Doubles Controversy Just About Over [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Doubles Controversy Just About Over

smucav
09-07-2005, 03:37 AM
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_tennis/2005/09/doubles_controv.htmlSeptember 06, 2005
Doubles Controversy Just About Over

The raging controversy over the future of men's doubles is virtually over after newly hired chairman of the board Etienne de Villiers delivered a very promising settlement proposal to the 45 players who last Thursday sued the ATP Tour.

The key points from de Villiers:

* Revocation of the "2008 Rule," which would have prohibited any player from participating in doubles at an ATP event who was not concurrently in the singles draw. That would have effectively killed doubles.

* Accept the several low-financial impact proposals from the players, including the hiring of a director of doubles, who would be a sort of advocate for the doubles players. Other items on that players list include requiring tournament directors to post placards on the grounds showing the doubles rankings and the doubles draw and making a full effort to promote doubles with free clinics and radio, TV and newspaper spots.

* Continue with plans for an experimental use of altered scoring for the rest of the season, beginning after the U.S. Open. That means no-ad scoring (receiving team getting choice of ad or deuce box on the seventh and final point), tiebreaks at 5-5 instead of 6-6 and super-tiebreaks is sets are one-all.

There is still a hard core of players who want to get rid of the scoring changes as well, but there appears to be a growing feeling that de Villiers is going to be reasonable to deal with in settling all the issues that have driven doubles players to sue, and they're willing to drop the suit.

Players are scheduled to meet again Wednesday with representatives of de Villiers, who is in London recovering from successful prostate cancer surgery.

Posted by Charles Bricker at 01:24 PM

Scotso
09-07-2005, 03:42 AM
I won't be satisfied with this if they keep the scoring changes. It seems clear from the willingness to deal that the doubles players are holding all the cards, they need to push to eliminate all these proposed changes while asking for even more to promote doubles, or just go through with the suit.

ae wowww
09-07-2005, 06:28 AM
They will chane them, don't worry ;)

buddyholly
09-07-2005, 11:32 AM
I heard Jimmy Arias say on TV yesterday that the new rules also would admit players to doubles tournaments BASED ON THEIR CURRENT SINGLES RANKINGS.
This is slightly less crazy than only letting players in the singles draw for any particular tournament into the doubles draw, but is still a guaranteed way to kill doubles play.
With all these suggested changes that would inevitably destroy doubles, I can only imagine that the ATP took a conscious decision to try and get rid of doubles without just being honest and saying ''We have decided to do away with doubles in tennis''.

buddyholly
09-07-2005, 11:36 AM
This would be a good time to give de Villiers a hefty kick up the ass.

SwissMister1
09-07-2005, 02:04 PM
This would be a good time to give de Villiers a hefty kick up the ass.

That wouldn't be good for his inflamed prostate...

Jimnik
09-07-2005, 02:34 PM
The problem with doubles is that none of the top singles player can or try to get involved. Top players, playing really important tournaments, are worried about their physical condition - how can they be expected to play 2 matches a day for 5 days in a row? I'm sure doubles would be a lot more popular if we saw Federer play Roddick or Safin play Nadal. I wonder if Andy would struggle against Roger in doubles as much as he does in singles.

Unfortunately, the only way to get the top players to play mor doubles is to create a bigger incentive for them. One ranking system for both singles and doubles would force the likes of Federer and Hewitt to enter the doubles tournaments.
But this will never happen so, as far as I can see, DOUBLES IS DOOMED.

Beforehand
09-07-2005, 02:45 PM
As far as I'm concerned, if I were a singles champion like Federer, I would not play doubles at all. It just wouldn't appeal to me. Even if they went to a combined ranking system, I still can't say why it would change. Nobody would be happy if Federer was playing the way he is, and then doesn't want to play doubles, and he was ranked like #4 because Nadal and the rest play doubles. What the hell?

Jimnik
09-07-2005, 02:56 PM
Federer does play doubles. He won the doubles in Halle this year partnering Yves Allegro. He beat Marat Safin in the doubles final as well as the singles - I wish I could have seen it.

He also plays Davis Cup doubles with Allegro.

Doubles is an entertaining game to watch and I'm convinced it could be more popular if changes were made.(Not the ones the ATP have made)

Mistaflava
09-07-2005, 03:16 PM
simple solution...scrap doubles tennis altogether

Beforehand
09-07-2005, 03:21 PM
Federer does play doubles. He won the doubles in Halle this year partnering Yves Allegro. He beat Marat Safin in the doubles final as well as the singles - I wish I could have seen it.

He also plays Davis Cup doubles with Allegro.

Doubles is an entertaining game to watch and I'm convinced it could be more popular if changes were made.(Not the ones the ATP have made)
Federer does not play a lot of doubles, though, when compared with Rafael Nadal. My concern is that a combined ranking like the proposed would put Rafael Nadal at number 1, because he's played more and more successful doubles on the whole.

And that wouldn't be right, IMO.

Jimnik
09-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Federer does not play a lot of doubles, though, when compared with Rafael Nadal. My concern is that a combined ranking like the proposed would put Rafael Nadal at number 1, because he's played more and more successful doubles on the whole.

And that wouldn't be right, IMO.
I know.
As I said, it would never happen. I totally understand why it might not be fair. But I can't think of better motivation for players to play doubles. They MUST be motivated to play. It's no good making a rule which forces all singles players to play doubles because they'll just loose in the 1st round on purpose (or withdraw).

keev26
09-07-2005, 04:17 PM
Has anyone seen a list of the 45 players who sued ?

Volcanic Tennis
09-07-2005, 06:39 PM
I'm confused.

What's the scoring changes as it stands now?

alfonsojose
09-07-2005, 06:41 PM
That wouldn't be good for his inflamed prostate...
And how do u know it's inflamed :devil: ?

Papakori
09-07-2005, 06:48 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha:

SwissMister1
09-07-2005, 06:58 PM

:lol: He's had too much action sleeping around to get his position of chairman of the board...

BigboyDan
09-07-2005, 08:01 PM
There is no reason for the 45 players to yield - the ATP would lose in court as they will have violated their fiduciary responsibilities to NOT harm the players abilities to make money AND bring disrepute to the game in general (scoring changes); the proposed changes en-toto would do just that...

KarstenBraasch#1
09-07-2005, 09:31 PM
No-ad scoring is the biggest idiocy ever invented. :rolleyes:

I've had to deal with it for one season and it was horrible. It doesn't make the sport in the least bit more interesting. And it doesn't even shorten the matches considerably.

This won't help doubles, it will only help to further destroy it.

buddyholly
09-07-2005, 11:09 PM

Because after they take them out they throw them in the hospital incinerator.

arcus
09-07-2005, 11:13 PM
Super tiebreaks suck period.

SwissMister1
09-08-2005, 12:25 AM
No-ad scoring is the biggest idiocy ever invented. :rolleyes:

I've had to deal with it for one season and it was horrible. It doesn't make the sport in the least bit more interesting. And it doesn't even shorten the matches considerably.

This won't help doubles, it will only help to further destroy it.

Yeah, and the receiving players are going to have to get together and talk about which side they want to receive on, so that will take up some time too. The no-ad thing actually bothers me more than the 5 games or the super tiebreak.

They already have put in the super tiebreak in the senior doubles and I believe I saw it in mixed doubles as well.