Can Sushi make a Dent??? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Can Sushi make a Dent???

tennischick
07-28-2002, 03:41 PM
Correjta spanks the Cold Fish!!!! :eek:

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/ap_photo/20020728/all/l590430.jpg

KITZBUEHEL, Austria (AP) -- Alex Corretja beat French Open finalist Juan Carlos Ferrero 6-4, 6-1, 6-3 Sunday to win the $1 million Generali Open for the second time.

Corretja, a Spaniard seeded eighth, knocked off French Open champion and top-seeded Albert Costa in the quarterfinals en route to his 17th career ATP Tour title.

He also won this clay-court event in 2000.

"I think I played one of my best tennis tournaments this year. I beat three of the top players on clay. Now I just feel incredibly happy," Corretja said.

He's the first player to win the Generali Open without dropping a set since Filip Dewulf of Belgium in 1997.

"Not dropping a set is incredible. I hope next time I do drop one, I will not smash my racket against the fence," said Corretja, who won $140,000 to push his career earnings near $10 million.

The Cold Fish had 43 unforced errors. :eek:

Chloe le Bopper
07-28-2002, 03:54 PM
*snicker*

Nice tourney for Alex.

Dissident
07-28-2002, 04:11 PM
Jesus, I didnt notice he hadnt drop a set! :eek:
Wow, he used to play well on the hard courts too, I hope this gives him confidence!
:bounce:

Congrats, Alex!

tennischick
07-29-2002, 11:40 AM
not only did he not drop a set but the scores were incredible. Ferrero must still be wondering what hit him! ;)

harry_potter
07-29-2002, 11:58 AM
alex must be on great form now! :D :bounce: :D :bounce: :D

Layla
07-29-2002, 12:06 PM
Actually, tennischick, Ferrero does know what hit him. Alex whacked the ball straight into his body at the net and then apologies profusely. Juanqui tried to dodge the bullet but couldn't. That must have hurt. He was already being spanked. :mad:

I feel sorry for Juanqui (ooops, I must be in the wrong thread) :sad:.

But good for Alex! :D

Btw, no Spanish player can be sushi, imo. Not even the perpetually forlorn Ferrero. ;)

tennischick
07-29-2002, 12:10 PM
Ferrero is the exception, trust me Layla. then again wasn't he raised on hardcourts while the rest of the Spaniards dutifully inhaled dirt? ;)

i don't mind it when the guys go for each other at the net like that. they can handle it. i have a harder time when i see one of the Amazons on the WTAtour doing this to a Meilen Tu or someone equally petite. i know that i have a double standard on this issue and may quite possibly be being quite sexist. i wonder if i can get Alex to spank me for this..:eek: !

Layla
07-29-2002, 12:16 PM
lol, Alex can spank me anytime :D

the cat
07-29-2002, 08:16 PM
What's with Ferrero and finals? I am shocked that he now gets blown out in finals by players he is better than. That point is indesputable! :eek:

I'm with TC! :bounce: I don't mind it when the men go for each other with the ball. As long as it's below the shoulders. But I don't like it when when the "Amazons", as TC calls them, go after the lightweights of women's tennis. That's so unecessary! :mad:

Tennischick, do you really want a spanking because of your double standard? ;) The line will be long! :eek:

Layla
07-29-2002, 09:54 PM
I wasn't trying to suggest that I mind Alex slamming that ball into his body. I'm acutally glad he was in such an agressive mood. I just suggested Ferrero knew what hit him (i.e. Alex). I was trying to be funny and apparently failed miserably. :sad:

the cat - Ferrero did beat a red hot, albeit sligtly injured, Moya in Monte Carlo, so not all his finals were a disaster. In his defence, Alex played some of his best tennis that day. I know that's a tired phrase, but it was never more true. And so did Costa in RG. Some of the things they did shouldn't be allowed. :) Don't you find it peculiar that in RG Costa totally destroyed both Alex and Juanqui, and now Alex did exactly the same to Costa and Juanqui?

You're right about one thing though. Juanqui has a bit of a mental problem at the moment. He seemed nervous and unsure of himself in both finals, and he kept making really strange mistakes. I can understand why he would do so in RG. He was injured, not just his ankle, he tore an abdominal muscle as well, which made it hard for him to serve and as a result lost his confidence. But there was no excuse for him serving badly in Kitzbuhl, he was perfectly fit. Maybe he became demoralised when he saw how well Alex was playing.

Ferrero needs to build his confidence fast, and getting to a final again can only help him, so here's hoping that he finally gets out of his slump once and for all. :)

Chloe le Bopper
07-29-2002, 10:27 PM
"Ferrero is the exception, trust me Layla. then again wasn't he raised on hardcourts while the rest of the Spaniards dutifully inhaled dirt?"

He did play on hard courts a lot untill he was 14.

tennischick
07-29-2002, 10:27 PM
hey Layla, how did you become a senior member so fast? :eek:

i agree about ferrero's new tentativeness and i suspect that that may be part of the legacy of being injured. you end up scared to death that you may re-injure yourself and end up playing a more constrained game as a result, instead of hitting out as freely as you did before. it's a mental thing. i hope he gets past it. Rebecca needs someone to root for after all. and i need someone to torment her with...;) ;)

Layla
07-29-2002, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by tennischick
Rebecca needs someone to root for after all. and i need someone to torment her with...;) ;)

lol

I became a senior one night when I played games way too long. ;) Besides, I post a lot and I'm here all the time.

I totally agree with you about the injury factor. It is the root of all Ferrero's evils. :fiery:

But Rebecca will always root for Juanqui, no matter how low she drops in the rankings, right Becca? ;)

Chloe le Bopper
07-29-2002, 11:47 PM
I certaintly hope "she" ;) doesn't drop too far in the rankings, but yes for course I will.

Unless I find out he is a despicable person who steals candy from babies :o I will root for him :D

As for the root of all Ferrero's evils, I like to blame that on Younes.

Layla
07-29-2002, 11:58 PM
Younes :fiery:

I wince every time I hear his name. :rolleyes: Who do you think Ferrero was playing when he was struck by one of his injuries in Dubai?

Sorry, I didn't mean to turn Juanqui into a woman. :eek: That would be a sad loss indeed.

the cat
07-30-2002, 01:21 AM
You're right Layla! Not all of Ferrero's finals this year been disasters. But I think we expected more of JCF this year. And he hasn't delivered. Becoming a great player in men's tennis is truly very difficult ! :eek:

Pea
07-30-2002, 02:01 AM
From all this, he gets injured again.:(

Chloe le Bopper
07-30-2002, 02:17 AM
:( Alex is injured? :( I wanted to see him in Toronto :sad:

the cat - Ferrero missed the aussie season injured, and had many first round losses on clay - but did reaach two finals and win a masters series.

he isn't doing as well as some had expected, but he's doing alright considering the injuries.

He is still pretty safe at number 6 in the race.

Pea
07-30-2002, 02:51 AM
His abdominal pain has resurfaced.:(

tennischick
07-30-2002, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by Layla
Younes :fiery:

I wince every time I hear his name. :rolleyes: Who do you think Ferrero was playing when he was struck by one of his injuries in Dubai?

Sorry, I didn't mean to turn Juanqui into a woman. :eek: That would be a sad loss indeed.

hey you two stop picking on Younes. it's not his fault that the Cold Fish is terrified of him. i believe it's the afro. that's what gives Juanquess grief. :angel: :angel:

Layla
07-30-2002, 09:29 AM
What do you mean his abdominal pain has resurfaced? :eek: Where did you hear that? Please, God, don't let it be a reliable source...

Chloe le Bopper
07-30-2002, 12:29 PM
Layla, she means Alex, not Ferrero - but :( I hope its just a tummy ache :(

TC- Younes is evil :eek:

Pea
07-30-2002, 12:47 PM
She?!?!?! Pfff@Becca!:rolleyes:;)

tennischick
07-31-2002, 03:01 AM
OK i'm confused. whose abdominal pain has returned, Juanquess ;) or Alex :lick: ? :confused: :confused:

Chloe le Bopper
07-31-2002, 05:31 AM
Alex's has returned.

Ferrero looked just fine today :lick: though he did get treated for blisters.

I sat through all three hours of his wonderful match :lick: and enjoyed every second :o

I took 20 pictures :o

I love Sushi :hearts:

Layla
07-31-2002, 11:09 AM
You are soooooooooooo lucky! :D What I wouldn't give to see him in person. How close to the court did you sit? Do post all 20 pictures, so I can drool a little. :drool:

tennischick
07-31-2002, 11:19 AM
oh please, will the two of you form your own lusting thread and leave my thread alone? this thread is for a celebration of his losses grilling experiences. btw, who does he face in the next round? who will get the honor of grilling his backside? ;)

Layla
07-31-2002, 11:40 AM
:p :D

I love this thread. I have no intention of leaving it alone. :D Your thread would be dead without us anyway. :p What can I say, people just LOOOVEEE sushi. :)

The next person to don the chef's hat is a weird dude from Austria called Stefan Koubek. I actually quite like him, he's funny. There, now you have someone new to cheer for! ;)

Btw, why would anyone want to grill sushi? Isn't it supposed to be eaten raw. Yummy! :lick:

tennischick
07-31-2002, 11:50 AM
go Koubek!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

the problem with eating Cold Fish is that you could get salmonella...;) ;) or something equally deadly. Koubek had better be careful...:o :o

the cat
07-31-2002, 09:41 PM
Becca, Ferrero is sixth in the points race? What's points race? The ATP Points Race? Not that again! :mad: Marat Safin is second in the points race. And he hasn't even won a title this year! :eek: Making the ATP Points Race relatively unimportant in my eyes!

By the way Becca, you make good points about Ferrero's injuries. That has played a factor in his struggles this year.

TC loves cold fish! She eats it, too! :eek: TC has been known to devour Barracuda, teeth and all! ;) Giving her an intimidating edge! Yikes! :eek: But what's best about TC is her vast tennis knowledge! :) She should be writing for a variety of tennis magaines! :bounce: But we're glad to have her all to ourselves on the internet! :kiss:

TheBoiledEgg
07-31-2002, 09:43 PM
Sushi got grilled .......... i take it to be the equivelant of the Potato Peelers thread :eek:

poor Sushi ( i meant Ferrero)

Layla
07-31-2002, 10:21 PM
the cat - Safin is also second in the entry system, so he must be doing something right ;) Actually, at this stage of the year, the championship race and the entry system are starting to look pretty similar. And Ferrero is 8th in the entry system. Not too far from 6, wouldn't you say? :)

the cat
07-31-2002, 11:15 PM
Yes Layla, I would say! :) Good counterpoints! :bounce:

tennischick
08-01-2002, 01:42 AM
yeah Egg, it's another peeler thread except that the focus is on a particular brand of pescado frio..:o :o

yeah Koubek!!!!!!!!!! i knew he could do it. he pounded Sushi 7-5 6-3...:eek: :eek: :bounce:

Layla
08-01-2002, 02:14 AM
Sushiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!! :sad: :sad: :sad:

I hope that doesn't kill this thread. I sure would miss it. ;)

tennischick
08-01-2002, 03:22 AM
this thread isn't going anywhere. not with Grillers like Koubek hanging around...:p :p

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38081000/jpg/_38081614_koubek100.jpg

or if you prefer to see red...

http://www.rowztennis.com/gallery/galleryimgs/gall22_koubek_lg.jpg

TheBoiledEgg
08-01-2002, 03:25 AM
now i wish it was Enqvist who had grilled him
now DH has a bye into QF

Layla
08-01-2002, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by tennischick
or if you prefer to see red...

lmao, tennischick :D

tennischick
08-01-2002, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by TheBoiledEgg
now i wish it was Enqvist who had grilled him
now DH has a bye into QF

Eggy who's DH? :confused: i was under the impression that only Pavel has gotten a semi-walkover...

personally i don't care who scorches Sushi as long as he gets burned!!! :eek: :eek:

TheBoiledEgg
08-01-2002, 09:50 AM
DH= dickhead

Chloe le Bopper
08-02-2002, 06:32 AM
Koubek was too solid, and ferrero was making too many errors.

I sat right behind Ferrero's chair for both his matches. I was spoiled, the first 3 times i have seen him live he won, so it had to stop sooner or later.

Anyhow I got about 30 pics of his loveliness all together, and I will develop them and scan the best ones on in the next few weeks if I can find a scanner.

But Ferrero fans shouldn't be sad, Koubek is alright.

He's as exciting as a brick in a wall, but I like him now - he works hard for every point, he's pretty quick, and is pretty solid all around.

As I said, Ferrero was having a semi bad day, and Koubek wasn't playing the match of his life exactly either, but he was just solid enough.

The only thing that kept his loveliness in the second set so it wasn't 6-1 or something, was his serve. He served a whole game where he didn't have to hit the ball once after serving, then another where there was only one rally.

But Koubek was beating him off the ground from the baseline.

tennischick
08-02-2002, 02:17 PM
his loveliness? :o :o

by the way, did Chef Koubek wear his yellow pants or has he finally used them all up? :eek:

Layla
08-02-2002, 03:42 PM
lol, his loveliness *nods approvingly* :hearts:

I think Koubek's yellow pants are hilarous. He should never stop wearing them. They go well with his hair. :p

Chloe le Bopper
08-02-2002, 06:04 PM
Koubek had a yellow shirt, and black shorts.

Sorry to ruin your dream TC :o

When i scan my Ferrero pics in a few weeks I will be sure to post his beautiful self in your thread :eek:

tennischick
08-03-2002, 01:49 AM
gosh i really look forward to that..:p :p

by the way, i hope you also managed to squeeze in a couple of pictures of Chef Koubek. those you can feel free to post. ;) ;)

Chloe le Bopper
08-03-2002, 01:50 AM
I'm not sure I took one of Koubek :o

I was too distracted by his loveliness :o

tennischick
08-03-2002, 01:53 AM
there's no accounting for taste is there...? ;) ;)

Chloe le Bopper
08-03-2002, 02:01 AM
pffft you haven't seen him in real life :fiery:

He's nice lookin in real life :o

tennischick
08-08-2002, 03:07 PM
today his loveliness :o comes up against...http://www.tennisreporters.net/tr.net_photos_art/DENT_sm_wb_01_head.jpg...

TheBoiledEgg
08-08-2002, 03:10 PM
WTF is that ????

John.Charles
08-08-2002, 06:15 PM
Dent has the serve but no game.

Sushi has it all. ;)

Nimi
08-08-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by jcsting
Dent has the serve but no game.

Sushi has it all. ;)

Ugh i dont wanna start arguing...

Sushi is Alex? :confused:

TheBoiledEgg
08-08-2002, 06:42 PM
Sushi is Juanqui
they meet later today

Nimi
08-08-2002, 06:46 PM
So Alex is cold fish? Im too confused...

TheBoiledEgg
08-08-2002, 06:51 PM
Sushi is an uncooked fish therefore cold

Juanqui was named coldfish by TC before, now he is Sushi (has he gone upmarket ;) )

Nimi
08-08-2002, 06:59 PM
Hrmmmm..... Got it! You guys are weird :p

Chloe le Bopper
08-08-2002, 07:08 PM
I sure hope that Sushi can extract the Dent :fiery:

I decided I rather like Dent, after seeing him be such a good sport (unlike other certain young americans) - but not today :p

TennisHack
08-08-2002, 08:12 PM
Well, Juanqui is wearing all-white :mad: but he hasn't been broken yet. They are playing the tiebreak right now.

TennisHack
08-08-2002, 08:14 PM
Juan Carlos lost the tiebreak.

He also has a finger taped :confused:

Chloe le Bopper
08-08-2002, 08:28 PM
He often has his fingers taped ;)

He broke in the second at least :)

btw, he wears all white when he plays during the day cause its hot :p

TennisHack
08-08-2002, 08:37 PM
I know, I know, but you guys' paranoid theories have gotten to me!

Heehee, he's up 4-1 in the second. I'd say he's the one giving the spanking :D

Static
08-08-2002, 08:47 PM
Sushi is a nice dentist :)

Chloe le Bopper
08-08-2002, 09:17 PM
Sushi needs to touch up and go back to dental school :fiery:

TennisHack
08-08-2002, 09:40 PM
J.C. Ferrero d. T. Dent 6-7, 6-1, 7-6

He played brilliantly in that last tiebreak :D

Chloe le Bopper
08-08-2002, 10:15 PM
Yes, I thought it was over when he DF-ed, and that the Dent serve would finish it :( But Ferrero played awesome after that :o

tennischick
08-09-2002, 02:09 AM
OK, so the Cold Fish survived. oh well, i had no faith in Denthead anyway...:o :o

OK now it's up to the Android Slayer...go Wayne! (Lud! i can't even pretend to feel he has a chance...:o )

Chloe le Bopper
08-09-2002, 02:16 AM
TC... you kind of have to like Ferrero's half of the draw, huh? :p

tennischick
08-09-2002, 02:19 AM
yeah, it's a good half for Wayne Arthurs...(Lud!!!!!!!! :eek: )

Chloe le Bopper
08-09-2002, 02:25 AM
IN truth I thinik Moya might come out of that half anyways tc ;)

TennisHack
08-09-2002, 02:35 AM
Becca, Moya has an awful record against Schuettler (4-1!) so I wouldn't be too sure of that.

Juanqui defeated Arthurs here last year :D so let's hope he can do it again.

Chloe le Bopper
08-09-2002, 02:42 AM
Please tell me that it won't be Schueltler in the finals :fiery:

We need a name there! Ferrero or Moya, do something !!!!!

tennischick
08-09-2002, 02:43 AM
Schuettler is a dangerous floater that players sometimes make the mistake of overlooking.

i dunno if Wayne has any energy left -- i mean it did take some effort to despatch the Android. this half of the draw is a mess!

TennisHack
08-09-2002, 02:51 AM
Oh, brother, Rainer also has a slight edge on Juan Carlos (2-1, both of RS's wins on hard courts last year). Wayne Arthurs has never lost to Rainer. :rolleyes:

Come on, Juan Carlos!!

Chloe le Bopper
08-09-2002, 03:06 AM
Please tell me we don't have an Arthurs/Rainer semi :p

At least Ferrero or Moya in the finals would make it semi interesting, and we could at least pretend they had a shot against Agass/Hewitt

Nimi
08-09-2002, 11:14 AM
Go Wayne :D

Chloe le Bopper
08-10-2002, 01:04 AM
pft at the detractors ;)

Now on to Ferrero and Moya :D:D:D:D