Coria the mental rock?? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Coria the mental rock??

skel1983
09-08-2005, 11:16 AM
Can someone tell me what has happened to Coria's game??

He seems to make life for himself these days so hard, recently he has looked mentally weak, which is so suprising considering his past achievments and his general way of playing. I use to have him up there with Hewitt as the rock of the tour i.e gave 100% all the time grinding away with few unforced errors.

His game seems to have gone down a level his intensity has suffered and because of this his game has suffered, is there any explanation of this.

TheMightyFed
09-08-2005, 11:58 AM
He stopped taking 'roids...
seriously, he has a history of major choking, between his RG 04 final where he got MP, his close 5th set tie-break against Nadal in Rome 05, last night five-setter against Ginepri where he got these double-fauklts on critical points and MP... We talk about Mathieu, but Coria is not bad either... Mental rock ? No way !

Baseline
09-08-2005, 12:00 PM
He has a nerve injury and can't even feel his hand, but still he played and played great and saved 5 break points!

TheMightyFed
09-08-2005, 12:05 PM
He has a nerve injury and can't even feel his hand, but still he played and played great and saved 5 break points!
Yes you're right I forgot, besides choking he's a lso the best to find injuries when he loses :devil:

Baseline
09-08-2005, 01:48 PM
I didn't expect you to believe he has injuries. Mayer said Coria was faking his shoulder injurying during Wimbledon in 2004 too. You think he faked the surgery as well? Check and see how long it has taken Enqvist to return from his shoulder surgery e.g.

Don't know why I bother even coming to MTF - it is so full of hate.

TheMightyFed
09-08-2005, 01:55 PM
I didn't expect you to believe he has injuries. Mayer said Coria was faking his shoulder injurying during Wimbledon in 2004 too. You think he faked the surgery as well? Check and see how long it has taken Enqvist to return from his shoulder surgery e.g.

OK, that was sarcastic, don't take it too seriously, I know he had surgery and was courageous to come back quickly. He's a bit of a dram queen and we need such a character, plus he can play awesome... ;)

Baseline
09-08-2005, 03:53 PM
Thanks! I didn't expect that, and I appreciate it - might even hang around here more. I don't mind the criticisms so much when they are objective and balanced. As you can see I'm pretty sensitive about people bashing Coria (IMO) often unfairly. Fair bashing I can take. Can't deny he's had some issues, but I also won't give up on someone who can play as well as he can.

It's nice to think most people complain because they also want to see Coria succeed and are frustrated when he doesn't - only natural. Your comments help me see the Coria bashing in a new light.

Would have been better not to end it on those 2 DFs - that's the part that's tough to take. Other than this new DF issue though I think he's moving in the right direction. He out-aced and outplayed Ginepri overall. Take away the 9 DF differential and he would have won by 15 points.

I know you can't and that Ginepri is the one in the semis, but I think Coria knows he's not in shape physically to take it to the finals anyway. Knowing that affected how much he wanted to win the QF and hence the result.

He lost RG 04 because he wanted it too badly, but I think he lost this QF because he didn't want it badly enough - it's not his priority right now.
That's why I don't quite see this match as a choke, at least not in the full sense - not after he saved 5 match points - he would have lost earlier if he was choking IMHO.

He's saving something for the China Open next week and Davis Cup the week after that, and with these shoulder/nerve issues he's already pushing it. Davis Cup is his main priority right now, even over the Open and getting to Shanghai.

Peace! :cool:

daze11
09-09-2005, 08:03 PM
i think coria is still a mental rock. especially when he's down, he can dig in and hit the ballsiest shots at the toughest moments, and everyone gasps with amazement when he does it: the crowd, the announcers, the opponent.

but what happened since the 04 french f is that he stopped "loving the win" and has focused through the other lense of "hating to lose"...which is a more negative place and holds more fear.

to me, this is the shift he has to make at this stage of his growth as a player: recover the love of the battle for its OWN sake and take it to his opponents as he did throughout 2003 and half of 2004. when he's down, you see how tough he is, but he keeps putting himself in the hole first of BEING down before sparking to the ready, and often its too late.

he's only 23. he is not really that far off rising to his best potential. a small adjustment in attitude could put him on fire and rally him back into the top 3 like last year. If he can love to win as he fights not to lose...and he used to, its not like he isnt aware how to think that way...he will make it.

i only pray pray PRAY that his shoulder surgery is not going to riddle his career with more nerve problems in his hand etc as we have seen so far, or further shoulder problems. If it means playing much less often and doing more therapeutic things for weeks between events, I hope he and his team have the sense to see that it happens.

Chloe le Bopper
09-09-2005, 08:59 PM

Indeed.

Although that is actually why I come... to laugh at the stupid. And there is an awful lot of it.

Coria fakes injuries and has pretent surgery as a coverup.
Djokovic fakes breathing problems and retires from a grandslam as a coverup.
Hewitt ate my baby.
Roddick ate my baby's baby.

The stupidity is endless.

Chloe le Bopper
09-09-2005, 09:01 PM
daze - I believe that Coria is scrappy, but I don't believe he's a mental rock. I used to, but not for quite some time ;)

daze11
09-09-2005, 09:45 PM
daze - I believe that Coria is scrappy, but I don't believe he's a mental rock. I used to, but not for quite some time ;)no, not since june 6, 2004. ;) but people do recover. agassi was not a rock to say the least for a long time, but like him, coria is one of those greats and will rise to the best parts of his mind, i believe, to achieve his best results in the future.