Jerome Haehnel is an odd guy. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Jerome Haehnel is an odd guy.

Grinder
09-10-2005, 03:50 PM
Jerome Haehnel reached his career high ranking this year at 79 and he was ranked high enough to make the direct entry cut for the US Open and he opts to play a challenger instead. Last year he won an ATP Title in Metz defeating Gasquet in the final and then goes back to playing challengers.

He's a funny character.

Caitlin
09-10-2005, 03:52 PM
I heard somewhere that he is afraid of flying and doesn't like to travel overseas....don't know if that is true or not but it would be an explanation.

Carito_90
09-10-2005, 03:52 PM
Funny oooooor....... stupid?

madmanfool
09-10-2005, 04:16 PM
scared of flying

Peta Pan
09-10-2005, 04:16 PM
I heard somewhere that he is afraid of flying and doesn't like to travel overseas....don't know if that is true or not but it would be an explanation.
Yep that's correct. He prefers to travel to places he can by car. He made it to the Australian Open this year though so he must make some special efforts. :shrug:

azza
09-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Switzerland to Italy to France cant be too scared to fly?

sigmagirl91
09-10-2005, 04:24 PM
OK....

Alvarillo
09-10-2005, 04:30 PM
:lol: poor Jerome!

Scotso
09-10-2005, 04:58 PM
There are a few French players with this fear, it seems.

Too bad, Jerome is good enough to be a staple on the ATP.

Fee
09-10-2005, 05:40 PM
Switzerland to Italy to France cant be too scared to fly?

He travels by train or car most of the time.

He did fly twice in the last year (Australia and some Challenger in November, I think), but still hasn't managed to make it to the states. It is kind of odd, since France to Melbourne is a heck of a longer flight than France to New York.

HappyAndie
09-10-2005, 05:47 PM
He should take a boat :)

delsa
09-10-2005, 05:54 PM
He should follow a therapy/ try accupuncture, hypnosis or something... :p

Saumon
09-10-2005, 06:10 PM
or try sleeping pills like Marat :p

mutis has the same problem

joeb_uk
09-10-2005, 06:45 PM
Or get some balls! Hard to imagine a professional athlete letting something like that muck up their career.

delsa
09-10-2005, 06:48 PM
Or get some balls! Hard to imagine a professional athlete letting something like that muck up their career.
Denis Bergkamp, one of the legends of the Arsenal F.C. has the same problem and he had a fantastic career! :p
And nobody ever thought he should "get some balls"... :p

joeb_uk
09-10-2005, 06:50 PM
Denis Bergkamp of Arsenal F.C. has the same problem and he had a fantastic career! :p
Football is not really an international sport though, 90% of matches are in england. Where as tennis the player is travelling to different countries everywhere. A football player is able to get away it much more than a tennis player (unless they only play futures in their own country).
I really dont understand the pussies who are afraid to fly though :shrug: i wonder how long it will be before we hear a sportsman cant travel in a car :tape:

jole
09-10-2005, 06:54 PM
It's rather unfortunate, but if he wants to semi-sabotage his ranking then its his call.

delsa
09-10-2005, 07:04 PM
I really dont understand the pussies who are afraid to fly though :shrug: i wonder how long it will be before we hear a sportsman cant travel in a car :tape:
I'm not afraid to fly but look at how many jet crashes, jet accidents happened during this summer! I can understand that some ppl may be afraid to fly...
I think his wife/coach will force him to loose this fear or fly despite it anyway! :p
It's not like he would suddenly have a fantastic career if he travelled more too... :o
You're right about football not requiring a player to fly that much but the exemple was more to point out he wasn't treated/criticized the same despite having the same problem...You use scornful words for one and not for the other...;)

smucav
09-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Jerome Haehnel reached his career high ranking this year at 79 and he was ranked high enough to make the direct entry cut for the US Open and he opts to play a challenger instead.He wasn't ranked high enough to gain direct entry to the U.S. Open: he was the tenth alternate & only two alternates got in. His ranking would have gotten him directly into the qualifying entry list & draw, but he didn't enter.

U.S. Open entry list:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=2013532&postcount=1

U.S. Open qualifying entry list:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=2089147&postcount=1

KoOlMaNsEaN
09-10-2005, 10:26 PM
Yah he doesn't like to fly so he plays where he can drive or take a train too. Weird

Scotso
09-11-2005, 01:57 AM

What about that plane that crashed with that professional team on board?

I agree it's silly, but some people are just afraid of flying. I don't particularly like the idea of hovering in the air. You have no control up there.

Peta Pan
09-11-2005, 02:25 AM
I am very scared of flying myself. I just travelled from Melbourne to Perth and back by plane a few weeks ago to try to curb the fear because I desperately want to go to Europe in a few years time. I still don't like the feeling of being up there but it's something I'm going to have to get over if I want to travel.

I know there are people with bigger fears of flying that me though so if it's a real phobia you really can't expect them to just get over it like that

Grinder
09-11-2005, 02:53 AM
He wasn't ranked high enough to gain direct entry to the U.S. Open: he was the tenth alternate & only two alternates got in. His ranking would have gotten him directly into the qualifying entry list & draw, but he didn't enter.

U.S. Open entry list:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=2013532&postcount=1

U.S. Open qualifying entry list:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=2089147&postcount=1

That's surprising he was 10th on alternates, he's currently 101 in the world.

liptea
09-11-2005, 03:36 AM
I am very scared of flying myself. I just travelled from Melbourne to Perth and back by plane a few weeks ago to try to curb the fear because I desperately want to go to Europe in a few years time. I still don't like the feeling of being up there but it's something I'm going to have to get over if I want to travel.

I know there are people with bigger fears of flying that me though so if it's a real phobia you really can't expect them to just get over it like that

:hug: That was really brave of you. I'm glad that you're driving some sense into the kids in this thread though and showing them that phobias aren't made up by weak kids with no balls.

binkygirl
09-11-2005, 05:45 AM
That's surprising he was 10th on alternates, he's currently 101 in the world.

Acceptance for the US Open was several weeks ago when he was ranked below the cut off. That's the only explanation I can think of.

joeb_uk
09-12-2005, 01:18 PM
What about that plane that crashed with that professional team on board?

I agree it's silly, but some people are just afraid of flying. I don't particularly like the idea of hovering in the air. You have no control up there.
Yes and then look at the amount of the many car crashes every single day! Really there is no excuse for being such a pussy, because the same could be said for travelling in a car.

JMG
09-12-2005, 02:35 PM
Yes, it's a fact that travel by car is more dangerous than flying. Please get some balls Jerome. :help:

delsa
09-12-2005, 02:39 PM
Ok. Another option...He just stop playing tennis and earns his living another way. :rolleyes:
And there is less train accidents btw...

its.like.that
09-15-2005, 07:56 PM
look at his record for 2005

challengers: 16-10
International series qualifying or higher: 1-13

He had direct entry into the AO, and he turned up for it. Perhaps he would have done the same for the USO.

smucav
09-15-2005, 10:19 PM
That's surprising he was 10th on alternates, he's currently 101 in the world.His current ranking is irrelevent. He was 108 on the entry deadline for the U.S. Open. The original cut-off was 100 (& the final cut-off 101), therefore his only option was to enter the qualifying & he failed to do so.