AGASSI defeats BLAKE in an epic: 3-6, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3, 7-6 (6) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

AGASSI defeats BLAKE in an epic: 3-6, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3, 7-6 (6)

NYCtennisfan
09-08-2005, 05:08 AM
Blake was up a break in the 3rd and playing beautiful tennis. He was controlling points with both his FH and BH amazingingly enough since his BH has been weak in the past. He made a few mistakes and then Agassi started playing really well. James weathered the storm, got his 1st serv % back up and served for the match at 5-4 in the fifth only to be broken at 15.

AGassi fell behind early in the TB, had a MP, James saved it and then Agassi won it at 6.

Some really great ball striking in this one. The crowd was a bit ambivalent at first but when Andre got behind, they were solidly in his corner. What a great run by James into the SF. All credit to the old man for such a comeback. Into the semis at the age of 35.

Björki
09-08-2005, 05:08 AM
:woohoo: contrats to Andre :bigclap:
poor James :(

NYCtennisfan
09-08-2005, 05:11 AM
What a match.. Unbelieveable stuff.

Fergie
Poor James! :sad:

jole
Haha, amazing they have that dolt Tracy Wolfson down there at such an important moment.

BAMJ6
Bow to Blake. You have to give him credit.

ANDRE TAKE SUPER SATURDAY BY STORM

El Legenda
09-08-2005, 05:12 AM
Great match, Blake wins the choker of the day from Coria.

tennischick
mi amor. te amo tanto. congrats to the original Bald-Master :kiss: :banana:

http://boitagifs.free.fr/images/personnages/dance5.gif http://boitagifs.free.fr/images/personnages/dance5.gif

alelysafina
Poor James!!!

But good luck to Andre in the next round!!!!

mangoes
YYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY Andre!!!

rogerfan4eva
I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. This is one of the best matches I've seen so far this year. Incredible stuff. Congrats to Andre and I'm really, really proud of James for doing so well after everything he's been through.

rofe
09-08-2005, 05:13 AM
I am happy that Agassi pulled through. Unfortunately, he may not have enough in the tank to win against Ginepri. He has to wrap it up in 3 or Ginepri is through to the finals (not something I want).

Roger The Great
09-08-2005, 05:13 AM
Amazing, amazing, amazing match. :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Dirk
09-08-2005, 05:14 AM
Rofe he has 2 days off. He should be able to put up some fight. Robby might have the edge though.

slipmaskin
Yeah no, Agassi is going to cruise to the final.

NYCtennisfan
Really good hitting from both. Who will have more gas for the SF's, Ginepri who has played 3 5 setters or the old master who comes off of this 5 setter?

oneandonlyhsn
Unreal James :( He seemed to lose mometum in the third set, I had a feeling he wouldnt be able to keep up his level of play that high. Still great performance at the Open

Andre :rocker: what a comeback at 35 :eek: I hope he still has enough in the tank he still has 2 matches to go

djul
ANDRE :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

rofe
Great match, Blake wins the choker of the day from Coria.

The moment was just too much for him. I hope he can learn from this and keep his cool in key moments.

Flibbertigibbet
09-08-2005, 05:15 AM
Tragic for the Blake fans. This should have been - at the very least - a semi-final.

SwissMister1
I think Aaron Krickstein is off the hook now - this will be the new match to get through every rain delay at the US Open from now on.

willie
OMG OMG OMG:eek::eek::eek:
im not an andre fan, nor a blake, but:clap2::clap2::clap2:
agassi:worship:
blake:worship:

NYCtennisfan
Unreal James He seemed to lose mometum in the third set, I had a feeling he wouldnt be able to keep up his level of play that high. Still great performance at the Open

I know what you mean. The FH's were crazy and even his usually weaker BH was being ripped everywhere. Just a couple of mistakes, a few going points by Andre and the old man got his groove back.

Tennis Fool
09-08-2005, 05:16 AM
Only thing keeping this from becoming a classic is Blake not winning. (Agassi's got 123456789 other matches to be called his own).

Anyone pick up that PMac was not thrilled with the American who won?

oneandonlyhsn
Really good hitting from both. Who will have more gas for the SF's, Ginepri who has played 3 5 setters or the old master who comes off of this 5 setter?

Yeah but Andre has played 2 back to back 5 setters as well, so migh tbe interesting :D

NYCtennisfan
I think Aaron Krickstein is off the hook now - this will be the new match to get through every rain delay at the US Open from now on.

:). They still have Andre/Sampras QF of 2001 though. :)

Tennis Fool
09-08-2005, 05:17 AM
Blake is officially Andre's pigeon :sad:

mishar
Agassi will beat Ginepri I think -- Ginepri doesn't have the firepower that James down. Ginepri plays an Agassi-like game only not as well.

As a Blake fan, I am sorry for his squandered opportunities and his chokey games, but I am happy he played so well for the first two sets and then came back to play so well in the fifth. I've never expected this much from him and I've never seen him play as well as he did at this tournament. Hopefully he can keep it up in future tournaments. He'll beat a lot of players playing this way.

tennischick
Only thing keeping this from becoming a classic is Blake not winning. (Agassi's got 123456789 other matches to be called his own).

heh heh :devil:

NYCtennisfan
Yeah but Andre has played 2 back to back 5 setters as well, so migh tbe interesting

Yeah. I really can't see Ginepri beating Agassi though but then again, I woudln't of thought he would be in the SF of the USO either.

Tennis Fool
09-08-2005, 05:18 AM
:). They still have Andre/Sampras QF of 2001 though. :)
No, because the underdog (Blake) didn't win.

They'll stick with Krickstein :)

slipmaskin
09-08-2005, 05:18 AM
Yeah, there were a lot of lost opportunities in this one.... I'm not even a full-fledged Blake-fan, so I can only imagine how the true devotees are feeling right now.

NYCtennisfan
09-08-2005, 05:19 AM

Really? Why do you say that? I didn't get a chance to hear him since I am still on the West coast for one more day. It was carried until the end by USA nad JMAC was solidly in the Agassi corner.

mishar
09-08-2005, 05:19 AM

I'm not sure... he gets to slobber on about the Agassi legend..

and also Blake will be a little fresher for the Davis Cup tie.

So PMac might be happier with this outcome.

Even if Ginepri has gone further in this tournament, I can't imagine he'll play Ginepri in Belgium with his absymal record on clay.

Neely
09-08-2005, 05:20 AM
!!!!! U-N-B-E-L-I-E-V-A-B-L-E !!!!! :eek:

Simply out of this world.

What a tennis match!!!!!!! :banana:

Unbelievable shotmaking from both; such matches can only happen on hardcourt in a night session where the crowd was on their feet during the last sets! A true epic between two great players who threw everything in!

NYCtennisfan
No, because the underdog (Blake) didn't win.

They'll stick with Krickstein

I hope not because to be honest, the quality of tennis in that match was not that good. The atmosphere made up for it but this match was so well played it would be a joy to watch again. I hope someone puts up a torrent of this one.

mangoes
Ginepri will be a lot easier than Blake...................... Coria had Ginepri, then.................... :shout: So I think Agassi can beat Ginepri.

Jeff
All I can say is that I feel for James Blake. He really did play the match of his life. But Andre--simplay AMAZING!!! :D :D :D

Go ANDRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yeah: :yeah:

knight_ley
:worship: Amazing match from both of them :worship:

NYCtennisfan
09-08-2005, 05:21 AM
Unbelievable shotmaking from both; such matches can only happen on hardcourt!

This is very true and that is why, among other reasons, the USO is my favorite slam. :)

LaTenista
09-08-2005, 05:21 AM
Anyone else think this had a hint of the Federer-Nadal Miami final? Like as soon as Andre won the 3rd set I thought he was going to win the match and he did.

:sad: James but he's had such a great run between New Haven and Flushing Meadows, into the Top 30 now I believe. :yeah:

:woohoo: Andre, the eternal one. He is truly Yoda the jedi master now. Can he control and force to somehow break Federer's dominance into finals to claim his 9th GS title?

What an amazing USO this has turned to be.

Gigan
09-08-2005, 05:22 AM
Congratulations, Andre!!!

I♥PsY@Mus!c
Well done Andre! :rocker2::bigclap::woohoo:

TenHound
Hard loss for Blake, but he has so many more ahead of him. So much has happened so fast for him. Hell, doesn't even have a racquet contract yet!!

Rest of the tournament has to have some astonishing matches to not be an anti-climax!! At least AA has 21/2 day to rest. It's the Sat-Sun. situation that's the Real Problem. He's so much better than Ginepri, that I'm not too worried about that.

Welcome James to Big Time Tennis. Get ready for Sydney.

mishar
09-08-2005, 05:23 AM
I just hope James can keep playing like that. He was a totally different player in the last few weeks than he used to be. His serve, his backhand, especially. He's always had the movement and the forehand.

NYCtennisfan
09-08-2005, 05:23 AM
Anyone else think this had a hint of the Federer-Nadal Miami final? Like as soon as Andre won the 3rd set I thought he was going to win the match and he did.

James but he's had such a great run between New Haven and Flushing Meadows, into the Top 30 now I believe.

Somewhat but the match was much better played than that one. Federe made 60 UE's in the first 3 sets in that one which threw everything off. Plus, the 4th set and 5th sets were not a contest in that one.

But you are right. Id di think AA would roll but James came back in that 5th set and was so very close.

NYCtennisfan
09-08-2005, 05:24 AM
I just hope James can keep playing like that. He was a totally different player in the last few weeks than he used to be. His serve, his backhand, especially. He's always had the movement and the forehand.

Indeed.

LLeytonRules
09-08-2005, 05:26 AM
Amazing match, Agassi showed why he might just be the best returner in the game, great stuff!

LLeytonRules
09-08-2005, 05:28 AM
I knew Blake was dead going into that 5th set, he probably thought, what the hell, a 5th set, Agassi had all the momemtum, although i give credit to Blake for putting up a fight in the 5th set.

Tennis Fool
09-08-2005, 05:28 AM

Even if Ginepri has gone further in this tournament, I can't imagine he'll play Ginepri in Belgium with his absymal record on clay.
Guys don't mistake slathering on about Champions for enthusiasm ;) His pitch was higher and voice faster whenever Blake had the lead. You think he wouldn't be hyping one of his DC boys over Agassi???

BTW, for the other poster, I say the same about JMac. I get that he respects him, but doesn't particularly like him...

TenHound
09-08-2005, 05:29 AM
AA live on sportscenter now

Sparko1030
WOW!!! What a match!!! I was hoping for Blake to win but happy for Agassi too. Kudos to both!

As to the commentators...Is there anything poor Pat Mac does better than his brother???? John is a much better commentator-much more interesting, funny, and I think more fair.

NYCtennisfan
I knew Blake was dead going into that 5th set, he probably thought, what the hell, a 5th set, Agassi had all the momemtum, although i give credit to Blake for putting up a fight in the 5th set.

He put up a lot of fight and was serving for the match. I knew he had to win the first few points or he was going to lose that service game.

dlandy1234
09-08-2005, 05:30 AM
Absolutely INCREDIBLE match...

James :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: You had it in the bag, just couldnt finish it off. I'm proud of you though, youve been unbelievable.

Andre... what can you say, the guy is unbelievable. Congrats, now go for the title!!!! :worship:

mishar
Yes if blake had folded in the fifth set I would have been much more disappointed. But he fought back from the letdown of the 3rd and 4 th and put up a great fight and he gave himself real chances to win. I'm proud of him.

tennischick

you're wrong. Ginepri, Blake, and Roddick have been selected to the team. i just started a thread on this.

Tennis Fool
I hope not because to be honest, the quality of tennis in that match was not that good. The atmosphere made up for it but this match was so well played it would be a joy to watch again. I hope someone puts up a torrent of this one.
I thougth the quality was great (in the sets they showed on CBS). Both were hitting winners from everywhere. It wasn't an error fest. It looks like a classic but isn't because James didn't close it out against a great Champion.

superpinkone37
09-08-2005, 05:32 AM
um, WOW. :worship: What an unbelievable match, from both James and Andre.

I love both of these guys but I was definitely pulling for James the entire match. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time and I'm glad that if Andre had to win, it was such a close, high quality match. I'm sad for James, but when you think about how far he has come in these past few months, this result is so wonderful for him. And seeing Andre's reaction at the end, you can't help but smile for him. :) But I still love James more :p

Neely
09-08-2005, 05:33 AM
The tiebreak was decided by a few inches. Blake hit his shot at 5-5 to 6-5 Agassi just out, a few shots later Agassi hit exactly into the corner, touching both lines on his match point winner. Just incredible how intense this match was. And what a great crowd, this atmosphere!!!!! :eek:

NYCtennisfan
09-08-2005, 05:33 AM
I thougth the quality was great (in the sets they showed on CBS). Both were hitting winners from everywhere. It wasn't an error fest. It looks like a classic but isn't because James didn't close it out against a great Champion.

There were some good shots in that Connors/Krickstein match but the tennis was between a weak hitter and a really old man. It's hard to watch in the present day because you can see women hitting the ball as hard if not harder.

NYCtennisfan
09-08-2005, 05:34 AM
The tiebreak was decided by a few inches. Blake hit his shot at 5-5 to 6-5 Agassi just out, a few shots later Agassi hit exactly into the corner, touching both lines on his match point winner. Just incredible how intense this match was. And what a great crowd, this atmosphere!!!!!

It's going to be hard for any match to live up to this one. The ony possible match that could come close is if somehow the old man beats Federer in the final. That's the only way.

mishar
09-08-2005, 05:34 AM
you're wrong. Ginepri, Blake, and Roddick have been selected to the team. i just started a thread on this.

Bryan Bros,Roddick and one other. Both RG & JB agreed to go to Belgium. He says he's going to decide based on how they play in practice. But I think based on Ginepri's clay record it would be a little crazy to pick him.

Ays25
09-08-2005, 05:35 AM
andre showed today, why he is a legend.
he is the most amazing player of last 20 years along with sampras and becker!
no one would win this match from 0-2 down and 4-2 down in the final set. not even the most overrated champ of all times mr fedex!
ANDRE WIN THIS TOURNEY!!!!

peteslamz
09-08-2005, 05:36 AM
I already thought that Blake would already win the match when he was serving for the match but then Andre broke back again. The match was awesome! Andre seems to be just only 20+ years old! :)

TenHound
09-08-2005, 05:36 AM
live AA interview switched to espnews - #402 on Comcast

NYCtennisfan
09-08-2005, 05:38 AM
not even the most overrated champ of all times mr fedex!

Why would you be thinking of him right now? A little obsessed are we?

Merton
09-08-2005, 05:39 AM
That was a great battle, i am sad that james could not finish with a win but i am pround for his efforts. This had nothing to do with a choke, AA raised his level at the 3rd set and James hit 1st serves serving for the match at 5-4 in the 5th. Still, the old man came up with some amazing returns. James raised his level significantly in this Open, he always had the athleticism and the explosive shot making but he showed also strategic thinking in shot making and good defense.

I am very disappointed that the match had to end with a tie break in the 5th set, (yes, i would say the same if James won) it would be much better to continue as they do in the other slams.

Ays25
09-08-2005, 05:41 AM
Why would you be thinking of him right now? A little obsessed are we?

i just dont like him, and not even compare him with the legend "andre"

and dont u agree with me on the fact that only vintage andre would be able to win this match ?

TenHound
09-08-2005, 05:42 AM
James didn't choke, but twice he did count his chickens a bit too soon & paid dearly for it. But this was a great experience for him. He's almost there. There are worse things than not losing to your idol!!

AgassiFan
09-08-2005, 05:42 AM
No sweat. Agassi had this match in the pocket before it began. Boring to watch.

mishar
09-08-2005, 05:43 AM
I was really afraid that James would beat Agassi and lose to Robby. That would have been disappointing.

Roger The Great
09-08-2005, 05:44 AM
It looks like a classic but isn't because James didn't close it out against a great Champion.

The 35 year old fan favorite came back from two sets down in front of an electric crowd. Not to mention with amazing tennis. This match IS a classic.

LLeytonRules
09-08-2005, 05:45 AM
Blake will be kicking himself for years to come, he should have put away Andre in that 3rd set but gave him life, if that was Federer or Hewitt, its over!

disturb3d
09-08-2005, 05:46 AM

and dont u agree with me on the fact that only vintage andre would be able to win this match ?Anyone could win it. But if I had to put my money on someone, it would be Andre.
When the points really matter, he plays a class above the rest.

jmp
09-08-2005, 05:46 AM
I'm in awe of Andre's come back in this match. But, I'm really sad for James. So so close. This match was unbelieveable! Thank you James and Andre.

Ays25
09-08-2005, 05:48 AM
andre agassi > roger federer

see you sunday.

Golfnduck
09-08-2005, 05:50 AM
Great match by both players. Andre and James are two of my favorite players. I really wanted James to win, but I'd like to see Andre win another USO.

Skyward
09-08-2005, 05:53 AM

Is it really necessary to http://sk8ting.fastbb.ru/gif/sm/sm241.gif in this thread?

slipmaskin
09-08-2005, 05:56 AM
andre agassi > roger federer

see you sunday.

Do you mean to tell me that it's Agassi that has beaten Federer for seven straight times? Man, I feel so deceived!

Ays25
09-08-2005, 06:04 AM
Do you mean to tell me that it's Agassi that has beaten Federer for seven straight times? Man, I feel so deceived!

remember last year andre was not on form and nearly beat federer in the quarters, had a break point in the start of 5th.
now he is on form and if federer plays like this andre can win the title and maybe retire like sampras!

MissMoJo
09-08-2005, 06:06 AM
ewwww

MisterQ
09-08-2005, 06:06 AM
WOW! :worship:

It is remarkable that such a huge crowd stayed in Ashe until after 1am on a weeknight --- a testiment to the excitement of this match! How many times did Agassi seem to be a lost cause?! But he never gave up. It was wonderful to see him doing what he used to do so often... pull out amazing returns and groundstrokes at tight moments in a match. :cool:

One has to feel for Blake, but I hope he will build on this success and continue to play at such a high level!

Hantuchov
09-08-2005, 06:08 AM
Andre, simply amazing!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

We did have a great night session, both matches were great, lots of emotion and I'm happy both Elena and Andre won! :yippee:

Plz Andre, I'll go with you till the final now, keep it up! :bounce:

JBrocks
09-08-2005, 06:19 AM
Andre :clap2:

AZILANA
09-08-2005, 06:21 AM
just awesome andre, you're the man... now go to the finals... t think the other quarter is boring but i will change my mind if somebody beats federer ....

Mechlan
09-08-2005, 06:54 AM
Andre! :worship:

That's going to be a classic. Tough luck for James; he really should have put it away in the 3rd set. He was so full of confidence and really had Andre questioning himself. Credit to Agassi for fighting and raising his level in the fourth and fifth. Nothing beats that match for drama. Good luck to Andre in the semis, and Blake - should he continue to play like this - will definitely be on the rise.

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 07:33 AM
Good match, too bad it was decided by a 5th set tiebreaker, not that it would have changed the result. Blake had more than enough chances to win it, but he wasn't good enough in the end.

Mrs. B
09-08-2005, 07:40 AM
Andre :worship:

James :worship:

Bilbo
09-08-2005, 07:44 AM
Agassi down 2-0 sets, 35 years old and still beat Blake. The best player of all time did it again.

ONE HELL OF A PERFORMANCE BY AGASSI

GonzoFan
09-08-2005, 07:47 AM
:worship: :worship: ANDRE AGASSI !!!! :worship: :worship:

landoud
09-08-2005, 08:16 AM
andre :worship:

nermo
09-08-2005, 08:42 AM
Andre.. :) :bigclap: thought that this would be hard for u to get through..but u're still a legend

jenanun
09-08-2005, 08:46 AM
ANDRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He is going to win the title this year!!!!! yay!!!!!

mandoura
09-08-2005, 08:56 AM
"It's about authentic competition, getting out there and having respect for each other's game, respect for each other's person, letting it fly and letting it just be about tennis,'' - Andre Agassi, you amazing man :worship: .

"It couldn't have been more fun to lose,'' - James Blake. :hatoff:

joeb_uk
09-08-2005, 09:01 AM
Blake :sad: I thought you could beat baldy!! :eek:

propi
09-08-2005, 09:10 AM
End of fairytale for James... go back to reality and try to keep the level

Aleksa's Laydee
09-08-2005, 09:19 AM
blake :mad:

Douggie Style
09-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Congrats to Andre :worship:

Carlita
09-08-2005, 09:45 AM
:worship: ANDREEEEEEEEEEEE :worship:

:awww: sowwy James....

Sugar Kane
09-08-2005, 09:45 AM
What a match, what a match!!! :bounce: WD Andre! :worship:

nermo
09-08-2005, 09:47 AM
It's about authentic competition, getting out there and having respect for each other's game, respect for each other's person, letting it fly and letting it just be about tennis,'' - Andre Agassi, you amazing man .

"It couldn't have been more fun to lose,'' - James Blake posted by mandoura

:yeah: they were really good with each other,

trulliscorpion
09-08-2005, 11:04 AM
After this heavy choke by James, who dominated the whole 2 first sets and most of the 3rd, having break points on like every Andre serve game, I'll never call PHM a choker again.

pinky_girl
09-08-2005, 11:44 AM
I still can't believe Blake lost :eek: It was an incredible match, actually all of Blake's matches at this year's USO have been great, he is a really good player, I love his killer forehand :worship: But what can I say...well done Agassi :yeah: And I hope to see a great final between Federer and Agassi :cool:

alfonsojose
09-08-2005, 12:37 PM
Andre :hug: Congrats. After Chokenport's defeat :mad: :tears: i thougth you were to lose, but u fought hard :bowdown:

Shabazza
09-08-2005, 12:38 PM
After this heavy choke by James, who dominated the whole 2 first sets and most of the 3rd, having break points on like every Andre serve game, I'll never call PHM a choker again.
no one comes near PHM, not even Blake or Coria ;)

James :sad: :worship:
Agassi :cool:

TheMightyFed
09-08-2005, 12:40 PM
Sorry guys I didn't see the 3rd set, but the end of the match was awesome from Blake too, he did not choke, he went for his shots and took many risks. But Andre did things out of this world, thanks to his giant experience..

hythger
09-08-2005, 12:43 PM
Congrats Andre!!!! Unbelievable... great match, both of them deserved to win! But I am glad to see Andre in the semis!

ultraX
09-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Congratulation to Agassi!!!

I'm a big fan of Agassi and now Blake. I like them both...
It was the best match that I've ever seen, Agassi was down 2 sets then he fought back and took control in 3 last sets. Blake was amazing, he was so fast but Agassi was too good. I couldn't believe Agassi has made it.

it was simply PHENOMENAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Agassi will beat Ginepri in 3 straight sets, it will be lost easier!!

Agassi you're the man! You're the Icon! You're the legend! You're simply the best!

tinuviel_estel
09-08-2005, 01:55 PM
Congratulations to both of them :) they played really good last night! :yeah:

Whistleway
09-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Wow. Wow.

RogiFan88
09-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Blake blew it... too bad but a fab run! ;)

Rosa Luxembourg
09-08-2005, 05:33 PM
I'm sad and glad... glad because I don't to watch James' support group any. They have really become obnoxoius in the last 2 matches.

Raquel
09-08-2005, 06:03 PM
Well done to both guys on such an exciting match and especially to Andre - he didn't become inhibited when he was down. He hit out and went for lines and was braver when it mattered, especially at 4-5 in the 5th. Amazing comeback.

Billabong
09-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Awesome battle, one of the best matches of the year 2005:worship: I'm glad I recorded all of it:p

Billabong
09-08-2005, 06:05 PM
BTW Congrats to both players, too bad there had to be a winner, because it was fantastic to watch and they were really equal. Well done Andre, you rock:banana:!

Experimentee
09-09-2005, 05:20 PM
Amazing match. I only saw the first 3 sets, but there were just incredible shots from both players! Well done to Andre, and I hope he will have enough left to defeat Ginepri! If Blake keeps this standard of tennis up he will be top 10 in no time!