Some nice tennis quotes [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Some nice tennis quotes

Yoel and co.
09-09-2005, 12:46 PM
I found these on http://www.tennis-x.com/quotes.php. Some I thought amusing, some nice and some (like Serena's) just left me speechless...

"It's been really disappointing. Billie Jean King came up to the booth the other day and I don't want to say she was embarrassed because -- I don't want to put words in her mouth -- but this is not what she envisioned I think. Obviously, she has no control of it and, in some cases, it could just be bad luck; it just doesn't seem like it picked up any steam. In the men's, it seems like a lot of close matches and good story lines. I do cover both men's and women's, although I do have a bias towards men's tennis because I played on the men's tour for 15 years, but really there's much more excitement. Hopefully the quarterfinals on that we'll see some great tennis."
-- John McEnroe on the uneven blowouts through the first four rounds on the women's side at the 2005 US Open.

"No, I wouldn't wear it. I wouldn't wear it. But it made it a lot easier for me to beat him today."
-- Lleyton Hewitt on Dominik Hrbaty's pink shirt with the holes on the back.

"I think I actually made a very kind gesture out of nowhere; I decided in the middle of that match that for every ace I hit I want to donate money. I just think people should honestly look at themselves before they judge another person. I've never been spoiled. I want a Range Rover very bad, but I refuse to spend the money to buy a Range...The diamonds are borrowed. I won't buy them because I'm too cheap."
-- Serena Williams defending herself after critics compared her $100/ace donation to the Gulf Coast hurricane victims to her $50,000+ jewelry worn during matches at the US Open. :eek:

"I don't know if you guys have seen my body, there's no anabolicness speed there. This is as natural as it gets. You know, this is ‑‑ you know ‑‑ this is part Jewish, part Christian, part upper‑class upbringing working as hard as you can genetics. There's no anabolicness going on here."
-- Justin Gimelstob on the cortisone shots he's taking having possible stroidal effects. :p

"She's as mean as a snake. She reminds me of me."
-- Martina Hingis on Maria Sharapova.

"Everybody knows the French have a problem with winning."
-- Yannick Noah, who has undertaken the task of coaching the oft-choking Amelie Mauresmo to a French Open title.

"Just look at Andy Roddick. He has the biggest serve on the men's tour and he's not the No. 1 because other parts of his game are not so good. I think it's more important to have the desire and the other parts of your game."
-- Elena Dementieva, defending her weak serve.