Nike must be kicking themselves for dropping Robby! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nike must be kicking themselves for dropping Robby!

Scotso
09-08-2005, 12:26 AM
One of (if not the) hottest player(s) this summer. They dropped him earlier this year, from what I can understand.

Instead of the check, I'm seeing a lot of the funny little X... which I've learned it like Under Armor or something like that.

Oh well... way to drop the ball Nike ;)

Pureracket
09-08-2005, 12:27 AM
Nike probably could stand to gain the likes of Ginepri, but Nike will be alright. LOL!!!!!

Go Robby G!

Raquel
09-08-2005, 12:30 AM
And Mary Pierce as well. I don't know if they actually dropped Mary (it wouldn't surprise me) but she's had a great year in the Slams and lots of coverage. Robby's wearing the same brand as Martina Navratilova. I'm not sure what it's called though.

El Legenda
09-08-2005, 12:31 AM
UA is starting to be huge, they are taking over College Football and NFL, now moving everywhere.

oneandonlyhsn
09-08-2005, 12:33 AM
And Mary Pierce as well. I don't know if they actually dropped Mary (it wouldn't surprise me) but she's had a great year in the Slams and lots of coverage. Robby's wearing the same brand as Martina Navratilova. I'm not sure what it's called though.

Ditto Mary is rocking :worship:

El Legenda
09-08-2005, 12:35 AM
http://www.underarmour.com/

Raquel
09-08-2005, 12:36 AM
Ditto Mary is rocking :worship:
Loving it :D

Scotso
09-08-2005, 12:45 AM
Mary :worship:

Socket
09-08-2005, 01:17 AM
Actually, the company that should be kicking itself is American Express, given that about the only American male player who did NOT have any mojo at the US Open was Andy.

megadeth
09-08-2005, 01:27 AM
nike dropped a lot of players this year. makes you wonder if it's part of some strategy.

considering they drop these players that are great to sponsor and chose to keep the contracts of the coaches instead? weird

oneandonlyhsn
09-08-2005, 01:28 AM
Actually, the company that should be kicking itself is American Express, given that about the only American male player who did NOT have any mojo at the US Open was Andy.

:rolls: :worship:

Éowyn
09-08-2005, 01:29 AM
nike dropped robby in july it is what gave robby the realisation that he ha dto work they did him a huge favour! underarmour came in and showed him huge belief and they are going to reap the rewards for ite

Vanity
09-08-2005, 05:38 AM
woooooo GO ROBBY :D

LaTenista
09-08-2005, 06:42 AM
Dunlop and Citizen must also be saying 'Doh!' after cancelling their contracts with James Blake.

All the Andy Roddick commericals these last two weeks must have AE and Lexus seeing red. :o

Makes me think these Advertising/Marketing people are mostly incompetent. Like Agassi has practically booked his place in the final yet I haven't seen any of his commercials during this slam.

Scotso
09-08-2005, 06:51 AM
Like Agassi has practically booked his place in the final yet I haven't seen any of his commercials during this slam.

Then you haven't been watching :eek:

smucav
09-08-2005, 10:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/usopen05/columns/story?columnist=rovell_darren&id=2155102Updated: Sep. 7, 2005, 10:20 PM ET
Ginepri gives Under Armour prime exposure
By Darren Rovell
ESPN.com

NEW YORK -- Robby Ginepri's rise to prominence at this year's U.S. Open has turned into an incredible product placement deal for Under Armour.

The market leader in moisture-wicking equipment that has challenged the likes of Nike and adidas, has its interlocking "UA" all over Ginepri. The endorsement deal is not traditional in that Under Armour doesn't specifically market to the tennis crowd. Only two other players have been spotting wearing the company's logo at the Open -- Martina Navratilova and Jill Craybas.

"It's so unique," said Ginepri, after defeating Guillermo Coria in a five-set match dressed in a green and yellow outfit. "No one has it. That's what I love about it the most."

Ginepri presented Under Armour with an excellent chance at exposure, which can be bought a relatively cheap price these days. Only a select few players among the top 10 have the opportunity to make millions off their shoe and apparel deals as the tennis industry hasn't faired well at retail in recent times.

"Companies are more selective than ever before," said James Blake's agent Carlos Fleming. "The top companies don't want guys that aren't a lock for the second week of the grand slam."

After Nike passed on renewing Lleyton Hewitt, the Australia signed a shoe and apparel deal with his racket maker Yonex, which is not a major player in either category.

Ginepri, who came into the U.S. Open ranked No. 46, didn't have tens of millions of dollars waiting for him, so he went with a brand that seemed to jive with his personality.

"Under Armour is a young, hip brand and they are the underdog," said Phil de Picciotto, president of Octagon, the sports management firm that represents Ginepri. "Robby is also young and hip and like Under Armour, which is challenging Nike, adidas and Reebok, Robby is set to emerge as a challenger to Andy Roddick. So his persona is very similar to their brand positioning and where they are in the growth cycle."

De Picciotto says that in the tennis world today "players tend to be famous for 15 minutes rather than 15 years and that is limiting the value of their personal brand for commercial purposes."

This has resulted in companies using tennis players in order to get much needed exposure. Close-ups on television coverage make placement on clothing in tennis more ideal than almost any other sport.

It's one of the reasons why Lacoste signed Andy Roddick after his deal with Reebok was over.

"Andy will be a key element within our program, but we're really not a tennis line," said Robert Siegel, chairman and CEO of Lacoste USA. "Andy could wear a white T-shirt and the people will come to the store and say, 'I want Andy's T-shirt. Andy has the charisma to make a statement with something."

Ginepri has never been on this big of a stage before, but if he is able to continue his run, perhaps Under Armour will start a tennis line. And young kids everywhere will start wearing sleeveless tennis shirts, lifting weights and wearing half-inch wristbands on their forearms.

Darren Rovell, who covers sports business for ESPN.com, can be reached at darren.rovell@espn3.com.

darnyelb
09-08-2005, 10:34 PM
I never bought anything just because a celebrity wore it. Maybe it adds to name recognition, but that's it for me.

smucav
12-09-2005, 04:10 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=2253134Updated: Dec. 9, 2005, 1:54 AM ET
Blake, once spurned by Dunlop, signs with Prince
By Darren Rovell
ESPN.com

It doesn't pay to doubt James Blake.

Dunlop has learned that lesson.

The racket maker signed him when he turned pro in 1999 and extended their deal with him again in 2002. But when Blake fell out of the top 100 last year, Dunlop executives exercised their option to dump him so that they wouldn't have to pay him top dollar.

By the time he won the Pilot Pen in August, reached the quarterfinals in the U.S. Open in September and won the Stockholm Open in October of this season, it was too late to get him back. Every company in the racket business wanted to pay to have their product in Blake's hands.

ESPN.com has learned that the battle has been won by Prince, which will add the 25-year-old to their stable of endorsers that includes highly-ranked players including Maria Sharapova, Nikolai Davidenko and Guillermo Coria. Terms of the multi-year deal were not announced.

"Prince did an unbelievable job in presenting to James, from a technical and marketing standpoint," said Blake's agent Carlos Fleming.

Prince, which has an industry leading 40 percent of the market for tennis rackets that sell for over $200, was clearly looking for a top American man. Andy Roddick and Robby Ginepri play with Babolat while Taylor Dent uses Head. Prince's highest ranked player before signing Blake was journeyman Paul Goldstein, who is currently ranked 67th in the world.

Six years ago, Blake was considered one of the most promising stars in the game. He left Harvard after his sophomore year, turned pro and signed deals with the likes of Nike, Dunlop and American Express. He not only had the game, he had the charisma and those dreadlocks that rekindled memories of Yannick Noah.

But things changed.

In December 2003, he shaved his hair. The following year, he broke his neck and contracted Zoster, a virus that affected his sight and temporarily paralyzed one side of his face. His father then died of cancer.

Just eight months ago, his ranking had slipped to 210, which forced him to play in challenger tournaments. He won two of them in consecutive weeks in May and slowly climbed back to the national stage, culminating in a five-set loss to Andre Agassi, who advanced to the U.S. Open semifinals with the win.

Fleming said he believes that his client's marketing potential "is greater today than it has ever been."

"When he originally signed deals at the beginning of his career, it was based on potential," Fleming said. "Now, he is actually doing."

Despite James' struggles, Nike stood by him. This year, they re-signed him to a four-year shoe and apparel deal.

Blake has never been associated with Prince before. He played with Wilson during his college career.

Darren Rovell, who covers sports business for ESPN.com, can be reached at darren.rovell@espn3.com.

sigmagirl91
12-09-2005, 04:15 PM
The only thing about Nike sticking with James, is that James is much more well-known outside of tennis circles than Robby.

gusman890
12-09-2005, 04:35 PM
still, i reason i believed they dumped Robby and not James was because Robby was giving them the results that they wanted and therefore dumped him for not preforming well. I mean, when you sign a contract, your a product of that company and if you dont give them the results and highlights that you promised too when you signed the dotted line, then they will find someone else to take your place.
But since its nike, they have fed and nadal for a while to hold them in place.

I believe Nike didn't dump james is because he was no.22 in the world before all this happened.
then he got the virus, his dad died, broke his neck etc.
Nike probally felt sorry for him and felt that alot of this wasnt his fault and that it was just pure bad luck. so they stood by him. What i do believe is if the 2005 summer wasnt as good as it was, nike might have dumped him around summer '06 because they cant wait forever to get his groove back or if it will come back.

alfonsojose
12-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Is still JMG with Prince?

Deboogle!.
12-09-2005, 05:02 PM
Is still JMG with Prince?I think so yep

Fee
12-09-2005, 05:27 PM
Yes, he is, racquets and clothes (unless they found a way to dump him in November when his season ended).

How did a story about James' racquet deal end up in a thread about Robby's clothes?

alfonsojose
12-09-2005, 05:46 PM
I think so yep
:hug:

Deboogle!.
12-09-2005, 05:57 PM
How did a story about James' racquet deal end up in a thread about Robby's clothes?James is so important he must take over months-old threads about other players! ;) :rocker2:

gusman890
12-09-2005, 05:58 PM
hahaha ^^

must be, or could have been just an example of nike's doings

joyk
12-10-2005, 07:37 AM

They didn`t drop her,she just wasn`t happy with the money they offered.