Nalbandian defeats Sanguinetti 4-6; 7-6; 6-4; 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nalbandian defeats Sanguinetti 4-6; 7-6; 6-4; 6-2

mangoes
09-06-2005, 11:33 PM
Anyone watching this match? What's happening? USA isn't showing the match. I expected Nalbandian to run away with this match.

AnnabelLee
09-06-2005, 11:34 PM
Anyone watching this match? What's happening? USA isn't showing the match. I expected Nalbandian to run away with this match.

Never expect anything from him.

chels231
09-06-2005, 11:34 PM
Sanguinetti is a legend! Hope he can win :D

Shabazza
09-06-2005, 11:35 PM
another 5 setter, what else ;)
you're pretty fast btw.

tennyfan
The battle of the nice guys. A shame USA isn't showing it. I don't think Sanguinetti has enough in him to beat Nalbandian. I think David will come back in the end.

rofe

Me too but I am not surprised though. I won't be surprised actually if Nalby loses this or takes it in 5 sets either. I am rooting for a Nalby win though.

mishar
Why do you expect Sanguinetti to run away with it? He plays in a very tough style for most of the players. He strings his racquets so loose it's unbelievable.

Meanwhile, Nalbandian has been totally out-of-form. His win over Gonzo was good, but he played like crap against Wessels.

nobama
Since Roger's drawn nasty Kiwi three times in a row now the tennis gods have decided to be nice to him and give him an easier QF? Or Nalbandian has lost his head. :shrug:

henree
Typican Nalbandian. He is a brain dead idiot. Its for the best though. If you can't hold serve. Then you have no chance against Fed.

Skyward
09-06-2005, 11:36 PM
No surprise. I put all my vcash on Nalby. :sad: :lol:

Neely
09-06-2005, 11:36 PM
Nalbandian is too defensive and too tentative. He has all the swings to make pressure and to send Sanguinetti around with strong shots from left to right.

nobama
09-06-2005, 11:37 PM
another 5 setter, what else ;)
you're pretty fast btw.Good, Roger likes it when his opponents play 5 setters. Hopefully whomever it is will be good and tired when they face Rogi on Thursday.

mishar
09-06-2005, 11:37 PM
I really hope Nalby wins, I'd love to see him against Fed, but I wouldn't count Sanguinetti out.

mangoes
09-06-2005, 11:38 PM
No surprise. I put all my vcash on Nalby. :sad: :lol:

lololol.................well it's not over yet..............I was debating putting something on this match cause I thought it is a sure thing, but in the end Nalbandian makes me too nervous.............lol

mangoes
09-06-2005, 11:39 PM
Good, Roger likes it when his opponents play 5 setters. Hopefully whomever it is will be good and tired when they face Rogi on Thursday.

I'm hoping too.................. ;)

MissMoJo
09-06-2005, 11:40 PM
it's only the 1st set :shrug:

Shabazza
09-06-2005, 11:41 PM
Good, Roger likes it when his opponents play 5 setters. Hopefully whomever it is will be good and tired when they face Rogi on Thursday.
every match with Sanguinetti will last a long time - the first set alone was 50 mins, with 6:4 - they'll probably still playing, when both women matches are over ;)

mangoes
09-06-2005, 11:43 PM
every match with Sanguinetti will last a long time - the first set alone was 50 mins, with 6:4 - they'll probably still playing, when both women matches are over ;)

I wish I had a choice in which match I could see. I'd rather watch Nalbandian and Sanguinetti than Petrova many unforced mistakes and Sharapova :devil:

megadeth
09-06-2005, 11:43 PM
nalby just being nalby i guess

nobama
09-06-2005, 11:49 PM
womens tennis sucks. Anyone who watched Justine last night would agree.

Stevens Point
09-06-2005, 11:50 PM
I think the majority of people expected that Roddick would win against Muller, but he lost in straight sets...

Things can happen.

mangoes
09-06-2005, 11:51 PM
womens tennis sucks. Anyone who watched Justine last night would agree.

Right now I'd like to be in the crowd and shout out to Petrova..........WHY ARE YOU PLAYING TENNIS?? BECAUSE YOU COULD NOT SUCK ANYMORE.

But the match last night wasn't as bad as this one. Justine was injured and Mary Pierce did play good. In addition to that, Justine did put up a good fight. Heck, I even clapped for some points.

adee-gee
09-06-2005, 11:53 PM
I'm watching.....As much as I don't rate Sanguinetti, he's playing very well :eek:

He's brought out a surprisingly big serve whenever he's needed it, and has just looked very good out there. His backhand has always been good, his forehand has been terrible its whole career but all of a sudden he seems to be hitting it pretty well. Davide is simply the better player at the minute, don't ask me how :shrug:

mangoes
09-06-2005, 11:54 PM
I'm watching.....As much as I don't rate Sanguinetti, he's playing very well :eek:

He's brought out a surprisingly big serve whenever he's needed it, and has just looked very good out there. His backhand has always been good, his forehand has been terrible its whole career but all of a sudden he seems to be hitting it pretty well. Davide is simply the better player at the minute, don't ask me how :shrug:

Looks like he took a little something from that match the other night...........lolol

PamV
09-06-2005, 11:57 PM
I wish I had a choice in which match I could see. I'd rather watch Nalbandian and Sanguinetti than Petrova many unforced mistakes and Sharapova :devil:
ITA. Sharapova's matches have been like shooting fish in a barrel so far. Her draw has been easy.

Pheobo
09-06-2005, 11:57 PM
Go Davide S!

mandoura
09-07-2005, 12:03 AM
Right now I'd like to be in the crowd and shout out to Petrova..........WHY ARE YOU PLAYING TENNIS?? BECAUSE YOU COULD NOT SUCK ANYMORE.

But the match last night wasn't as bad as this one. Justine was injured and Mary Pierce did play good. In addition to that, Justine did put up a good fight. Heck, I even clapped for some points.

I really don't understand why everytime someone beats Justine it has to be because she was injured? If she was then she should not have played. I think Mary played EXTREMELY well and deserved to win because of this and not because of Justine was injured.

I enjoyed the match, specially the 1st set.

Sorry, but I really don't like to take away anything from the winner. It is pretty annoying.

mishar
09-07-2005, 12:05 AM
Whether in jured or not, Justine sucked. I mean, 10 df?

Sanguinetti apparently strings his racquets at 37 lbs --- for comparisons sake, Pete used to string at 81 lbs and the average recreational player around 55-60

mangoes
09-07-2005, 12:10 AM
I really don't understand why everytime someone beats Justine it has to be because she was injured? If she was then she should not have played. I think Mary played EXTREMELY well and deserved to win because of this and not because of Justine was injured.

I enjoyed the match, specially the 1st set.

Sorry, but I really don't like to take away anything from the winner. It is pretty annoying.

I'm the first one to jump on the bandwagon about not using injury to defend a player...................however, I mentioned injury because I think Mary referred to Justine not feeling well in her interview.

PamV
09-07-2005, 12:13 AM
Sanguinetti beat Nalbandian in their one and only prior match. That was in 2000 on HC in Ecuador.

its.like.that
09-07-2005, 12:14 AM
VAMOS DAVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDD

mandoura
09-07-2005, 12:17 AM
I'm the first one to jump on the bandwagon about not using injury to defend a player...................however, I mentioned injury because I think Mary referred to Justine not feeling well in her interview.

OK :) .

The reason the "injury" comment bothers me is rather personal. My son plays tennis competitively and on several occasions when he has pretty unexpected/good wins, the opponent usually attributes it to being injured :mad: . They don't admit they were just outplayed by a younger player.

ugotlobbed
09-07-2005, 12:19 AM
sanguinetti is a fake remmeber what he did with paradorn, faking being tired, i hope this old fart falls and breaks his neck

its.like.that
09-07-2005, 12:19 AM
Sanguinetti beat Nalbandian in their one and only prior match. That was in 2000 on HC in Ecuador.

in that case, Sangui will definitely win...

TheBoiledEgg
09-07-2005, 12:20 AM
obviously he's been on MTF and read how Roger would beat him on crutches
so he wants to make it happen.

quite scary how Davide goes on a good run out of the blue every 100 yrs or so.

1sun
09-07-2005, 12:21 AM
whoever plays roger out of these two, if they play the way they are playing now, then they will get ripped apart

TheBoiledEgg
09-07-2005, 12:23 AM

wasnt he older than he is now :lol:

oneandonlyhsn
09-07-2005, 12:23 AM
Nalby :rolleyes: get your shit together

mangoes
09-07-2005, 12:31 AM
OK :) .

The reason the "injury" comment bothers me is rather personal. My son plays tennis competitively and on several occasions when he has pretty unexpected/good wins, the opponent usually attributes it to being injured :mad: . They don't admit they were just outplayed by a younger player.

This is a little off topic, but just plain rich with laughter..................I just listened to the commentators on USA claim that the reason Sharapova hasn't been doing so well is because she has grown a couple of inches............. Will they ever stop making excuses for this girl not winning the last couple of grandslams as per their predictions.

Shabazza
09-07-2005, 12:33 AM
sanguinetti is a fake remmeber what he did with paradorn, faking being tired, i hope this old fart falls and breaks his neck
:retard:

willie
09-07-2005, 12:33 AM

:haha:
:yeah:

niko
09-07-2005, 12:35 AM
It's 1:1

mangoes
09-07-2005, 12:35 AM
Well Nalby just won the second and they have been playing for nearly two hours............I guess this will take a couple of hours.

mandoura
09-07-2005, 12:36 AM
This is a little off topic, but just plain rich with laughter..................I just listened to the commentators on USA claim that the reason Sharapova hasn't been doing so well is because she has grown a couple of inches............. Will they ever stop making excuses for this girl not winning the last couple of grandslams as per their predictions.

:topic:

:lol: I know I should be wiser but this stuff really gets to me, it really annoys me :lol:.

Daniel
09-07-2005, 12:37 AM
Well Nalby just won the second and they have been playing for nearly two hours............I guess this will take a couple of hours.

the longer it takes the better for Federer :D :bounce: :worship:

niko
09-07-2005, 12:37 AM
Astalavista Sanguinetti :wavey: and bring it on Roger! :devil:

oneandonlyhsn
09-07-2005, 12:38 AM
David :bounce:

Billy Moonshine
09-07-2005, 12:38 AM
If Nalby loses and Fed plays Davide, well, I'll be so frustrated! Nalby has the talent but freaks out too often and forgets how to play well, like against Hanescu at RG. He should be top three, multiple GS finalist by now but for whatever reason he loses too often to guys he shouldnt and so never gets to challenge Fed and inject some much needed competetion into mens tennis because as has been said on mtf for ages now, he is potentially one of his rivals.
Please nalby find your game and fulfil ur potential!

PamV
09-07-2005, 12:41 AM

That comment made me wonder if they are feeding Sharapova growth hormones. She's near 6'3" and still growing? Soon she will be too tall to play tennis.

amierin
09-07-2005, 12:41 AM

This comment drove me back to the boards. They were dogging Petrova for not having a "big win" yet when they go over the blonde hype's resume it sounds remarkably similar to Petrova's minus the fluke Wimby win.

Sorry to go off topic.

I'd rather see the battle of David and Davide.

Daniel
09-07-2005, 12:44 AM
This comment drove me back to the boards. They were dogging Petrova for not having a "big win" yet when they go over the blonde hype's resume it sounds remarkably similar to Petrova's minus the fluke Wimby win.

Sorry to go off topic.

Petrova :fiery: just came back in 1set to lose it easily in the last game :smash:

mangoes
09-07-2005, 12:45 AM
Petrova is an IDIOT............I truly don't know how she has managed her present ranking.

Sharapova's popularity is due to her looks, nothing else.

mishar
09-07-2005, 12:47 AM
How can you say Petrova and Sharapova have the same resume? Petrova has never won a single title at any level and Sharapova has won I don't know 9 or 10.

I wish they'd show the Davids instead of this boring match.

naiwen
09-07-2005, 12:51 AM
I want to watch this match too. Hope Nalbandian can get through.

I don't understand why people like to see Sharapova making so much noise on court (at least those TV stations expect people like to watch her match)? BTW, her dad looks ... :tape:

mangoes
09-07-2005, 12:52 AM

I don't understand why people like to see Sharapova making so much noise on court (at least those TV stations expect people like to watch her match)? BTW, her dad looks ... :tape:

It turns some on................

willie
09-07-2005, 01:13 AM
Federer v Nalbandian is going to be a GREAT match to watch!!!:cool:

niko
09-07-2005, 01:13 AM
That comment made me wonder if they are feeding Sharapova growth hormones. She's near 6'3" and still growing? Soon she will be too tall to play tennis.
I think you right look at Uri Sharapov he is a little guy :retard: never seen her mother if she has one

oneandonlyhsn
09-07-2005, 01:18 AM
It turns some on................

http://www.sosnovska-symposium.com/smilies/puke.gif

oneandonlyhsn
09-07-2005, 01:19 AM
How can you say Petrova and Sharapova have the same resume? Petrova has never won a single title at any level and Sharapova has won I don't know 9 or 10.

I wish they'd show the Davids instead of this boring match.

Which ones this year Tier 3, last year Wimby was a fluke thanks to Davnport choking and YEC she was losing until Serena picked up her injury and couldnt move

niko
09-07-2005, 01:21 AM

She has not been making any noise in the second set and it may have to do with the additional ball that somehow got in to the match :)

mangoes
09-07-2005, 01:22 AM
Which ones this year Tier 3, last year Wimby was a fluke thanks to Davnport choking and YEC she was losing until Serena picked up her injury and couldnt move

Completely agree.....................and even though many have an issue with Serena, when I hear commentators imply that Sharapova is a better tennis player than Serena, that's an insult............. Serena at her best would have blown Sharapova off the court.

oneandonlyhsn
09-07-2005, 01:23 AM
She has not been making any noise in the second set and it may have to do with the additional ball that somehow got in to the match :)

You mean I can turn up the volume up again, thanks :wavey:

oneandonlyhsn
09-07-2005, 01:26 AM
Completely agree.....................and even though many have an issue with Serena, when I hear commentators imply that Sharapova is a better tennis player than Serena, that's an insult............. Serena at her best would have blown Sharapova off the court.

Totally agree, look at AO this year a half fit Serena kicked her ass so did Clijsters and Justine struggling with a hamstring injury, worse double bagel from Lindsay :lol: Once the top players played her once or twice they have her number because she simply

Plan A - bash the ball
Plan B - bash the ball even harder

mangoes
09-07-2005, 01:26 AM

lololol................... For some reason I do not believe that ball distracted Sharapova at all. She missed the return from Petrova, turned, saw the ball and made an issue of it to get the point replayed.

But, rules are rules...................and maybe I saw it all wrong.

its.like.that
09-07-2005, 01:28 AM
bandy just chokes his break in the 4th

:lol:

mangoes
09-07-2005, 01:29 AM
Totally agree, look at AO this year a half fit Serena kicked her ass so did Clijsters and Justine struggling with a hamstring injury, worse double bagel from Lindsay :lol: Once the top players played her once or twice they have her number because she simply

Plan A - bash the ball
Plan B - bash the ball even harder

Totally agree................that's what she does. If she had come along when ladies' tennis was really top notch..........example a match between Serena and Capriati............no one wouldn't even know Sharapova's name. I remember looking at women's tennis in those days because it was so competitive.

mishar
09-07-2005, 01:30 AM
I"m not a fan of Sharapova but you can't say that Petrova's resume equals her. Petrova may be a better player in your opinion but Sharapova has a better resume. But perhaps the degree of your dislike makes you immune to logic.

federer express
09-07-2005, 01:31 AM
. If she had come along when ladies' tennis was really top notch..........example a match between Serena and Capriati............no one wouldn't even know Sharapova's name. I remember looking at women's tennis in those days because it was so competitive.

ok...not entirely true (which is my way of saying not at all true :p )

mangoes
09-07-2005, 01:32 AM
I"m not a fan of Sharapova but you can't say that Petrova's resume equals her. Petrova may be a better player in your opinion but Sharapova has a better resume. But perhaps the degree of your dislike makes you immune to logic.

Who the hell are you talking to? I hope it isn't me and I can't possibly imagine who you are speaking to because no one said Petrova is a better player than Sharapova. Read before jumping on your fucking white horse.

mangoes
09-07-2005, 01:33 AM
ok...not entirely true (which is my way of saying not at all true :p )

Ok...........lolololo.............I'll give a little, maybe I'm stretching, but I truly did enjoy women's tennis back then..............I just can't seem to get into it these days.

mishar
09-07-2005, 01:33 AM

Sorry to go off topic.

Mangoes -- I was referring to this post. Why are you cursing at me? Did I do something to you? It's just a game, man. Chill out.

oneandonlyhsn
09-07-2005, 01:34 AM

You are kidding right :cuckoo: We have all agreed Petrova is Petrovarated, all we are saying is Scremapova is Sharapovarated big time

niko
09-07-2005, 01:35 AM
Of course we hope that David stops Roger, but would that be enough? What I don't really want to happen David beats Roger and then loose the next match. To me more satisfactory result is the USO, one match beating Roger no thanks.

mangoes
09-07-2005, 01:36 AM
Mangoes -- I was referring to this post. Why are you cursing at me? Did I do something to you? It's just a game, man. Chill out.

The person did not say that Petrova is a better player than Sharapova...........again, read............before insulting people's intelligence.

oneandonlyhsn
09-07-2005, 01:38 AM
:rolls: someone over on the other board just said that Sharapova took a Steroid break, poor girl.

mishar
Whatever. I didn't insult anyone. I don't need to come on this board to have some stupid fucking fight about nothing. Go back to bashing all the tennis players.

niko
lololol................... For some reason I do not believe that ball distracted Sharapova at all. She missed the return from Petrova, turned, saw the ball and made an issue of it to get the point replayed.

But, rules are rules...................and maybe I saw it all wrong.
Well now we know that if Maria doesn't shreak she is mad :devil:

federer express
09-07-2005, 01:39 AM
Of course we hope that David stops Roger, but would that be enough? What I don't really want to happen David beats Roger and then loose the next match. To me more satisfactory result is the USO, one match beating Roger no thanks.

dont worry about which you would prefer...cuz neither is likely to happen ;)

mangoes
09-07-2005, 01:39 AM
:rolls: someone over on the other board just said that Sharapova took a Steroid break, poor girl.

lololol

mangoes
09-07-2005, 01:43 AM
Whatever. I didn't insult anyone. I don't need to come on this board to have some stupid fucking fight about nothing. Go back to bashing all the tennis players.

No one is having a fight...............you bashed a poster over something you made up and then took the position of :angel:

Flibbertigibbet
09-07-2005, 01:44 AM
Nalbandian wins 4-6, 7-6, 6-4, 6-2 on the fourth match point - similar set scores in the Federer-Kiefer match. We have a Federer-Nalbandian match for the first time in over a year and a half.

niko
09-07-2005, 01:44 AM
Well done David! :wavey:

mangoes
09-07-2005, 01:46 AM
Congrats Nalbandian.........................

oneandonlyhsn
09-07-2005, 01:46 AM
Nalby :rocker2: now for a sweet QF btw him and Fed

willie
09-07-2005, 01:47 AM
next match is gonna be AWSOME!!!!
go david!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yeah:

Daniel
09-07-2005, 01:49 AM
DAvide :smash: :crazy:

Halba
09-07-2005, 01:50 AM
both have played real ordinary in their 4R matches. Sanguinetti is an old grey haired man and DAVEEED took 4 sets.

I predict trouble for DAVEEEED against Fed. Fed in 3 easy sets. Fed can up his game anytime and is playing at 65-70% of his level.

But i would like a close match anyhow and i would like DAVEEEED to win.

Emphasis on the "DAVEEED" hehehe

gooner88
09-07-2005, 01:52 AM
That was a bit too close for comfort Nalbo!
Congrats on getting the win.
Props to Sang aka Sanguinetti.
Good luck against Fed on Thu. :yeah:

gravity
09-07-2005, 01:53 AM
Glad he pulled through in the end. The next match has the potential to be the best of the US Open. Let's hope David can bring his A Game and give Federer some serious trouble. Vamossssssssssssss :banana:

NYCtennisfan
09-07-2005, 01:54 AM
both have played real ordinary in their 4R matches. Sanguinetti is an old grey haired man and DAVEEED took 4 sets.

I predict trouble for DAVEEEED against Fed. Fed in 3 easy sets. Fed can up his game anytime and is playing at 65-70% of his level.

But i would like a close match anyhow and i would like DAVEEEED to win.

Emphasis on the "DAVEEED" he[QUOTE]hehe

:) DAVEED! Frankly, Nalby is a little lucky that old man Sang ran out of gass or this might've been a tough 5 setter. Neely mentioned that Nalby just gets too tentative on his shots when he could be driving him from side to side.

soraya
09-07-2005, 02:01 AM
strange that people call sanguinetti and old man, then agassi should be sanguinetti's dad, just a thought

Flibbertigibbet
09-07-2005, 02:07 AM
If Agassi is capable of procreating at the age of three, then, yes, he is Sanguinetti's dad. ;)

Billy Moonshine
09-07-2005, 02:07 AM
Phew!
Good luck david in the QF, you've got a lot of support and you can do it!:)

federer express
09-07-2005, 02:09 AM
strange that people call sanguinetti and old man, then agassi should be sanguinetti's dad, just a thought

35 year old father to a 33 year old...interesting thought

DDrago2
09-07-2005, 02:13 AM
Sanguinetti sais Agassi is his inspiration

jbone_14
09-07-2005, 02:18 AM
I thought David and David were going to make out when they shook hands. :lol: :haha:

sigmagirl91
09-07-2005, 02:19 AM
I thought David and David were going to make out when they shook hands. :lol: :haha:

Oh, that's terrible!!!

sigmagirl91
09-07-2005, 02:20 AM
If Agassi is capable of procreating at the age of three, then, yes, he is Sanguinetti's dad. ;)

:haha: :haha:
Then Becker or Edberg could be his grandfather.

soraya
09-07-2005, 02:21 AM
35 year old father to a 33 year old...interesting thought

sorry that u did not get the sarcasm I never hear agassi's age being an issue, then why sanguinetti

jbone_14
09-07-2005, 02:23 AM
Oh, that's terrible!!!

Yeah :haha: Sanguinetti grabbed David's head and wouldn't let go. :haha: :lol:

sigmagirl91
09-07-2005, 02:34 AM
Yeah :haha: Sanguinetti grabbed David's head and wouldn't let go. :haha: :lol:

Whoa!!! David and Davide getting it on-literally-on Armstrong. :o

Björki
09-07-2005, 05:58 AM
David :yeah:

joeb_uk
09-07-2005, 09:10 AM
I arrived in malta about 1am :D and we decided to go get a drink, and luckily the bar we chose was showing the match!! I arrived just as the match was starting :cool: It was great that euro covered this match :yeah: But sadly i dont have any sports channel on my appartments tv :(
Neely you are spot on! In the 7 games or so i saw, david is too defensive. He is great at working an opening, but he doesnt punish his opponent like he should. He has the oppportunity to hit a winner or close to a winner, but doesnt take the big enough risk.

Nalbandian is too defensive and too tentative. He has all the swings to make pressure and to send Sanguinetti around with strong shots from left to right.

mandoura
09-07-2005, 10:27 AM
Serena at her best would have blown Sharapova off the court.

:yeah: Totally agree.