USA reasons for pulling plug on Ginepri/Gasquet: No Stars [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

USA reasons for pulling plug on Ginepri/Gasquet: No Stars

Tennis Fool
09-09-2005, 01:47 AM
For those of you who were left confused. Sorry if this was already posted.

USA Network Pulled the Plug

By THE NEW YORK TIMES
Published: September 7, 2005
The USA Network left some tennis fans confused Monday night when it left the Robby Ginepri-Richard Gasquet United States Open match in the third set to join its regularly scheduled showing of "Law & Order: SVU" at 11 p.m.

But Monday night, Gordon Beck, USA's executive producer for sports, said he determined that the slow pace of the three-hour Ginepri-Gasquet match made it unlikely that it would end at a reasonable time. When USA broke away, each player had won a set, with the third set just starting. "My judgment was that it would take a long time to complete the next two sets, let alone a fifth set," Beck said.

He said USA received about 30 calls to protest his decision.

The last part of Ginepri's five-set victory was seen on CBS's late-night tennis show, which begins at 12:37 a.m.

Beck said if one of the players had been Andre Agassi or Roger Federer, USA would have stayed past 11 "because you know it would have been a broader audience."

Phunkadelicious
09-09-2005, 01:49 AM
thats lame. Gasquet's backhand should be reason enough for them to continue broadcasting. How often do you see something so heavenly on tv?

fenomeno2111
09-09-2005, 02:15 AM
It's all about the money... Stupid guys, they play with my feelings...i was taking a close look to Gasquet BH to see if i could imitate it

HappyAndie
09-09-2005, 02:17 AM
Oh well....money talks. That's life.

We should be thankful that we ot to see it at all, right?

howardean
09-09-2005, 02:44 AM
yes, and think how happy ALL of those fans who regularly watch L&O at 11 pm on monday were!!! go USA!!! :rolleyes:

mangoes
09-09-2005, 02:53 AM
sadly, it's true

Éowyn
09-09-2005, 04:20 AM
to me thats fucked up if you're going to cover an event you do it properly or you don't fucking bother! :rolleyes:

richie21
09-09-2005, 09:17 PM
thats lame. Gasquet's backhand should be reason enough for them to continue broadcasting. How often do you see something so heavenly on tv?

well he is french so that alone should explain many things :lol: :lol:

Vialator
09-09-2005, 10:11 PM
I don't think the Richard's nationality is a determinant factor for explain this interruption.
But if you expect to discuss of the rivality between France and USA, I advise you to go on very stupid site like fuckfrance.com (http://fuckfrance.com/) , you will find a impressive collection of dunce...

LaTenista
09-09-2005, 10:55 PM
to me thats fucked up if you're going to cover an event you do it properly or you don't fucking bother! :rolleyes:

In that case, us Yanks would only get the European Master Series events on The Tennis Channel. Everything else aired is varying degrees of WTF? :o :mad: :eek:

Did I mention Fox SportsNet Ohio left the Newport Spadea-Rusedski final at 5 all in the 3rd to cut over to a baseball game in Arizona that hadn't even started yet? 20 minutes of pregame crap when they could stayed for the last 6 or so minutes of that tennis match!

USA Network doesn't give a damn about tennis, they only air the USO because "US" is part of the tournament name. :rolleyes:

I bet that guy doesn't even know who Richard Gasquet is or that he beat Federer this year.

PamV
09-09-2005, 11:06 PM
Very stupid on their part. Who cares about "Law and Order"? Hey....but I can top this. In my area every year the local NBC does NOT show the French Open men's final and instead choses to air 15 hours of a children's telethon fundraiser all day on that Sunday. I always ask them why they couldn't have the telethon on a DIFFERENT day?

tennisgirl19
09-09-2005, 11:47 PM
Stupid USA :mad: Monday night I was so upset over this. It was a disgrace. I mean they are constantly talking about Richard and Robby in their earlier matches and how this could be a great match. They kept pushing it all day and then when 11:00 comes they turn it off. How stupid could one network be?
I feel bad for Robby because he's considered an "opening act" to Andre and James and he's taking a backseat to everthing. Plus I'm a huge fan of Richard so not being able to see his entire match on TV really pissed me off (especially since this was the marque match)
USA NETWORK :mad:

Tennis Fool
09-10-2005, 12:00 AM
I bet that guy doesn't even know who Richard Gasquet is or that he beat Federer this year.
He probably doesn't even know who Federer is :)

Scotso
09-10-2005, 12:08 AM
It's the only match they didn't extend coverage.

Is the audience for L&O reruns really THAT big? :rolleyes: