Why is Hewitt>Coria on hard? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why is Hewitt>Coria on hard?

dmit424
09-08-2005, 07:20 PM
I don't get it... They seem to play similar, except Coria seems to have slightly better shot making. I KNOW Hewitt is better on the faster services, but what's the break down? Why? I am trying to find it, but can't...

nermo
09-08-2005, 07:27 PM
1)physical conditions differs..Hewitt is stronger, Coria has been suffering from different injuries lately ..and whether they 're 100% there or some of it is psychological ..Hewitt is favored on this part..
2) sometimes, i think Coria expects the Worst Scenarios when he's approaching winning ,he loses Confidence in himself ,so weird things happen with him..and that's not the case with Hewitt who is more confident by nature...hard courts require rapid response and this is better when u have more selfconfidence

federer express
09-08-2005, 07:28 PM
hewitt has a slightly more pro-active approach on court compared to coria who can become purely reactive. but there is by no means a major gulf between the two...

daze11
09-08-2005, 07:37 PM
i've noticed coria's timing is off more on hard court...makes more unforced errors as a result... because its always a surface he has to get 'used to' playing on, so even though he has more shots and is a tad better at constructing points, his positioning is not as good on hard court. plus his only real backcourt weakness is getting BLOWN OFF the court by power, as with hrbody at the hopman cup. hewitt's musculature/size suits all-power exchanges more.

but when you flop that question to clay, using such similar skill sets, it is clear coria has a larger lead over hewitt on that surface than hewitt has over guille on hard court.

since lleyton wouldnt overpower coria on HC, however, they would have a very exciting match, IMO ...assuming a healthy coria.

Skyward
09-08-2005, 07:56 PM
Ask Alfonso. He should come up with a valid explanation. ;)

Mechlan
09-08-2005, 08:04 PM

About why Hewitt > Coria on hard? :D

dmit424
09-08-2005, 08:06 PM
i've noticed coria's timing is off more on hard court...makes more unforced errors as a result... because its always a surface he has to get 'used to' playing on, so even though he has more shots and is a tad better at constructing points, his positioning is not as good on hard court. plus his only real backcourt weakness is getting BLOWN OFF the court by power, as with hrbody at the hopman cup. hewitt's musculature/size suits all-power exchanges more.

but when you flop that question to clay, using such similar skill sets, it is clear coria has a larger lead over hewitt on that surface than hewitt has over guille on hard court.

since lleyton wouldnt overpower coria on HC, however, they would have a very exciting match, IMO ...assuming a healthy coria.

While Coria is definetely a couple notches above Hewitt on clay, Hewitt isn't a sitting duck on Clay like a Roddick... And I think it's arguable whether Coria is more succesful on hard than Hewitt on clay... Hewitt has had a VERY good career on hard and grass, but Coria does not have any Grand Slams and doesn't have much good hardcourt results besides this U.S. Open. Granted, same goes for Hewitt on clay, but I think the two are about equal on their respective "good" courts...

Lol, and hey, for Coria, Nadal is the guy he will REALLY struggle with, and for Hewitt it's Roger. Either way, I love watching both, even though they hate each other.

Raquel
09-08-2005, 08:08 PM
Lleyton's serve is a lot better which helps on faster courts. In the last couple of years he's been getting a lot more free points on his first serve. Coria can't rely on his serve to win him free points in the same way.

federer express
09-08-2005, 08:10 PM
Lleyton's serve is a lot better which helps on faster courts. In the last couple of years he's been getting a lot more free points on his first serve. Coria can't rely on his serve to win him free points in the same way.

hope people dont get carried away with how bad coria's serve is. he has been strugling with it since his surgery, but hopefully he wont always. worryingly though, tommy who had shoulder surgery too has has a problem with the consistency of his serve ever since.

Timariot
09-08-2005, 10:14 PM
1. Hewitt has better serve
2. Hewitt has superb mid-court put-away shots
3. Hewitt's tactics are better suited for hardcourts

alfonsojose
09-09-2005, 05:45 PM
:drool: Hewitt is bigger than anyone on ATP.

joyk
09-09-2005, 07:28 PM
How do you know?

JeNn
09-09-2005, 10:32 PM
:drool: Hewitt is bigger than anyone on ATP.

True that :lol:

Why is Hewitt>Coria on hard?

Simple mathematics.

9" > 4" ;)