Roger at 70-3 in '05. Will he reach McEnroe's 82-3 ('84) ? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roger at 70-3 in '05. Will he reach McEnroe's 82-3 ('84) ?

TheMightyFed
09-09-2005, 03:42 PM
For those who find Fed boring, this is a record that nobody thought possible to equal. Federer needs only 12 wins to do it. Your guess ?
updated

R.Federer
09-09-2005, 03:44 PM
Sorry to put a negative spin on it, but just one loss and any chance is gone.

Very very difficult. He would need to go unbeaten through three more tournaments.
But if there is anyone who can do it, it it Roge.
Allez!

1sun
09-09-2005, 03:53 PM
no

jtipson
09-09-2005, 04:06 PM
He's currently 81-3 for the last 12 months, if you want to look at it that way. If he wins the US Open and his DC singles matches, he'd be 83-3.

I very much doubt he'll go unbeaten to the end of the season like he did last year - that was really only because he skipped Madrid and was injured for Basel/Bercy.

R.Federer
09-09-2005, 04:09 PM
He's currently 81-3 for the last 12 months, if you want to look at it that way.
Yes, I don't mind looking at it that way. What is so special about a calendar year anyway? These 81 matches did come one after another, regardless of the fact that they crossed Jan 1 at some point. All hail Roge!

TheMightyFed
09-09-2005, 04:11 PM
Yes, I don't mind looking at it that way. What is so special about a calendar year anyway?
Just because the non calendar records are not really remembered. The Mac run is quite famous ;) But the three losses in one year are insane, Gasquet must be happy to be one of those...

R.Federer
09-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Yes, like Serena Slam we can have Roge's Run.

The thing about streaks is that they are back to back to back to ... back. It is a shame that only calendar year streaks count. Winning the 4 slams back to back is well, just as difficult but harder for the record books to write down. Roger Federer wins the GS in 2006-2007, for example.

Allez Roge's Run!

TheMightyFed
09-09-2005, 04:19 PM
Yes, like Serena Slam we can have Roge's Run.
Don't bring Serena into the picture, I'm fed up of the Williams and their egocentric-narrow-minded personnalities. Far, far away from Roger...

Jimnik
09-09-2005, 04:43 PM
He's currently 81-3 for the last 12 months, if you want to look at it that way. If he wins the US Open and his DC singles matches, he'd be 83-3.

I very much doubt he'll go unbeaten to the end of the season like he did last year - that was really only because he skipped Madrid and was injured for Basel/Bercy.
Many players skip Madrid/Paris because of the end-of-season fatigue. Roger might skip them again but, even if he doesn't, who's going to beat him? Indoors, certainly not Nadal even with the Spanish croud. Roddick, Hewitt, Agassi - no way. Marat - maybe I suppose.

The most realistic chance for him to loose will be the Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai but he usually plays his best tennis for this event. I think it's unlikely that he'll loose.

TheMightyFed
09-09-2005, 04:54 PM
Many players skip Madrid/Paris because of the end-of-season fatigue. Roger might skip them again but, even if he doesn't, who's going to beat him? Indoors, certainly not Nadal even with the Spanish croud. Roddick, Hewitt, Agassi - no way. Marat - maybe I suppose.

The most realistic chance for him to loose will be the Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai but he usually plays his best tennis for this event. I think it's unlikely that he'll loose.
We have some believers in here, good ! Although I'd love Agassi to end Fed finals streak on his 20th USO, that would be great for the show !

Rex
09-09-2005, 04:57 PM
i put no opinion because i cant decide- i dunno perhaps he can do it, he is rogi, but he is not playing his absolute best these days.

Jimnik
09-09-2005, 04:58 PM
We have some believers in here, good ! Although I'd love Agassi to end Fed finals streak on his 20th USO, that would be great for the show !
Maybe it's destiny. He'll win and announce his retirement.
I think it would have to be a very windy day, like last year, for Andre to have a realistic chance.

mishar
09-09-2005, 05:16 PM
Well if -- big if -- he doesn't lose again the rest of the year and if - big if -- he plays all the tournaments, he would end the year at 110-3.
I'm too lazy to do the math, but how many wins would he need to match Mac's year percentage wise if he sustained one more loss?

I really suck at math. :-0

PamV
09-09-2005, 05:21 PM
It would be fantastic if he could reacht his record, but I don't think it's in the bag. It seems like he has a good chance, but it may depend on how many more tournaments he plays this year. Some people complain about Federer's winning, but years from now looking back at what ever records he's set will be something fun to talk about. If no players ever set records it would be dull.

PamV
09-09-2005, 05:23 PM

I want Federer to win if he makes it to the final. There are still many people saying he's nothing special because he's only won 5 majors. He has a long way to go before everyone excepts him as a true great player.

Aphex
09-09-2005, 06:06 PM
Yes, it's possible now, plus JMac was certainly on coke. :p
He probably only play two or three tournaments more this year, so it'll be close.

PaulieM
09-09-2005, 06:42 PM
it would be great, but i don't really think it'll happen

1sun
09-09-2005, 07:20 PM
well if he wins the us, its possible i suppose, because he'll have the year end no1 racked up, so he may just play basel and mc.

willie
09-09-2005, 07:37 PM
i think he will reach big mac's mark of 82/3:)

Scotso
09-10-2005, 12:38 AM
I think it's possible and maybe even probable. Federer is certainly a good player, and with the indoor tournaments coming up... never know.

KoOlMaNsEaN
09-10-2005, 01:49 AM
I hope so
so no opinion ;)

landoud
09-10-2005, 08:28 AM
everything is possible in tennis