LOL! USTA trying to help Andre, it's not going to work!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

LOL! USTA trying to help Andre, it's not going to work!!

uNIVERSE mAN
09-10-2005, 01:39 AM
Arthur Ashe 12.00 NOON Start

1. Men's Singles - Semis
Robby Ginepri (USA)
vs. Andre Agassi (USA)[7]

Not Before 3:00 PM
2. Men's Singles - Semis
Roger Federer (SUI)[1]
vs. Lleyton Hewitt (AUS)[3]

Since there are two americans playing in one semi, this is very surprising, it's obvious what they're trying to do. All the way back to Agassi's section playing first on the Monday.

federer express
09-10-2005, 01:43 AM
Since there are two americans playing in one semi, this is very surprising, it's obvious what they're trying to do. All the way back to Agassi's section playing first on the Monday.

so?! if he makes the final i'd rather he was rested slightly. he has had tougher matches. him and ginepri both and it should be a tougher match than the hewitt-federer. the schedule makes perfect sense!

KoOlMaNsEaN
09-10-2005, 01:44 AM
How is this helping andre?

uNIVERSE mAN
09-10-2005, 01:45 AM
Yeah but do they always do that? of course not! if they were consistent then I would say ok. But two americans are playing, why the F is that not in the prime time slot??? That's the stupid part.

uNIVERSE mAN
09-10-2005, 01:46 AM
How is this helping andre?

err, maybe getting him on the court at a guaranteed time and a few hours more rest?? does that sound like a reason to you?

federer express
09-10-2005, 01:47 AM
Yeah but do they always do that? of course not! if they were consistent then I would say ok. But two americans are playing, why the F is that not in the prime time slot??? That's the stupid part.

federer-hewitt is actually the bigger match....

R.Federer
09-10-2005, 01:47 AM
so?! if he makes the final i'd rather he was rested slightly. he has had tougher matches. him and ginepri both and it should be a tougher match than the hewitt-federer. the schedule makes perfect sense!
leyton/Roge cannot be penalized because andre has needed 5 sets to win his matches. There is nothing fair about this, but it is understandable that they want to give the older man more time to recuperate. Unfortunately, if his is a long 5-setter and Roge/leyton's is a short 3-setter, it will not be of much help. Nevertheless, USTA has routinely shcheduled US players' matches with the most preferential timings --it is understandable why, but it is not fair.

alfonsojose
09-10-2005, 01:48 AM
Hello! All Grand Slams will do as much as they can to help the local players :yawn: This is nothing. Did u already forget 2003? That was a freaky pro-Duck schedule :shrug:

R.Federer
09-10-2005, 01:49 AM
Not to USTA and the american audience!!!! Not by far
We saw the cool reception Roge/nalbandi and hewitt/neiminen got yesterday. It was incomparable to the love and hysteria that blake/agassi got.

In any event: until late last night, as per "normal" scheduling, Roger would go first. This is a new tweak to the schedule designed for andre to have more rest should it come to that

federer express
09-10-2005, 01:49 AM
Hello! All Grand Slams will do as much as they can to help the local players :yawn: This is nothing. Did u already forget 2003? That was a freaky pro-Duck schedule :shrug:

have you forgotten how wimbledon has managed to fix the draw for henman every year for the last decade :p

uNIVERSE mAN
09-10-2005, 01:50 AM
leyton/Roge cannot be penalized because andre has needed 5 sets to win his matches. There is nothing fair about this, but it is understandable that they want to give the older man more time to recuperate. Unfortunately, if his is a long 5-setter and Roge/leyton's is a short 3-setter, it will not be of much help. Nevertheless, USTA has routinely shcheduled US players' matches with the most preferential timings --it is understandable why, but it is not fair.

Exactly! That's the point I'm trying to make. Whatever gives the americans the best chance.

disturb3d
09-10-2005, 01:50 AM
federer-hewitt is actually the bigger match....Generally, yeah.
In America, no.

disturb3d
09-10-2005, 01:52 AM
Exactly! That's the point I'm trying to make. Whatever gives the americans the best chance.No shit, thats why it's called the US Open.

federer express
09-10-2005, 01:52 AM
Generally, yeah.
In America, no.

anywhere in the world...the americans will have one in the final and it will probably be agassi, so thats enough.

and like i said, the schedule is a fair one...

uNIVERSE mAN
09-10-2005, 01:53 AM
The USTA knew by starting the bottom half first since the Duck, Ginepri, Agassi or Blake get through they have a two day rest window for the semis. The top half always goes first, they did that in the women's. This is blatant bullshit.

federer express
09-10-2005, 01:55 AM
The USTA knew by starting the bottom half first since the Duck, Ginepri, Agassi or Blake get through they have a two day rest window for the semis. The top half always goes first, they did that in the women's. This is blatant bullshit.

like i said, every year at wimbledon henman seems to get a guy who has never even seen a grass court before...

R.Federer
09-10-2005, 01:57 AM
Yea, they're even contradicting themselves --they said as late as last night that being the big match, andre's match would go second. I am sure Gil and cahill have made some well placed calls to USTA.

Nevertheless, there is only so much that a few additional hours can help or hurt change the balance between a 24 year old body that has played no 5 set matches and a tiring 35 year old body that has played 2. Hopefully, this does not affect the outcome --or detract from andre if he were to win the F.

R.Federer
09-10-2005, 01:58 AM
like i said, every year at wimbledon henman seems to get a guy who has never even seen a grass court before... Yes, that too is unfair. It doesn't make USTA fair just because W also does it. Only pointing out that the system should find a better balance. I don't think Armstrong is a tiny stadium that they cannot do concurrent Semis. Better, give them a day of rest and have it on Friday

federer express
09-10-2005, 01:58 AM
Yea, they're even contradicting themselves --they said as late as last night that being the big match, andre's match would go second. I am sure Gil and cahill have made some well placed calls to USTA.

Nevertheless, there is only so much that a few additional hours can help or hurt change the balance between a 24 year old body that has played no 5 set matches and a tiring 35 year old body that has played 2. Hopefully, this does not affect the outcome --or detract from andre if he were to win the F.

yes, those extra few hours would really detract from agassi's achievement if he did win...

:rolleyes:

R.Federer
09-10-2005, 02:00 AM
yes, those extra few hours would really detract from agassi's achievement if he did win...

:rolleyes:

Yes, it could. If Roge's match were to become a very long 5-setter it very well could

Did you ever read the press after agassi won the 2nd match before his last USO final with Pete and then lost the final? Many fingers pointed squarely to his longer lasting and later-scheduled match :rolleyes:

federer express
09-10-2005, 02:02 AM
Yes, it could. If Roge's match were to become a very long 5-setter it very well could

Did you ever read the press after agassi won the 2nd match before his last USO final with Pete and then lost the final? Many fingers pointed squarely to his longer lasting and later-scheduled match :rolleyes:

well those are stupid fingers. the schedule is as it is. players and fans alike know about this saturday format coming into the tournament.

it didn't detract from sampras either...it detracted from the idiots pointing accusing fingers

PaulieM
09-10-2005, 02:03 AM
the commentators have been saying for the last few days that federer vs. hewitt would be first so that andre and robby would get the better ratings slot. they even asked roger how he felt about that yesteday i think. the schedule is meant to help the americans, presumably andre but that's not surprising and it probably won't make much of a difference.

R.Federer
09-10-2005, 02:06 AM
well those are stupid fingers. the schedule is as it is. players and fans alike know about this saturday format coming into the tournament.

it didn't detract from sampras either...it detracted from the idiots pointing accusing fingers

Yes that is what I said: I hope it does not detract from agassi should he win. But people will look at how much the second match winner was at a disadvantage. Just like roddick this year at W. Those stupid fingers by the way belonged to people who know a lot more about tennis and personally about andre than anyone here-- McEnroe and Courier included

R.Federer
09-10-2005, 02:08 AM

As for stupid fingers, lets see what andre himself had to say:

Q. What are your thoughts?

ANDRE AGASSI: Yeah, just was a tough day for me today. I mean, on top of him playing well, I just got off to a rough start. You know, I just was flat, and I tried to get myself into the match and had to work pretty hard just to give myself a chance. Just was never quite enough.

Q. Drained from yesterday?
ANDRE AGASSI: Well, I suppose everything has a factor. I mean, I think the way he played is also a factor, so...

federer express
09-10-2005, 02:09 AM
Yes that is what I said: I hope it does not detract from agassi should he win. But people will look at how much the second match winner was at a disadvantage. Just like roddick this year at W. Those stupid fingers by the way belonged to people who know a lot more about tennis and personally about andre than anyone here-- McEnroe and Courier included

because mcenroe and courier never say stupid things....
some ex-players will say anything to be heard

it wont detract anyway because fed will hammer hewitt in about an hour and a half.

federer express
09-10-2005, 02:10 AM
As for stupid fingers, lets see what andre himself had to say:

Q. What are your thoughts?

ANDRE AGASSI: Yeah, just was a tough day for me today. I mean, on top of him playing well, I just got off to a rough start. You know, I just was flat, and I tried to get myself into the match and had to work pretty hard just to give myself a chance. Just was never quite enough.

Q. Drained from yesterday?
ANDRE AGASSI: Well, I suppose everything has a factor. I mean, I think the way he played is also a factor, so...

maybe i'm tired but i dont see your point there

PamV
09-10-2005, 02:17 AM
Arthur Ashe 12.00 NOON Start

1. Men's Singles - Semis
Robby Ginepri (USA)
vs. Andre Agassi (USA)[7]

Not Before 3:00 PM
2. Men's Singles - Semis
Roger Federer (SUI)[1]
vs. Lleyton Hewitt (AUS)[3]

You are probably right. I think that the Agassi/Ginepri match could go to 5 sets so no matter what they do the winner of that could be fatigued. Doesn't Ginepri play very similar to Blake?

joycomesmorning
09-10-2005, 02:20 AM
Exactly! That's the point I'm trying to make. Whatever gives the americans the best chance.

Right Church, wrong pew...that's "American" for you're close to being right...but you're NOT!!!

When the Agassi-Blake match went over the allotted time on Wednesday night, there was a MAJOR issue between USA network (who wanted to keep airing the match) and CBS who had rights to the match at exactly 12:37am...and exercised those rights...NO ONE AT CBS WANTS TO TAKE ANY CHANCE WITH A SURPRISE DELAY OR AN EXCEPTIONALLY LONG MATCH CUTTING SHORT THE AMERICANS!!!

CBS (nothing to do with the USTA) wants Agassi-Ginepri first so they are assured of having the entire match in their 6-hour time slot...now I agree that it will not be a big deal to most Americans if tennis runs over and gets cut if Federer and Hewitt are playing...but if that happens again with Agassi...well, there were a lot of unhappy people on Wednedday night...

And the bigger match for CBS IS definitely Agassi-Genepri...last year's final between Federer and Hewitt had the lowest TV ratings since 1997 when a not so yet well known Rafter took on Rusedski...

jcm

R.Federer
09-10-2005, 02:27 AM
maybe i'm tired but i dont see your point there Oh okay.

You said that
well those are stupid fingers. it didn't detract from sampras either...it detracted from the idiots pointing accusing fingers

Part of the set of people who thought the few additional hours had a bearing on the outcome of the final was agassi. I don't think you intend to say that his pointing fingers to the long, and later, match was stupid.

Q. You can't make excuses, but is the playing field level for the person who has the second match the day before? Especially if it goes long?

ANDRE AGASSI: Well, more hours you get to recover, the better off you are. There's no really two ways around that. But you could play first and play five sets and play second and play three. So... You know, again, it's one of the things that makes it so difficult to win here, but it's also one of the things that makes it so special to win here.

federer express
09-10-2005, 02:30 AM
Oh okay.

You said that

Part of the set of people who thought the few additional hours had a bearing on the outcome of the final was agassi. I don't think you intend to say that his pointing fingers to the long, and later, match was stupid.

Q. You can't make excuses, but is the playing field level for the person who has the second match the day before? Especially if it goes long?

ANDRE AGASSI: Well, more hours you get to recover, the better off you are. There's no really two ways around that. But you could play first and play five sets and play second and play three. So... You know, again, it's one of the things that makes it so difficult to win here, but it's also one of the things that makes it so special to win here.

last thing agassi says there confirms what i was saying. people should stop pissing and moaning and just get on with it!

R.Federer
09-10-2005, 02:33 AM
last thing agassi says there confirms what i was saying. people should stop pissing and moaning and just get on with it!
No one has a choice but this thread was intended to debate whether this help to one of the Americans will work, whether it is fair, etc. It is clear --now that we have an actual player's word-- that the 2nd match winner is generally going to be at a disadvantage. Besides, I dug that up because as per what you said --I thought your point was that a few additional hours would not make any difference

PamV
09-10-2005, 02:34 AM

Agassi never looked tired in that final with Sampras. Most of the points ended quickly any way.

federer express
09-10-2005, 02:35 AM
No one has a choice but this thread was intended to debate whether this help to one of the Americans will work, whether it is fair, etc. It is clear --now that we have an actual player's word-- that the 2nd match winner is generally going to be at a disadvantage. Besides, I dug that up because as per what you said --I thought your point was that a few additional hours would not make any difference

people never go into a final in the same physical shape. some have a tough draw and five-setters all the way, others have it easy. luck and scheduling always play a part...but this is nothing new.

Paul Banks
09-10-2005, 02:38 AM
If they put Federer first, they favor Federer, so why favoring a non-American player over an American one?

R.Federer
09-10-2005, 02:58 AM
people never go into a final in the same physical shape. some have a tough draw and five-setters all the way, others have it easy. luck and scheduling always play a part...but this is nothing new.
Yes, that is true. I think the difference that the thread-starter pointed out was that being the bigger, marquee match, it was announced --at least till late last night-- that andre would go second. This new schedule change is thus beneficial to the winner of the first one. I have never got the sense that TennisAustralia or Paris does this much to help their homegrown players --leyton would say they try to hurt their own players!

Regardless, I believe Armstrong is a very decent stadium and could have concurrently held the second match. Like I said before--- I hope his match does not end up making a big difference to the result of the final

WF4EVER
09-10-2005, 03:02 AM
As soon as I heard the schedule I laughed. I laughed at Roger for saying in his interview that he expected to play Hewitt first because the Americans would be the highlight match and maybe he, if he came out the winner of his match would have a little more time to rest. I fully expected the scheduling to be as such, just as they did in 2003 to help Roddick win.

Oh, well.

R.Federer
09-10-2005, 03:06 AM
As soon as I heard the schedule I laughed. I laughed at Roger for saying in his interview that he expected to play Hewitt first because the Americans would be the highlight match and maybe he, if he came out the winner of his match would have a little more time to rest. I fully expected the scheduling to be as such, just as they did in 2003 to help Roddick win.

Oh, well.

Well Roge was told he would go first -- it was not blind speculation. McEnroe announced it while commentating during his match last night that he fully expected andre to go second, and then paused to say what he thought it might mean for his physical condition

nobama
09-10-2005, 03:07 AM

Oh, well.All we can hope for then is a long five setter btw Agassi and Ginepri and Rogi to finish off Lleyton quick.

R.Federer
09-10-2005, 03:22 AM
All we can hope for then is a long five setter btw Agassi and Ginepri and Rogi to finish off Lleyton quick.

No no, we want a good final don't we? It would be terrible if anyone's physical condition was so bad after the SF that they produced poor quality in the Final. It is just a shame that the SFs cannot be played concurrently even though they have the wherewithal at their disposal.

Lee
09-10-2005, 03:22 AM
If USO has the 1st round finished in 2 days instead of 3 days, there'll never be this problem with SFs on Saturday and Finals on Sunday.

R.Federer
09-10-2005, 03:23 AM
If USO has the 1st round finished in 2 days instead of 3 days, there'll never be this problem with SFs on Saturday and Finals on Sunday.
So long as the fat nabobs running the Television are rich with ratings and money, why would they bother to do such a thing? (ANNOYING CBS AND USA CHANNELS)

TenHound
09-10-2005, 04:00 AM
Are you serious? CBS will cut off the semis if they run over?? Does anyone know about this? Who would we call to be sure this does not happen??

Otherwise, I think the thread misses the point. Every other Major gives players 2 days bet. semis & final. That's what needs to be changed. Given that AA is the Cash Cow for the tour, I can't believe they haven't moved mens semis to Fri. evening. The final is so compromised this way. This should be the Best of the Best Tennis and it cannot possibly be 'cuz the players aren't rested. Plus it radically skews the final toward the youngest player, or one w/least energy intensive style (Pete over AA). Ratings Fri. evening would be great. This is just Exhibit A of Ugly Americanism at work. Infuriates me every year. Screw the quality of the tennis, just so the Greedy Pigs @CBS can make a few more bucks.

So, for the final we have a choice of a wiped out AA or a who wants to see him anyway, Ginepri. Yuck. Good work CBS.

Rafa = Fed Killa
09-10-2005, 04:04 AM
Y should they give Federer the advantage of an earlier match?

dmit424
09-10-2005, 04:04 AM
It's horrible that they have the semis and finals, of all rounds, back to back. The semis, technically, should be the 2nd toughest match for the top-seed of that half, and the Finals the toughest match for both participants... So it makes little sense to put the two matches that should be the most physically straining of all, back to back... TV ratings, I guess. With all this talk of the USOpen being so fan friendly, I'm thinking it might be too fan-friendly.

RonE
09-10-2005, 05:06 AM
With all this talk of the USOpen being so fan friendly, I'm thinking it might be too fan-friendly.

Money talks and BS walks. That is ultimately what the whole issue boils down to.

Rafa = Fed Killa
09-10-2005, 05:12 AM
Money talks...so true

TenHound
09-10-2005, 05:12 AM
If anyone thinks it's too fan friendly, google up the ticket price for the men's semis. I was flabbergasted. I figured the "Subway seats" would be $25 - since they're horrible, you can't see shit & would be much better off at home in front of the tv - but No they're ~$275!! Good seats are ten times that much. Add searching, lines, transportation...and "fan friendly" is where exactly??

Rafa = Fed Killa
09-10-2005, 05:15 AM
275 and good seats ten times as much??

What the...no way are tickets over a grand.

TenHound
09-10-2005, 05:20 AM
Google baby. I saw tickets on sale for up to ~$3500/ticket. $50 for parking.