mens semifinals stats [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

mens semifinals stats

wimbledonfan
09-10-2005, 03:22 PM
Here it goes , I've compiled some useful stats for the remaining 4 men at the us open . For simplicity I will count each tiebreaker to be considered 2 games

Federer Hewitt Agassi Ginepri

winners/ue's 1.93/1 1.35/1 1.32/1 1.28/1

winners/g 1.38/1 1.14/1 .97/1 1.0/1

errors/g .725/1 .85/1 .74/1 .78/1

%1st serves 64.2% 57.2% 65.3% 60.4%

%1st serve pts won 79.4% 78.3% 72.8% 74%

%2nd serve pts won 53.2% 48.95% 56.7 % 54%

% of receiving pts won 44% 44.4% 37.2% 38%

wimbledonfan
09-10-2005, 03:25 PM
For some reason , I can't get it to work in chart form .

sorry for any confusion

wimbledonfan
09-10-2005, 03:43 PM
It is rather interesting to see that Agassi and Ginepri have almost identical results thus far. Both players have been averaging about 1 winner per game and their errors per game are about equal . Ginepri wins slightly more on his first serves and Agassi wins slightly more on his second serve . On their return of serves they are also equal at about 38 % of the pts won . It is no surprise that Federer has the best results so far , his winners per game is the highest while also minimizing his unforced errors . Surprisingly , Hewitt is second in the winners per game stat and is about equal with Federer on pts won from return of service games at about 44 %

wimbledonfan
09-10-2005, 04:02 PM
I also have a prediction that federer will drop a set to Hewitt this time around . So I say fed in 4 sets and I'll say Agassi will win his match in 4 sets.

bad gambler
09-10-2005, 04:13 PM
Thanks for those stats :)

That 1st serve % pretty much says it all

sigmagirl91
09-10-2005, 04:14 PM
I also have a prediction that federer will drop a set to Hewitt this time around . So I say fed in 4 sets and I'll say Agassi will win his match in 4 sets.

Fed defies statistics. I'm going to say Feds in straights.

wimbledonfan
09-10-2005, 04:31 PM
If it is in straight , i think the sets will be a little more competitive . Hewitt has improved tremendously on his offense this year . Whereas in past years he would play solid defense with fewer unforced errors . He knows that the only way for him to beat Fed is to develop a more offensive game that requires him to hit winners on demand . He needs some free points with his first serve which he has been doing better than ever but I think his second serve is crucial for him . This is where Federer destroys hewitt and most of his oppponents . Hewitt needs to develop more of a top spin second serve like Becker or Rafter once had which forces players like Fed to move behind the base line on his return of serve .

sigmagirl91
09-10-2005, 04:42 PM
If it is in straight , i think the sets will be a little more competitive . Hewitt has improved tremendously on his offense this year . Whereas in past years he would play solid defense with fewer unforced errors . He knows that the only way for him to beat Fed is to develop a more offensive game that requires him to hit winners on demand . He needs some free points with his first serve which he has been doing better than ever but I think his second serve is crucial for him . This is where Federer destroys hewitt and most of his oppponents . Hewitt needs to develop more of a top spin second serve like Becker or Rafter once had which forces players like Fed to move behind the base line on his return of serve .

A good game plan in theory, but Lleyton must actually put it to practice for it to work effectively. It seems that Roger has an answer for everything. It's now up to the rest of the top 10 to come up higher to mount an effective challenge.

Scotso
09-10-2005, 04:56 PM
What's shocking is that Hewitt has more errors than any of them :eek:

sigmagirl91
09-10-2005, 04:57 PM
What's shocking is that Hewitt has more errors than any of them :eek:

Really? If this is the current trend for him, then he will definitely not win. Not only will he not win, but Roger will be handing out at least one bagel to him.

wimbledonfan
09-10-2005, 05:07 PM
Unfortunately the downside to being more aggressive is that you're prone to make more errors . I still think this is a positive step for Lleyton on the faster courts , whereas on clay , it would be imperative to keep your unforced errors at an absolute minimum . On a faster court, the player who can hit more winners per game , is at a tremendous advantage and Hewitt knows this . Bottom line is that Hewitts second serve pts won % is the worst of the remaining players and needs to be improved to have any success in the slams .

wimbledonfan
09-10-2005, 10:40 PM
I was correct on my prediction . Lleyton Hewitt took a set off of Federer .
Overall it's a positive sign for him to build on .