RF about Hewwit match - just read this!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

RF about Hewwit match - just read this!!

DDrago2
09-09-2005, 08:39 PM
By Bill Barclay

NEW YORK, Sept 9 (Reuters) - To everyone but his opponents, Roger Federer is one of the nicest guys in sport.

Asked if he thought his U.S. Open semi-final opponent Lleyton Hewitt, whom he has beaten eight times in a row, ought to try some new tactics in Saturday's showdown, Federer gave a startling response.

"He could, you know," the Swiss said with a wicked grin. "But then again, he could run into the knife even more brutally."

Federer followed that with an ever-so-slightly demonic chuckle before restoring usual service with a diplomatic follow-up.

"He knows he's not far away. I know if I'm not on top of my game, I'm losing to Lleyton, and he knows that. I expect a tough match."

That will not be the bit his Australian opponent remembers, however.

gillian
09-09-2005, 08:46 PM
Comedy. Actually, the post-match interview from last night was one of Roger's best and most candid.

PaulieM
09-09-2005, 08:50 PM
"wicked grin," "demonic chuckle" somebody is quite creative with their adjectives. if you read the whole interview it was actually one of roger's best yet, very honest and insightful.

warmy
09-09-2005, 08:53 PM
:haha: :haha: :rolls: :haha: :haha:

Roger :worship:

1sun
09-09-2005, 09:21 PM
lol, when i read that, i was like, its about damn time we start hearing things like that from roger, now prove it mate

bad gambler
09-09-2005, 09:38 PM
c'mon rusty

adee-gee
09-09-2005, 09:58 PM
c'mon rusty

I'll second that

Clara Bow
09-09-2005, 10:12 PM
Actually, the post-match interview from last night was one of Roger's best and most candid.

I agree- I really enjoyed when he talked about how his loss to Horna at RG was one of the most important in his career.

Really good interview.

R.Federer
09-09-2005, 10:20 PM
I too agree with Clara. Roge speaks good spoken English, but is obviously not comfortable with idioms and such things. Did anyone see the way he says these things? They are not with "demonic grins" or "wicked chuckles"

But I can understand, they really need some bad blood to thicken the plot and get fans on opposite sides to be mad, so Bill Barclay has to resort to such things

TenHound
09-09-2005, 10:24 PM
Make that a Rusty Knife, Rog.

Wonder if he was practicing all his spins v. Nalby to get ready for Baby Hewie.

1sun
09-09-2005, 10:26 PM
I too agree with Clara. Roge speaks good spoken English, but is obviously not comfortable with idioms and such things. Did anyone see the way he says these things? They are not with "demonic grins" or "wicked chuckles"

But I can understand, they really need some bad blood to thicken the plot and get fans on opposite sides to be mad, so Bill Barclay has to resort to such things
its the art of jourlisam

garylanders
09-09-2005, 10:31 PM
"He could, you know," the Swiss said with a wicked grin. "But then again, he could run into the knife even more brutally."

Classic stuff :)

Turkeyballs Paco
09-09-2005, 10:46 PM
Yeah, I saw that article. Cocky arrogant bastard! ;)

It's ok if Federer says it, but our dear sweet Lleyton couldn't pull that off without a lot of backlash.

C'mon Lleyton!

PamV
09-09-2005, 10:51 PM
The snippet you give is shows nothing out of the ordinary. I don't know if you are implying that what Federer said was arrogant.....because it doesn't sound that way to me. Especially what he says at the end is giving credit to Hewitt and saying it will be a tough match.

"He knows he's not far away. I know if I'm not on top of my game, I'm losing to Lleyton, and he knows that. I expect a tough match."

PamV
09-09-2005, 10:54 PM

It sounds like a bull fighting metaphor to say he may run into the knife more brutally.

PamV
09-09-2005, 10:55 PM
Yeah, I saw that article. Cocky arrogant bastard! ;)

It's ok if Federer says it, but our dear sweet Lleyton couldn't pull that off without a lot of backlash.

C'mon Lleyton!

Hewitt gets backlash over everything and that's unfair. But I still want Roger to win of course! I expect it to be a tough match.

rofe
09-09-2005, 10:55 PM
It is funny how reporters embellish words to get a more sensational effect. I saw that interview and it was simply Fed's attempt at humor. What he said was true though. Both of them probably know each other's game very well (having met 18 times now) and Fed's guess is that Hewitt is not going to change his game drastically to defeat Fed just like Fed is not going to change his. It would be suicide for Hewitt to try new things too many times in a semi-final.

I do agree with Hewitt fans though that had Hewitt said those words, it would have been blown out of proportion quite quickly.

onewoman74
09-09-2005, 11:19 PM
CNNI sports showed that clip this morning...it was funny!! The press corps was laughing at the comment and Roger DID have a wicked grin... it wasn't said in a mean spirited way.

andre the great
09-09-2005, 11:48 PM
I think Rog would actually cherish a proper challenge from Hewitt. I f your going to win this competition its good to feel that you have overcome bloody tough obstacles to do it. I honestly think he will get bored and drop down a level if someone doesn't face up properly to him soon.

dmit424
09-10-2005, 12:26 AM
That wasn't arrogant. Federer is just really confident and respected so he will say that without backlash.. It is perfectly understandable. I'll be cheering my heart out for Hewitt, hopefully to SOME avail.

PamV
09-10-2005, 12:32 AM
I think Rog would actually cherish a proper challenge from Hewitt. I f your going to win this competition its good to feel that you have overcome bloody tough obstacles to do it. I honestly think he will get bored and drop down a level if someone doesn't face up properly to him soon.

He was once asked whether he prefers a tight match or a straight sets crushing, and he said he prefers to win in a straight sets crushing. I am sure that it all LOOKS way more easy to us that it does to him! This is only the semi so the smart thing would be for him to want to win easily to save energy for the final.

Dirk
09-10-2005, 05:00 AM
Perhaps Roger is taking my ninja nickname for him to heart. ;)

Becarina
09-10-2005, 06:10 AM
Roger has a sense of humor! :yeah:

Consigliere
09-10-2005, 06:44 AM
Lleyton loves being the underdog.

DDrago2
09-10-2005, 09:43 AM
I just thought it's a strange metaphore to be used by a tennis player, "run into the knife even more brutaly". I actually liked it :-)

Rex
09-10-2005, 10:18 AM
i know roger is the best in the world- but that is a little arrogent even for his standards- i mean i like roger for his continual respect for any player he plays.

deliveryman
09-10-2005, 02:36 PM
i know roger is the best in the world- but that is a little arrogent even for his standards- i mean i like roger for his continual respect for any player he plays.

I don't see how, in any way that was arrogant.

It was Roger's attempt at a joke.

mangoes
09-10-2005, 02:42 PM
The snippet you give is shows nothing out of the ordinary. I don't know if you are implying that what Federer said was arrogant.....because it doesn't sound that way to me. Especially what he says at the end is giving credit to Hewitt and saying it will be a tough match.

I laughed, it was funny and not disrespectful of Lleyton in any way.

R.Federer
09-10-2005, 02:45 PM
Maybe it is something special in Schweizer-Deutsch, and he translated directly :shrug:

Anyway, he is not a perfect speaker of English phrases and idioms, so this is such a big deal out of nothing.

The Pro
09-10-2005, 08:33 PM
I don't see how, in any way that was arrogant.

It was Roger's attempt at a joke.

A very successful attempt at a joke too.

LMAO, and all that...

alfonsojose
09-10-2005, 11:15 PM
Who cares about JesusFed? Hewitt is bigger and his wife is fat 'coz she's pregnant, not jealousy for a cow :p

its.like.that
09-10-2005, 11:19 PM
Maybe it is something special in Schweizer-Deutsch, and he translated directly :shrug:

Anyway, he is not a perfect speaker of English phrases and idioms, so this is such a big deal out of nothing.

Roger is right.

Hewitt is shit.

alelysafina
09-10-2005, 11:33 PM
Does anyone know if the interview is on a video clip?

R.Federer
09-11-2005, 12:06 AM
Not that part, aleyasafina. They gave a very short video clip on USO site

alelysafina
09-11-2005, 12:39 AM
:sad: