PMac:I'm sick and tired of injury timeouts and they've got to stop! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

PMac:I'm sick and tired of injury timeouts and they've got to stop!

Tennis Fool
09-09-2005, 07:57 PM
Boy was PMac pissed after that Demen/Pierce match :eek: He said that "this has got to stop" on both the men's and women's side. He said he doesn't blame the player (in this case Mary) but the officials.

Discuss.

jole
09-09-2005, 07:58 PM
He was possessed by Tracy Austin!

Oneofakind0490
09-09-2005, 07:59 PM
I don't know when he stopped palying but if he could have done it when he played he sure as hell would have done it. Thats the problem about these commentators.

Phunkadelicious
09-09-2005, 08:01 PM
There needs to be some kind of umpire discretion used for cramps. That would take care of one injury time out problem. The other one is that a player gets an injury TO for every body part that is injured. That is absolutely ridiculous. He's right, its not the players fault for taking advantage of the rules, since they are not breaking them, but it has gotten ridiculous. It used to be more of a WTA problem but it is certainly creeping into the Men's game. Something must be done.

I think it was Jmac that made that comment, he's the one doing the commentating today, no?

silverwhite
09-09-2005, 08:06 PM
Commentators need to stop being so self-righteous about injury time-outs. If they themselves were playing and got injured on court, I'm sure they wouldn't want to be treated. :rolleyes:

Lee
09-09-2005, 08:06 PM
After the match is over and back to the studio. PMac made that comment.

Lee
09-09-2005, 08:07 PM
Commentators are sick and tire of finding something intelligent to say during injury time out :angel:

Turkeyballs Paco
09-09-2005, 08:09 PM
Boy was PMac pissed after that Demen/Pierce match :eek: He said that "this has got to stop" on both the men's and women's side. He said he doesn't blame the player (in this case Mary) but the officials.

Discuss.

These commentators are pussies. If they don't have their panties in a wad about something, they don't know what to do with themselves. I don't know who said it, but if it was PMac, you know he would have used and abused the injury timeout as much as possible if it was around when he was still playing.

jole
09-09-2005, 08:12 PM
It was 100% Patrique.

Lee
09-09-2005, 08:14 PM
JMac had his share of whining during the 2nd and 3rd sets of the match.

oneandonlyhsn
09-09-2005, 08:15 PM
johnnymac said "I would hire the trainer for me..she has MAGIC

:rolls: Jmac :yeah:

Phunkadelicious
09-09-2005, 08:16 PM
After the match is over and back to the studio. PMac made that comment.

I stand corrected :D

However, everyone would agree that frequently injury time outs are used for gamesmanship, no?

I think injury time outs need to be around, spectators deserve to see matches finished. But the gamesmanship side of it needs to be taken out of the game.
Just look at the Monfils vs Djokovic match.
Djokovic even stated that the reason he took so many time outs was that he was tired. He said if he hadn't been allowed to take so many frequent time outs he would have lost. Being tired is not an injury.

Phunkadelicious
09-09-2005, 08:22 PM
besides, shouldn't a player be rewarded for their superior fitness?

Lee
09-09-2005, 08:23 PM
Djokovic even stated that the reason he took so many time outs was that he was tired. He said if he hadn't been allowed to take so many frequent time outs he would have lost. Being tired is not an injury.

No, that's not what Djokovic said. He has a history of breathing problem. With the injury timeout, he had the chance to continue to play, won the match and provided a very good 2nd round match for viewers.

I don't have problem with injury timeout between sets. If it's used as a tactic, than shame on the other player who lost his/her focus, concentration or whatever and played worse afterward. Players, who are smart enough, change tactics during match if they're down. Sometimes the tactics work, sometimes don't.

Lee
09-09-2005, 08:25 PM
besides, shouldn't a player be rewarded for their superior fitness?

There are other sports to watch if I prefer superior fitness ;)

Phunkadelicious
09-09-2005, 08:29 PM
"The timeouts helped me a lot," the right-hander from Serbia-Montenegro said. "He was physically better prepared than me."

Djokovic, also 18, has a history of breathing problems. But the rulebook stipulates that a player cannot take a medical break for "pre-existing conditions not aggravated during play" or "general player fatigue."

Phunkadelicious
09-09-2005, 08:30 PM
I am guilty however of putting words in his mouth

Lee
09-09-2005, 08:36 PM
The timeouts are supposed to help players. Otherwise, why put it in. The breathing problem was aggravated during play because of the heat and humidity that day.

And it the previous threads about Djokovic/Monfils match, I already said BOTH players were tired at the 5th set. And Monfils had the same amount of time of rest as Djokovic during the medical timeout :shrug:

buddyholly
09-09-2005, 08:38 PM
Then PMac was just echoing JMac who went on and on for the final two sets. He blamed Dementieva's collapse 100% on Mary's timeout, which I think is ridiculous.
If everything was within the rules, then players should be prepared for whatever may happen within the rules.

buddyholly
09-09-2005, 08:39 PM
BTW, JMac was the master at deliberately blowing up and delaying the game when he was behind. Something considerably less sporting than anything Mary did.

buddyholly
09-09-2005, 08:49 PM
And in her press conference Elena said that Mary acted within the rules but ''Was she injured? I don't think so."

Chloe le Bopper
09-09-2005, 08:50 PM
Boo hoo. Sniff sniff.

Lee
09-09-2005, 08:51 PM
But Elena also said that didn't affect her :angel: I don't know why the commentators feel the need to say otherwise since they are not Elena.

Chloe le Bopper
09-09-2005, 08:51 PM
There needs to be some kind of umpire discretion used for cramps. That would take care of one injury time out problem. The other one is that a player gets an injury TO for every body part that is injured. That is absolutely ridiculous. He's right, its not the players fault for taking advantage of the rules, since they are not breaking them, but it has gotten ridiculous. It used to be more of a WTA problem but it is certainly creeping into the Men's game. Something must be done.

I think it was Jmac that made that comment, he's the one doing the commentating today, no?

The umpire is supposed to make medical decisions now, regarding the severity of a players cramps or injuries? I'm not sure that makes any sense. Maybe we should use a clap-o-meter and let the audience decide?

jole
09-09-2005, 08:54 PM
Elena said basically, "If that's the only way she thinks she can beat me, then so be it."

Uh, it's called she out-hit you for two straight sets.

Turkeyballs Paco
09-09-2005, 08:56 PM
Elena said basically, "If that's the only way she thinks she can beat me, then so be it."

Uh, it's called she out-hit you for two straight sets.

:lol: It's too bad she lost. I wanted her to win, but she really needs to work on that serve.

federer express
09-09-2005, 08:57 PM
anyone sick and tired of someone living off his brother's name? :devil:

Phunkadelicious
09-09-2005, 08:59 PM
The umpire is supposed to make medical decisions now, regarding the severity of a players cramps or injuries? I'm not sure that makes any sense. Maybe we should use a clap-o-meter and let the audience decide?

I am not the first person to make this suggestion, nor will I be the last. The loss of condition rule was instituted relatively recently and really for the severe cramps one player suffered. I don't remember his name but he was a Japanese player who collapsed when all his muscles began to cramp and spasm and no one could help him because there was no rule. In this situation if the suggestion of umpire discretion had been around the umpire could have called the trainer.

The loss of condition rule is vague and used to frequently IMO. I can see that most people disagree with me, and if this is the sentiment of the governing body in tennis, then the rule won't be changed. No skin off my back.

Chloe le Bopper
09-09-2005, 09:04 PM
I am guilty however of putting words in his mouth
You and everybody else. Tracy, is that you?

Seriously, I've come to the conclusion that Djokovic held ANOTHER on court interview following the one that I have on tape, whereby he said all of these other things that differ from what he originally said. It's clearly the only explanation for why 203948309 people have different information than me.

Chloe le Bopper
09-09-2005, 09:05 PM
I am not the first person to make this suggestion, nor will I be the last. The loss of condition rule was instituted relatively recently and really for the severe cramps one player suffered. I don't remember his name but he was a Japanese player who collapsed when all his muscles began to cramp and spasm and no one could help him because there was no rule. In this situation if the suggestion of umpire discretion had been around the umpire could have called the trainer.

The loss of condition rule is vague and used to frequently IMO. I can see that most people disagree with me, and if this is the sentiment of the governing body in tennis, then the rule won't be changed. No skin off my back.
I actually thought that a clap-o-meter was a great idea :shrug:

jole
09-09-2005, 09:05 PM

PMac has a 3-0 lifetime record versus Karsten Braasch! DON'T FORGET IT MAN.

http://cgi.canoe.ca/Tennis97USOpenImages/aug25_3.jpg

savesthedizzle
09-09-2005, 09:07 PM
You and everybody else. Tracy, is that you?

:rolls:

R.Federer
09-09-2005, 10:11 PM
Injuries if they are injuries is one thing, but timeouts for poor conditioning is a bad sportsmanship loophole in the rules. Shame on Mary, I was rooting for her.

TenHound
09-09-2005, 10:33 PM
The issue wasn't medical timeouts, but limiting them to 3mins. I'd vote for 6 mins - 3min. diagnosis, 3 mins. treatment. But 12 min. is absurd. That throws the whole match off. She was tight...so tough shit baby, you lose...that was the issue here...too bad they can't change the rule tonight.

Hope Kim Breaks the Bitch's back tomorrow. Goooo Kim - hold that trophy up. She played beautifully in 3rd set today.

Tennis Fool
09-09-2005, 10:37 PM
The issue wasn't medical timeouts, but limiting them to 3mins. I'd vote for 6 mins - 3min. diagnosis, 3 mins. treatment.
She did. 6 minutes for each injury :lol:

MissMoJo
09-09-2005, 10:57 PM
Hope Kim Breaks the Bitch's back tomorrow. Goooo Kim - hold that trophy up. She played beautifully in 3rd set today.
Definitely, she was great. Hopefully she'll be prepared to deal with any distractions

croat123
09-09-2005, 11:00 PM
here's my proposal. a player can take as many 3 minute injury time outs as they want, but, in order to do so, they have to forfeit one game for each time out. therefore, mary would have been down 6-3 2-0 at the start of the second because she took two injury time outs.

PaulieM
09-09-2005, 11:04 PM
it's not pierce's job to inforce the time. what she did was technically within the rules, is it right or fair? that's debatable. until the rules are changed, she's entitled to use them to her advantage. hopefully they will be changed soon, i don't think it's fair that fatigue can be considered an injury. if you're not in shape to play the match then tough, retire from the match or whatever, head back to the gym, work on your fitness and come back when you're fit enough to compete.

Scotso
09-09-2005, 11:30 PM

We agree on something :eek:

PMac is the most annoying person on the face of the earth. He has an opinion on everything in tennis, as if he invented the game. No, he didn't, and he wasn't even that good at it. I don't know who the @#^& he is that he thinks his opinion is the end all and be all.

Lee
09-09-2005, 11:35 PM
it's not pierce's job to inforce the time. what she did was technically within the rules, is it right or fair? that's debatable. until the rules are changed, she's entitled to use them to her advantage. hopefully they will be changed soon, i don't think it's fair that fatigue can be considered an injury. if you're not in shape to play the match then tough, retire from the match or whatever, head back to the gym, work on your fitness and come back when you're fit enough to compete.

The rule already clearly said fatigue is not an injury.

And today, Pierce timeout was not fatigue. She had problems in both thigh and back, she asked trainer whether she could take medical time-out for both and the trainer said yes. :shrug:

amierin
09-09-2005, 11:53 PM
Until the rules change Puerta, Djokovic and Pierce were all justified in doing what they did. We can argue about the nature of the "injuries" until the cows come home but in the end it means nothing as long as the rules are as they are.

PaulieM
09-10-2005, 12:35 AM
The rule already clearly said fatigue is not an injury.

And today, Pierce timeout was not fatigue. She had problems in both thigh and back, she asked trainer whether she could take medical time-out for both and the trainer said yes. :shrug:
when i said fatigue, i meant that i don't think people should be getting rubdowns for cramping or using the time to sit down and catch their breath, and i wasn't talking about what mary did today in that regard. people were complaining about the time of her treatment, i just said that it's not up to her to inforce the time limit.

WF4EVER
09-10-2005, 02:18 AM
OMG! I'm agreeing with McEnroe. It certainly does appear to have reached the level of abuse right now. And the women reek of it.

In the OZ Final Serena did it and I do not believe, never did believe, that Serena had an 'injury'. I believe Serena was tight and nervous but she was not injured.

I can not recall this happening in the FO Final. Perhaps because Justine, being such a sly one herself, sent Pierce packing so fast she didn't have time to make up an injury. Like I said I don't recall but maybe I'm wrong.

In the Wimby Final Lindsay also had a timeout. While I do believe that she had a problem, I think it was as a result of her lack of fitness and agility rather than anything else and if you're playing that is just too bad. Pull out if you're injured.

Now we've gotten to the SF of the USO and I'm sending a stern warning to Kim Clijsters, she'd better do like Justine did at the FO and whip Pierce's ass faster than she can say "injury timeout" or she will be a bridesmaid again.

Sparko1030
09-10-2005, 04:23 AM

My thoughts exactly! Poor Pat Mac it must be difficult to have an older brother who is better at everything. :sobbing:

Hokit
09-10-2005, 05:18 AM

I am extremely disappointed that Elena lost. And I do believe Mary's "injury" timeout had some part to do with it.

But no one except Mary knows how serious her "injury" was. If she felt that the "injury" needed to be treated in case it accumulates to something even worse, then the timeout was well spent.

I do agree that she needs to work on her fitness because it seems that she's getting "injured" a lot. I don't think the "age" excuse is valid because Agassi is around 34 or 35 and he doesn't seem to need on-court treatment as much as Mary does.

Chloe le Bopper
09-10-2005, 07:02 AM
That Mary is injury is prone is hardly news, so I don't know what the fuck the quotation marks are all about.

Tennis Fool
09-11-2005, 01:11 AM
MaryP just took a 4 1/2 minute bathroom break after losing 1st set 6/3 to Clijsters :lol:

jole
09-11-2005, 02:17 AM
MaryP just took a 4 1/2 minute bathroom break after losing 1st set 6/3 to Clijsters :lol:

Seriously? Heh.

Maybe she wanted to prove that stuff like that can happen anytime and against anyone, since I'm sure she figured Kim and her would exchange very kind words with each other during the presentation.

R.Federer
09-11-2005, 02:19 AM
Lena D would have given more match than Marie Peace. This was a terrible final. Like in Paris. OH and of course that featured Ms Peace also

jole
09-11-2005, 02:20 AM
Lena D would have given more match than Marie Peace. This was a terrible final. Like in Paris. OH and of course that featured Ms Peace also

Maybe Mary should have stepped down after her win, and let Lena play?

Scotso
09-11-2005, 02:24 AM

If you were really watching you know that it wasn't that long. She literally ran there and back.

If people are going to make a big deal about it, next time she should just squat down and pee on the court. Like that, PMac? Probably the only chance he'd get to see a woman naked.

Scotso
09-11-2005, 02:25 AM

Yeah, because we all know how well Elena did in her finals.

R.Federer
09-11-2005, 02:27 AM
Yeah, because we all know how well Elena did in her finals.
Yeah against kuznetsova better than Marie did against kim here

On the other hand, kim has also lost the French Open with 6-0, so all of these three - kim, mary and elena have their share of great sets in the final