Nadal won't go to South america next year [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal won't go to South america next year

Galaxystorm
09-08-2005, 09:16 AM
Next year Nadal won't play the south american clay tour ( Buenos Aires, Sauipe, Mexico ( Mexico isn't south america, i know )) . He has deciced to stay in Europe playing indoor tournaments because he knows he has still a lot of things to improve on fast courts , to improve his volley, his aggressiveness , since in the future he doesn't want to be only a claycourter
.. .

In fact two years ago he stayed in Europe, and this year he only went to South America because he needed " easy " points to be a direct acceptance in clay masters series, that is in his first years as pro south american clay tour isn't in his theoric schedule of tournaments because he can play very well on clay but on the other hand as his coach has alway said : " He has still to learn to play on indoor courts " , then clay tour this year in south america was only an exception .

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 09:20 AM
He's a big star now and they can give higher appearance fees at the European tournaments than they can in South America. Sure it's disappointing for the people in Argentina, Brazil and Mexico that they won't see him play and that he won't have as much as fun, but this will be good for his development.

Chloe le Bopper
09-08-2005, 09:29 AM
Maybe Coria can win a title again now :bigclap:

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 09:31 AM
Maybe Coria can win a title again now :bigclap:

Coria won Umag this year and he's not playing the S.Am events next year either.

its.like.that
09-08-2005, 09:34 AM

Gaston and Fena will share the spoils.

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 09:36 AM
Gaston and Fena will share the spoils.

Hopefully, though I don't think he'll play in Viña again.

Galaxystorm
09-08-2005, 09:42 AM
He's a big star now and they can give higher appearance fees at the European tournaments than they can in South America. Sure it's disappointing for the people in Argentina, Brazil and Mexico that they won't see him play and that he won't have as much as fun, but this will be good for his development.

This change of schedule isn't a matter of money or fees, its' only a tennistic reason, although it's true that european tournaments pay better fees than in South America.

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 09:43 AM
This change of schedule isn't a matter of money or fees, its' only a tennistic reason, although it's true that european tournaments pay better fees than in South America.

Well he plays in Bċstad and that doesn't pay appearance money, but the combo of that and playing in the bigger tournaments to help his development make sense.

Xavidbz
09-08-2005, 09:54 AM
I think it will be bad for his ranking but good for his game. He has to improve in indoor courts.

Galaxystorm
09-08-2005, 10:01 AM
I think it will be bad for his ranking but good for his game. He has to improve in indoor courts.

He knows that making this schedule he will win less tournaments next year, but his main objective nowadays is to improve his fast courts playstyle.

jtipson
09-08-2005, 10:29 AM

I don't think it will affect his ranking much at all. He has a big lead over the rest, and if he picks up any points in the rest of the year or the AO, they won't catch him.

Eruwen
09-08-2005, 10:31 AM
Oooooh that's good news! Well, for me it is :lol: Maybe he'll come to Rotterdam then! :banana:

Carlita
09-08-2005, 10:54 AM
:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Rafa darling, could you bring Carlos and Fernando with you then???? :angel:

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 11:04 AM
Rafa darling, could you bring Carlos and Fernando with you then???? :angel:

No chance Carlos loves Buenos Aires and Acapulco too much.

Carlita
09-08-2005, 11:11 AM
I know!! Last time he played in Rotterdam was in 1996..hasn't been back since.....so 10 years on would be a wonderful time to honour us with a new visit :angel:

Eruwen
09-08-2005, 11:26 AM
I know!! Last time he played in Rotterdam was in 1996..hasn't been back since.....so 10 years on would be a wonderful time to honour us with a new visit :angel:I agree! :lol:

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 11:33 AM
I know!! Last time he played in Rotterdam was in 1996..hasn't been back since.....so 10 years on would be a wonderful time to honour us with a new visit :angel:

Buenos Aires or Rotterdam I know which one I would prefer and Carlos thinks the same way, it would take at least a million Euro appearance money for him to change his mind.

Verdasco heĉd rather be playing outside of that time of year and I don't blame him. :)

Carlita
09-08-2005, 11:37 AM
Buenos Aires or Rotterdam I know which one I would prefer and Carlos thinks the same way, it would take at least a million Euro appearance money for him to change his mind.

Verdasco heĉd rather be playing outside of that time of year and I don't blame him. :)I prefer outside too...and DUH of course Carlos won't come to Rotterdam! :p And my Fernando should play in BA too! He surprised me to be in Rotterdam this year.

Still I can have some hope to see them here ??? Thanks! :p

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 11:39 AM
I prefer outside too...and DUH of course Carlos won't come to Rotterdam! :p And my Fernando should play in BA too! He surprised me to be in Rotterdam this year.

Still I can have some hope to see them here ??? Thanks! :p

It's a fine and prestigious tournament without a doubt that Rotterdam is, one of the best indoor events that is well run, well dreams are free.

bavaria100
09-08-2005, 12:36 PM
IMO, this is the right thing. He really needs to improve his fastcourt game, but I think his results during the indoor season are worse than his results during the american hardcourt tourneys. I think his indoor record has to be around 3-14 or something like that. He really needs to improve that.

Jimnik
09-08-2005, 01:08 PM
Very good decision from Rafa.:yeah:

I also think a few players should do the reverse.
It will never happen but I would really like to see Roddick go to South America. I think it could really help his game.
Also Hewitt should try to improve his clay court game if he wants to take that extra step at Roland Garros. He's been to the QF a few times, now he should try to reach the semis.
Federer should forget about defending his Rotterdam and Dubai ranking points and really focus on imroving his clay court game. I don't think he'll beat Nadal at Roland Garros after playing only 2 clay tournaments like he did this year. He ought to prepare earlier and try to get a headstart.

Off course none of this will happen. Andy will stay in America, Lleyton will probably take his usual break after the Aus Open and Roger is too keen on Europe and defending his 2 titles.

TheMightyFed
09-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Very good decision from Rafa.:yeah:

IFederer should forget about defending his Rotterdam and Dubai ranking points and really focus on imroving his clay court game. I don't think he'll beat Nadal at Roland Garros after playing only 2 clay tournaments like he did this year. He ought to prepare earlier and try to get a headstart.
Yeah agree, it's too bad he doesn't challenge himself to prepare for RG. But his points are too precious for his number 1 ranking and I don't think he would get as many points... Maybe one year, because he will be pissed off when Rome, Monte-Carlo and Roland Garros will still miss in his resume...

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Yeah agree, it's too bad he doesn't challenge himself to prepare for RG. But his points are too precious for his number 1 ranking and I don't think he would get as many points... Maybe one year, because he will be pissed off when Rome, Monte-Carlo and Roland Garros will still miss in his resume...

This thread is about Nadal and not about Federer, at the same time Federer doesn't care about RG enough.

TheMightyFed
09-08-2005, 01:37 PM
This thread is about Nadal and not about Federer, at the same time Federer doesn't care about RG enough.
Thanks Hitler to do the police on this board, without you we're getting lost ;)

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 01:41 PM
Thanks Hitler to do the police on this board, without you we're getting lost ;)

Haven't you got enough Federer threads to drool over? Then again what's your actual view on the thread question. You know Nadal not playing on clay in South America and playing these indoor events?

TheMightyFed
09-08-2005, 01:48 PM
Haven't you got enough Federer threads to drool over? Then again what's your actual view on the thread question. You know Nadal not playing on clay in South America and playing these indoor events?
It's courageous from Nadal, but it's like Coria IMO, these guys will try whatever it takes to play well on fast surfaces, building grass court in Manacor and skipping the S-A season, but ultimately they will lose in semis or final in GS... their game is just too different, and apart from Borg, I don't know anyone who could really adapt from high topspin game to decent volley or powerfull line chasing return game in the same season. Lendl was close but didn't do it... Nadal is still young and has a shot on hard court like AO, but his movement is too specific to adapt I think.

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 01:52 PM
It's courageous from Nadal, but it's like Coria IMO, these guys will try whatever it takes to play well on fast surfaces, building grass court in Manacor and skipping the S-A season, but ultimately they will lose in semis or final in GS... their game is just too different, and apart from Borg, I don't know anyone who could really adapt from high topspin game to decent volley or powerfull line chasing return game in the same season. Lendl was close but didn't do it... Nadal is still young and has a shot on hard court like AO, but his movement is too specific to adapt I think.

Coria doesn't have a high topspin game, just cause Nadal and Coria are better on clay doesn't mean they have the same game. Lendl did it and Wilander did it, it's easier to go from a slower to a faster surface.

Castafiore
09-08-2005, 01:58 PM
just cause Nadal and Coria are better on clay doesn't mean they have the same game.
:yeah:
Excellent point, George!

TheMightyFed
09-08-2005, 02:22 PM
Coria doesn't have a high topspin game, just cause
Not exactly the same, but quite similar, sorry...

1sun
09-08-2005, 02:28 PM
top man, i respect that. the funny thing is federer is likely to go to south america, but he'll want nadal to be there as well.

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 02:29 PM
top man, i respect that. the funny thing is federer is likely to go to south america, but he'll want nadal to be there as well.

Federer won't go to South America.

1sun
09-08-2005, 02:32 PM
yes he does, he said after rg this year that its his main goal from now on. he even said he may change his whole schedule so he can play more clay tournies and miss hard ones.
dont talk about things you dont know about.

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 02:36 PM
yes he does, he said after rg this year that its his main goal from now on. he even said he may change his whole schedule so he can play more clay tournies and miss hard ones.
dont talk about things you dont know about.

Words are empty without action and once again you have shown yourself to be the bright one. No shit, he said that and until he plays a tournament there, then I am not going to believe it.

What he is going to play IS events in South America, without taking a guarantee that's funny, these events are getting better, but they don't go around handing out fees and what Federer is going to play for free.

A difference between may and will, this being the case until he plays in South America, he isn't playing there.

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 02:37 PM
Not exactly the same, but quite similar, sorry...

It's the same as saying Hewitt and Roddick are the same because they both excell on hardcourts.

At the same time it's the right thing for Nadal to do this, he knows he has to get better on these surfaces and this is the best way forward for him to do so.

1sun
09-08-2005, 02:43 PM
Words are empty without action and once again you have shown yourself to be the bright one. No shit, he said that and until he plays a tournament there, then I am not going to believe it.

What he is going to play IS events in South America, without taking a guarantee that's funny, these events are getting better, but they don't go around handing out fees and what Federer is going to play for free.

A difference between may and will, this being the case until he plays in South America, he isn't playing there.
so you dont believe nadal is going to play in europe then

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 02:48 PM
so you dont believe nadal is going to play in europe then

Nadal will play in Europe and galaxystorm isn't someone who posts crap, so the source is reliable and come January it will be revealed soon enough.

The reasons are clear as to why Nadal will play those big events in Europe, and there is more a financial incentive to do so as well, which is not the case for the #1 player in the world, playing in South America which doesn't make sense, he has enough tournaments in Europe to prepare for RG.

TheMightyFed
09-08-2005, 02:51 PM
It's the same as saying Hewitt and Roddick are the same because they both excell on hardcourts.

You're too smart Hitler, finding silly quotes an letting people think that someone else said or thought it... no need to mention that I would never say that Roddick and Hewitt has the same game.
To come back to Coria and Nadal (as you like to stick to the thread topic), I took 5 hours of my time to watch their final in Rome and in 5 hours you've got enough time to compare both players. Who can say they don't rely on foot speed, topspin forehand, dropshots here and there, and baseline game control, with great defense abilities ? Then there might be some differences, especially on the technical side, but you'll have hard time to prove me that one of them is famous for his serve or return...

1sun
09-08-2005, 02:53 PM
Nadal will play in Europe and galaxystorm isn't someone who posts crap, so the source is reliable and come January it will be revealed soon enough.

The reasons are clear as to why Nadal will play those big events in Europe, and there is more a financial incentive to do so as well, which is not the case for the #1 player in the world, playing in South America which doesn't make sense, he has enough tournaments in Europe to prepare for RG.
'Words are empty without action and once again you have shown you are the bright one'
your full of bullshit, think it over mate

Castafiore
09-08-2005, 02:57 PM
Is it at all possible in here to talk about Nadal without it ending in some sort of fight and without insults?

Dammit...this thread started so positively :sad:

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 02:58 PM
You're too smart Hitler, finding silly quotes an letting people think that someone else said or thought it... no need to mention that I would never say that Roddick and Hewitt has the same game.
To come back to Coria and Nadal (as you like to stick to the thread topic), I took 5 hours of my time to watch their final in Rome and in 5 hours you've got enough time to compare both players. Who can say they don't rely on foot speed, topspin forehand, dropshots here and there, and baseline game control, with great defense abilities ? Then there might be some differences, especially on the technical side, but you'll have hard time to prove me that one of them is famous for his serve or return...

I am not too smart at it all. It's very simple to say just cause 2 players play well on the same surface that they have same game isn' t true. The technical issues are just as important and shouldn't be looked over just because you can't put them in a category.

Since you want to play the category game Nadal has more similarities with Muster than he could ever dream of with Coria. There are differences if not then they would be clones.

TheMightyFed
09-08-2005, 02:58 PM
Is it at all possible in here to talk about Nadal without it ending in some sort of fight and without insults?

Dammit...this thread started so positively :sad:
And we didn't even bring the shirt topic to the table...

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 02:59 PM
'Words are empty without action and once again you have shown you are the bright one'
your full of bullshit, think it over mate

You think it over. If the great man plays in South America, that will great for the local people and to be proven wrong and he won't.

TheMightyFed
09-08-2005, 03:00 PM
There are differences if not then they would be clones.
Maybe they are... but fortunately Coria lost the cheese-digging habit in the process

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 03:02 PM
Maybe they are... but fortunately Coria lost the cheese-digging habit in the process

Good point, one digs cheese and wins and the other has a beautiful wife, but lacking a big title his talent deserves.

wcr
09-08-2005, 03:22 PM
Next year Nadal won't play the south american clay tour ( Buenos Aires, Sauipe, Mexico ( Mexico isn't south america, i know )) . He has deciced to stay in Europe playing indoor tournaments because he knows he has still a lot of things to improve on fast courts , to improve his volley, his aggressiveness , since in the future he doesn't want to be only a claycourter

What indoor tournaments can he play between AO and Miami that will help him improve his fast court game? Maybe he should plan to play IW along with all the other big guns. It wasn't until he played IvanL in Miami that he had his 3rd professional match against someone ranked in the top 10 in 2005. He should show up at IW. He was there in 2004.

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 03:24 PM
What indoor tournaments can he play between AO and Miami that will help him improve his fast court game? Maybe he should plan to play IW along with all the other big guns. It wasn't until he played IvanL in Miami that he had his 3rd professional match against someone ranked in the top 10 in 2005. He should show up at IW. He was there in 2004.

Milan, Marseille, Rotterdam and as for IW, his decision this year made perfect sense. He won 2 titles in a row, had a break, then made the final of Miami.

wcr
09-08-2005, 03:30 PM
Milan, Marseille, Rotterdam and as for IW, his decision this year made perfect sense. He won 2 titles in a row, had a break, then made the final of Miami.

Carpet's not hard court. It's fast but it's not the same thing. Rotterdam makes sense. As for Marseille and Milan over IW? He reached the final in Miami having only to compete against one guy in the top 10. Same kind of run in Montreal. I'd like to see him get more hardcourt pratice in events where he's likely to compete against higher ranked players.

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 03:32 PM
Carpet's not hard court. It's fast but it's not the same thing. Rotterdam makes sense. As for Marseille and Milan over IW? He reached the final in Miami having only to compete against one guy in the top 10. Same kind of run in Montreal. I'd like to see him get more hardcourt pratice in events where he's likely to compete against higher ranked players.

Milan and Marseille are before Rotterdam for a start, he could play these, then go to Dubai he'd get a good field there, then off to IW. You have to look at the calendar first, this year they didn't expect him to do so well.

He beat who he had to beat in Miami and Montreal and no these were not clay events. :)

ys
09-08-2005, 04:12 PM
Next year Nadal won't play the south american clay tour ( Buenos Aires, Sauipe, Mexico ( Mexico isn't south america, i know )) . He has deciced to stay in Europe playing indoor tournaments because he knows he has still a lot of things to improve on fast courts , to improve his volley, his aggressiveness , since in the future he doesn't want to be only a claycourter .

You know, I can see that what happened to Muster can just happen to him too.. He can improve on fastcourts just like Muster did and even win something like Miami, but , then, just like in Muster's case, he might lose his clay invinicbility. I still think that if he somehow wins a hardcourt Slam, it will make him a greater player than winning 2-3 more RGs..

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 04:14 PM
You know, I can see that what happened to Muster can just happen to him too.. He can improve on fastcourts just like Muster did and even win something like Miami, but , then, just like in Muster's case, he might lose his clay invinicbility. I still think that if he somehow wins a hardcourt Slam, it will make him a greater player than winning 2-3 more RGs..

:worship: :worship: :worship:

propi
09-08-2005, 04:48 PM
He played South American tournies this year to get a nice seeding for RG and clay season, he did the right thing and of course he'll do the right thing again this year. He's a master on clay and "only" good on fast surfaces, time to improve his skills there :)

Galaxystorm
09-08-2005, 04:53 PM
Now, i was analysing 2006 calendar, and i'm quite sure he won't play in Milan because after Aus open he will want to rest and to prepare Davis cup tie.
His presence in Marseille will depend on Davis cup fatigue . But Rotterdam and Dubai will be surely in his schedule.

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 04:55 PM
Now, i was analysing 2006 calendar, and i'm quite sure he won't play in Milan because after Aus open he will want to rest and to prepare Davis cup tie.
His presence in Marseille will depend on Davis cup fatigue . But Rotterdam and Dubai will be surely in his schedule.

Rotterdam and Dubai are big enough events and he'll be welcomed there for sure.

delsa
09-08-2005, 04:56 PM
It will help him improve so that's a good decision. ;)

revolution
09-08-2005, 04:59 PM
Good decision, as he has proved himself on clay, and all in a year (well apart from not winning Hamburg yet), so of course he's going to go for it on the faster surfaces, as he's a very committed player. Coria too had a good HC season and he chose the European indoor/Dubai season, and has benefited.

silverwhite
09-08-2005, 05:16 PM
Good for him. He seems to have a solid team behind him.

Carito_90
09-08-2005, 05:18 PM
Sigh, unfortunately it was to be expected.

Chloe le Bopper
09-08-2005, 08:44 PM
:(

He hardly played this year either. I think I defended him for it too :p

shaoyu
09-08-2005, 10:36 PM

Yeah but that's a risky proposition, as he could end up only do better but not winning hard court slams, yet still lose his crowns at RG.

amierin
09-08-2005, 11:47 PM
Hi guys. Just found this thread and read through it. Has this been announced or is this speculation? You guys seem pretty sure this is true.

megadeth
09-09-2005, 12:13 AM
good move for nadal. you have to make certain sacrifices to improve.

maybe on the other hand, fed should go to south america instead of rotterdam and dubai to get more clay experience

Scotso
09-09-2005, 05:28 AM
I doubt it will hurt his ranking that much, considering how many events he has won this year.

I wish he would still play in Mexico, but oh well. Hopefully he'll make sure to play Indian Wells next year.

Dirk
09-09-2005, 05:42 AM
PERFECT MORE MONEY FOR NINJA NOW!!!!!!!!!! GO TO SOUTH AMERICA NOW ROGER.

Chloe le Bopper
09-09-2005, 05:46 AM
PERFECT MORE MONEY FOR NINJA NOW!!!!!!!!!! GO TO SOUTH AMERICA NOW ROGER.
You would make a great Federer troll. More posts like this, please. Caps lock is your friend!

You be a Fed troll and I will be a Djokovic fan girl. It will be great.

Dirk
09-09-2005, 05:48 AM
You would make a great Federer troll. More posts like this, please. Caps lock is your friend!

You be a Fed troll and I will be a Djokovic fan girl. It will be great.

It's late and I don't want to type too much. I would just love for Roger to do the south american swing just once. I don't date Fumus leftovers but thanks for the offer. ;)

Chloe le Bopper
09-09-2005, 05:48 AM
Fumus leftovers? ZING!

I wasn't asking you out, Dirk! I was just thinking that we could be fellow trolls!

Sheesh.

Dirk
09-09-2005, 05:51 AM
Fumus leftovers? ZING!

I wasn't asking you out, Dirk! I was just thinking that we could be fellow trolls!

Sheesh.

I was just screwing with you. :lol: Calm down. I wouldn't make a good troll besides Hitchhiker is the Federer of trolls so why do you want little inexperienced me? ;)

Chloe le Bopper
09-09-2005, 06:24 AM
I was just screwing with you. :lol: Calm down. I wouldn't make a good troll besides Hitchhiker is the Federer of trolls so why do you want little inexperienced me? ;)
I was just messing back with you.

Hitchhiker is hawt.

hosky
09-09-2005, 02:20 PM
waiting to see a new star instead of federer

Deivid23
09-10-2005, 02:22 PM
Once smart, always smart

curlgirl3
09-10-2005, 05:40 PM
yessssssssss he might come to rotterdam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!