US Open QF: Who will win: Federer or Nalbandian? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

US Open QF: Who will win: Federer or Nalbandian?

Daniel
09-07-2005, 01:47 AM
I say Roger in straight sets. :rocker: :bounce: :worship:

willie
09-07-2005, 01:49 AM
i think federer
i want nalbandian
but i think if nalbandian plays 100% he is gonna make history on thursday night;)

its.like.that
09-07-2005, 01:50 AM
Nalbo

gravity
09-07-2005, 01:51 AM
Dahveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed :yeah:

its.like.that
09-07-2005, 01:53 AM
http://www.itftennis.com/mens/players/headtohead.asp?player=30015743&opponent=10019424

check this out, Nalbo already has it won.

:D:D:D:D:D

federer express
09-07-2005, 01:55 AM
sorry didn't see this poll when did mine. feel free to delete mine you moderators out there ;)

Fergie
Roger in 4

+alonso
Federer :) in 4.
( i like nalbandian but federer is playing good .. always is..:lol: )

its.like.that
09-07-2005, 01:57 AM
Federer :) in 4.
( i like nalbandian but federer is playing good .. always is..:lol: )

no, you like federer, but nalbandian is playing good

:p

Stevens Point
Roger in 3, 4, or 5!! :)

federer express
lots of people have rightly said
1. nalbandian's game gives federer major problems
2. nalbandian has a winning record against federer

hmmm...whilst point #2 is undeniably true, i am not convinced by point 1. federer did not have a dominant record or set of performances until after winning his first slam, that being wimbledon 2003. before that he was just unfulfilled potential. since that first slam, he has become a different player, improving almost out of sight (in terms of consistency), whereas nalbandian's game has for me stayed quite static.

personally i think federer will win and win quite routinely. two main reasons...
1. their respective serves
2. their respective mental strengths and weaknesses!

gooner88
09-07-2005, 01:59 AM
My heart says Nalbo but my head says Fed.
Nalbo usually thrives on the big matches and he has a real chance if Fed plays like he did today.

Nathaliia
09-07-2005, 02:00 AM
what will be? 3 sets for Federer :(

and what I wish? 3 sets for Nalbandian :)

disturb3d
09-07-2005, 02:01 AM

hmmm...whilst point #2 is undeniably true, i am not convinced by point 1. federer did not have a dominant record or set of performances until after winning his first slam, that being wimbledon 2003. before that he was just unfulfilled potential. since that first slam, he has become a different player, improving almost out of sight (in terms of consistency), whereas nalbandian's game has for me stayed quite static.David beat Roger at the '03 US Open, during Roger's reign as wimby champ.

El Legenda
09-07-2005, 02:02 AM
6-4 7-5 6-3

Roger.

federer express
09-07-2005, 02:03 AM
David beat Roger at the '03 US Open, during Roger's reign as wimby champ.

i am aware of that. first slam hangover :p

(but nalbandian has also lost 5 out of the last 6 sets they have played)

gravity
09-07-2005, 02:05 AM
My heart says Nalbo but my head says Fed.
Nalbo usually thrives on the big matches and he has a real chance if Fed plays like he did today.

I agree. David seems to lose focus when he's expected to walk all over an opponent. When he's up against one of the top players in the world, he raises his all aspects of his game and is capable of beating pretty much anyone.

My concern is the serve. He definitely has the return game to give Federer plenty of problems, but it wont matter if he's broken 2-3 times in each set.

We'll see but I have a feeling we could be treated to a classic between these two ;)

disturb3d
09-07-2005, 02:05 AM
The US Open that David beat Roger, his only slam victory of the year was Wimbledon.
Sounds a bit like 2005.

disturb3d
09-07-2005, 02:06 AM
Nalb will break Roger half a dozen times. And vice versa.

federer express
09-07-2005, 02:06 AM
The US Open that David beat Roger, his only slam victory of the year was Wimbledon.
Sounds a bit like 2005.

wishful thinking i think from you...but we shall see

federer express
09-07-2005, 02:07 AM

you got the vice versa half of it right (that doesn't make sense but i hope you know what i mean)

Shy
09-07-2005, 02:08 AM
Sounds a bit like 2005.
Except that he didn't have the consistency back in the 2003 which is a big difference between 2003 and 2005.

Daniel
09-07-2005, 02:08 AM

Some of you guys are so desperate for Federer to lose :rolleyes: :p

Lets be realistic, Nalbandian got no chance of beating Roger. :yeah:

sigmagirl91
09-07-2005, 02:09 AM
I am scared of betting on this match.

disturb3d
09-07-2005, 02:09 AM
you got the vice versa half of it right (that doesn't make sense but i hope you know what i mean)Statistically, David has the highest return game % in mens' tennis.

federer express
09-07-2005, 02:11 AM
Statistically, David has the highest return game % in mens' tennis.

that's probably because he has to focus so hard on every single service game by his opponent, as he has just lost his own serve the game before...

nkhera1
I agree. David seems to lose focus when he's expected to walk all over an opponent. When he's up against one of the top players in the world, he raises his all aspects of his game and is capable of beating pretty much anyone.

My concern is the serve. He definitely has the return game to give Federer plenty of problems, but it wont matter if he's broken 2-3 times in each set.

We'll see but I have a feeling we could be treated to a classic between these two ;)

The thing is Fed doesn't do as well against average servers. I think the reason is because big servers rely on their serve too much so once Fed blocks it back there is a good chance he can win the point whereas average servers usually have a good game to complement their serve. Fed is best at getting serves back but he never really crushes returns or put people in too difficult a situation (at least from what I've seen and feel free to correct me). If Nalbandian had a slightly bigger serve this guy would easily be in the top 5 but then again if Hewitt had more power he has a chance to be number 1 so there is no point saying if ....

Billy Moonshine
I want David to win. If he does, I won't be surprised considering David's talent and the way he plays against top players. However Fed is gonna be ready and unless he has a bad day he should win in 4.

megadeth
09-07-2005, 02:13 AM
http://www.itftennis.com/mens/players/headtohead.asp?player=30015743&opponent=10019424

check this out, Nalbo already has it won.

:D:D:D:D:D

totally irrelevant since those wins by nalbo came before fed's domination days.

disturb3d
09-07-2005, 02:14 AM
that's probably because he has to focus so hard on every single service game by his opponent, as he has just lost his own serve the game before...Justification aside.
David's returns drop at the net, Roger won't have the comfort of serve & volleying.

gooner88
09-07-2005, 02:16 AM
Statistically, David has the highest return game % in mens' tennis.

And it needs to be considering Nalbo's serving problems.

gravity
09-07-2005, 02:21 AM
The thing is Fed doesn't do as well against average servers. I think the reason is because big servers rely on their serve too much so once Fed blocks it back there is a good chance he can win the point whereas average servers usually have a good game to complement their serve. Fed is best at getting serves back but he never really crushes returns or put people in too difficult a situation (at least from what I've seen and feel free to correct me). If Nalbandian had a slightly bigger serve this guy would easily be in the top 5 but then again if Hewitt had more power he has a chance to be number 1 so there is no point saying if ....

Forget top 5 the guy would be a number two in the world at worst with a serve. :mad: But we've been discussing it for a couple years or more. I think it's got the point where you have to accept a big dependable serve is never going to be a big part of Nalbandians armoury.

DDrago2
09-07-2005, 02:22 AM
Phew, at least we are not watching Fed-Sanguinetti match - Federer would send the old man right to the grave

It will be so interesting to see if Nalbandian is realy a trouble for Federer, or he was only before Federer matured! I think the FIRST is the case, because Federer's last win 2004 A.Open was very tight. But I may be wrong... We will see!

Ofcourse Federer is the favourite. On paper - with Nalby, you never know...

Björki
09-07-2005, 06:01 AM
David :bounce:

oneandonlyhsn
09-07-2005, 06:05 AM
C'mon Fed :rocker:

sorry Nalby :smooch: just coz I know you will lose to Hewitt if you beat Fed

bad gambler
09-07-2005, 06:11 AM
Nalby in 4 :D

Neely
09-07-2005, 06:13 AM
Please Nalbandian, beat Federer! :rocker2: Would be something new if Federer wouldn't win everything... :rolleyes:

Action Jackson
09-07-2005, 06:20 AM
Here is the thing that worries me is that if Nalbandian beats Federer, is that he will waste his chance of winning a Slam.

He can do it for sure and there is a bit feeling between these two, so that should make it interesting, well it won't be long to we find out and as for Nalbandian's serve, well he doesn't need to serve bombs, just needs to place it better and don't hit short serves, it's not always pace that does the trick.

JBrocks
09-07-2005, 06:36 AM
vamos Nalbandian

Art&Soul
09-07-2005, 06:40 AM
Hopp ROGI :bounce: , we believe in U :banana:

yanchr
09-07-2005, 06:45 AM
Here is the thing that worries me is that if Nalbandian beats Federer, is that he will waste his chance of winning a Slam.
Yeah, I'm worrying the same :rolleyes: Of course I want Roger to win, but it's really hard to say, on the basis of Roger's :retard: play against Kiefer :rolleyes:
Nalby has a chance there. And I hope if he wins against Roger, he can go all the way to take the title, which I actually highly doubt. So or else, just let Roger do his share ;) :p

landoud
09-07-2005, 06:45 AM
rogiiiiiiiii

mickymouse
09-07-2005, 06:59 AM
Nalbandian does have a winning record against Federer, but that was back in 2002 and 2003. He lost the last 2 encounters with him, and was bagelled in the Masters Cup in 2003, which means that if Federer is in good form, Nalbandian has no chance with a serve like his.
That said, I'll still like to see him challenge and beat Federer so that Agassi can retire with a Slam. :)

Doris Loeffel
09-07-2005, 07:08 AM
Sounds a bit like 2005.

Your right in one part that also in 2003 Roger "only" won Wimby - but you keep forgetting that Nalby beat Roger where he still wasn't mentally that though as he is now. Couse he played him before Houston where Roger beat AA in the first round - and that's where it all made click to Roger!!

And that's why I have faith in Roger even though it's going to be a though match

Good luck Roger!!

Action Jackson
09-07-2005, 07:18 AM
Nalbandian does have a winning record against Federer, but that was back in 2002 and 2003. He lost the last 2 encounters with him, and was bagelled in the Masters Cup in 2003, which means that if Federer is in good form, Nalbandian has no chance with a serve like his.
That said, I'll still like to see him challenge and beat Federer so that Agassi can retire with a Slam. :)

Did you see the last match between them? Nalbandian and wasted opportunities were abound in that match, yes he got killed in Houston, but he gave Federer headaches in the AO quarter final and was his toughest match of the tournament by far.

Action Jackson
09-07-2005, 07:21 AM
Yeah, I'm worrying the same :rolleyes: Of course I want Roger to win, but it's really hard to say, on the basis of Roger's :retard: play against Kiefer :rolleyes:
Nalby has a chance there. And I hope if he wins against Roger, he can go all the way to take the title, which I actually highly doubt. So or else, just let Roger do his share ;) :p

Both of these players know they have to improve and the fact that are playing each other will be enough for them to lift their game, though conditions on the day may play a part.

Actually I hope Nalle is written off in the press and by most people as fodder, as he'll have a better chance of winning, though if one of these takes the title then it's fine with me.

skel1983
09-07-2005, 08:17 AM
David beat Roger at the '03 US Open, during Roger's reign as wimby champ.

Federer didn't become the force he was till masters cup of that year, even Roddick beat him after Wimby 03!!!

In that Masters Cup i am sure Federer won one of the sets to love and the other t0 3 6-3 6-0, he also beat him at AO 04, so since the Federer reign it's 2-0 to Federer, so i truly believe the problems Federer has with Nalbandian are over and Federer will win this match.

I don't see many players beating other players they have problems with to love!!!

jtipson
09-07-2005, 10:00 AM
what will be? 3 sets for Federer :(

and what I wish? 3 sets for Nalbandian :)

What I wish: 3 sets for Federer :)

What it will be: 5 sets and could go either way

mandoura
09-07-2005, 10:07 AM
i am aware of that. first slam hangover :p

(but nalbandian has also lost 5 out of the last 6 sets they have played)

Did I ever tell you I like you a lot and love your reasonning? :lol:

Viken01
09-07-2005, 10:15 AM
nalby will win this match :D

vincayou
09-07-2005, 11:04 AM
Federer and easily. :)

Art&Soul
09-07-2005, 11:28 AM
Federer and easily. :)
COOL :)

Black Adam
09-07-2005, 12:41 PM
David Nalbandian :rocker2: :rocker2:

gooner88
09-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Federer didn't become the force he was till masters cup of that year, even Roddick beat him after Wimby 03!!!

In that Masters Cup i am sure Federer won one of the sets to love and the other t0 3 6-3 6-0, he also beat him at AO 04, so since the Federer reign it's 2-0 to Federer, so i truly believe the problems Federer has with Nalbandian are over and Federer will win this match.

I don't see many players beating other players they have problems with to love!!!

Nalbo had serious wrist problems at that TMC Match and Fed was on fire that day.
Their Aussie Open match last year was tight but Fed just won more big points. I always felt that the winner of that match would win the tournament because they were the two in form players at that time.

1sun
09-07-2005, 12:55 PM
lets go roger

Action Jackson
09-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Their Aussie Open match last year was tight but Fed just won more big points. I always felt that the winner of that match would win the tournament because they were the two in form players at that time.

I can see the match being similar to this one, but a lot of things can happen in this. I just want a good match and that's all.

pravda
09-07-2005, 01:53 PM
I think Nalbandian will win this match. Federer is not at his best yet and of course he could switch on a show stopping performance but I have the feeling Nalbandian will relish this challenge and cause the upset. Vamos Dahvid

its.like.that
09-07-2005, 02:03 PM
totally irrelevant since those wins by nalbo came before fed's domination days.

:retard:

nice way not to take everything literally...

:haha:

its.like.that
09-07-2005, 02:05 PM
C'mon Fed :rocker:

sorry Nalby :smooch: just coz I know you will lose to Hewitt if you beat Fed

yer, that worries me as well :unsure:

I would throw up if it was a Hewitt-Agassi final.

:dog:

Jimnik
09-07-2005, 02:11 PM
Depends which Federer turns up.
The one who played Kiefer would be taken to 5 sets but might win anyway.
The one who played Hewitt, in last year's final, would win in straight sets.
Nalbandian's game only matched up well against Fed in 2003, when Roger served and volleyed too often.

Action Jackson
09-07-2005, 02:11 PM
yer, that worries me as well :unsure:

I would throw up if it was a Hewitt-Agassi final.

:dog:

Not as much as I would, though I'd have to support Hewitt. Lets cross that bridge when we come to it.

its.like.that
09-07-2005, 02:13 PM
Not as much as I would, though I'd have to support Hewitt. Lets cross that bridge when we come to it.

time for a thread addressing the matter.

RogiFan88
09-07-2005, 02:43 PM
the longer the match goes, the more it favours Nalby

stebs
09-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Federer will win it 6-2 5-7 7-6 6-3

landoud
09-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Federer will win it 6-2 5-7 7-6 6-3
i like that :yeah:

LLeytonRules
09-07-2005, 03:22 PM
I have Roger winning in straight sets, thats if he is serving like he should be.He was putrid against Kiefer.

6-3, 6-4, 7-5

rofe
09-07-2005, 03:31 PM
If Fed comes out flat like he did against Kiefer, it will be in 4 but if he wakes up, he will win in 3.

lorenz
09-07-2005, 03:35 PM
My vote was for Nalbandian but, it is an unracional vote.
I want him to win, but I doubt it.
Good Luck David

Black Adam
09-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Depends which Federer turns up.
The one who played Kiefer would be taken to 5 sets but might win anyway.
The one who played Hewitt, in last year's final, would win in straight sets.
Nalbandian's game only matched up well against Fed in 2003, when Roger served and volleyed too often.
If this is an excuse for David's 5 wins against Fed :rolleyes: its total :bs:
The reason David won is because he was the better player back there.
But on Thursday they will play a great match because both are looking forward to it:yeah:
Go David and go and win the tourney:rocker2: :banana:

User id 7816
09-07-2005, 04:22 PM
too bad that couldnt be the semifinal....I wish Nalbandian would win but I can imagine Roger being 2-5 down to him is quite keen on beating him, so I think its gonna be a tough battle! either of them in 5 sets!! but if David wins, he better win the whole thing! :)

Sjengster
09-07-2005, 07:15 PM
Of course Nalbandian can do it again, this is one of the toughest match-ups for Federer on tour and it will not be getting any easier. Federer needs to serve the lights out to have a chance of winning; I don't just mean plenty of first serves in to set up the point, I mean going for the outright service winner as much as possible. At their AO match last year Nalbandian had 5-5, 15-40 and Federer came up with four aces in a row to hold serve - that's the kind of serving he needs, to stop Nalbandian getting his racquet on the ball. From the baseline Fat Dave outplayed him for a lot of the match, it's just that on the key points Federer managed to be more consistent than he had in previous encounters and thus Nalbandian eventually coughed up the error because of scoreline pressure.

That was a tight match and has some basis for their future meetingss, because although it wasn't a classic both players played reasonably well. I don't give much credence to that TMC victory, where Nalbandian didn't bother to show up on court. Anyone who thinks that 6-3, 6-0 scoreline was all down to Federer's brilliance needs to ask themselves how many times he will ever lose three games against one of the best returners on tour with less than 50% first serves going in for the entire match, which was his statistic that day. He was more solid than he had been in the past against Nalbandian, more off-pace balls and better constructed rallies, but he was being beaten to the punch in terms of UE; Nalbandian had nearly 30 in two short sets, I recall. Not the same tomorrow.

I echo the hopes of others that the winner of this match takes the tournament, but I admit I'm still going for Federer - and not just because I have a horrible feeling Nalbandian could play a stinker against either Hewitt or Agassi in the next couple of rounds. Federer needs to have his backhand in good working order, because Nalbandian will be rallying to it all night long, and if any part of his game is at the same level it was against Kiefer, he'll be thumped. Different match-up, since Naba doesn't mix up the pace as much or charge the net like Kiefer does, but championship winning form has to be produced NOW. I really can't make a prediction, I just know that it'll be a close match and there will be plenty of service breaks throughout.

federer express
09-07-2005, 07:17 PM
it makes me laugh a bit when people say federer only beats nalbandian because he plays the big points better.
isn't that what top-level tennis is all about?

alelysafina
09-07-2005, 07:22 PM
Nalby's weak mentally, that's what will be his demise. He will miss a drop shot, or a forehand in the second set and give the match to Federer on a silver platter.

rofe
09-07-2005, 07:28 PM
I echo the hopes of others that the winner of this match takes the tournament, but I admit I'm still going for Federer - and not just because I have a horrible feeling Nalbandian could play a stinker against either Hewitt or Agassi in the next couple of rounds. Federer needs to have his backhand in good working order, because Nalbandian will be rallying to it all night long, and if any part of his game is at the same level it was against Kiefer, he'll be thumped. Different match-up, since Naba doesn't mix up the pace as much or charge the net like Kiefer does, but championship winning form has to be produced NOW. I really can't make a prediction, I just know that it'll be a close match and there will be plenty of service breaks throughout.

I know you are a Fed fan but I am more optimistic than you are. Yes, Fed did not play well initially against Kiefer but he raised his game when push came to shove. Kiefer basically prevented Roger from getting into any kind of rhythm (smart play from Kiefer) by reducing/increasing the pace of his ground strokes, coming to the net, serving bombs etc. and yet Roger got a win.

To paraphrase Pete Sampras, the difference between Fed and Nalby is 5 grand slams. Fed will find a way to win even if he is not playing well. It may be an ugly win but a win nevertheless.

Sjengster
09-07-2005, 07:28 PM
it makes me laugh a bit when people say federer only beats nalbandian because he plays the big points better.
isn't that what top-level tennis is all about?

Yes, but matching up badly with your opponent means you're not as likely to play the big points better, obviously Federer didn't the first five times they met. In that AO match last year he relied to an amazing extent on his serve, more than he does against other top players; it got him out of tricky situations time and time again, and he was hitting it harder than I've ever seen before or since. What I'm trying to say is, two wins in a row doesn't mean that Federer has turned around the series completely, especially since they haven't met in over 18 months; he hasn't had the opportunity to get on top of Nalbandian like he has Hewitt, Agassi, Henman et al.

I'm just wondering whether Federer will be stupid enough to serve-volley on every first serve like he did here two years ago and watch low returns and passing shots go flying past him all match long.

federer express
09-07-2005, 07:30 PM
I'm just wondering whether Federer will be stupid enough to serve-volley on every first serve like he did here two years ago and watch low returns and passing shots go flying past him all match long.

i can answer that...no!

federer express
09-07-2005, 07:31 PM
and federer always serves incredibly well when he is in trouble in his service games. that is very normal for him.
federer has improved considerably over the last 18 months, not least mentally. has nalbandian? i dont think so but we will soon find out...

rofe
09-07-2005, 07:31 PM

I don't think so. If you remember, he came in to the net more times than I care to remember against Santoro and yet he barely came to the net against Kiefer. He obviously had more respect for Kiefer's passing shots. I don't think Fed forgets tactical mistakes that easily..

Sjengster
09-07-2005, 07:33 PM
But 20 aces in 4 sets, against Nalbandian? That was exceptional stuff. I'm not suggesting it was a completely one-off serving performance, but he will need to produce something that good again to beat him this time. And the Kiefer match didn't encourage me, his serve was abysmal at the start of the match, he just got lucky that Kiefer was serving even worse.

federer express
09-07-2005, 07:38 PM
But 20 aces in 4 sets, against Nalbandian? That was exceptional stuff. I'm not suggesting it was a completely one-off serving performance, but he will need to produce something that good again to beat him this time. And the Kiefer match didn't encourage me, his serve was abysmal at the start of the match, he just got lucky that Kiefer was serving even worse.

you seem to be expecting federer to be poor and nalbandian to be excellent. never expect nalbandian to perform well because he is likely not to. for me the key will be that federer has a shot at breaking nalbandian in every service game of his. i dont think the same can be said for nalbandian on federer's serve. plus...federer just expects to win now, which he may not have done when they met at the AO 2004. he is genuinely surprised every time he loses a match these days. so federer has it for me...

Sjengster
09-07-2005, 07:49 PM
I ALWAYS expect Nalbandian to perform well against Federer, the TMC match was the exception, not the rule. And I admit, I have a hard time imagining that Federer will suddenly be able to produce brilliant form after his display yesterday. I really don't think he played badly at all against Santoro and Rochus, they just tested him as much as they could with their games, but the Kiefer match was definitely a poor performance. Federer had better show that he knows how to handle the Nalbandian serve, to return aggressively and get himself into those games - a serve like that, placed in the box and asking you to do something with it, is much harder for him to handle than a big delivery where he has to rely on instinct to block it back into play.

federer express
09-07-2005, 08:03 PM
everybody including myself places too much emphasis on how fed plays when he wins. ultimately it's pretty irrelevant because he still manages to get the win and draws even more confidence and resolve from it.

the facts are that federer can play badly. all champions have done so. yet, even when playing badly, beating him is just as difficult for his opponents as it was for those guys playing sampras or lendl. if you assume it's 90% mental, then nalbandian has a 10% chance of winning this match.

Dirk
09-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Yes, but matching up badly with your opponent means you're not as likely to play the big points better, obviously Federer didn't the first five times they met. In that AO match last year he relied to an amazing extent on his serve, more than he does against other top players; it got him out of tricky situations time and time again, and he was hitting it harder than I've ever seen before or since. What I'm trying to say is, two wins in a row doesn't mean that Federer has turned around the series completely, especially since they haven't met in over 18 months; he hasn't had the opportunity to get on top of Nalbandian like he has Hewitt, Agassi, Henman et al.

It wasn't his first serve and volley that killed him. Those numbers were very healthy but he was doing it too much on his 2nd serve. Thankfully we won't have to witness him losing because of that tactic. This is the match roger needs to get his ass in gear. I think he will step it up. David also needs to play a high level to win, Roger isn't the only one who has been iffy in this event.

Dirk
09-07-2005, 08:22 PM
I ALWAYS expect Nalbandian to perform well against Federer, the TMC match was the exception, not the rule. And I admit, I have a hard time imagining that Federer will suddenly be able to produce brilliant form after his display yesterday. I really don't think he played badly at all against Santoro and Rochus, they just tested him as much as they could with their games, but the Kiefer match was definitely a poor performance. Federer had better show that he knows how to handle the Nalbandian serve, to return aggressively and get himself into those games - a serve like that, placed in the box and asking you to do something with it, is much harder for him to handle than a big delivery where he has to rely on instinct to block it back into play.

I agree. Kiefer was his only bad match and Kiefer did very well to make him look bad but Roger also didn't help his cause.

Douggie Style
09-07-2005, 11:10 PM
Mr. Federer in straight sets

federer express
09-09-2005, 12:03 AM

hmmm...whilst point #2 is undeniably true, i am not convinced by point 1. federer did not have a dominant record or set of performances until after winning his first slam, that being wimbledon 2003. before that he was just unfulfilled potential. since that first slam, he has become a different player, improving almost out of sight (in terms of consistency), whereas nalbandian's game has for me stayed quite static.

personally i think federer will win and win quite routinely. two main reasons...
1. their respective serves
2. their respective mental strengths and weaknesses!

damn its hard work being right all the time :p lol

federer express
09-09-2005, 12:06 AM
. if you assume it's 90% mental, then nalbandian has a 10% chance of winning this match.

i admit i was wrong here...more like 2%

federer express
09-09-2005, 12:08 AM
[QUOTE=federer express]you seem to be expecting federer to be poor and nalbandian to be excellent. never expect nalbandian to perform well because he is likely not to. for me the key will be that federer has a shot at breaking nalbandian in every service game of his. i dont think the same can be said for nalbandian on federer's serve. [QUOTE]

:worship: :worship: :worship:

dont worry, am just taking the piss here

federer express
09-09-2005, 12:13 AM
and federer always serves incredibly well when he is in trouble in his service games. that is very normal for him.

he proves the point again

Phunkadelicious
09-09-2005, 12:14 AM
I'd love to see Nalby win but I don't think that that's gonna happen :(

I say 6-2 6-3 6-7 6-1

of course predicting the first set isn't too hard right now

Duncan
09-09-2005, 12:33 AM
that last rally was amazing

R.Federer
09-09-2005, 12:55 AM
Early on it looked promiseing. Now it looks no contest. david- what has happened? only 5 winners. Roge has 25 or something.

federer express
09-09-2005, 01:00 AM
Early on it looked promiseing. Now it looks no contest. david- what has happened? only 5 winners. Roge has 25 or something.

federer is simply in a different league from this guy and has been for the last 2 years...

Phunkadelicious
09-09-2005, 01:01 AM
Looks to me like Nalby never thought he could pull this off. :(

federer express
09-09-2005, 01:02 AM
Looks to me like Nalby never thought he could pull this off. :(

who did think he could?

Duncan
09-09-2005, 01:05 AM
federer is simply in a different league from this guy and has been for the last 2 years...

very true

in a different league to just about everyone on the atp tour in the past 2 years though!

asotgod
09-09-2005, 01:05 AM
Federer is too good. David used to exploit Federer's backhand so well before but it has really improved. Federer also used to be stupid serving and volleying a lot against Davide and getting impatient because he felt then that he could not hang with some of the best baseliners at the baseline. Now, it is different. Davide simply does not have anything to hurt Federer.

federer express
09-09-2005, 01:08 AM
personally i think federer will win and win quite routinely.

i think this qualifies as routinely! dont know why people expected anything but this.

mangoes
09-09-2005, 01:08 AM
Roger has raised the level of his game from his previous matches at this Open.

So, does he play at such a low level early in a tournament on purpose?

federer express
09-09-2005, 01:10 AM
very true

in a different league to just about everyone on the atp tour in the past 2 years though!

true but there was this feeling on this board that nalbandian was gonna take him...

how? why?

nalbandian's wins against federer in the past are just that...in the past. roger will turn this head-to-head around very quickly if they play often enough

federer express
09-09-2005, 01:11 AM
Federer is too good. David used to exploit Federer's backhand so well before but it has really improved. Federer also used to be stupid serving and volleying a lot against Davide and getting impatient because he felt then that he could not hang with some of the best baseliners at the baseline. Now, it is different. Davide simply does not have anything to hurt Federer.

which is what anyone who has been watching the two players of the last 2 years should have been thinking before the match...
this score is not a surprise at all to me

Corey Feldman
09-09-2005, 01:15 AM
you are just too good for him Roger :yeah:

federer express
09-09-2005, 01:16 AM
but nalbandian has also lost 5 out of the last 6 sets they have played

make that 8 out of 9

Phunkadelicious
09-09-2005, 01:19 AM
So if he can pull this out without being broken here, would this qualify as a statement match?

mangoes
09-09-2005, 01:33 AM
So if he can pull this out without being broken here, would this qualify as a statement match?

I'd say he most definitely sent a statement to Hewitt and Agassi...........sorry Nalby had to be the messanger.

sigmagirl91
09-09-2005, 01:42 AM
true but there was this feeling on this board that nalbandian was gonna take him...

how? why?

nalbandian's wins against federer in the past are just that...in the past. roger will turn this head-to-head around very quickly if they play often enough

For once, I actually agree with you. Roger has just about everyone figured out. He's a class above and beyond everyone else in the field-and that's got to help his chances for a repeat here.

NYCtennisfan
09-09-2005, 01:44 AM
It's a totally different Roger compared the Roger that Nalby beat before. That was an insecure FEd with an inconsistent BH. NOw he really has no weaknesses and you could tell after Roger broke Nalby the first time that he thought he could break him whenever he wanted to and he basically did.

Scotso
09-09-2005, 04:25 AM
Nalbandian played like @#^%. But no surprise, really.

landoud
09-09-2005, 05:57 AM
expected win ... unexpected result