Should Injury TO rules be changed? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Should Injury TO rules be changed?

Phunkadelicious
09-09-2005, 09:37 PM
PMac:I'm sick and tired of injury timeouts and they've got to stop!

This is a continuation of another thread started by Tennis Fool

savesthedizzle
09-09-2005, 09:41 PM
Was it necessary to continue this in another thread? I'm pretty sure the one was satisfactory. :shrug:

Phunkadelicious
09-09-2005, 09:42 PM
you're probably right but what the hell, no harm no foul

Lee
09-09-2005, 09:44 PM
you're probably right but what the hell, no harm no foul

You're working very hard in earning some vcash :lol: :angel:

Phunkadelicious
09-09-2005, 09:46 PM
well actually I don't know or care how the v-cash thing works.

Phunkadelicious
09-09-2005, 09:46 PM
If you want you can have all of mine :)

Lee
09-09-2005, 09:48 PM
btw, I think players can only have three 3 minutes treatments.

Lee
09-09-2005, 09:49 PM
well actually I don't know or care how the v-cash thing works.

I hope you know I'm not serious there. ;)

Phunkadelicious
09-09-2005, 09:53 PM
if my understanding is correct a player can have a 3 minute evaluation period and a 3 minute treatment period for every injury sustained on court. Theoretically then a player could have 6 minutes for each leg and 6 minutes for each arm. That would be a total of 24 minutes. Plus they could use the bathroom for a "reasonable amount of time" between each set. Plus treatment for "loss of conditioning" which is separate from the injuries. So it seems that the TO possibilities are nearly endless

BTW, how does it work, do I get money for every post or something, cuz if thats the case i should be v-rich

Lee
09-09-2005, 09:59 PM
if my understanding is correct a player can have a 3 minute evaluation period and a 3 minute treatment period for every injury sustained on court. Theoretically then a player could have 6 minutes for each leg and 6 minutes for each arm. That would be a total of 24 minutes. Plus they could use the bathroom for a "reasonable amount of time" between each set. Plus treatment for "loss of conditioning" which is separate from the injuries. So it seems that the TO possibilities are nearly endless

I think I was wrong on only 3 medical time out.

BTW, how does it work, do I get money for every post or something, cuz if thats the case i should be v-rich

You earn vcash from creating a thead, make a post and other posters post in your thread or even read your thread.

Fee
09-09-2005, 10:14 PM
6 Gm threads started in your first 24 hours as a member here. Impressive (to some).

Welcome to the board. Have you been to any of the other forums here?

Phunkadelicious
09-09-2005, 10:17 PM
No, its just that the last few days of tennis haven't been exactly exciting (including today) and I didn't make any other plans cuz I thought I would be enjoying some good tennis. Just trying to pass the time. :shrug:

Fee
09-09-2005, 10:29 PM
It has been kind of a letdown since the Agassi-Blake match I suppose. The Pierce-Dementieva match had interesting moments, but I'm kind of itching for the men's semis tomorrow.

Phunkadelicious
09-09-2005, 10:40 PM
this one just got interesting. I am for anybody but Yuri Sharapova :p (I know how much he hates that)

Lee
09-09-2005, 10:42 PM
Should be Yuri Sharapov :p

Phunkadelicious
09-09-2005, 10:43 PM
When people call him Yuri Sharapova he gets all angry (well angrier than he normally is)
So to me he will always be Yuri Sharapova

Lee
09-09-2005, 10:49 PM
When people call him Yuri Sharapova he gets all angry (well angrier than he normally is)
So to me he will always be Yuri Sharapova

Oops, sorry missed your point. I rather call him something else but it's not very nice, so.....

Scotso
09-10-2005, 12:34 AM
No.

All the commentators are saying that if players aren't fit enough to make it through the match, then they deserve to lose.

Well, if players aren't mentally tough enough to survive an opponent's injury time out then they deserve to lose.

Caren
09-10-2005, 01:15 AM
I don't think they should be allowed to have injury timeouts. I'm with the commentators. Any other sport and when there's an injury the player comes of. Take for example football/soccer. Should a player get injured after the manager has already used three subs then they have to play on with 10 men regardless. Rules aren't changed because of injury.
Players shouldn't have to go out and be mentally tough when another player asks for a medical time out. Players go out to play a game of tennis, and albeit that there is a mental element in tennis needed, its unfortunate that so many players seem to be able to find loopholes in the rules to put their opponent off. I feel for Dementieva tonight, because apart from the timeoutand all the rest of it, i find when i watch mary pierce that i want to jump through the screen and push her into moving a bit quicker, imo her slowness (albeit part of her game) is a greater threat than an injury timeout.

But the timeouts are bad for the game, too many players use them as an excuse these days.

Lee
09-10-2005, 01:23 AM
I don't think they should be allowed to have injury timeouts. I'm with the commentators. Any other sport and when there's an injury the player comes of. Take for example football/soccer. Should a player get injured after the manager has already used three subs then they have to play on with 10 men regardless. Rules aren't changed because of injury.
Players shouldn't have to go out and be mentally tough when another player asks for a medical time out. Players go out to play a game of tennis, and albeit that there is a mental element in tennis needed, its unfortunate that so many players seem to be able to find loopholes in the rules to put their opponent off. I feel for Dementieva tonight, because apart from the timeoutand all the rest of it, i find when i watch mary pierce that i want to jump through the screen and push her into moving a bit quicker, imo her slowness (albeit part of her game) is a greater threat than an injury timeout.

But the timeouts are bad for the game, too many players use them as an excuse these days.

You can't compare a team sport to an individual sport.

In addition, injuried players in soccer are allowed to be treated by trainer. Once they recovered, they are allowed to return to the game. So, what's the difference here?

marcelwks
09-10-2005, 01:35 AM
If someone get injury on court why not ?
But if player is injured before the game and is taking TO when loosing this isn't good. Mary Pierce today had problems from the first ball . Why she doesn't get treatment before match ? :mad:

Caren
09-10-2005, 01:40 AM
You can't compare a team sport to an individual sport.

In addition, injuried players in soccer are allowed to be treated by trainer. Once they recovered, they are allowed to return to the game. So, what's the difference here?

Yes they are allowed to be treated by a trainer, but its kept as minimal as possible. Tennis players today take the biscuit with their injury timeouts. If they are so injured that it takes more than 10 minutes to discover the problem and treat it then they should pull out of the game.

I was merely comparing injury strategies in different sports, yes soccer is a team sport but my point was that the rules aren't changed for them if one player gets injured. I just feel that these players are taking the fact they can get so many timeouts for granted. And its unfair, A) for their opponent, B) For the paying audience.

KoOlMaNsEaN
09-10-2005, 01:42 AM
To the umpires discretion is the best one of the four options