NY Times: Hewitt is "irascible and a control freak" [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

NY Times: Hewitt is "irascible and a control freak"

nobama
09-08-2005, 10:31 PM
who is this Selena Roberts and what does she really know about tennis anyway? :rolleyes:

Lleyton slammed in NY press
From Paul Malone in New York
September 9, 2005

LLEYTON Hewitt has received scalding criticism of his attitude from one of the most influential newspapers in America as he steadied himself for his final push at the US Open.

A New York Times columnist ridiculed Hewitt as "irascible and a control freak" and criticised his entourage.

In a report a day after Hewitt had reached the US Open quarter-finals for a sixth consecutive year, Times columnist and former tennis reporter Selena Roberts compared the Australian unfavourably with the attitude and approach to sporting stardom from world No.1 Roger Federer, who has won his past 15 sets against Hewitt.

"Hewitt is unvarnished, irascible and impolitic," Roberts wrote.

"He is as self-absorbed as always. In a year when he referred to an umpire with a gay slur, in a season when he nearly fought with a Davis Cup opponent, Hewitt also revealed the depths of his inner control freak.

"According to Australian reports, Hewitt sold the media rights to his spring engagement, summer wedding and wife's pregnancy. So far, no autographed pictures have surfaced on eBay."

Hewitt will undoubtedly not take the criticism to heart and could find further motivation from it as he looks to put his imprint on the US Open after making the quarter-finals for a sixth consecutive year - a feat beyond Australian greats Rod Laver and John Newcombe and American champions John McEnroe and Pete Sampras.

Roberts said Hewitt had not changed since he was a top-ranking player embroiled in legal disputes with the ATP in 2002 and 2003 and the differences in his approach to being No.1, when compared to Federer's were due to their differing personalities, but also the Australian's support crew.

"Hewitt is surrounded by a bevy of yes-men and sycophantic handlers, while Federer has chosen a liberating, agent-less existence, grounded by a girlfriend/manager who will tell the emperor off," Roberts claimed.

It is not the first time that Hewitt has been castigated by US media organisations.

In July, American journalist Joel Drucker wrote an open letter to Hewitt in the American magazine Tennis which was critical of what he said was a lack of responsibility to tennis, particular in terms of his media availability.

"Are you a first-rate mate or a top-tier twerp?," Drucker wrote.

"Lleyton, what is it about you and your antics that even ticks off a man as gracious as James Blake?"

Some New York newspapers also castigated a 20-year-old Hewitt for making what they construed as accusations of racially-motivated bias against an African-American linesman in a match he played against Blake.

Roberts even found fault this week with Hewitt's tongue-in-cheek comments about the unusual pink shirt worn by his fourth-round victim Dominik Hrbaty.

"Hewitt had to save his typically tasteless remarks for later, when he poked at the holes designed and cut into the shoulder blades of Hrbaty's fashionista shirt," she said.

Hewitt had said at a press conference: "I wouldn't wear it, but it made it a lot easier for me to beat him. I just couldn't lose to a bloke wearing a shirt like that."

After reaching the quarter-finals for a sixth time at the age of 24, Hewitt, who plays Finn Jarkko Niemenin today for a semi-final berth, said he had no thoughts on retirement.

"It's a huge positive to have a great record here. It's not an easy grand slam to do well at, but I love playing in New York ... love the conditions," Hewitt said.

"I'd like to play as long as possible, as long as my body can put up with it. Who knows really? It's just a matter of taking as much care as possible with your body."

The Courier-Mail

oneandonlyhsn
09-08-2005, 10:32 PM
What a bitch :fiery:

mangoes
09-08-2005, 10:33 PM
WOWOW....................What a negative article to write..............Who did Lleyton piss off is my question............... :confused: ...........It has the smell of revenge.

nobama
09-08-2005, 10:37 PM
What a bitch :fiery:No kidding.....although I think she likes Roger only because he told her he wants to become an ambassador (I don't know of what) when he quits tennis.

blosson
09-08-2005, 10:39 PM
wouldn't he be an ambassador of tennis?

mishar
09-08-2005, 10:39 PM
She always writes really nasty unfair bitchy articles (albeit with a grain of truth :0).

She wrote a really nasty one about Capriati a couple of years ago.

federer express
09-08-2005, 10:41 PM
selena roberts aka guille 'the serve' coria

G O
09-08-2005, 10:54 PM
Well, anyone who's been blessed to have met Joel Drucker knows he's a A-Class loser. And this biatch doesn't sound much different. Typical American journalism.

And, I'm getting tired of all the Blake shit! Blake has everyone fooled. I'm am not kidding guys. Anyone who's been to more than a few Blake matches can see this guy has a short fuse. He's tops my list of bigist ego in the game for sure. I don't want to get started on him. I used to like him like everyone else, but slowy I saw what he was about.

nobama
09-08-2005, 10:57 PM
wouldn't he be an ambassador of tennis?I suppose. But what exactly is that? Just someone who goes around and promotes the game? I'd like to see him in a commentary box some day.

1sun
09-08-2005, 11:01 PM
bitch

G O
09-08-2005, 11:04 PM
I'd like to drop a "C" word for this one.

mangoes
09-08-2005, 11:04 PM
I suppose. But what exactly is that? Just someone who goes around and promotes the game? I'd like to see him in a commentary box some day.

I think he would do an awesome job promoting the game. I don't want to see him become another commentator.

mangoes
09-08-2005, 11:05 PM
And, I'm getting tired of all the Blake shit! Blake has everyone fooled. I'm am not kidding guys. Anyone who's been to more than a few Blake matches can see this guy has a short fuse. He's tops my list of bigist ego in the game for sure. I don't want to get started on him. I used to like him like everyone else, but slowy I saw what he was about.

You aren't the only one with that opinion................

rofe
09-08-2005, 11:07 PM
Another journalist with a holier-than-thou attitude. :rolleyes:

Nothing to see here, move along.

Socket
09-08-2005, 11:09 PM
I had to laugh at the part where she talked about Lleyton's "obscene gestures." Bitch, it was CORIA who was grabbing his crotch, not Lleyton.

This bitch must be the only person in the world who actually thinks that Lleyton's comments about Hrbaty's shirt weren't funny. Talk about PMSing! :rolleyes:

wipeout
09-08-2005, 11:09 PM
"Hewitt is surrounded by a bevy of yes-men and sycophantic handlers"

I don't know if that's true but it sounds unlike Lleyton. I think he'd be more likely to have a few mates he plays football with hanging around, if anyone.

mangoes
09-08-2005, 11:13 PM
I had to laugh at the part where she talked about Lleyton's "obscene gestures." Bitch, it was CORIA who was grabbing his crotch, not Lleyton.

This bitch must be the only person in the world who actually thinks that Lleyton's comments about Hrbaty's shirt weren't funny. Talk about PMSing! :rolleyes:

WHY IS IT WHEN A WOMAN SAYS SOMETHING A MAN DOESN'T AGREE WITH SHE IS PSMing? :mad:

Socket
09-08-2005, 11:13 PM
Well, anyone who's been blessed to have met Joel Drucker knows he's a A-Class loser. And this biatch doesn't sound much different. Typical American journalism.

I don't think that Blake is any worse than most players, but I don't agree with the media that he's that much better than anbody else. It's just grating to hear the media grovel before him and serve him up to us as a cross between Mother Theresa, Mahatma Gandhi, and Martin Luther King. He reads on the toilet while he shits just like everybody else.

TenHound
09-08-2005, 11:19 PM
Selena Roberts is one of the most knowledgeable tennis journalists. Nothing she said wasn't obvious. Hewitt is detested by virtually all in the game. What's more interesting is what line a player has to cross before insiders will publicly criticize players. Usually the crap they say could just as well have been written by some pr agency. Finally, it's become ok not to be apologists for Wms. sisters, but that took their obvious indifference to the game, emergence of James Blake & finally the beyond the pale behavior over the Hurricane. Wonder why it became acceptable to state the obvious about the utterly obnoxious Hewitt?

Socket
09-08-2005, 11:20 PM
WHY IS IT WHEN A WOMAN SAYS SOMETHING A MAN DOESN'T AGREE WITH SHE IS PSMing? :mad:
I am a woman, and I know enough about my gender to know if when a woman is PMSing, either literally or figuratively.

Socket
09-08-2005, 11:23 PM

I don't know if that's true but it sounds unlike Lleyton. I think he'd be more likely to have a few mates he plays football with hanging around, if anyone.
That's another completely false statement, and it really shows you how little Roberts know about Lleyton.

mangoes
09-08-2005, 11:23 PM
I am a woman, and I know enough about my gender to know if when a woman is PMSing, either literally or figuratively.

lolololololol.......................... didn't know............. thought you were a guy using the pms line.

Socket
09-08-2005, 11:25 PM
lolololololol.......................... didn't know............. thought you were a guy using the pms line.
:yeah: Don't worry, I only use when a woman really is being a bitch. :devil:

G O
09-08-2005, 11:30 PM
I don't think that Blake is any worse than most players, but I don't agree with the media that he's that much better than anbody else. It's just grating to hear the media grovel before him and serve him up to us as a cross between Mother Theresa, Mahatma Gandhi, and Martin Luther King. He reads on the toilet while he shits just like everybody else.

Yes..I understand you, but he's got people fooled for sure. He IS worse than other players. US media want's us to believe he's a favorite in the locker room...NOT! I know plenty of the european guys who can't stand him and his Hewittesqe on court antics. He's gets up in their faces at the net, Iv'e seen him take shots at guys at net....I can give you plenty of examples. No exaggerating here.

James is a hypocrit. He and Mardy Fish, Andy all the us boys excluding Taylor are cocky shits. I dont' hate these guys, but they're shits. But james, jeeeus he is MILKING this thing. This injury that happend over a year ago, the death of his father.....I felt really bad for him back in April 04, but that was then. I'm sick of hearing about it every 7 seconds. Using your own father....you keep that shit hidden, you don't share that stuff. He's milking this.

Angle Queen
09-08-2005, 11:38 PM

I don't know if that's true but it sounds unlike Lleyton. I think he'd be more likely to have a few mates he plays football with hanging around, if anyone.I winced at that statement too...only because, while I'm a Hewitt fan, I do not like his entourage. I don't know too much about his business managers (although I think they've made some questionable moves lately) but I have a real problem with a man his age...still having his parents show up to virtually every match. Girlfriends and wives get a pass...but grow up, Lleyton. Start doing some thinking for yourself and cut loose the parental hovering. You're gonna be a parent here shortly yourself so it's time to show some maturity on- and off-court.

mangoes
09-08-2005, 11:41 PM
Yes..I understand you, but he's got people fooled for sure. He IS worse than other players. US media want's us to believe he's a favorite in the locker room...NOT! I know plenty of the european guys who can't stand him and his Hewittesqe on court antics. He's gets up in their faces at the net, Iv'e seen him take shots at guys at net....I can give you plenty of examples. No exaggerating here.

James is a hypocrit. He and Mardy Fish, Andy all the us boys excluding Taylor are cocky shits. I dont' hate these guys, but they're shits. But james, jeeeus he is MILKING this thing. This injury that happend over a year ago, the death of his father.....I felt really bad for him back in April 04, but that was then. I'm sick of hearing about it every 7 seconds. Using your own father....you keep that shit hidden, you don't share that stuff. He's milking this.

Well, I may be sick of the James and the media constantly talking about his woes and I personally think James is milking it................however, everyone has said he has a nice personality..............one thing that I will completely agree with you on is that Taylor Dent is not a cocky guy.

Raquel
09-08-2005, 11:41 PM

The Joel Drucker letter to Lleyton was embarrassing.

The Lleyton/Blake incident will always be mentioned in negative articles written about Lleyton. The Joel Drucker letter used the Blake/Hewitt Australian Open match as an example of how awful Lleyton was because if he can upset a distinguished gentleman like James, surely he must be bad. Cut to 6 months later and James is cursing a blue streak at an umpire after a doubles match (allegedly) and buying tickets for friends who clap service faults and sing the losing opponent off the court to a chorus of Goodbyes. I even read one website say James Blake's run at the US Open had the capability to allow him transcend the sport and become an icon in America, such was the measure of the man (or something like that). OK he won a title and beat Nadal, but let's not get carried away here.

oneandonlyhsn
09-08-2005, 11:42 PM
This article just infuriates me, everyone is kissing at the ground Andre walks on, he is so nice, what a gentleman, sure I have loads of repsct for him but come on nobody seems to remember when he refused to play TMC 2002 :scratch: coz he knew Lleyton would kick his ass back then. Him telling the wimby lineswoman to get laid and all his homophobic slurs. I dont think Hewitt has done anything remotely bad as what the shit Andre pulled off during his younger days. Makes me wonder why people dont just leave Hewitt alone is it that he is Aussie so he gets more shit from the media

Socket
09-08-2005, 11:45 PM
This article just infuriates me, everyone is kissing at the ground Andre walks on, he is so nice, what a gentleman, sure I have loads of repsct for him but come on nobody seems to remember when he refused to play TMC 2002 :scratch: coz he knew Lleyton would kick his ass back then. Him telling the wimby lineswoman to get laid and all his homophobic slurs. I dont think Hewitt has done anything remotely bad as what the shit Andre pulled off during his younger days. Makes me wonder why people dont just leave Hewitt alone is it that he is Aussie so he gets more shit from the media
And don't forget that Andre refused to play Wimbledon for several years because he didn't like their "all-white" rule and once called a high-ranking ITF official a "bozo." But journalists have very selective memories, of course.

Socket
09-08-2005, 11:49 PM
I winced at that statement too...only because, while I'm a Hewitt fan, I do not like his entourage. I don't know too much about his business managers (although I think they've made some questionable moves lately) but I have a real problem with a man his age...still having his parents show up to virtually every match. Girlfriends and wives get a pass...but grow up, Lleyton. Start doing some thinking for yourself and cut loose the parental hovering. You're gonna be a parent here shortly yourself so it's time to show some maturity on- and off-court.
I just can't get exercised over the parents (or the sister) hanging around. Lleyton likes to have his family in his players box during matches, and it works for him. And they'll all be handy, dandy baby-sitters next year, so I'm sure his wife is happy to have them around, too. :)

mangoes
09-08-2005, 11:49 PM
I have a question. Many of my friends don't like Lleyton for one main reason................ They claim he used a racial slur at James Blake. Is that true?

Angle Queen
09-08-2005, 11:51 PM
I just can't get exercised over the parents (or the sister) hanging around. Lleyton likes to have his family in his players box during matches, and it works for him. And they'll all be handy, dandy baby-sitters next year, so I'm sure his wife is happy to have them around, too. :)I'm wondering which one of the three...will be back at the hotel room with lil junior/juniorette. ;)

Clara Bow
09-08-2005, 11:55 PM
This is not a criticism of Lleyton, because you can't control who your parents are - but I have heard that Lleyton's father is not a nice person and can really be rather mean, to his kids even. And I do think that if you grow up in a household with a hard personality, that can cause you to more abrasive. I do think that Hewitt is more abrasive than a good number of others in his comments about other players or to officials.

But- I think Hewitt is good for the game, because if he is thinking something- you know he is going to say it - consequences be damned. You need your characters in tennis and Hewitt is a character.

Off topic but-

I will completely agree with you on is that Taylor Dent is not a cocky guy.

I really like Taylor. I just hope he gets his fitness improved and has a breakthrough one day. One thing that is funny though is that Taylor is not too keen on Hewitt. But really do all players need to like all other players? They haven't in the past and I don't know why they need to now.

binkygirl
09-09-2005, 12:00 AM
The Joel Drucker letter to Lleyton was embarrassing.

The Lleyton/Blake incident will always be mentioned in negative articles written about Lleyton. The Joel Drucker letter used the Blake/Hewitt Australian Open match as an example of how awful Lleyton was because if he can upset a distinguished gentleman like James, surely he must be bad. Cut to 6 months later and James is cursing a blue streak at an umpire after a doubles match (allegedly) and buying tickets for friends who clap service faults and sing the losing opponent off the court to a chorus of Goodbyes. I even read one website say James Blake's run at the US Open had the capability to allow him transcend the sport and become an icon in America, such was the measure of the man (or something like that). OK he won a title and beat Nadal, but let's not get carried away here.

I was at the doubles match where he went Tarango on Norm Christ (or however his name is spelled). He and Malisse lost the match on a controversial point. Not to mention that Christ was the ump at James' singles match the same week where he lost to Ginepri where alot of the calls were bad. He loudly told Norm Christ,'You can't see a fucking thing!', and just read the man the riot act as the crowd looked on in stunned silence. It was weird. Malisse was just standing there waiting to walk off the court with James and I thought he'd tell James to stop, but he just absently smiled with I looked at him.

I really don't care if people think that I'm lying. You naysayers can go straight to hell and you know who you are - Deb, tangerine_dream, superpinkone, Fee, and anyone else who has a bone to pick with me. F*uck off! Thanks for all the bad reps, I love them.

binkygirl
09-09-2005, 12:07 AM
I have a question. Many of my friends don't like Lleyton for one main reason................ They claim he used a racial slur at James Blake. Is that true?

At the 2001 Open, Lleyton indicated to the umpire that he felt that a Black linesmen made a call in Blake's favor because of race. There was a huge kerfuffle about it and in retrospect, Lleyton should have apologized because its been dogging him all these years.

Socket
09-09-2005, 12:10 AM
If by racial slur, you're asking if Lleyton used the "N-word" (I'm guessing my post won't make it through the censors if I don't use the coy euphemism), the answer is no.

Lee
09-09-2005, 12:11 AM
And they'll all be handy, dandy baby-sitters next year, so I'm sure his wife is happy to have them around, too. :)

Emmmm! No, I don't think any wife is happy to have her in-laws hanging around everywhere.

If I have a hubby makes as much money as Hewitt, I can hire a nanny to hang around instead of in-laws.

Socket
09-09-2005, 12:11 AM
At the 2001 Open, Lleyton indicated to the umpire that he felt that a Black linesmen made a call in Blake's favor because of race. There was a huge kerfuffle about it and in retrospect, Lleyton should have apologized because its been dogging him all these years.
Lleyton did apologize to Blake in the locker room, and Blake has said so.

mangoes
09-09-2005, 12:13 AM

Oh ok................so he didn't call anyone buckwheat? Thanks for the explanation. I never understood what happened. But I have heard them say that he called Blake Buckwheat, and that is an insult.

Socket
09-09-2005, 12:16 AM
Oh ok................so he didn't call anyone buckwheat? Thanks for the explanation. I never understood what happened. But I have heard them say that he called Blake Buckwheat, and that is an insult.
Absolutely not. Not even the chronic Hewitt haters around here have come up with that one.

mangoes
09-09-2005, 12:19 AM
Absolutely not. Not even the chronic Hewitt haters around here have come up with that one.

Actually, I've heard a lot of people say that...................and I have even read it on this board a couple months ago in a thread..........but I didn't know the situation......

So it was made up?????? WOWOW...............Are you sure? Because I have a lot of people to correct over the weekend.

Socket
09-09-2005, 12:34 AM
Actually, I've heard a lot of people say that...................and I have even read it on this board a couple months ago in a thread..........but I didn't know the situation......

So it was made up?????? WOWOW...............Are you sure? Because I have a lot of people to correct over the weekend.
You read a lot of shit on the board. I'm sorry, but I have NEVER heard anybody accuse Lleyton of calling Blake any name at all, including all the tennis magazines and newspapers that I read.

mangoes
09-09-2005, 12:44 AM
You read a lot of shit on the board. I'm sorry, but I have NEVER heard anybody accuse Lleyton of calling Blake any at all, including all the tennis magazines and newspapers that I read.

Thanks for clearing it up. I read it on this board a long time ago in a thread and as I said I've heard people say this. It's crazy how crap can spread.

Tennis Fool
09-09-2005, 01:03 AM
Oh ok................so he didn't call anyone buckwheat?
:haha: Sorry I have to laugh at that one. Operator! :haha:

FanOfHewitt
09-09-2005, 01:27 AM
"According to Australian reports, Hewitt sold the media rights to his spring engagement, summer wedding and wife's pregnancy. So far, no autographed pictures have surfaced on eBay."

ROFLMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO@that.

nobama
09-09-2005, 01:47 AM
I winced at that statement too...only because, while I'm a Hewitt fan, I do not like his entourage. I don't know too much about his business managers (although I think they've made some questionable moves lately) but I have a real problem with a man his age...still having his parents show up to virtually every match. Girlfriends and wives get a pass...but grow up, Lleyton. Start doing some thinking for yourself and cut loose the parental hovering. You're gonna be a parent here shortly yourself so it's time to show some maturity on- and off-court.Roger's parents are in charge of his career. His mother has been at his USO matches this year. And he says he still lives in Basel so his mother can cook for him. Does Roger need to grow up too? :lol:

tangerine_dream
09-09-2005, 01:53 AM
Thank god for this thread. I need my Hewitt-bashing fix.

Tennis Fool
09-09-2005, 01:54 AM
Here's the original article.

Sports of The Times
Who's No. 1? It's Federer, in Many Ways
By SELENA ROBERTS
Published: September 7, 2005
THE meaning of a number depends on who is No. 1.

As an ex-No. 1, Lleyton Hewitt pulled off a rarity for him as he scurried around Arthur Ashe Stadium yesterday without offending a linesman with a slur, infuriating his opponent with an obscene gesture or irritating the crowd with his excessive "C'mons."

Finding Your Way at the Open
A guide to tickets, transportation, security and television coverage. He didn't have enough time. It took only 94 minutes for Hewitt to dispense of Dominik Hrbaty in the fourth round of the United States Open. So Hewitt had to save his typically tasteless remarks for later, when he poked at the holes designed and cut into the shoulder blades of Hrbaty's fashionista shirt.

"I wouldn't wear it, but it made it a lot easier for me to beat him," Hewitt said, adding, "I just couldn't lose to a bloke wearing a shirt like that."

Hewitt is unvarnished, irascible and impolitic. In other words, he hasn't changed a bit since he was the No. 1 player in 2001 and 2002, back when he created a trail of charged feuds with players and legal disputes with the ATP.

He is as self-absorbed as always. In a year when he referred to an umpire with a gay slur, in a season when he nearly fought with a Davis Cup opponent, Hewitt also revealed the depths of his inner control freak. According to Australian reports, Hewitt sold the media rights to his spring engagement, summer wedding and wife's pregnancy. So far, no autographed pictures of sonograms have surfaced on eBay.

The current No. 1, Roger Federer, followed Hewitt onto the stadium court, able to reach into his bag of liquid strokes to frustrate Nicolas Kiefer, winning in four sets while maintaining his trademark calm. Later, always the gentleman, he complimented Kiefer.

Federer took his No. 1 ranking as a responsibility, not a perch of entitlement, maturing into a player of thought, action and social awareness. Would he ever dabble in politics?

"Like Ahnold?" he said in a Schwarzenegger-esque accent during a recent lunch. "I don't think so. I'm more into, in general, helping people. Like Muhammad Ali does for the world.

"Think about the world not only like 'God Bless America' sort of thing but God bless the world, because we're all together. We're living on the same world, you know? And not alone. Sometimes people forget. This is why we have fights all over the world. Of course you can't stop them, but still pick an issue, maybe in the future. Of course it goes into politics a little bit. Maybe. Who knows what I'll do? But I don't really see this sort of role. I'd like to be more of an ambassador."

The difference in depth between Hewitt and Federer, and the divergence in their approach to No. 1, is certainly two parts personality, but at least one part entourage. Hewitt is surrounded by a bevy of yes men and sycophantic handlers, while Federer has chosen a liberating, agent-less existence, grounded by a girlfriend/manager who will tell the emperor off.

Perspective is a choice. And the choice of some top players was revealed in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. One after another, past and present No. 1 players - athletes of high visibility and influential voice - have displayed how sheltered they are by their guffawing circle of advisers.

If advised correctly, Serena Williams would not have celebrated herself as a philanthropist by offering $100 per ace to hurricane relief when her dog, Jackie, travels in a designer handbag that costs many times that much.

If anyone in her management group had prepped her, Venus Williams would not have used an unfortunate line like, "I really don't watch the news," when asked about the devastation in New Orleans.

If she could separate herself from her packaging, Maria Sharapova might have something to add on an issue outside of her perfume launch.

True, athlete activism has been rendered a quaint notion when so many sports icons continue to adopt the lucrative Michael Jordan theory on social causes. As told in Sam Smith's 1995 book, "Second Coming," Jordan was asked why he wouldn't support a black Democratic candidate to unseat Jesse Helms in North Carolina. "Republicans buy shoes, too," Jordan said.

Social conscience may have nearly flatlined in sports, but perspective doesn't have to be buried with it. It is no coincidence that the most introspective responses to Hurricane Katrina came from Andre Agassi, an ex-No. 1, and Lindsay Davenport, the current No. 1.

Agassi is handled by one man, Perry Rogers, a childhood friend who isn't afraid to tell his client the truth. The player's box for Davenport is usually filled by a coach, maybe her husband and, at times, her mother.

Agassi and Davenport do not shut themselves off with a fortress of cling-ons. Agassi and Davenport do not seek the advice of shameless sycophants.

Perspective is a choice of all those who ascend to No. 1. The perch can be treated as a responsibility - as Federer sees it - or as a pulpit of entitlement, as Hewitt once responded to it.

Perspective is not American, European or Australian. The meaning behind the world's No. 1 is universally lost or gained in the number of yes men.

E-mail: selenasports@nytimes.com

Chloe le Bopper
09-09-2005, 03:08 AM
Because people aren't very creative, I've found.

Regardless, the tone of the article is pretty ROAR, even though, as mishar said, there is probably a grain of truth to it. I'm not sure why it was necessary to write yet another "Hewitt is an asshole" article. I mean, anybody who didn't start following tennis yesterday knew that already. Next thing you know she's going to write an article on how Coria uses some rather dubious tactics during his matches, and isn't particularly well liked. Where would we be without Captain Obvious?

Chloe le Bopper
09-09-2005, 03:09 AM
Thank god for this thread. I need my Hewitt-bashing fix.
As opposed to your Nalbandian bashing fix? Rich.

Chloe le Bopper
09-09-2005, 03:11 AM
Socket is the biggest, most absurd Hewitt apologist on earth. However, she's right on this one. If Hewitt directly insulted Blake, then I missed it too.

Chloe le Bopper
09-09-2005, 03:14 AM
I think it's safe to say that some players get absurdly negative press while others get absurdly positive press. That's just the way the cookie crumbles ;)

While I have little use for Hewitt beyond his game, it goes without saying that he could pick 5 orphans up, put them on his back, and run them out of a burning building... and all the media would want to know would be why didn't he save the other two ;)

dmit424
09-09-2005, 03:34 AM
Here is a young man who doesn't really mean anyone harm, is undersized, underpowered, and is just fiery (which tennis greats Courier and McEnroe seem to love in him), unintentionally getting under his opponents' skins... AND...

He has to put up with articles like this, and those sh1tholes that interview him and say "Well, Lleyton, Taylor exposed your weakness, how do you feel about that heading into the next round?" after Hewitt played his heart and guts out to pull out a 5-set thriller. And Hewitt played it off, handled it well, even though things like that bother him, as it would any young individual, but he's probably afraid of more criticism.

He's a rather private guy, he's not Roger, he's not going to appear in every important promotion just because he's a top-5 player. He's a personality that doesn't play into the role of "tennis ambassador" and why does he have to? He is Lleyton, he keeps for himself, and he knows that alot of his previous antics (and some of his current) just make him a disliked guy... He KNOWS that people cheer against him everywhere he plays (even some at the AO), and I feel bad for him at times, because I just feel that sometimes he tries to hold back his emotions so he doesn't get more criticism.

I feel bad for the guy. He's been rather subdued this tournament, never even questioned one line call yet, is making yet ANOTHER semi, and is about to play the #1 player in the world... and gets this... I feel bad for him, I really do.

Scotso
09-09-2005, 04:21 AM
Lleyton is evil, rah rah.

Can't people ever come up with something new?

bad gambler
09-09-2005, 04:23 AM
must have been a pretty slow news day

darnyelb
09-09-2005, 04:48 AM
I can't believe the comment about Hrbaty's shirt is brought up in that article.

Chloe le Bopper
09-09-2005, 04:50 AM
Well, it was pretty grade 5. That, and everything else was brought up, so why not? I wouldn't waste too much energy trying to find deeper meaning here ;)

delsa
09-09-2005, 06:33 AM
I don't know about the NY Times on other matters but they should leave tennis alone... :rolleyes: All their articles about it during this USO have been crap...:ras:

Deejay
09-09-2005, 09:48 AM
When ever someone exposes hewitt as being a total prat...its funny how basically everyone jumps to his defence and he is always innocent! He is a good player but along with Coria he's the biggest idiot on tour...his antics during wimbledon also pissed me off...when he doesnt get a call his way he thinks the whole world is against him...grow up mate and get on with playing tennis is what I feel at times when I watch him.

Sorry to buck the trend but the comment on Hewitt's camp being yes men is actually quite believable. Can you imagine anyone in his camp telling him off? They are totally in awe of him...Rasheed's a wet blanket...Lleyton doesnt strike me as a person who would take to constructive critisicm very well...its funny but I have always kind of thought that about his camp...

mickymouse
09-09-2005, 09:54 AM
I'm surprised that this article came out at a time when Hewitt's behaviour has improved so much in this tournament. If it was the AO earlier this year, then yeah, he was overdoing his celebratory yells and gestures but he's been really low key and subdued this time round.

Castafiore
09-09-2005, 10:01 AM
I don't think that people in this thread are necessarily defending Hewitt's antics. He did make a slur that could be interpreted as a gay slur.

The point of this thread - at least, how I see it - is that Hewitt's critics are too severe on him and the author of the NY Times was referring to Agassi as a contrast. This is ignoring the fact that Agassi has made comments that could be seens as a gay slur as well. But at the moment, Agassi can't do anything wrong and Hewitt is pure evil.

Hewitt has been very calm this USO and still, some of these 'journalists' feel the need for a negative article like this? :shrug:

Most of those players are not an :angel: and neither are they a :devil: but the truth is somewhere in between, like with the rest of us, humans.
But, Hewitt gets the "evil" end of the bias and others get the "he's as good as a saint" end of the bias.

Angle Queen
09-09-2005, 11:57 AM
Roger's parents are in charge of his career. His mother has been at his USO matches this year. And he says he still lives in Basel so his mother can cook for him. Does Roger need to grow up too? :lol:Sorry, mirkaland...my point was that Lleyton's parents actually attend almost all of Lleyton's matches. I've rarely seen Roger's folks parading around. And having your parents in charge of your business affairs isn't necessarily a bad thing (I know Andy's parents stay involved in his matters too)...but in the Hewitts case, collectively, it's just too much.

As to your other point, Roger is not married and not about to become a parent himself. He can still be a kid...although I don't think anyone would dare question his maturity. Lleyton needs to grow up.

Castafiore
09-09-2005, 12:19 PM
still having his parents show up to virtually every match. Girlfriends and wives get a pass...but grow up, Lleyton.
What's wrong with Lleyton's parents wanting to see his big matches? It's not like they're holding his hand before the match and tell him to be a big boy now and if he wins the match, he'll get a shiny bicycle.

Angle Queen
09-09-2005, 12:21 PM
What's wrong with Lleyton's parents wanting to see his big matches? It's not like they're holding his hand before the match and tell him to be a big boy now and if he wins the match, he'll get a shiny bicycle.Please guys...come on...BIG matches are fine...but Lleyton's parents follow him everywhere!

Castafiore
09-09-2005, 12:25 PM
Please guys...come on...BIG matches are fine...but Lleyton's parents follow him everywhere!
Do they follow him around everywhere? I have no idea and neither do I care, quite frankly.

They have the time and money to go to his matches so why not?
That is not a reflection on Lleyton's maturity and I don't see why you think that he needs to grow up because of that.

Socket
09-09-2005, 12:42 PM
Socket is the biggest, most absurd Hewitt apologist on earth.
Oh, honey, you're making me blush. :angel: :angel:

Socket
09-09-2005, 12:44 PM
Please guys...come on...BIG matches are fine...but Lleyton's parents follow him everywhere!
I'm OK with parents following their offspring around as long as they don't coach them. Although I have to admit for for some players, parental coaches have worked beautifully.

nobama
09-09-2005, 12:46 PM
Please guys...come on...BIG matches are fine...but Lleyton's parents follow him everywhere!So what if they attend most of his matches. What does that have to do with anything? Just because his parents watch him play means he isn't mature? Come on. :silly:

Mrs. B
09-09-2005, 12:59 PM

AQ, have you noticed, they also now wear the same shirt brand their son wears on court.

andre the great
09-09-2005, 01:05 PM
My only problem with Hewitt is that he is serving like crap and will get destroyed by the mighty Fed. Therefore condemning Baldy to another US Open runners- up spot.

Angle Queen
09-09-2005, 01:12 PM
AQ, have you noticed, they also now wear the same shirt brand their son wears on court.Yeah...doesn't surprise me and I wouldn't necessarily expect anything less. I'm sure Yonex is paying handsomely for the privilege. Actually, I've kinda liked his new gear. Something different from Nike is good for a change.

tennischick
09-09-2005, 01:20 PM
must have been a pretty slow news day
:yeah: bingo!!!

she is how many years late on this? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

yes there is a kernel of truth -- but it is nothing new. i don't get the point of the timing. a piece on Coria might have been more in tune with the pulse of tennis.

and apparently she missed Agassi's and all the commentators snide comments on Hrbaty's shirt. :rolleyes:

Turkeyballs Paco
09-09-2005, 02:40 PM
:yeah: bingo!!!

she is how many years late on this? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

yes there is a kernel of truth -- but it is nothing new. i don't get the point of the timing. a piece on Coria might have been more in tune with the pulse of tennis.

and apparently she missed Agassi's and all the commentators snide comments on Hrbaty's shirt. :rolleyes:

:lol: I know it.

YAWN. This thread... :rolleyes: Always the same morons rehashing the same tired bullshit. :yawn:

1sun
09-09-2005, 02:57 PM
I'd like to drop a "C" word for this one.

mangoes
09-09-2005, 03:03 PM

Especially given the fact that McEnroe has been the biggest idiot about the shirt until it has become downright irritating.

mangoes
09-09-2005, 03:07 PM
You know everyone has been bitching out Hewitt, I'm curious, Did McEnroe get this much bad press when he acted like a real jackass?

Because as I listen to him, I really do realize what an ass he is..................

Angle Queen
09-09-2005, 03:10 PM
You know everyone has been bitching out Hewitt, I'm curious, Did McEnroe get this much bad press when he acted like a real jackass?:lol: Yes, he did...but he also had to share the not-so-limelight with some others: Connors and Nastase.

Turkeyballs Paco
09-09-2005, 03:23 PM
No. Tennis fans back then weren't the pussies they seem to be now.

Socket
09-09-2005, 04:56 PM
I agree with queen alexandria. There was much more tolerance for bad boys on the tour in the 70s and 80s. People found them very entertaining and loved getting into the matches with them. McEnroe frequently engaged the crowd, and if one of the spectators was willing to go at it with him (and a few brave souls were), it was a great time for all. Players just weren't supposed to be saints or even boy scouts back then. A lot of Andre's appeal in his early days was that he had some of that bad-boy persona, while Sampras was more like an accountant.

McEnroe once shouted at somebody in the crowd for eating a sandwich while he was serving. Any player who did that today would be crucified.

PamV
09-09-2005, 05:00 PM
The New York Times is a rag. But I don't see how anything Hewitt has ever done is worse than their beloved McEnroe in his youth.

alfonsojose
09-09-2005, 06:00 PM
AQ, have you noticed, they also now wear the same shirt brand their son wears on court.
:eek: maybe they follow him inside the bedroom too. That's why Kim dumped him but Becca gets horny fucking in front of her parents in law :tape:

NYCtennisfan
09-10-2005, 02:48 AM
You know everyone has been bitching out Hewitt, I'm curious, Did McEnroe get this much bad press when he acted like a real jackass?

Because as I listen to him, I really do realize what an ass he is..................

Oh yes. You won't believe how many "spoiled brat " articles were written about him. All the articles were true though because he was a spoiled brat. Imagine a young kid who had a father who worked as a high power corporate attorney in a powerful Manhattan law firm, and was incredibly gifted at tennis with everyone fawning all over him. He did whatever he wanted and was called on it time and time again.

R.Federer
09-10-2005, 02:52 AM
The press has indeed come down hard on hewitt. Although, there are some differences between him and McEnroe

McEnroe did not shun the press or sue the ATP --now shunning the press when they have the power to call you irascible, is one reason that leyton gets so much flak.
Also, McEnroe was wildly entertaining in his outbursts against umpires. People laughed with him and at him. But no one is laughing at leyton's outbursts.
One person who gave the press as little time of day as leyton is marcelo rios. And we all know how they pulled him down

dmit424
09-10-2005, 02:54 AM
When he was 20 years old, Lleyton refused to attend a "marketing meeting" in the U.S. that he said wasn't part of his requirements. All the more reason to miss it, it was during New Year's week. At the same time, he was doing his "Cmon's!" to pump himself up... the most he could do to show him fire when poccessing a game very devoid of power. A year or so later, he was fined half his Cincinnati prize money for refusing a required ESPN interview, and eventually the fine is reduced to 20,000 U.S. dollars...

At the same age, Agassi refused to play Wimbeldon... more than once... due to their required "all white" dress code.

Puh-lease. As far as young male athletes are concerned, there's absolutely nothing evil or strange about Hewitt. Whoever wrote the article seems to be the type of person that would put a tack under someone's ass, as a joke.

Action Jackson
09-10-2005, 07:42 AM
This is one of the greatest pieces of journalism and should be nominated for a Pullitzer Prize, such is the quality of this.

I wonder what article revelling in its own brilliance will come from this quality journalist.

Chloe le Bopper
09-10-2005, 08:05 AM
Oh, honey, you're making me blush. :angel: :angel:

And you're so cute when you do :hearts:

The Gucci one
09-10-2005, 08:17 AM
New York Times enough said.
How could they possibly understand someone like Lleyton they come from completely different perspectives and are bound to collide.

The New York Times rep has travelled far even to the land downunder.

binkygirl
09-11-2005, 05:56 AM

They very likely got a clothing deal as well, just like Henin-Hardenne's hubby. Does anyone know how much he is paid for his clothing deal?

binkygirl
09-11-2005, 06:06 AM
You read a lot of shit on the board. I'm sorry, but I have NEVER heard anybody accuse Lleyton of calling Blake any name at all, including all the tennis magazines and newspapers that I read.

He didn't call James any name, but for some reason that incident has taken on a life of its own and he can never shake it. I remember when it happened, it got huge media coverage, mainly because Blake is a hometown favorite in NYC.