Jim Courier just took some shots at Coria [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Jim Courier just took some shots at Coria

LLeytonRules
09-07-2005, 08:03 PM
He was just in the Fan, WFAN in nyc, thats Courier and said Guillermo is a punk and is one of those guys that when he was in school, would sit in the back and throw paper airplanes :devil: , and said he was a teacher's pet,hahaha.

willie
09-07-2005, 08:13 PM
courier is an asshole.

Socket
09-07-2005, 08:15 PM
If he were still on tour, Courier would have already beaten the living daylights out of Coria. He was one of the most no-nonsense guys on the tour.

And before anybody suggests that he would also beat the crap out of Lleyton, you might want to check out some of Jim's comments about Lleyton, so you don't look like a fool. Just a gentle warning. :angel:

dorkgirl
09-07-2005, 08:21 PM
I would agree with both statements. Coria is a punk, and Courier is an asshole.

Socket
09-07-2005, 08:23 PM
I would agree with both statements. Coria is a punk, and Courier is an asshole.
But Jim has such good taste in men . . . :angel:

sawan66278
09-07-2005, 08:45 PM
WFAN is, in my opinion, the best sports talk radio program in America...Anyway, I respect Courier's opinion...He has moved up to Johnny Mac level with respect to commentary skill and expertise...

By the way, why the "gay" jokes? I've seen these comments on other boards? I have never understood the references...

Socket
09-07-2005, 08:48 PM
Courier makes comments that sometimes sounds . . . well, gay. Personally, I think he's aware of our obsession with his comments, and he's milking the whole situation for everything it's worth. Good on him (and I agree about his growing skills as a commentator).

TenHound
09-07-2005, 08:51 PM
There is a chance that Courier isn't gay...also a chance that Flip isn't a Queen...of course, there's being gay vs. acting upon it...I think even in guy's tennis there's a problem w/guys being gay, even if one isn't Chinese American...

oneandonlyhsn
09-07-2005, 08:59 PM
Coria is a punk :woohoo: bad boys rule

TennisLurker
09-07-2005, 09:05 PM
If he were still on tour, Courier would have already beaten the living daylights out of Coria. He was one of the most no-nonsense guys on the tour.

And before anybody suggests that he would also beat the crap out of Lleyton, you might want to check out some of Jim's comments about Lleyton, so you don't look like a fool. Just a gentle warning. :angel:

The gentle warning is unnecessary.
Courier is not a scholar authority on assholeness.

LLeytonRules
09-07-2005, 09:08 PM
Coria is playing some good tennis even if he is a punk, just took the first set.

mangoes
09-07-2005, 09:08 PM
He was just in the Fan, WFAN in nyc, thats Courier and said Guillermo is a punk and is one of those guys that when he was in school, would sit in the back and throw paper airplanes :devil: , and said he was a teacher's pet,hahaha.

What a dumb thing to say! First McEnroe about Venus last night, now Courier?

mangoes
09-07-2005, 09:09 PM
Coria is playing some good tennis even if he is a punk, just took the first set.

Yep, he played well..............I hope he wins this.

Chloe le Bopper
09-07-2005, 09:10 PM
The gentle warning is unnecessary.
Courier is not a scholar authority on assholeness.
Indeed. Courier is human, and much like Socket, is totally capable of being hypocritical, inconsistent, or apply double standards.

I like Jim anyways though :devil:

Socket
09-07-2005, 09:15 PM
Indeed. Courier is human, and much like Socket, is totally capable of being hypocritical, inconsistent, or apply double standards.

I like Jim anyways though :devil:
But you don't like me? :sad: Talk about your double standards . . . :sad:

Chloe le Bopper
09-07-2005, 09:17 PM
At least you caught the joke! I was afraid that I was being too subtle. It's nice to know that it's not actually possible for me to be subtle :D

gillian
09-07-2005, 09:18 PM
WFAN is, in my opinion, the best sports talk radio program in America...Anyway, I respect Courier's opinion...He has moved up to Johnny Mac level with respect to commentary skill and expertise....

Absolutely agree on this. I may not always agree with Courier's comments, but he provides a very knowledgeable and likable presence in the broadcast booth.

By the way, why the "gay" jokes? I've seen these comments on other boards? I have never understood the references...

I don't get it either.

LLeytonRules
09-07-2005, 09:22 PM
Ginepri is taking it to the Coria in the second set, its 4-0 with Ginepri serving.

Mrs. B
09-07-2005, 09:26 PM
Courier doesn't have a Carla. :devil:

Tennis Fool
09-07-2005, 10:03 PM
But you don't like me? :sad: Talk about your double standards . . . :sad:
The Queen Rebecca has returned with the ousting of Ferrero, Nadal and Novak D. No one is safe :p

Chloe le Bopper
09-07-2005, 10:08 PM
Returned? I went somewhere?

Chloe le Bopper
09-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Courier - the magic does not come from the racquet, it comes from Coria!

alfonsojose
09-07-2005, 10:24 PM
Jim :drool:

Chloe le Bopper
09-07-2005, 10:39 PM
Jim :drool:
:banana:

thrust
09-08-2005, 12:16 AM
From what I have heard, Coria is not well liked on tour. Still, he is a fine player who probably lacks the size to be a top 5 player.

Eclectic Goddess
09-08-2005, 12:26 AM
From what I have heard, Coria is not well liked on tour. Still, he is a fine player who probably lacks the size to be a top 5 player.
And yet he HAS been a top five player.

As for him being a punk and Courier being gay, I say, "Yay!" to both. I like bad boys, and I like gay boys, so everybody wins. Who says everyone has to get along?

Scotso
09-08-2005, 12:30 AM
Coria is beyond "not well liked on tour," he's pretty much hated by a lot of the players.

Coria isn't the nicest guy on tour, that's for sure.

binkygirl
09-08-2005, 05:23 AM
WFAN is, in my opinion, the best sports talk radio program in America...Anyway, I respect Courier's opinion...He has moved up to Johnny Mac level with respect to commentary skill and expertise...

There was the 'reading a book' during the changeover incident where Jim was reading an Armistead Maupin book. Maupin wrote a famous gay themed novel. Then, there was the time Martina commented on hitting with a closeted tennis pro and because she was recently seen hitting with with Courier, people assumed it to be him.

Also, Jim does seem a little flamey with his mannerisms sometimes.

alfonsojose
09-08-2005, 01:52 PM
He's a tiny winnie :p

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 01:54 PM
Courier is an arsehole and Coria has upset some people on tour, next the discovery that the world is round will be revealed to be true after all.

alfonsojose
09-08-2005, 01:57 PM
Courier is an arsehole and Coria has upset some people on tour, next the discovery that the world is round will be revealed to be true after all.
:eek: Tell me some Courier stories. What did he do?

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 01:59 PM
:eek: Tell me some Courier stories. What did he do?

Nothing major, just an arrogant prick who was great when things were going well, that sort of stuff. He is very popular in Australia for some reason.

Dugarry
09-08-2005, 02:34 PM
Coria is doped. He shouldn't be on the courts

Socket
09-08-2005, 02:49 PM
When he played Davis Cup, Courier was the team enforcer. Anybody who stepped out of line by not working hard enough or partying too much had to answer to him. It definitely did not endear him to some of the guys.

FanOfHewitt
09-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Coria, Courier and Hewitt are legends. Long live the arseholes!

Action Jackson
09-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Coria, Courier and Hewitt are legends. Long live the arseholes!

Is that right then Lendl and Muster should be in this category, but that would be too much for you then. :p

FanOfHewitt
09-08-2005, 03:23 PM
Is that right then Lendl and Muster should be in this category, but that would be too much for you then. :p

Too true. Coria, Courier and Hewitt are legends. Long live theSE arseholes!

daze11
09-09-2005, 03:46 AM
god, i just watched the tape. courier is such a bitter little infant. i WISH coria could have heard him going on and on ...it would have motivated him and would not have played so unbelievably sloppy in the 3rd set, handing that over to ginepri, and would have just closed it out in 4 relatively easy sets. (though full kudos to robby for his solid play in the 5th)

but basically courier was misinformed about a few incidents, uppermost being his lack of knowledge about the massu match dynamics, and is a control freak about being the 'man in charge/taskmaster' and was only slowly beaten down from his holier than thou sarcastic attitude by mac's constant praise of guillermo. If he listened to how childish & controlling he sounds on the broadcasts, maybe he could cut guille some slack about what courier ironically called "coria's arrogance" and actually sit back and see one of tennis' strongest cast members spinning out the action. what an uptight geek courier is...mama's boy. :p

The Pro
09-09-2005, 11:44 AM
We should turn this into the "What do you think tennis players were like at school?" thread.

Roger was obviously at the front desk every day, 3 minutes before class started, with his hands on the desk and fingers interlocked. :angel:

Safin, smoking behind the bike sheds...

Flip- the lanky kid who was always falling over.

Rochus- Puberty Train! *dingdingding* It aint gonna stop here!

gillian
09-09-2005, 02:31 PM
Haven't been involved in this thread, but these were funny

We should turn this into the "What do you think tennis players were like at school?" thread.

Roger was obviously at the front desk every day, 3 minutes before class started, with his hands on the desk and fingers interlocked. :angel:

Safin, smoking behind the bike sheds...

Flip- the lanky kid who was always falling over.!

LMAO at the Safin one.

This is my favorite.

Rex
09-09-2005, 03:30 PM
coria is that cool kind of punk. He will be the biggest dickhead on the tennis court, but u cant still liking him.

alfonsojose
09-09-2005, 05:02 PM
What does it mean? Everybody fucked him 'coz he was small :confused: ?

The Pro
09-09-2005, 08:58 PM
Well at puberty, guys are supposed to receive growth hormones so that they grow bigger.

Oli missed out...

Turkeyballs Paco
09-09-2005, 09:06 PM
Tennis needs more punks.

tangerine_dream
09-12-2005, 07:52 PM
Apologies if this has been posted before, but after Coria was sorta being bashed by Courier all week I thought this deserved a post:

Matt Cronin comes to Coria's defense.

Coria: he ain't that bad
A little more on the semi-political front: Guillermo Coria is being toasted and roasted for whining and getting into confrontations with other players. But, he's really not that bad and, unlike his Aussie counterpart, Lleyton Hewitt, whom he's often compared too, he actually smiles quite a bit. Yes, he complains too much about questionable calls, but he's not a serial fist pumper/celebrators like Hewitt, Serena Williams or Maria Sharapova. He's not that rude off court, although he keeps very much to himself. He's not really one of the boys, but who really is amongst the top male players these days, save for Andy Roddick?

Coria is getting kicked in the teeth because he was suspended for doping, three of his countrymen were suspended for doping and hid entire nation has a black mark on it. If you want to take a rip at the guy because he was once suspended, go for it, but don't kill the guy because the sometimes cantankerous Nicolas Massu was upset with him for allegedly faking an injury. He was upset with Massu for faking one, too. Neither believed the other; they exchanged some bad words and then said they would leave it at that. … One commentator is so clueless that he said that Coria was "cursing in Portuguese." If Coria is such a jerk, then why did her exchange high fives with Robby Ginepri during the fifth set of their quarterfinal after a drop shot exchange?

I remember throughout the Ginepri match that JMac and Courier were snarking and taking bets to see how long it would take before Robby ended up hating Coria, too.

Now I wonder who won that bet? :p

Clara Bow
09-12-2005, 08:14 PM
Good snippet.

I agree with Matt Cronin. Coria may have his shortcomings but he is not the monster that he is sometimes portrayed to be. And he can be really happy on court, which I like.

Raquel
09-12-2005, 10:00 PM
There is a chance that Courier isn't gay...also a chance that Flip isn't a Queen...of course, there's being gay vs. acting upon it...I think even in guy's tennis there's a problem w/guys being gay, even if one isn't Chinese American...
Is this some reference to Michael Chang? Or am I reading too much into that?

gillian
09-12-2005, 10:07 PM
One commentator is so clueless that he said that Coria was "cursing in Portuguese." If Coria is such a jerk, then why did her exchange high fives with Robby Ginepri during the fifth set of their quarterfinal after a drop shot exchange?

I remember throughout the Ginepri match that JMac and Courier were snarking and taking bets to see how long it would take before Robby ended up hating Coria, too.

Now I wonder who won that bet? :p

Thanks for posting. JMac always amuses me when he chastises other players for their on-court antics. Pot? Kettle?

Anyhoo, I tried, but I'm still not hating (or even mildly disliking Coria). In fact, I'm quite fond of the "little" fella.

The Pro
09-13-2005, 11:52 AM
I like Coria, he's a fighter and has an endearing determination about him. I think my playing style resembles his (but about 1/1000 as good).

Deea
09-13-2005, 12:04 PM
Coria is a great player! I have become a tennis fan since RG 2004 when I watched him play...I was so sad that he didn't win.... Anyway since then...FOREVER A FAN OF GUILLE...no matter what happens or what other people say...even if they are Jim Courier!!!!

boliviana
09-13-2005, 02:31 PM
Coria is in a no-win situation vis a vis how the media covers him and I don't think he cares one iota. If he did, he'd speak english and manage the press more himself. He has chosen this path. He has a rep for bad shit and then the commentators report half truths about him to stir up the fires. It's a no-win situation for fans because it's so full of shit . . . makes us nuts when we hear stuff that doesn't add up or isn't true. Coria doesn't care . . . I think he gave up and I think he thinks the media is full of shit. He cares about his fans. He cares about his game. He cares about Argentina. He has a shit-load of money for hitting a ball across a net and gets to pose for pretty pictures for Mercedes and gets to hob-nob with all of his heroes in Argentina . . . the man has a good life so why would he care what the american sports media has to say about him.

alfonsojose
09-13-2005, 02:36 PM
I like Coria, he's a fighter and has an endearing determination about him. I think my playing style resembles his (but about 1/1000 as good).
cramps :tape: ?

daze11
09-13-2005, 03:49 PM
Thanks for posting. JMac always amuses me when he chastises other players for their on-court antics. Pot? Kettle?

Anyhoo, I tried, but I'm still not hating (or even mildly disliking Coria). In fact, I'm quite fond of the "little" fella.
i think the writer misinterpreted that...mac was defending him constantly and saying 'see, he applauded that winner" and courier said, "i didnt see that." both mac brothers like coria and enjoy that he is an "ornery" guy.

daze11
09-13-2005, 03:50 PM
FOREVER A FAN OF GUILLE...no matter what happens or what other people say...even if they are Jim Courier!!!!or especially if its jim courier! :lol:

The Pro
09-13-2005, 04:31 PM
cramps :tape: ?

Well you know, now and again if things aren;t going my way...

gillian
09-14-2005, 10:18 PM
i think the writer misinterpreted that...mac was defending him constantly and saying 'see, he applauded that winner" and courier said, "i didnt see that." both mac brothers like coria and enjoy that he is an "ornery" guy.

That makes more sense, especially since JMac is fond of Hewitt & Nadal.

Federerhingis
09-15-2005, 03:03 AM
Well at puberty, guys are supposed to receive growth hormones so that they grow bigger.

Oli missed out...

Oh myyyy, I shall never disclose my height! :lol: :lol: This so mean but funny!

hitchhiker
09-15-2005, 08:32 AM
all i hope is that courier was shooting out of a shotgun at close range.

RonE
09-15-2005, 09:50 AM
He's a tiny winnie :p

So you think Willie has a tiny willie? :tape:

alfonsojose
09-15-2005, 02:35 PM
:lol: