If it weren't about Federer Agassi would win another Slam at the age of 35 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

If it weren't about Federer Agassi would win another Slam at the age of 35

Bilbo
09-09-2005, 01:02 AM
Too bad about that. In my opinion Agassi deserves this title most, that is for sure.

Anyway, I think Agassi has a great chance to beat Federer as he's not playing that good and one time Federer has to lose a final.

vincayou
09-09-2005, 01:18 AM
Too true.
About deserving, I think that Roger would deserve 2 slams after the splendid year he did.

AgassiFan
09-09-2005, 01:20 AM
If it weren't for Federer, Andre almost certainly would have walked away with the 2004 USO, and maybe with some more luck, 2004 AO as well (too bad he wasted so many chances, including 2 set points, in those first 2 tie-breakers against Marat in the Semis, before storming back down 0-2 in sets to dominate Marat in the 3rd and 4th before running out of gas in the 5th...).

Agassi has to be super-pissed off that Federer wasn't born, say, 5 years later. ;)

oneandonlyhsn
09-09-2005, 01:30 AM
They both have to make it to the finals first

Pea
09-09-2005, 02:18 AM
Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

pinky
09-09-2005, 02:59 AM
Agassi has to be super-pissed off that Federer wasn't born, say, 5 years later. ;)

Well, Agassi had great results during his career, so it is not that bad :)

On the other hand, there are a few other guys, esp. Roddick and Hewitt, that have to be pissed to have Roger around ;)

R.Federer
09-09-2005, 03:02 AM
James has almost taken out agassi, and Ginepri will not be easy at all. let us see if agassi first will get to the final

No one "deserves" to win, except the person who is good enough to score the last point of the final. Sentimentally, there are reasons to want different people. I said I would like James to win, it would be a beautiful end to a traumatic year. Others think Roge deserves to win. Others want Andy, and think he has worked hard and deserves to win one more slam.

AgassiFan
09-09-2005, 03:03 AM
Well, Agassi had great results during his career, so it is not that bad :)

On the other hand, there are a few other guys, esp. Roddick and Hewitt, that have to be pissed to have Roger around ;)

34 and a screwed-up back and all... Federer definately spoiled Andre's 2004 and 2005 - both in slams and in non-slams, both by actually beating him head-to-head and by always lurking in the back of Agassi's mind... :D

R.Federer
09-09-2005, 03:05 AM
34 and a screwed-up back and all... Federer definately spoiled Andre's 2004 and 2005 - both in slams and in non-slams, both by actually beating him head-to-head and by always lurking in the back of Agassi's mind... :D

I think the better thread title here is that if it were not for Pete, then agassi would be the most successful slam player in history. Roge has stopped agassi only one time : last year (where I think agassi would win final if he got there) but in Australia this year, marat would beat agassi in SF.

AgassiFan
09-09-2005, 03:07 AM
James has almost taken out agassi, and Ginepri will not be easy at all. let us see if agassi first will get to the final

No one "deserves" to win, except the person who is good enough to score the last point of the final. Sentimentally, there are reasons to want different people. I said I would like James to win, it would be a beautiful end to a traumatic year. Others think Roge deserves to win. Others want Andy, and think he has worked hard and deserves to win one more slam.

Agassi's grand slam defeats have this in common: very flat in the 1st set, even when he won it against Coria at 2003 FO.

So if Andre has some more "rhythm problems" early and gives Ginepri a 1-0 set headstart... There is a good chance he will LOSE. I don't care who you are, you CAN'T always fight your way from behind, not at his age and back condition coming off back-to-back 5-setters especially.

mickymouse
09-09-2005, 03:08 AM
This is USO. Never underestimate the support of the home crowd and what it can do to the players' minds. If Federer meets Agassi, I expect Agassi to have the upper hand.

AgassiFan
09-09-2005, 03:11 AM
but in Australia this year, marat would beat agassi in SF.

Agassi outplayed Marat for 4 sets before losing steam in the 5th. If Andre converts one of his many opps in either 1st or 2nd set, the match is over in 4. Had he won the 1st, it might have been over in 3.

Then he would have had another cake-walk Aussie Final if Roger wasn't there.

R.Federer
09-09-2005, 03:11 AM
This is USO. Never underestimate the support of the home crowd and what it can do to the players' minds. If Federer meets Agassi, I expect Agassi to have the upper hand.
They met last year and the crowd was mainly on agassi's side (not all) and the result was not helped.

Believe me, I have been part of the USO crowd. I thought Roge would recognize us because we go in Swiss tee shirts, and our surprise: the place if full of others in Swiss flag tee shirts! There are too many foreigners (not all Swiss, but India, Asia, Spanish and others) in NY who are not fond of American players and give all their weight to Roge. This is what makes US open very different from Wimbledon

yanchr
09-09-2005, 03:17 AM
Agassi deserves the title most? Sorry, James should've beaten him already.

But yes it would be a perfect ending if Agassi could take this USO and then retire. And no, I don't see the slightest chance of him to beat Federer in the final, given that there is no off day in between final and semi...

And there is no point of saying if it weren't for Federer Agassi would blah blah blah, because then we can also say about Nadal being the youngest No1 in the world, Safin Hewitt and Roddick all holding 3 slams in hand...

lunahielo
09-09-2005, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by mickymouse
If Federer meets Agassi, I expect Agassi to have the upper hand.
The crowd won't matter at all.
Remember last year's US Open Wednesday night match?

AgassiFan
09-09-2005, 03:48 AM
.And there is no point of saying if it weren't for Federer Agassi would blah blah blah, because then we can also say about Nadal being the youngest No1 in the world, Safin Hewitt and Roddick all holding 3 slams in hand...

Just stating facts. Agassi would have taken 2004 USO rather easily, and maybe even the 2004 AO had he shown a little more killer instinct in either 1st or 2nd set. That's at least 1 and possibly 2 slams in ONE year - complete with the confidence boost they would have provided going into 2005 and beyond.

I do agree Marat would have probably beaten Agassi at 2005 AO, but 2005 USO could have, once again, been on Andre's resume.

So that's as many as 3 slams Federer "cost" Agassi in 2004-2005.

And, yes, Roddick would have had 2 Wimbledons by now. So what of it?

R.Federer
09-09-2005, 03:51 AM
Agassi outplayed Marat for 4 sets before losing steam in the 5th. If Andre converts one of his many opps in either 1st or 2nd set, the match is over in 4. Had he won the 1st, it might have been over in 3.

Then he would have had another cake-walk Aussie Final if Roger wasn't there.

No, my post said ".. in Australia this year".
Even if he could beat Roge in QF, he would not beat marat in the SF. Marat's level was the highest of any player (correctly so he wins the tournament)

JeNn
09-09-2005, 03:54 AM
Just stating facts. Agassi would have taken 2004 USO rather easily?

You act like Hewitt is a walkover :rolleyes:

JeNn
09-09-2005, 04:01 AM
Jand maybe even the 2004 AO had he shown a little more killer instinct in either 1st or 2nd set. That's at least 1 and possibly 2 slams in ONE year - complete with the confidence boost they would have provided going into 2005 and beyond.

So that's as many as 3 slams Federer "cost" Agassi in 2004-2005.

This is completely delussional stuff about him winning AO04 without Federer. For a start he lost to Safin - nothing to do with Federer. So how the hell does FEDERER cost him that slam when he lost to SAFIN :retard:. Secondly, even if he beat Safin and Federer didnt exist, how do you know that JCF would not have have kicked his arse off the court just like he did at US03 or Nalbandian wouldnt have beaten him since he was playing peak tennis at that stage and thrashed Andre in the Kooyong final?

Agassi's record is good enough that you shouldnt have to make up this crap.

megadeth
09-09-2005, 04:06 AM
i always liked andre, but now, i'm for seeing fed break records and hopefully get 15 slams. so go fed!

MissMoJo
09-09-2005, 04:08 AM
Too bad about that. In my opinion Agassi deserves this title most, that is for sure.
yes, because after all agassi's trophy case is threadbare. Whoever wins 3 sets on sunday 'deserves' the title most.

silverwhite
09-09-2005, 04:09 AM
Since when has it not been about Federer? :lol: Roger DOMINATES the tour. :worship:

Seriously though, it would be nice to see Agassi win another slam at this age, but if he meets Federer in the final, chances are slim.

JeNn
09-09-2005, 04:10 AM
yes, because after all agassi's trophy case is threadbare. Whoever wins 3 sets on sunday 'deserves' the title most.

bingo.

PaulieM
09-09-2005, 04:12 AM
yup.
it's pointless speculating over all these what ifs, some people claim that if roger didn't exist roddick would have been # 1 for years on end, and won all the slams since uso 2003, or any number of what ifs you can come up with for all the players out there right now. roger is not the only player that andre or anybody else has to deal with.

JeNn
09-09-2005, 04:16 AM
yup.
it's pointless speculating over all these what ifs, some people claim that if roger didn't exist roddick would have been # 1 for years on end, and won all the slams since uso 2003, or any number of what ifs you can come up with for all the players out there right now. roger is not the only player that andre or anybody else has to deal with.

Well I think it's fair to say general stuff like without Federer Hewitt, Safin, Agassi and Roddick would probably have shared the non clay GS tourneys since AO'04.

But specific stuff about one player... no.

PaulieM
09-09-2005, 04:18 AM
Well I think it's fair to say general stuff like without Federer Hewitt, Safin, Agassi and Roddick would probably have shared the non clay GS tourneys since AO'04.

But specific stuff about one player... no.
agreed.

NYCtennisfan
09-09-2005, 05:01 AM
So you say that AGassi would win if it wasn't for Federer and then you go on to say taht Agassi has a good chance because Fed is not playing that well?

BAMJ6
09-09-2005, 05:01 AM
For what it's worth, Andre Agassi is 2-3 in his 5 US Open finals. The 3 losses were to Pete Sampras. And Fed is an extremely close in caliber, but his name isn't Pete Sampras. He's 2-0 in his USO finals where it wasn't him on the other side of the net.

I want him to go out on top, so i will root for him this weekend. He's had his best moments in his personal life that coincided with his best tennis of his career after 29

1999 French Open for meeting Steffi
1999 US Open for dating/falling for Steffi
2000 Aussie with a secret proposal to Graf
2001 Aussie and Jaden's conceptcion

Grand Slams as a father
2003 Aussie and Jaz conceptcion (Jaden sees it)
2005 could he immortalize himself (A father of 2 winning a grand slam is unheard of)

amierin
09-09-2005, 05:07 AM
I've been saying Fed is not playing well but tonight he delivered a beat down to Nalbandian and sent a message to anyone looking to challenge him or thinks he has a chance. The line forms to the right and Roger is taking names.

NYCtennisfan
09-09-2005, 05:07 AM
For what it's worth, Andre Agassi is 2-3 in his 5 US Open finals. The 3 losses were to Pete Sampras. And Fed is an extremely close in caliber, but his name isn't Pete Sampras.

His name isn't Pete Sampras but he has beaten him 7 straight times and has won the last 8 sets played.

Even if Agassi loses to Ginepri on Saturday, it has been a tremendous tournament for him and he is clearly one of the 6 best players in the world at the age of 35 which is incredible.

LLeytonRules
09-09-2005, 05:08 AM
U making it sound like Agassi is unbeatable, Blake should have beaten Agassi, another player like Hewitt or Federer would have finished Agassi.

I like Agassi, he is a tennis icon but he is not unbeatable even if its not Fed, anything can happen in tennis.

Scotso
09-09-2005, 05:11 AM
Coulda shoulda woulda.

AgassiFan
09-09-2005, 05:29 AM
how do you know that JCF would not have have kicked his arse off the court just like he did at US03 .

You must not be aware of the fact that

a) Agassi is better on RebounceAce than decoturf
b) Agassi was in much better shape during 2004 AO than Ferrero

There's nothing "delusional" about what I've said. I am usually one of Agassi's biggest critics, but even I realize how much easier Agassi's life would have been without Federer in terms of overall confidence in his own abilities as well as actual slam results. 2004 USO for sure. 2004 AO is iffy since Andre choked on big points against Safin and that cost him big. 2005 USO is iffy too since it's not over yet. I obviously agree that Safin would have beaten him at 2005 AO...

Anyway. You still like "big" men? :D

Rafa = Fed Killa
09-09-2005, 06:35 AM
Andre needs to play the match of his life and the crowd has to be deafining.
Then we will see the end of Fed's 22 finals in a row streak.

JeNn
09-09-2005, 07:57 AM
You must not be aware of the fact that

a) Agassi is better on RebounceAce than decoturf
b) Agassi was in much better shape during 2004 AO than Ferrero

And Nalbandian? And Hewitt? Woulda. Coulda. Shoulda. Besides he lost to Safin anyway, so the point is moot. There is no 'iffy' about it. Federer did not stop him from winning AO04, Safin did. :retard: Unless you are trying to argue that he lost Safin because he was scared of Federer which is even more :retard:.

I am usually one of Agassi's biggest critics

Excuse me if this statement isn't dripping with credibility, coming from someone with the name 'AgassiFan' :retard:

2004 USO for sure.

It would have been close with Hewitt, though even Henman would have been some challenge in the semis considering their past matches and Henman was in very good form. Not even close to 'for sure'.

Anyway. You still like "big" men?

Guess that counts you out ;)

jenanun
09-09-2005, 08:00 AM
i just couldnt watch it... federer vs agassi

while watching agassi vs blake, my blood pressure already gone up by 100%....
i really want to see agassi to win... so i just hope he doesnt have to face roger in the final...

andre the great
09-09-2005, 10:25 AM
I think Andre could have a chance. But has to win first set. If he loses the first set then Fed would be champion. Losing the first set cost him dear against Fed last year. However he has played Fed close at times during this losing streak. The RR in the TMS in 03 he had a match point and also semis in Indian Wells 04 was a close match as well.

nobama
09-09-2005, 12:05 PM
I think Andre could have a chance. But has to win first set. If he loses the first set then Fed would be champion. Losing the first set cost him dear against Fed last year. However he has played Fed close at times during this losing streak. The RR in the TMS in 03 he had a match point and also semis in Indian Wells 04 was a close match as well.But the three times they played this year Roger won pretty easily. Even Key Biscayne where Andre was certainly the crowd favorite.

BlackSilver
09-09-2005, 12:45 PM
I think Andre could have a chance. But has to win first set. If he loses the first set then Fed would be champion. Losing the first set cost him dear against Fed last year. However he has played Fed close at times during this losing streak. The RR in the TMS in 03 he had a match point and also semis in Indian Wells 04 was a close match as well.

I agree. Good pointed

andre the great
09-09-2005, 02:17 PM
As I said if Dre can win the first set then we'll have a match otherwise his confidence will evaporate like it did in Australia. That match in Aus Open was akin to tennis suicide giving away service games at the start of the 2nd and 3rd sets.But have hope the 2nd set he played against Fed in US Open last year the (6-2) one shows he won't just keel over and die when he sees Rogi on the other side of the net.

AgassiFan
09-09-2005, 04:55 PM
And Nalbandian? And Hewitt?

Doubt it. And doubt it. Neither played as well as AA at 2004 AO. Remember, that was before the sciatic nerve adventures when Andre could actually chase the ball down on the backhand side, for a change. I am not guaranteeing he would have won had he gotten that one early-set bounce he needed against Marat, but IMO he would have been the favorite if Federer-free...

Excuse me if this statement isn't dripping with credibility, coming from someone with the name 'AgassiFan'

Search some of my recent posts, lady. You're in for a shock. Not everyone's as shallow and biased as you, fangirl.

It would have been close with Hewitt, though even Henman would have been some challenge in the semis considering their past matches and Henman was in very good form. Not even close to 'for sure'.

Hilarious. Did you even watch the tournament? Agassi generally outplayed Federer Himself in the first 4 sets and was a 3rd set point away from winning in 4. Hewitt and Henman would have stood little chance that year, not with those crowds going insane especially.

Guess that counts you out ;)

Maybe. Maybe not. ;) back'atcha

(btw...still LMAO over your pathetic "size don't matter, silly... What me? Oh I love them huge!" turnaround; at least sigmagirl was honest up front ....:D)

Sugar Kane
09-09-2005, 05:01 PM
Agassi pleeeeez win this one :awww:

R.Federer
09-09-2005, 05:03 PM
As I said if Dre can win the first set then we'll have a match otherwise his confidence will evaporate like it did in Australia. That match in Aus Open was akin to tennis suicide giving away service games at the start of the 2nd and 3rd sets.But have hope the 2nd set he played against Fed in US Open last year the (6-2) one shows he won't just keel over and die when he sees Rogi on the other side of the net.

But dont you think that andre's level this Open has not been consistently good? Even after being 2 sets up against Xman, he lost next two sets. He has lost 2 sets against blake, looking flatfooted and unconfident of his shot selection. blake was too fearful of winning in the end it seems, but Federer would not be and also Roge is generally thought of as having more game than Blake. Roge's level is also not like last year, but he has shown yesterday that he is back up.

Roge is not suddenly winning against andre, he has won the last 7 or 8 matches continuously, the last three being straight sets. From there, it is difficult to see how suddenly andre will win against him. Roge has also played no five set matches, should be fresher also. Plus he is younger to start with.

AgassiFan
09-09-2005, 05:17 PM
I think Andre could have a chance. But has to win first set. .

While Agassi played Federer much better than we had any right to expect in their first 7 meetings or so (aside from YEC Final, obviously), in 2005 it's clear Federer is two levels above the Old Bald Cripple. I expect a thrashing should Andre get by Ginepri.

BUT... You do make a great point. Look at Agassi's 2003-2004 Slam losses. Flat in the 1st set (mucho forced and unforced errors that the great champion-slash-Zen Master can't afford to commit), then has to face an uphill battle trying to come back from 1 or 2 sets down. Hell even when he won the 1st set against Coria at RG, he did it unconvincingly; who knows, if he comes out firing and wins 6-2, the exhaused Coria might have become discouraged against his idol in the subsequent sets...

In short, Andre needs to play BRILLIANT tennis in the 1st set against Federer, and hope Roger is complacent and out of rhythm. 1-0 headstart would actually give Agassi a fighting chance at winning the match... But if he loses the 1st, it's OVER.

RogiFan88
09-09-2005, 05:46 PM
never count out AA -- if he and Rogi make the F, the longer the match goes, the better it is for Baldy.

Rafa = Fed Killa
09-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Won't a long match benefit the 24 yr old who has played less tennis in this tournament rather than the 35 yr old who has played 2 5-setters?

jenanun
09-09-2005, 07:57 PM
Won't a long match benefit the 24 yr old who has played less tennis in this tournament rather than the 35 yr old who has played 2 5-setters?

agassi spent less time than federer on court... well at least before the semi ....

R.Federer
09-09-2005, 08:07 PM
agassi spent less time than federer on court... well at least before the semi ....

Yes but unless agassi's semi is half an hour or less, he will have spent more time on court than Federer to get to the semi final.

AgassiFan
09-10-2005, 01:12 AM
lje

RogiFan88
09-10-2005, 02:25 AM
If it weren't for Federer, Andre almost certainly would have walked away with the 2004 USO, and maybe with some more luck, 2004 AO as well (too bad he wasted so many chances, including 2 set points, in those first 2 tie-breakers against Marat in the Semis, before storming back down 0-2 in sets to dominate Marat in the 3rd and 4th before running out of gas in the 5th...).

...oh, you mean like about the time Nadal was born? :p

RogiFan88
09-10-2005, 02:29 AM
Even the adoring AA crowd in Montreal didn't help him beat Rafael. But for sure that crowd will be at least doubled for the F if both Rogi and AA make it.

AgassiFan
09-10-2005, 02:49 AM
...oh, you mean like about the time Nadal was born? :p

Huh?

JeNn
09-10-2005, 03:36 AM
I am not guaranteeing he would have won had he gotten that one early-set bounce he needed against Marat, but IMO he would have been the favorite if Federer-free...

He lost to Marat though and it had nothing to do with Federer :retard: So to say that without Federer he would have won that tournament or that Federer impaired him from winning the tournament in anyway is :retard:

Search some of my recent posts, lady. You're in for a shock. Not everyone's as shallow and biased as you, fangirl.

It's just that the labels you have put on yourself mutually exclude eachother. You can't be an 'agassi fan' and an 'agassi critic' at the same time. It's impossible. Simple as that. Make up your mind (you can on the other hand be a 'fan' who sees he's fave in a realistic light, as I do).

Hilarious. Did you even watch the tournament? Agassi generally outplayed Federer Himself in the first 4 sets and was a 3rd set point away from winning in 4. Hewitt and Henman would have stood little chance that year, not with those crowds going insane especially.

I'm not the one making assurances here. You are.

(btw...still LMAO over your pathetic "size don't matter, silly... What me? Oh I love them huge!" turnaround; at least sigmagirl was honest up front ....:D)

You've pretty much rendered yourself incapable of any sophisticated logic in this thread so I wouldnt be laughing if I were you.

And yes I do prefer them big if possible, but my current BF has a dick that is just short of 6" and I'm fine with it. He isnt just a penis to me. So there is my pathetic logic being put into practice. :)