Agassi has become a media darling [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Agassi has become a media darling

LLeytonRules
09-09-2005, 11:32 PM
I respect Agassi's game but i am tired of all the junk that has been fed to us!I cant stand it.They are trying to find anyway to make Agassi fresh for the final, should he get there!He is playing the first match tomorrow.I think its a big joke if u asked me.I hope Ginepri takes him out so it can be blown up!

Gigan
09-09-2005, 11:42 PM
I respect Agassi's game but i am tired of all the junk that has been fed to us!I cant stand it.They are trying to find anyway to make Agassi fresh for the final, should he get there!He is playing the first match tomorrow.I think its a big joke if u asked me.I hope Ginepri takes him out so it can be blown up!

why you are interesting in tennis in principle?

without Andre it will be poor to watch final!

if u asked me:
most nice US Open 2005 final would be
Agassi-Blake, or Agassi-Roddick, sorry
for David Nalbandian, he was not ready
I consider Roddick's absence just as a bad luck..

LLeytonRules
09-09-2005, 11:44 PM
Because the american public are homers!I hope Ginepri blows Agassi's doors off.

Gigan
09-09-2005, 11:46 PM

please forget and do not follow tennis... :wavey:

rofe
09-09-2005, 11:47 PM

I agree - it is indeed a sad state of affairs when they hide one mistake (Super Saturday) by commiting another (re-scheduling Agassi's match).

2003 anyone? :p

PaulieM
09-09-2005, 11:49 PM
become a media darling? it's not exactly like this just happend last week. :shrug: as for the schedule, is anyone surprised?

JeNn
09-09-2005, 11:53 PM
Virtually all champions become media darlings as they get older and more vulnerable. There is something endearing about vulnerability.

andre the great
09-10-2005, 12:30 AM
I think Dre deserves massive respect for what he has achieved ( all 4 slams) that and the fact that he can still produce magical nights like Wednesday shows that every true fan of this sport must have a soft spot for him somewhere.I mean when I was growing up when Wimby was on all the kids pretended to be Borg, Mac or Jimbo. Becker captured the imagination as well. Andre in 92 was magic. He made people give a shit about tennis. When he won the French in 99 it was massive news . He puts tennis in the front pages and everyone from Fedex down appreciates that. So I wish him the best of luck this weekend . He is a proper legend.

NYCtennisfan
09-10-2005, 12:37 AM
When was AGassi not a media darling?

R.Federer
09-10-2005, 12:48 AM
Wow, can't believe they moved Agassi's match to the first one. They are making it even more painfully obvious what they think of his aging body and his chances for Sunday if he were to win a long 5-set match that played after Roge's.

andre the great
09-10-2005, 12:51 AM
His chances on Sunday would obviously be improved if he had a quick match against Robby and if Hewitt did the business. Still take the first set against Fed and we can all get out the popcorn

R.Federer
09-10-2005, 12:55 AM
It is very difficult to root against andre this year, in what might be his final open but also because it has all lined up so well for him and he has found himself within a match of the final. I am sure, like Pete, it would be the last match he would play were he to win. He sure deserves to go out with a bang for the physical injuries he has borne and the graciousness with which he applauds his opponents. Of course, Roge/ robby and leyton are not interested in giving him that sendoff.

Blaze
09-10-2005, 01:03 AM
It is very difficult to root against andre this year, in what might be his final open but also because it has all lined up so well for him and he has found himself within a match of the final. I am sure, like Pete, it would be the last match he would play were he to win. He sure deserves to go out with a bang for the physical injuries he has borne and the graciousness with which he applauds his opponents. Of course, Roge/ robby and leyton are not interested in giving him that sendoff.

Thats the thing. I think most of the players and fans will be happy if Andre won one more major before he retires but if that happens, we will never here the end of it from the media :rolleyes:

They have already overworked the Blake story (great comeback :worship: ) and if Agassi was to win, imagine what we will be enduring for the next two years

MissMoJo
09-10-2005, 01:04 AM
Wow, can't believe they moved Agassi's match to the first one. They are making it even more painfully obvious what they think of his aging body and his chances for Sunday if he were to win a long 5-set match that played after Roge's.
they did? :eek: *sigh. I'm hoping it won't make a difference

R.Federer
09-10-2005, 01:07 AM
they did? :eek: *sigh. I'm hoping it won't make a difference
Yeah, USO has always been pro-US players in scheduling, but as late as end of Roge's match last night they said that agassi would be the later match. This is the first I hear of the change. Well, hopefully regardless of who wins the first match, it doesn't go to a long 5-setter. I wish they would just do concurrently at Armstrong and one at Ashe to be fair to all.

aceit
09-10-2005, 01:08 AM
HAS become? :lol:

Fi-Fi
09-10-2005, 01:14 AM
HAS become? :lol:
so true :haha:

superpinkone37
09-10-2005, 01:25 AM
I know, seriously...when has he NOT been? :lol:

MissMoJo
09-10-2005, 01:30 AM
So yeah, he's always been. i guess with andy out of the tournament, the focus became agassi and james ,with the former getting the lion's share.Ginepri and his comeback get a mention every now and then. The commetators find a way to work agassi into practically every match they call, relevant or not. Even given his achievements, they're going overboard. Them rescheduling his match is par for the course

MisterQ
09-10-2005, 01:34 AM
I heard speculation that Andre would play the later match, but I thought that was just speculation. How do we know that the match was moved?

The marquee match-up should be the second match, and I think Federer/Hewitt is fitting for that, as higher-ranked players and last year's finalists.

PamV
09-10-2005, 01:35 AM

Now that you mention it, that does make sense. When I saw that the Federer-Hewitt match was scheduled later....for the evening, I was quite surprised. Usually they consider Agassi as their main attraction especially when he is playing another American.

R.Federer
09-10-2005, 01:36 AM
I heard speculation that Andre would play the later match, but I thought that was just speculation. How do we know that the match was moved?

The marquee match-up should be the second match, and I think Federer/Hewitt is fitting for that, as higher-ranked players and last years' finalists.

They are not giving Federer-hewitt the second match because they consider it the marquee match. This is only done with a view to giving andre more time to recuperate should he win
With all the love they have for andre, any match he plays is the marquee match. Yet it will not go on second

lunahielo
09-10-2005, 02:00 AM
I hope Andre comes in second in this tournament. ;)

joycomesmorning
09-10-2005, 02:30 AM
I agree - it is indeed a sad state of affairs when they hide one mistake (Super Saturday) by commiting another (re-scheduling Agassi's match).

2003 anyone? :p
TOTALLY WRONG IN YOUR ASSUMPTIONS!!! This is 100% a CBS move...they don't want to take any chances in having both matches run long (or some unexpected delay with weather or injuries, etc)...and run out of time for the Agassi match (he's the guy who gets the ratings that pays the bills)...

Agassi-Genepri is first BECAUSE CBS wants it that way...

Last year, the final between Federer and Hewitt drew the lowest ratings (mens and/or womens since the 1997 US Open final between a just barely getting to be known Rafter and Rusedski....

It's a business decision...

jcm

oneandonlyhsn
09-10-2005, 03:12 AM
Agassi has always been a media darling, he was hated before and after he married Graff he is everybodys lovely happy guy :yawn:

mangoes
09-10-2005, 03:25 AM
I'm the biggest Federer fan....................well next to a couple of people on this board, lololol...........but I appreciate Andre and I will not be completely upset if he wins this final Grand Slam...........oooohhhhh that hurt me to say, sorry Roger.........lolol

dmit424
09-10-2005, 03:39 AM
If Andre vs. Federer is the finals to be, I will cheer for Fed all out. I am getting sick of the old man blowing his nose into the air and telling ball boys where to move, all the while trying to act like some priest to the fans at the stadium... I respect him, but all this, and the media sagging on his sack just gets old, especially if you weren't born American and it's not in your blood to naturally cheer for him. I will be rooting for Ginepri.

Gigan
09-10-2005, 03:57 AM
Andre will play in the first match, fans. You can relax now.
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/images/headers/uo08100g1.gif

Day 13: Saturday, 10 September

Arthur Ashe 12.00 NOON Start

1. Men's Singles - Semis
Robby Ginepri (USA)
vs. Andre Agassi (USA)[7]

Not Before 3:00 PM
2. Men's Singles - Semis
Roger Federer (SUI)[1]
vs. Lleyton Hewitt (AUS)[3]

Rafa = Fed Killa
09-10-2005, 04:01 AM
I thought Federer fans had more confidence.
Are you afraid that a few hours of rest will make a 35 yr old that much better.

The crowd and Andre's heart will be Fed's undoing this year, not extra rest.

oneandonlyhsn
09-10-2005, 04:28 AM
I thought Federer fans had more confidence.
Are you afraid that a few hours of rest will make a 35 yr old that much better.

The crowd and Andre's heart will be Fed's undoing this year, not extra rest.

:p

TenHound
09-10-2005, 04:39 AM
Andre's the "media darling" 'cuz he's the Cash Cow of the Tour. Pete never sold one damn ticket. AA sells out everything. (Steffi doesn't get nearly enough credit for his turnaround. It Never Ever would have happened w/out her nullifying that virulent unforgiving father he internalized.)

AgassiFan
09-10-2005, 04:46 AM
. I respect him

No, you do not. Be honest with yourself.

but all this, and the media sagging on his sack just gets old, especially if you weren't born American and it's not in your blood to naturally cheer for him. I will be rooting for Ginepri.

I wasn't born in the US - and I've rooting for Agassi since 91 RG when I was 7 years old. Fuck you.

AgassiFan
09-10-2005, 04:54 AM
.Steffi doesn't get nearly enough credit for his turnaround It Never Ever would have happened w/out her nullifying that virulent unforgiving father he internalized)

But...but...but... He's a great boxer who knows more about tennis than all the coaches and textbooks do combined.

;)

AZILANA
09-10-2005, 07:46 AM
well, he's always been a darling of mine...

andre the great
09-10-2005, 09:11 AM
Come on Andre put tennis back in the mainstream consciousness. Grand Slam number 9 . I will die smiling

Black Adam
09-10-2005, 09:19 AM
Any it doesn't harm to play the last semis on super saturday; remember Roddick was still ok physically in 2003 after that marathon semi;)
Besides Roger and Lleyton are one of the fittest players around whereas AA at his age needs as much rest as he can get ;):)

Action Jackson
09-10-2005, 09:27 AM
Ah! Agassi he can water into wine, he can cure global warming, world hunger, end the growing income inequality, find the cure for cancer and AIDS. Agassi will solve the Middle East crisis between Isreal and Palestine, he will manage to reign in the oil crisis, through his own charisma he'll able to improve global literacy to 99% in the developing world, provide palatable drinking water to poorer regions.

G O
09-10-2005, 09:33 AM
Ah! Agassi he can water into wine, he can cure global warming, world hunger, end the growing income inequality, find the cure for cancer and AIDS. Agassi will solve the Middle East crisis between Isreal and Palestine, he will manage to reign in the oil crisis, through his own charisma he'll able to improve global literacy to 99% in the developing world, provide palatable drinking water to poorer regions.

Your proud of that one aren't you. :rolleyes:

irma
09-10-2005, 09:45 AM
Yeah Boris B also claimed that they rigged the schedules in 95 to get an Andre-Petey final. Now I don't like Boris B but I think he might have been right this case!

Btw that's not the fault of the players though!

binkygirl
09-10-2005, 10:03 AM
This thread is funny to me, because I can remember when Andre was not so loved by the media and was even called 'Gagassi' by one reporter. Its a cyclical thing for any public personality to be loved and not so loved.

nobama
09-10-2005, 05:26 PM
Yeah Boris B also claimed that they rigged the schedules in 95 to get an Andre-Petey final. Now I don't like Boris B but I think he might have been right this case!

Btw that's not the fault of the players though!Well according to CBS, Andre requested he play first on 'Super Saturday' and they granted his wish. And John McEnroe admitted it helps Agassi by playing first.

sigmagirl91
09-10-2005, 05:27 PM
The truth of the matter is, even if you don't like him, he does sell. No one else-not even Roger or Rafa-has the star power that he has.

R.Federer
09-10-2005, 06:02 PM
The truth of the matter is, even if you don't like him, he does sell. No one else-not even Roger or Rafa-has the star power that he has.
Yes in the US this is true. The audience seems much more tennis savvy in Australia and at Wimbledon and are interested in seeing the best players, not just legends

tangerine_dream
09-10-2005, 07:37 PM
Yes in the US this is true. The audience seems much more tennis savvy in Australia and at Wimbledon and are interested in seeing the best players, not just legends
Apparently some of you knowledgeable types in Europe are not aware that Agassi is not only a legend but he IS one of the best players in the world still (and therefore, why he's a legend).

oneandonlyhsn
09-10-2005, 07:54 PM
Apparently some of you knowledgeable types in Europe are not aware that Agassi is not only a legend but he IS one of the best players in the world still (and therefore, why he's a legend).

:rolleyes: Can we plz stop with the rest of the world hates American crap its getting really old, but then again you qoute Peter Bodo so :lol:

tangerine_dream
09-10-2005, 08:29 PM
:rolleyes: Can we plz stop with the rest of the world hates American crap its getting really old, but then again you qoute Peter Bodo so :lol:
The only thing older than my defense of America is the constant paranoid anti-American crap posted in GM.