PM
I wonder who wrote the speech he made out on the court? Even that wasn't genuine.

Jlee
09-05-2006, 11:34 PM
Okay, just arrived on the thread!

I was at the Andre match, wow. That was completely and genuinely Andre at the end in the speech...everyone was crying in the stands. It was insane...and so sad!!! Love you Andre! :)

rod99
09-06-2006, 12:25 AM
I wonder who wrote the speech he made out on the court? Even that wasn't genuine.

i hope you're being sarcastic. if not, then you're a moron.