Nobody's Talking About Hewitt/Nieminen [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nobody's Talking About Hewitt/Nieminen

gillian
09-08-2005, 02:30 AM
Why is that?

Will this be a "blink and you miss it" match?

Or another 5-setter?

I'm not holding out hope for a long match. This one should be nice and easy for Lil' Lleyton.

megadeth
09-08-2005, 02:34 AM
i don't see hewitt losing this one...

megadeth
09-08-2005, 02:36 AM
the finnish will be finished! ;)

fenomeno2111
09-08-2005, 05:25 AM
Hewitt will take this easily..

fenomeno2111
09-08-2005, 05:26 AM
Why is that?

Will this be a "blink and you miss it" match?

Or another 5-setter?

I'm not holding out hope for a long match. This one should be nice and easy for Lil' Lleyton.
BTW GILLIAN CAN I JOIN YOUR CLUB??? CAN YOU I BE THE VP?

Fergie
09-08-2005, 05:34 AM
i don't see hewitt losing this one...
Me either ...

NYCtennisfan
09-08-2005, 06:12 AM
Franky, this has been a great run by Jarkko but I think it ends now. I'd love for it to be a good battle but I don't think he can win a set to be honest.

azza
09-08-2005, 06:21 AM
Please win Jarkko :D

Merton
09-08-2005, 06:46 AM
One thing to note is that Lleyton is the #3 seed and yet he did not get a single night match this year, please correct me if i am wrong.

Scotso
09-08-2005, 06:48 AM
I'd love to see Jarkko win, and I think he does have some chance, but I just can't see it happening, to be honest :sad:

oneandonlyhsn
09-08-2005, 07:00 AM
I'd love to see Jarkko take it to Lleyton, Rusty hasnt been playing well so if Jarkko can play consistent and with variety and no pace he may trouble Hewitt but his chances of winning the match are slim to none .

Tennis Fool
09-08-2005, 07:03 AM
I hate to keep repeating but 21 Rule says Hewitt or Federer will be in the finals to face Agassi. Too bad none of the teens got this far...

BAMJ6
09-08-2005, 07:06 AM
Nieminen's dream ends tomorrow. Hewitt will crush him. besides Niem winning won't do Agassi any good since Nalby/Fed will crushing the Fin

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 07:07 AM
Most people expect Hewitt to win comfortably and the many of the others don't give a monkeys about Nieminen, so there you have it.

NYCtennisfan
09-08-2005, 07:43 AM
Hewitt will have to really be off of his game for Jarkko to have a chance.

Clara Bow
09-08-2005, 07:48 AM
One thing to note is that Lleyton is the #3 seed and yet he did not get a single night match this year, please correct me if i am wrong.

At least it's an improvement on 2003. If I recall correctly, JCF was the #3 and didn't play on Ashe until the final.

Point taken though- I have noticed the LLeyton has had no night matches.

JMG
09-08-2005, 08:29 AM
Nieminen's dream ends tomorrow. Hewitt will crush him. besides Niem winning won't do Agassi any good since Nalby/Fed will crushing the Fin

Federer would crush him. But how can you say that a player who has problems with Sanguinetti will crush Nieminen? Nalbandian needed a 5th set tb against Jarkko, although he played his best tennis in that tournament.

Puschkin
09-08-2005, 08:52 AM
Hewitt will take this easily..

Hewitt will win it, I think, but I am not so sure, if it will be easy.

Auscon
09-08-2005, 09:11 AM
Lleyton will have to stink out there for this to come close to going the distance

User id 7816
09-08-2005, 09:27 AM
one thing is sure, the amount of come oons from hewitt in this match will differ from the eventual next against Fed. :p

I'm looking forward to the match and will be cheering for Jarkko, hope he's not thinking I got this far its enough.

sports freak
09-08-2005, 09:45 AM
Most people expect Hewitt to win comfortably and the many of the others don't give a monkeys about Nieminen, so there you have it.

Exactly,Spot on couldnt agree more!!!! ;) I ve said it b4,Jarkko is good value!!
To be honest i can see Jarkko taking a set of Rusty!!!Nieminen is a good fighter aswell and will be no push over for Rusty IMO!!!!Most likely a tough 4 set encounter!!!!

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 09:48 AM
Exactly,Spot on couldnt agree more!!!! ;) I ve said it b4,Jarkko is good value!!
To be honest i can see Jarkko taking a set of Rusty!!!Nieminen is a good fighter aswell and will be no push over for Rusty IMO!!!!Most likely a tough 4 set encounter!!!!

I am one of the few Shark fans and he can take a set and won't give in this is true, though he has to start well and realise he has nothing to lose at all, but the reality is that Hewitt will do enough and win.

TJL
09-08-2005, 02:09 PM
Hewitt is such a clear favourite for this match and most people don't know who Jarkko is. If Hewitt plays at his best he will win, but if not then this will definetely not be an easy match for him. Jarkko at his best can be an dangerous opponent. Nieminen can mix his game very well and threw his opponent out of comfort zone. With Mirnyi he controlled the game and was hitting winners everywhere. With Verdasco he took the speed out and mixed his shots and never let Verdasco really get into the game. His strentgh is playing smartly. It's not always pretty and sometimes it's downright ugly (as in R16), but you do what you can to win.

Granted Hewitt at his best is pretty much unbeatable for Nieminen, but anything less and things will probably get interesting. Nieminen is good at throwing opponents out of the balance, but unfortunately (for us Finns anyway) it's really hard to threw Hewitt off his game. So I'd expect Hewitt to win, but one can always dream... :D

bad gambler
09-08-2005, 02:12 PM
H So I'd expect Hewitt to win, but one can always dream... :D

nothing wrong with that :)

though for my sake, i hope you are wrong ;)

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 02:15 PM
Hewitt is such a clear favourite for this match and most people don't know who Jarkko is. If Hewitt plays at his best he will win, but if not then this will definetely not be an easy match for him. Jarkko at his best can be an dangerous opponent. Nieminen can mix his game very well and threw his opponent out of comfort zone. With Mirnyi he controlled the game and was hitting winners everywhere. With Verdasco he took the speed out and mixed his shots and never let Verdasco really get into the game. His strentgh is playing smartly. It's not always pretty and sometimes it's downright ugly (as in R16), but you do what you can to win.

Granted Hewitt at his best is pretty much unbeatable for Nieminen, but anything less and things will probably get interesting. Nieminen is good at throwing opponents out of the balance, but unfortunately (for us Finns anyway) it's really hard to threw Hewitt off his game. So I'd expect Hewitt to win, but one can always dream... :D

What are you doing this is an intelligent and thoughtful post that really doesn't have any place on GM at this board.

Good luck for Nieminen tonight, he'll need it and Suomi perkele :)

gillian
09-08-2005, 02:28 PM
Franky, this has been a great run by Jarkko but I think it ends now. I'd love for it to be a good battle but I don't think he can win a set to be honest.

Yeah, I'd be shocked if he won even a set from Hewitt. Lleyton has looked very solid throughout this tournament.

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 02:30 PM
Yeah, I'd be shocked if he won even a set from Hewitt. Lleyton has looked very solid throughout this tournament.

Solid against Acasuso and Dent are you talking about Hewitt here?

gillian
09-08-2005, 02:32 PM

I confess, before this year, I didn't know much about Jarkko. But seeing him get to the quarters at Flushing Meadows has shown me that he has both game and heart, so I'm warming up to him. Still think Hewitt will win relatively easily.

gillian
09-08-2005, 02:34 PM
BTW GILLIAN CAN I JOIN YOUR CLUB??? CAN YOU I BE THE VP?

Sure. Why not. The more the merrier. :)

gillian
09-08-2005, 02:38 PM
Solid against Acasuso and Dent are you talking about Hewitt here?

You're right that he didn't look sharp against Dent (all credit to Dent for pressuring him); however, he did win that match. And he beat Acasuso in straight sets, and demolished Hrbaty pretty easily.

I'm no Hewitt fan. I'm just saying that he's played well enough to make it this far, and I don't see him being troubled by Jarkko in today's match.

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 02:41 PM
You're right that he didn't look sharp against Dent (all credit to Dent for pressuring him); however, he did win that match. And he beat Acasuso in straight sets, and demolished Hrbaty pretty easily.

I'm no Hewitt fan. I'm just saying that he's played well enough to make it this far, and I don't see him being troubled by Jarkko in today's match.

He was good enough to win these matches as he should be and Acasuso shouldn't be taking Hewitt to 2 tiebreakers on a hardcourt and wasn't solid against Dent. He did what he needed to and will do so later today, but he hasn't totally solid through the tournament.

TJL
09-08-2005, 03:10 PM
What are you doing this is an intelligent and thoughtful post that really doesn't have any place on GM at this board.

Good luck for Nieminen tonight, he'll need it and Suomi perkele :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry, next time I'll try being less thoughful and maybe even add an insult or two to better fit in to this forum :wavey:

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 03:12 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry, next time I'll try being less thoughful and maybe even add an insult or two to better fit in to this forum :wavey:

:wavey: Tervetuloa MTF

Olen norjalainen and you have understood the protocol around here very well.

TJL
09-08-2005, 03:15 PM
:wavey: Tervetuloa MTF

Olen norjalainen and you have understood the protocol around here very well.

Thanks! So I guess the right protocol at this point would be to ask how did the Norwegian players do in US Open ;)

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 03:17 PM
Thanks! So I guess the right protocol at this point would be to ask how did the Norwegian players do in US Open ;)

Better than our football team.

Back to the subject, there is the odd intelligent conversation around here. Nieminen has a chance for sure, but he has to start well and I am surprised he won a match in 3 sets at a Slam, that is not the Jarkko way.

Fumus
09-08-2005, 03:18 PM
No one talks about 4, 3, and 2 wins for Hewitt...his matches are boring enough as it is.

TJL
09-08-2005, 03:25 PM
Back to the subject, there is the odd intelligent conversation around here. Nieminen has a chance for sure, but he has to start well and I am surprised he won a match in 3 sets at a Slam, that is not the Jarkko way.

You're absolutely right on that. It surprised me also, but Verdasco contributed pretty well with totally loosing his head after loosing second set tiebreak.

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 03:30 PM
You're absolutely right on that. It surprised me also, but Verdasco contributed pretty well with totally loosing his head after loosing second set tiebreak.

Yes, Nando couldn't hit an elephants arse with a banjo from 1m away that day.

I hope Jarkko can get some deep moonballs to Hewitt's backhand and hit behind him when he has the chance.

TJL
09-08-2005, 03:33 PM
About Hewitt's game. I don't think he has played that well. Hrbaty game was good though. But like somebody mentioned it has been good enough to get to QF and that's all that matters. With top players previous games are not really that important. They usually play well when it matters.

Playing well in previous match is pretty irrelevant. If you don't believe go and ask Gilles Muller...

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 03:36 PM
About Hewitt's game. I don't think he has played that well. Hrbaty game was good though. But like somebody mentioned it has been good enough to get to QF and that's all that matters. With top players previous games are not really that important. They usually play well when it matters.

Playing well in previous match is pretty irrelevant. If you don't believe go and ask Gilles Muller...

Hewitt is the mentally toughest guy on tour and when it needs to be done, he'll be there and it will take an outstanding performance to beat him from Jarkko, as long as he doesn't go on court, thinking it's a lost cause, though most of us think he won't win.

TJL
09-08-2005, 03:46 PM
Hewitt is definetely ONE of the mentally toughest guys on the tour. Who is the toughest is something that is pretty much impossible to agree on. For that he is really bad opponent for Jarkko. And it is clear that he has a better game then Jarkko so I wouldn't bet on Jarkko's win. But stranger things has happened in tennis.

gillian
09-08-2005, 03:50 PM
He was good enough to win these matches as he should be and Acasuso shouldn't be taking Hewitt to 2 tiebreakers on a hardcourt and wasn't solid against Dent. He did what he needed to and will do so later today, but he hasn't totally solid through the tournament.

Good points all. I guess that's been Hewitt's trouble in the last year or so. Few problems with lower-ranked players, but not doing so well with top-10 ranked opponents.

Hmmm. I don't know why I spend so much time trying to boost his chances. I don't even like him-LOL.

Turkeyballs Paco
09-08-2005, 04:26 PM
No one talks about 4, 3, and 2 wins for Hewitt...his matches are boring enough as it is.

It's not that exciting when the players just wait for the other to make an unforced error, and Hewitt generally plays that way. I thought the match with Dent was pretty good though, but Dent's serve & volley changes the way Hewitt needs to play. I'm actually shocked I've been able to see at least parts of all of Hewitt's matches in this slam. That wasn't the case last year.

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 04:32 PM
Hewitt is definetely ONE of the mentally toughest guys on the tour. Who is the toughest is something that is pretty much impossible to agree on. For that he is really bad opponent for Jarkko. And it is clear that he has a better game then Jarkko so I wouldn't bet on Jarkko's win. But stranger things has happened in tennis.

That's the thing Hewitt on his best surface, makes it even tougher to play. He can only do his best and he needs to serve very well and somehow give him no rhythm without making errors. I mean anyone can have a great plan, but it looks silly without good execution.

TJL
09-08-2005, 06:17 PM
That's the thing Hewitt on his best surface, makes it even tougher to play. He can only do his best and he needs to serve very well and somehow give him no rhythm without making errors. I mean anyone can have a great plan, but it looks silly without good execution.

Yeah that's what Blake also said about Agassi's change of tactics in third set (when Agassi started to play more agressively): if he'd made lot of UEs and lost the set everybody would have been talking about Agassi's "tactical error".

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 06:20 PM
Yeah that's what Blake also said about Agassi's change of tactics in third set (when Agassi started to play more agressively): if he'd made lot of UEs and lost the set everybody would have been talking about Agassi's "tactical error".

Well at the same time it's up to the other player adjusting, too many times Blake was going into the open court when hitting behind them is such a fun option.

I mean Jarkko can get high balls to Hewitt's backhand side and seriously some short dinks and some harder shots thrown in with some moonballs, but Hewitt returns and lobs so well, so it's even more important to be on the game.

PaulieM
09-08-2005, 06:31 PM
i would like to see this be a close match but i don't really think it will be. i hope nieminen surprises me.

Doris Loeffel
09-08-2005, 11:08 PM
Bump for Gilian

Well Nieminen gave a great fight but in the end it wasn't good enogh

Turkeyballs Paco
09-08-2005, 11:11 PM
:woohoo: congrats Lleyton!