Blake could have won the tournament? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Blake could have won the tournament?

ToanNguyen
09-08-2005, 02:14 PM
I read this article and here's part of it:

"You can talk all you want about Jimmy Connors amazing run to the U.S. Open semifinals in 1991 at the age of 39, but he never faced a player with the talent level of the zoning Blake, a guy who if he had managed to hold serve at 5-4 in the fifth set, could have gone on to win the tournament."

I don't think he could have won the tournament even if he won over Agassi. Can he beat Federer or Hewitt in the final? I don't think so. He played really well for his usual standard but I don't think it is still good enough to beat out Federer.

TheMightyFed
09-08-2005, 02:16 PM
Everything is possible in tennis, look at Chang in 89. But with the ifs, we can go far... Blake is great and he will win a slam.

Fumus
09-08-2005, 02:16 PM
I definitly think Blake blew that match. I agree with that.

andre the great
09-08-2005, 02:19 PM
He was a man on a mission. Fed is playing the invincible brand of all conquering tennis which he does in Wimby. He was very slack against Kiefer. If Blake played like he did against Nadal and for most of last night. And if Rogi produced some of the lacklustre form that he showed the other night. Then I have no doubt Blake could have pulled it off. Anyways he'll have the consolation of having being beaten by the eventual champion.

Fumus
09-08-2005, 02:22 PM
He was a man on a mission. Fed is playing the invincible brand of all conquering tennis which he does in Wimby. He was very slack against Kiefer. If Blake played like he did against Nadal and for most of last night. And if Rogi produced some of the lacklustre form that he showed the other night. Then I have no doubt Blake could have pulled it off. Anyways he'll have the consolation of having being beaten by the eventual champion.

Yea right Andre won't even make it past your Robby. :cool:

ToanNguyen
09-08-2005, 02:27 PM
Everything is possible in tennis, look at Chang in 89. But with the ifs, we can go far... Blake is great and he will win a slam.
Of course everything is possible in tennis, however, realisticly speaking, the chance that Blake will beat Federer in final is quite low.

andre the great
09-08-2005, 02:29 PM
If Robby beats Andre then low flying aircraft will have to negotiate the sudden appearance of hordes of flying swine

skel1983
09-08-2005, 02:32 PM
If Robby beats Andre then low flying aircraft will have to negotiate the sudden appearance of hordes of flying swine

Realictically, Federer would beat anyone left, but for me out of all the players Blake's style and power would give Roger the most problems, and to say Blake wouldn't beat Hewitt, i seriously don't know about that,Mentally maybe but Blake could run over Hewitt these days i feel!!

Fumus
09-08-2005, 02:34 PM

Yea, well Andre played like crap for most of match last night. He was lucky James got captured by the moment and let himback in. Andre isn't playing well and if he plays that way against an inform Robby he was lose in four sets or less. :)

andre the great
09-08-2005, 02:36 PM
We shall see Fumus. All will be revealed on Saturday. Hopefully it will be a super one

TheMightyFed
09-08-2005, 02:36 PM
Yea, well Andre played like crap for most of match last night. He was lucky James got captured by the moment and let himback in. Andre isn't playing well and if he plays that way against an inform Robby he was lose in four sets or less. :)
What is that BS ? Semi-final of USO and he doesn't play well ? At 35 ? With magic-ballistic-returns and aces at key moments ? You're joking ?

Fumus
09-08-2005, 02:44 PM
What is that BS ? Semi-final of USO and he doesn't play well ? At 35 ? With magic-ballistic-returns and aces at key moments ? You're joking ?

Yea, he didn't play well. Andre just snuck that one out by hanging in there. Blake's play dropped for the 3 and 4th, as soon as Blake started playing well in the 5th he's up a break and serving for the match. Don't lie to yourself and pretend that Andre didn't have alot of help last night. In the 5th set from when James got broken serving it out, Andre rose to occasion and started going for it. Anyways, yes, Andre isn' playing that well. Go watch that match again and look how he had more unforced errors than winners for most of that match. Look how low his first serve %... :)

Merton
09-08-2005, 02:52 PM
At the end of the first week, Blake was given odds of 15/1 to emerge as the outright winner of the U.S. Open. That implies a non zero probability of winning all.

TheMightyFed
09-08-2005, 02:53 PM
Yea, he didn't play well. Andre just snuck that one out by hanging in there. Blake's play dropped for the 3 and 4th, as soon as Blake started playing well in the 5th he's up a break and serving for the match. Don't lie to yourself and pretend that Andre didn't have alot of help last night. In the 5th set from when James got broken serving it out, Andre rose to occasion and started going for it. Anyways, yes, Andre isn' playing that well. Go watch that match again and look how he had more unforced errors than winners for most of that match. Look how low his first serve %... :)
I've seen him play much worse, like against Fed in Dubai...

Fumus
09-08-2005, 02:55 PM
I've seen him play much worse, like against Fed in Dubai...

Oh so you admit he's not playing well.

I win. haha :D

Yea, I know. I love Andre don't get me wrong, I am just calling a spadea a spadea here and saying Blake shoulda won that match. :)

ToanNguyen
09-08-2005, 03:00 PM
Oh so you admit he's not playing well.

I win. haha :D

Yea, I know. I love Andre don't get me wrong, I am just calling a spadea a spadea here and saying Blake shoulda won that match. :)
Agree. He choked big time. That is why if he's in the final, I think he will choke even more.

ExpectedWinner
09-08-2005, 03:01 PM
He spends a lot of unnecessary energy on the court. It was inevitable that someone'd pick on it during 2 weeks best of 5 tournament.

skel1983
09-08-2005, 03:07 PM
He spends a lot of unnecessary energy on the court. It was inevitable that someone'd pick on it during 2 weeks best of 5 tournament.

Energy?????

Are we still talking about Blake here??

It was nothing to do with energy, he is a very fit guy, it was called buckling under the pressure, nothing to do with energy, did you see how short his second serves became at the business end of the fifth??
It was pure mental weakness, the pressure was to much for him. But he will learn and be back.

ExpectedWinner
09-08-2005, 03:13 PM
Energy?????

Are we still talking about Blake here??

It was nothing to do with energy, he is a very fit guy, it was called buckling under the pressure, nothing to do with energy, did you see how short his second serves became at the business end of the fifth??
It was pure mental weakness, the pressure was to much for him. But he will learn and be back.

Yes, we are talking about Blake here. He slowed down significantly in the 3rd set. Physical condition translates into the mind. Hopefully he'll learn how to pace himself.

binkygirl
09-09-2005, 01:06 AM
I don't think he would have won the tournament. He doesn't have the sort of mental toughness required.

shaoyu
09-09-2005, 02:08 AM
Yes, we are talking about Blake here. He slowed down significantly in the 3rd set. Physical condition translates into the mind. Hopefully he'll learn how to pace himself.

Agreed. Blake needs to master efficient use of energy. He was trying to track down every one of Agassi's attack and it turned out costly for him. He is obviously inexperienced in this sense. Look at how Safin played Agassi in 2004 AO SF one would understand the difference. At Blake's current stage he had little chance to challenge for the title.