Fed: "I've got a bad record against Nalbandian; I'd like to play him." [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Fed: "I've got a bad record against Nalbandian; I'd like to play him."

NYCtennisfan
09-06-2005, 10:16 PM
Fed when asked after beating Kiwi who he would like to take on next. Looks like Fed is looking for some more revenge. Confidence or bravado?

Sharad1982
he just said that a second ago, and it's already here haha wow
that's quick, i like it!

gravity
He knows he's gonna lose. He's afraid. And he should be.

Go home now Federer. Fake an injury.

TheBoiledEgg
09-06-2005, 10:17 PM
you really think he'd wanna play Sanguinetti :rolls:

Roger could play on crutches and beat him :tape:

Daniel
09-06-2005, 10:18 PM
Federer will send Nalbandian back to Argentina .

LLeytonRules
09-06-2005, 10:18 PM
How about Roger improving his serve, its been a liability!

oneandonlyhsn
09-06-2005, 10:19 PM
you really think he'd wanna play Sanguinetti :rolls:

Roger could play on crutches and beat him :tape:

:rolls: OMG classic

NYCtennisfan
Should be a good one if Nalbandian beats the old, gray haired man. If Nalbandian loses to Sang then he should just retire from the game. No way should he lose that one.

oneandonlyhsn
Should be a good one if Nalbandian beats the old, gray haired man. If Nalbandian loses to Sang then he should just retire from the game. No way should he lose that one.

Umm, we are talking about Nalby here anything is possible

NYCtennisfan

For some reason his serve was weak today. No pop on it at all. I suspect he will amp things up for the QF.

NYCtennisfan
09-06-2005, 10:20 PM

Of course, but there is no way that an old man who has just played a 4 1/2 hour marathon should be able to beat Nalby.

gravity
09-06-2005, 10:21 PM

I think he will politely decline the offer of a free flight home to play the final on Sunday.

rofe
09-06-2005, 10:22 PM
I like Roger's confidence in spite of his scratchy match against Kiefer. It seems he wants to set some H2H records straight.

I would be very surprised if Sangy won but then this is Nalby we are talking about. I am praying for a Nalby win so that we can see some good tennis from both players on Thursday.

Billy Moonshine
A fair comment.
Fed knows his h2h with David isn't in his favour and wants to prove he can beat Nalby. No doubt he wants to end his career with winning h2h against all the players. He won't though. Nalby will play like his best and bring Fed down with a humbling bump.
:)

jazz_girl
Sadly, I agree. Overconfidence is something that happens to him way too often :mad:

NYCtennisfan
09-06-2005, 10:23 PM
Should be a fun Thursday night match.

rofe
09-06-2005, 10:23 PM

Yeah in the 1st two sets he was very tentative with his serves but he did amp it late in the 3rd and the 4th.

NYCtennisfan
09-06-2005, 10:25 PM
Yeah in the 1st two sets he was very tentative with his serves but he did amp it late in the 3rd and the 4th.

He was moving better, hitting with authority, playing on or inside the baseline and hitting good serves in the 4th set. I'm not sure why he isn't coming out of the gates that way. I think he will against Nalbandian because he knows how well Nalby can play. Fed comes out slowly against just about everyone except for Hewitt, Andre recently, Roddick and a few others. It's almost as if he believes when the time is right, he can just turn it on and win. He did today.

tennischick
09-06-2005, 10:27 PM
Federer is faking out his opponents and their scouts. he's saving his best for last.

David, be afraid, be very afraid. ;)

rofe
09-06-2005, 10:28 PM
He was moving better, hitting with authority, playing on or inside the baseline and hitting good serves in the 4th set. I'm not sure why he isn't coming out of the gates that way. I think he will against Nalbandian because he knows how well Nalby can play. Fed comes out slowly against just about everyone except for Hewitt, Andre recently, Roddick and a few others. It's almost as if he believes when the time is right, he can just turn it on and win. He did today.

I agree with you especially the latter part. In fact, I have seen this behavior from him over the past few months. I personally think this is high risk tennis but I guess Roger knows best.

NYCtennisfan
09-06-2005, 10:32 PM
Federer is faking out his opponents and their scouts. he's saving his best for last.

For anyone else, this would be a crazy statement to make but I almost want to believe with Fed. Today against Kiwi (barring the 4th set), Fed didn't move, didn't hit with pace, sliced his BH, didn't really do anything well. Then he turned it on all of a sudden and Kiwi couldn't win points on his serve. Against Ollie, he just stood there letting Ollie dicate all the points on his serve and then stepped up in the TB and the 3rd set.

He needs to come out of the gates early against Nalbandian and take advantage of Nalby's usual 1st set lethargy.

tennischick
09-06-2005, 10:32 PM
... It's almost as if he believes when the time is right, he can just turn it on and win. He did today.
he got burned doing this against Safin at the AO IMO. maybe he gets bored otherwise and needs to create the extra level of challenge. either way it is risky. then again so few of his opponents have been able to exploit this that perhaps it's not.

NYCtennisfan
09-06-2005, 10:37 PM
Yeah, who knows? I do know that he comes out to play much differently in finals and is out for blood from the beginning. None of this working his way into a match stuff.

Fee
09-06-2005, 11:05 PM
I loved that comment, it really surprised me. It was even cooler when Fed interrupted his on-court interview to draw attention to Kiefer one last time as he left the court. RF even stood back for a second and applauded him one more time. (then they showed a shot of Kiefer stopping to sign things and I nearly fainted from the shock of that scene...)

nobama
09-06-2005, 11:19 PM
I loved that comment, it really surprised me. It was even cooler when Fed interrupted his on-court interview to draw attention to Kiefer one last time as he left the court. RF even stood back for a second and applauded him one more time. (then they showed a shot of Kiefer stopping to sign things and I nearly fainted from the shock of that scene...)That's cool. Just shows he respects his opponents.

Federerhingis
09-07-2005, 12:05 AM
For some reason his serve was weak today. No pop on it at all. I suspect he will amp things up for the QF.

Yup! He was hitting wat too many 111mph 1st serves, Kiefer was just having them for lunch. Its funny how his 1st serve percentage was so low and he hit very few aces and he was at -4 on winner-errrors count and still won the 1st set rather comfortably.

Federerhingis
09-07-2005, 12:10 AM
For anyone else, this would be a crazy statement to make but I almost want to believe with Fed. Today against Kiwi (barring the 4th set), Fed didn't move, didn't hit with pace, sliced his BH, didn't really do anything well. Then he turned it on all of a sudden and Kiwi couldn't win points on his serve. Against Ollie, he just stood there letting Ollie dicate all the points on his serve and then stepped up in the TB and the 3rd set.

He needs to come out of the gates early against Nalbandian and take advantage of Nalby's usual 1st set lethargy.

I thought I was the only one who had those thoughts, its like he lets his opponents into the match to only step his intensity up just so that he makes sure he makes it to the following round. He did the same against Rochus in cincinatti for the first set and then really took charge in the second set. However, I do think he knows who he can try these cat and mouse games, cause he sure knows the top ten players wont cut him any slack.

ugotlobbed
09-07-2005, 12:21 AM
He knows he's gonna lose. He's afraid. And he should be.

Go home now Federer. Fake an injury.
ok noob

NYCtennisfan
09-07-2005, 01:50 AM
That's cool. Just shows he respects his opponents.

Kiefer's handshake at the end of the match showed a lot of respect. AFter a loss, Kiefer isn't in usually in too much of a mood for a nice, "nice battle" handshake but he was today.

sigmagirl91
09-07-2005, 02:13 AM
Sadly, I agree. Overconfidence is something that happens to him way too often :mad:

I don't think it's overconfidence; I think it's underachieving.

Fergie
09-07-2005, 02:17 AM
Yeah! :angel:

Flibbertigibbet
09-07-2005, 02:20 AM
If Federer loses, there goes the last of my favorites. But luckily, he is JesusFed, so I can expect some more out of him. :lol:

undomiele
09-07-2005, 02:51 AM
If Federer loses, there goes the last of my favorites. But luckily, he is JesusFed, so I can expect some more out of him. :lol:

David is going to crucify this JesusF. :yeah: Go Dave!!

oneandonlyhsn
09-07-2005, 03:17 AM
David is going to crucify this JesusF. :yeah: Go Dave!!

:p

niko
09-07-2005, 03:37 AM
My question is: Ok David wins the match and then what loses the next? Of course it's possible he can beat Roger, but can he win USO?

RogiFan88
09-07-2005, 03:43 AM
depends on who he meets in the SF... Hewitt or Nieminen.

RogiFan88
09-07-2005, 03:48 AM

Really? Is it machismo?

niko
09-07-2005, 03:50 AM
To be honest I don't see David beat Roger. It would be a miracle and like I've stated then what?

Art&Soul
09-07-2005, 06:16 AM
Go ROGI, keep winning, play your best when you need it and shut up all the haters :)

landoud
09-07-2005, 06:56 AM
i don't think nalby gonna win... it's true that fedex struggled against kiefer , but he won...
it's not going to be easy but federer has the biggest chances here... c'mon we r talking about the number 1 player here

Neely
09-07-2005, 07:01 AM
I would like to see Nalbandian to worsen this bad record (from Federer's view).

yanchr
09-07-2005, 07:07 AM
Yeah, today, before the 4th set, he didn't do anything well. But still to say he was not making the effort, letting his opponent into the match and stepped up when he thought he should is a bit too much. It can not explain his tons of errors from both his wings and even the overhead smash. I don't know why he was not moving (he really wasn't in the first 3 sets). My commentators kept saying there must be sth wrong with him esp after he mishit a shot which they commented sth like he would've made 10 out of 10. Not sure about if there is anything wrong with him really, but I just hope he is physically fine.

megadeth
09-07-2005, 07:29 AM
no one's brought this up.

nalby needed 4 sets against sanguinetti! either sanguinetti played more than he's capable of, or nalby was just being nalby once again...
\
that doesn't seem promising going up against fed

s.m.
09-07-2005, 09:43 AM
nalbandian is playing poor in this tournament, exepct match against gonzo which gonzo practilly gave avay with his errors
i expect roger at his best, and clear victory for him
nalbandian must raise his game for about 40% to even compete with roger
especially serve which is appalling so far