Lleyton's chances on Saturday? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Lleyton's chances on Saturday?

dmit424
09-09-2005, 01:55 AM
Hmm

zimzim
09-09-2005, 02:28 AM
He'll be blown off the court in straight sets.

R.Federer
09-09-2005, 02:30 AM
Leyton has lost 8 straight matches, I think 5 or 6 with bagels.
leyton is not playing well this year. Took 5 sets with Dent and Jarkoo.
Roge has increased his level tonight, and played only 1 match with more than 3 sets.
It is extremely unlikely (1 out of 100 or worse) for leyton to win their SF matchup.

El Legenda
09-09-2005, 02:32 AM
i got better chance of winning then Hewitt :lol:

because Roger does not know my crafty game :rolls:

nkhera1
09-09-2005, 02:32 AM
I'll be surprised if Fed loses a set.

El Legenda
09-09-2005, 02:35 AM
Hewitt wont win more the 12 games.

alelysafina
09-09-2005, 02:37 AM
Slim to none.

PaulieM
09-09-2005, 02:39 AM
Slim to none.
and brad says: "and slim just left"

seriously though, roger is going to have to play well and stay focused. hewitt always fights and would love nothing more than to beat him, so he has to be careful. that said, i like roger's chances.

nobama
09-09-2005, 02:42 AM
Total time on court so far:

Lleton total: 11 hours, 12 minutes (2 5-sets)
Andre total: 9 hours, 5 minutes (2 5-sets)
Robby total: 12 hours, 57 minutes (3 5-sets)
Roger total: 9 hours, 46 minutes (0 5-sets)

megadeth
09-09-2005, 02:46 AM
andre has lesser time than roger? :confused:

JeNn
09-09-2005, 02:50 AM
Unfortunately, the only way Lleyton will beat Roger is if they decide to have a dick measuring contest instead of a tennis match.

MissMoJo
andre has lesser time than roger? :confused:
that does seem strange given the 5 setter against malisse, and the blake match :confused:

Billy Moonshine
Hewitt HAS to win this one. Otherwise mens tennis is a joke.
The number three player in the world cannot keep getting bagelled by the number one! No matter how good FED is, there is no good reason why he shouldn't have challengers ranked close to him!
It's not good enough for the tennis fans! great for Roger's fans but for the rest of us, there isn't any point watching his matches unless he plays Safin or Nadal on clay. Ive seen enough fed matches and i know how good he is, now i want to see people who can compete with and beat him.
What are they ( the tour) going to do if everyone keeps getting thrashed!!!
Where and when is the challenge going to come from!?

jacobhiggins
09-09-2005, 02:52 AM
Until Federer surpasses Sampras or everybody agrees he's the best ever, I think Federer should continue to thrash the competition!!!!

R.Federer
09-09-2005, 02:53 AM
Hewitt HAS to win this win. Otherwise mens tennis is a joke.
The number three player in the world cannot keep getting bagelled by the number one! No matter how good FED is, there is no reason why he shouldn't have challengers ranked close to him!
It's not good enough for the tennis fans who like sport cos its competition!
What are they going to do if everyone keeps getting thrashed!!!
Marat and rafa will always be top threats to Roge
david is also possible, but he has to be more consistent.
roddick on grass, agassi also. but marat and rafa will be biggest rhreats

Federerhingis
09-09-2005, 02:55 AM
and brad says: "and slim just left"

seriously though, roger is going to have to play well and stay focused. hewitt always fights and would love nothing more than to beat him, so he has to be careful. that said, i like roger's chances.

I am with you Paulie! Hewitt should never be underestimated, I thought Jarko was actually going to straight set him and look what happened. Yes hes not playing no where near his best, but his grittiness never dies or fades.

TenHound
09-09-2005, 02:57 AM
Roger's greatest threat is his feet, until Berdych & Gasquet grow into their potential.

Federerhingis
09-09-2005, 03:05 AM
Hewitt HAS to win this one. Otherwise mens tennis is a joke.
The number three player in the world cannot keep getting bagelled by the number one! No matter how good FED is, there is no good reason why he shouldn't have challengers ranked close to him!
It's not good enough for the tennis fans! great for Roger's fans but for the rest of us, there isn't any point watching his matches unless he plays Safin or Nadal on clay. Ive seen enough fed matches and i know how good he is, now i want to see people who can compete with and beat him.
What are they ( the tour) going to do if everyone keeps getting thrashed!!!

I completely disagree, whats so bad about having the worlds best player dominate a sport he is best at? People never got tire of Graf's dominance, yes at times one wishes or favors the underdog. Yet, its always a pleasure to watch the best player display his arsenal for everyone to enjoy. I am sure he will have those off days, or some one will step it up once in a while and outplay him, but if he continues playing at this high level why shouldnt he be winning, he can only get better. His volley's as sound as they are can be greatly improved, his backhand could also be improved so as long as nobody takes away his dominance he should continue delighting us all.

dmit424
09-09-2005, 03:06 AM
I think Rafa will be his threat, not Safin. Safin played perfect tennis at the Aussie Open and the chance of Safin, who is mentally unstable, of doing that is about as good as Lleyton's chances are of playing the entire Fed match like he played the 5th set today, in which case he could challenge Fed... It's happened for Safin, but I don't think it will happen again. After he won the AO, everyone thought that finally, Roger will be challenged, but then Safin went back to drinking toilet water and also got injured... I don't know, I just don't see Safin beating Roger again, but who knows.

On clay, Roger isn't king, Rafa is. If you look at just clay, it's a different world. Rafa is what Roger is to the hardcourt/grass fans, which is an undeniable king. For Rafa to beat Fed in a hardcourt Slam will be as difficult as for Roger to beat him on clay, where Rafa will continue to improve... so I think we will see Rafa win about 2 hardcourt Slams within the next 5 years, and Roger probably 1 or 2 French.

R.Federer
09-09-2005, 03:06 AM
Roger's greatest threat is his feet, until Berdych & Gasquet grow into their potential.
nadal would be a big threat on clay and also on hard. marat, agassi on hard. also, roddick on grass. Roge has a good record, but he has openly said he has to bring best tennis to defeat andy on grass. he will not ever be able to take any of these players lightly, even when the record is good against them

dmit424
09-09-2005, 03:10 AM
nadal would be a big threat on clay and also on hard. marat, agassi on hard. also, roddick on grass. Roge has a good record, but he has openly said he has to bring best tennis to defeat andy on grass. he will not ever be able to take any of these players lightly, even when the record is good against them

Well, no he can't take them lightly. They are all talented enough to beat Roger on an off-day. But Roger never seems to be off on big matches... Also, why doesn't anyone mention Kiefer as a challenger? Kiefer is the ONE player not counting Safin's AO run and Nadal's clay dominance that CONSISTENTLY gets at least a set off of Fed.

I mean, I saw a poster say that Nalbandian is still a guy that can challenge Roger, as long as David is on... but how can you not mention Kiefer when Kiefer always gets a set and David just got destroyed.

Also, David seems to be similar to Hewitt, except he can take the offensive slightly better, but he has a slightly weaker serve and weaker retrieving abilities... so I don't like David's chances.

Carolinita
09-09-2005, 03:13 AM
Hw doesn't have any chances...I'd be even surprised if he doesnt lost 6-0 one of the THREE sets...

Fergie
09-09-2005, 03:26 AM
No chances ... Sorry Lleyton ;)

bad gambler
09-09-2005, 03:27 AM
he will take a set off fed this time around ;)

zimzim
09-09-2005, 03:30 AM
In the next year or so, Federer could loose some grandslam matches to Gasquet. That way, he won't win all the time.

R.Federer
09-09-2005, 03:31 AM
He must improve his level if he is to take any sets off of Roge. His level is less than last year, but so is Roge in my opinion. Still, Roge is more focussed on tennis an leyton has baby to think about and other distractions.

leyton lost sets to Jarkoo, which is not boding well for his quality this tournament

dmit424
09-09-2005, 03:39 AM
He must improve his level if he is to take any sets off of Roge. His level is less than last year, but so is Roge in my opinion. Still, Roge is more focussed on tennis an leyton has baby to think about and other distractions.

leyton lost sets to Jarkoo, which is not boding well for his quality this tournament

Yeah, he has to play the entire match like he played the 5th set today... That's about the only positive today, too.. that 5th set momentum, it's a good way to finish off. At one point, it really seemed true when McEnroe said "It seems like Lleyton is just emotionless, positive or negative... probably feeling like he's on deathrow waiting to play Federer" and it seemed like that was exactly it, but then Hewitt sprang to life and played one of the best sets anyone has played this tournament yet... But I just saw Roger today... and again, unless Hewitt can keep that level throughout the ENTIRE match, he won't even take a set.

+alonso
09-09-2005, 03:42 AM
fed will win in 3 :)

Ays25
09-09-2005, 03:44 AM
hewitt plays rubbish, he cant serve well
federer will walk away with this one although i would love to see him lose before andre beats him :devil:

Halba
09-09-2005, 04:18 AM
gasquet simply aint consistent enough

Looks like Fed truly owns this US Open just like he owned Wimbledon

i reckon scoreline 64 64 61 to Federer (or something like that)

Scotso
09-09-2005, 04:20 AM
This thread makes me realize how few people on this board actually know much about tennis. Federer isn't going to win every match in three golden sets.

Lleyton Hewitt is a former world #1, a former US Open champion, and the best fighter on the tour. Yes, it's unlikely to lose, but anyone claiming that he doesn't have a chance is just a senseless troll.

BAMJ6
09-09-2005, 04:22 AM
I'm guessing 7-6 (3) 6-3, 6-0 Fed

amierin
09-09-2005, 04:24 AM
I couldn't vote. The choices slim and none weren't there. I think Hewitt will put up a fight though.

dmit424
09-09-2005, 04:26 AM
I couldn't vote. The choices slim and none weren't there. I think Hewitt will put up a fight though.

Well, put 1:100... Realistically, it's not worse than that, that's for sure.

rofe
09-09-2005, 04:29 AM
Yes, Hewitt is Fed's bitch but Saturday is going to be a new day and anything can happen. I still put the odds at 50-50.

Rafa = Fed Killa
09-09-2005, 05:29 AM
Federer owns Hewitt, but I'll still give him a 1 in 5 shot. Upsets happen thats tennis. Hoping Hewitt brings loss #4 to Fed.

landoud
09-09-2005, 05:50 AM
:yawn: federer will win as usual

jacobhiggins
09-09-2005, 06:07 AM
I think Federer is going to win in straight sets, although Lleyton could put up a good fight. I just think from the way he was playing in his last match won't be good enough for Federer. Federer can amp it up match after match, Hewitt has a shot though, he's 3rd in the world, Federer is not unbeatable! When I say he has a good shot, I mean he's probablly not going to win the match, but if Federer plays bad then Hewitt can win!

alelysafina
09-09-2005, 06:14 AM
roddick on grass, agassi also...
Agassi? Since when? He's almost as bad as Hewitt.

Exodus
09-09-2005, 06:24 AM
He have zero chance to beat Fed whatsoever when he needs 5 sets to beat Jarko. He will be blown off court in 3 straight sets easily.

Sugar Kane
09-09-2005, 06:25 AM
Yes, Hewitt is Fed's bitch but Saturday is going to be a new day and anything can happen. I still put the odds at 50-50.
I think that says it all :lol: :rolls:

JeNn
09-09-2005, 07:05 AM
This thread makes me realize how few people on this board actually know much about tennis. Federer isn't going to win every match in three golden sets.

Lleyton Hewitt is a former world #1, a former US Open champion, and the best fighter on the tour. Yes, it's unlikely to lose, but anyone claiming that he doesn't have a chance is just a senseless troll.

I love Lleyton but he has only won 1 set out of the last 22 they have played. He has lost the last 15 sets they have played. The idea that he will win three tomorrow is remote to say the least. Of course he has a chance, anything could happen (like lightning Fed in the middle of the match), but I think we are entitled to be dismissive of his chances.

bad gambler
09-09-2005, 08:17 AM
I love Lleyton but he has only won 1 set out of the last 22 they have played. He has lost the last 15 sets they have played. The idea that he will win three tomorrow is remote to say the least. Of course he has a chance, anything could happen (like lightning Fed in the middle of the match), but I think we are entitled to be dismissive of his chances.

no you are not allowed to :(

JeNn
09-09-2005, 08:27 AM
no you are not allowed to :(

k. it's 50-50, could go either way :cool:

Xmanfan
09-09-2005, 08:51 AM
Well I stuck my neck (and my professional reputation) on the line whilst working at Wimbledon this year and stated infront of the whole press room that Lleyton would beat Rog (finally) - yeah right. He let me down - and I'm a big Federer fan. After last years US Open final and Wimbledon you gotta kind of think L's got the tools but he's also got a block as far as Rog is concerned. I'm sorry but I see straight sets again, although I think tighter than the whipping he got last year. I think Rog v AA in the final. And I think real tight - 5 sets - better than TMC Houston. And to be honest I don't want to predict a result. My head says Rog but you know I think maybe AA is gonna pull out all the stops to make it happen this year.

andre the great
09-09-2005, 09:14 AM
After seeing their quarter finals only a miracle comprable to the ressurection will allow Hewitt the slightest chance of even causing Fed to be mildly worried. As an Agassi fan I would infintely prefer to see Hewitt win . So I am off to my local church to light a couple of candles for him.

mickymouse
09-09-2005, 09:30 AM
Hewitt has to serve really, really well to have a chance. Nothing less. Just hold serve and hope to dismantle Federer in a tb.
Somehow, for some strange reason, I think Federer seems to have him figured out more than any other player. If Hewitt continues to serve crappily, and Federer is on form, he'll get a similar scoreline to last year.

Jimnik
09-09-2005, 09:38 AM
Once again, Fed will not drop a set in the semi-final or final. :yawn:
6-4 6-4 6-4 against Hewitt and something similar against Ginepri.

Turkeyballs Paco
09-09-2005, 03:15 PM
I don't know about Hewitt's chances here. All I can hope for is he puts up a really good fight and makes it an interesting match to see. Good luck Hewitt!

R.Federer
09-09-2005, 03:53 PM
Agassi? Since when? He's almost as bad as Hewitt.
But they make Roge play. Roge does not under estimate agassi, agassi lost in 5 difficult sets last year. Roge has won 5 straight against andy and 8 straight against hewitt and 7 straight against andre, then he should not take them seriously. But he knows that if he is off his best game then they will win. Sometimes even his best (against marat) is not enough to win. Roge is not some miracleman, just very great tennis player.
Roge must take agassi as seriously as hewitt

Rex
09-09-2005, 04:00 PM
rogi will give him hell, i dont see him slipping a set, but he could just coz he is not playing his best like he was last year this time.

1sun
09-09-2005, 04:08 PM
1/5
of course hewit has a chance, granted he is much more likely to lose but that doesnt change the fact that he has a chance.

Carolinita
09-09-2005, 04:10 PM
Hw is a great tennis player, of course, he's an ex number one, he's 24 titles, etc..nobody can deny it but, unfortunately, because of the Federer's present level, hw's game isnt enough for defeating Federer I think

purple_star
09-09-2005, 05:22 PM
i would be very surprised if lleyton would win. but it would be interesting though...at least for a change. :yawn:

alfonsojose
09-09-2005, 06:33 PM
that does seem strange given the 5 setter against malisse, and the blake match :confused:
not sure about Xavier's match, but Blake / Agassi was fast, 2 and a half hours or something like that

User id 7816
09-09-2005, 06:46 PM
:bigwave: to anyone who still hasnt realised Hewitt is Fed's favourite toy :p

I dont know whats that in numbers sorry ;)

Mechlan
09-09-2005, 07:09 PM
The problem for Lleyton is that he consistently plays Federer near the end of a tournament, where Federer is simply too focused and too good to give anything away. Really, Lleyton's only chance playing the game he does is to be very consistent, make no mistakes, and seize every opportunity - which means playing the big points extremely well. Even so, Roger needs to be having an off day for him to succeed. Roger is consistent enough to hang with Lleyton in the rallies, but has the firepower to cut a rally short and blast the winner, a luxury that Lleyton doesn't really have. Since Federer serves so well, a lot of pressure will be placed on Hewitt's serve. If he can consistently hold serve, there might be a set or two that will be close - who knows, Lleyton may even sneak one - but in the long haul, I really don't see things turning out differently than their previous meetings.

That said, I'd like Hewitt to try something new. Yes, it means risking running "into the knife more brutally" (in fact, good chance of it) but hell, if Hewitt realizes that Federer isn't off his game, why not change things up? He really doesn't have much to lose. Overpowering Federer might be asking a bit much, but I say crack the ball a little earlier, come in to net, serve and volley some more, drop shot, moonball, whatever it takes to throw Federer off a little. I'd love to see him try.

R.Federer
09-09-2005, 07:12 PM
I expect leyton will do something differently tomorrow, but I wonder if that will be enough. Before Wimbledon he has said he has found a secret weakness of Roge's and he would expose that in their semifinal match. Most commentators were not able to find a weakness, but leyton said he knew something. During that match, it looked like his idea was to volley a little more, but I am not sure how that is Roge's weakness, because Roge is a good passer. Like previous poster said, leyton must do something to throw off Roge's rhythm.
It seems there is only one area where leyton has an edge over Roge, and even that edge has eroded to a very small difference by now: unwillingness to give up.

fenomeno2111
09-09-2005, 07:38 PM

Agree with you...He's gonna fight hard and I actually want him to win because I really like his lion heart...i resemble on him and Nadal when i play! LOL but yeah...Federer has a better shot than Lleyton

garylanders
09-09-2005, 09:51 PM
Lol 57% of the votes are for "1 in 100", if you really think so then bet your house on it, the correct odds would be 1.01 and you´ll get 1.10 from some bookies.

R.Federer
09-09-2005, 09:56 PM
Lol 57% of the votes are for "1 in 100", if you really think so then bet your house on it, the correct odds would be 1.01 and you´ll get 1.10 from some bookies.

Well maybe you didn't notice that there was no choice between 1/10 and 1/100, and there are people who believe his odds lie in between

garylanders
09-09-2005, 10:17 PM
I noticed that but its still fun to see that most ppl think that Leytons chanses are closer to 1 in 100 than 1 in 10.

R.Federer
09-10-2005, 01:44 AM
Here is one writeup:

1-ROGER FEDERER (SUI) vs. 3-LLEYTON HEWITT (AUS)

Federer is going to have to have a very down day to lose this contest because Hewitt hasn't shown in his last eight losses to him that he has enough tricks in his bag to stay with the great Swiss. Oh, sure, '01 US champ Hewitt is still one of the game's most mentally tough players, but he has almost zero confidence against Roger because he has no idea how to beat him anymore.

In the first stage of their rivalry, from 1999-2003, when Hewitt was still drilling Fed, he could attack him with his backhand cross-court, coax errors out of his forehand, and make him press on his serve with his bullet returns. But Roger is so much more solid now off every wing and from every position on the court that Hewitt does not know where he can go. Plus, he now believes he's a more mentally tough player than Lleyton is, a state of mind he admitted that he once didn't have.

Essentially, Hewitt cannot change his game plan against defending champ Federer because he doesn't have anything else to go to. He doesn't have enough pop on his forehand to blow him off the court, is not a competent enough net player to own the cords, and cannot dominate with his serve. He is a counterpuncher with a tremendous return and great backhand, but that's not good enough against a guy who knows how to open the court as well as Roger does. It would be nice for fans if this was a highly competitive match, but it won't be. Much like last year's final, Fed's game will dip for a set, but he'll still get through in three.