Fed now has a match! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Fed now has a match!

LLeytonRules
09-06-2005, 08:50 PM
U guys where talking about Nalbandian and Federer, now he is in a fight with Kiefer, Federer is really struggling, his serve pecertange is horrible!

Jimnik
09-06-2005, 08:52 PM
I think, in a way, Kiefer and Nalbandian have similar styles.

TheBoiledEgg
09-06-2005, 08:54 PM
Fed always has a match with Kiwi

that is until Kiwi brainfarts which he surely do.
Kiwi also beaten hiim 3 times before
and taken sets of him in last 3 matches.

Shabazza
09-06-2005, 08:54 PM
his first serve % is crap - no easy points for him and way to many UE
Roger has a really bad day - ok Kiefer doesn't play that well either ;)

Socket
09-06-2005, 08:56 PM
The real question is whether USA is going to stick with their coverage or go off the air in a few minutes . . .

LLeytonRules
09-06-2005, 08:56 PM
Kiefer will not choke this time, bank on it!Federer needs to get on high gear or he will be looking up.

1sun
09-06-2005, 08:58 PM
roger is sucking, kiefer is sucking but roger is sucking more

adee-gee
09-06-2005, 08:58 PM
Kiefer's first serve % is lower than Federer's by the way.

alfonsojose
09-06-2005, 09:00 PM
Does Kiefer have holes on his back too :tape: ?

George_Hanson
09-06-2005, 09:00 PM
Ugly performance, I'll play scrabble right now and minimize the window in which Im watching

Shabazza
09-06-2005, 09:01 PM
not in the 2nd set
Federer 48%
Kiefer 60%

though, Kiefer first serve was around 35% in the first set

Daniel
09-06-2005, 09:02 PM
Vamor Roger :D

lucashg
09-06-2005, 09:03 PM

Kiefer has won much more free points on his serve than Federer, and did even hit a first serve in that tie-break? It was non-existant in his last service games. He really needs to step it up, serve better and cut down his errors.

Kiefer's not playing that well, but at the moment he's certainly serving much better (despite the double-faults) and is being more consistent.

LLeytonRules
09-06-2005, 09:04 PM
Roger just has to do a better job holding his serve yet he cant do, thats just horrible execution.He cant be fatigued.

TheBoiledEgg
09-06-2005, 09:04 PM
did Federer watch Henin last night and having nightmares :eek:
seems like it

Jimnik
09-06-2005, 09:05 PM
Roger is only winning 60% of the points when his 1st serve goes in so it hardly matters (whether he gets his 1st serve in or not). Kiefer has 8 double faults.

Shabazza
09-06-2005, 09:06 PM
he had his first comfortable serving game, with first serve free points 2:1 for Roger just keep up your 1. serve

LLeytonRules
09-06-2005, 09:10 PM
He needs to get a break off Kiefer's serve, is Fed moving to the net?

adee-gee
09-06-2005, 09:12 PM
He needs to get a break off Kiefer's serve, is Fed moving to the net?

Not a lot, Kiefer has spent a lot more time there.

oneandonlyhsn
09-06-2005, 09:14 PM
Fed and Kiefer are sucking so much, I thought Dom and Lleytons match was bad this is even worse. Fed and Kiwi sucked initially and Fed just sucked even more in the 2nd set than Kiwi. Its the suckiest sucky match of the day

Jimnik
09-06-2005, 09:17 PM
Fed will be knocked out. I think Andre is destined to win his last US Open.

LLeytonRules
09-06-2005, 09:20 PM
Fed needs to break Kiefer now, otherwise he will lose in a tie-breaker!

adee-gee
09-06-2005, 09:20 PM
Fed just saved break point at 3-3. Could be the turning point.

vincayou
09-06-2005, 09:22 PM

I have the feeling that Kiefer could have hit harder the last forehand on his second break point.

TennisLurker
09-06-2005, 09:22 PM
kiefer will brain fart eventually

adee-gee
09-06-2005, 09:26 PM

:rolleyes: Fed breaks in the next game, there was something inevitable about that.

ezekiel
09-06-2005, 09:27 PM
I just want to say that Mirka looks like a beached whale

NYCtennisfan
09-06-2005, 09:30 PM
Federer is not moving well and there is no pop to his game. He is on the defensive on every point where it is not his first serve.Even his first serve is kind of weak today. 122, 123, 124 mph down the T.

LLeytonRules
Roger needs to take him out now, in 4 sets, if he somehow advances, he will lose to Nalbandian, u cannot play like this and get away with it!

Shabazza
you suck at trolling - Mistaflava is better :p

TheBoiledEgg
09-06-2005, 09:31 PM
kiefer will brain fart eventually

he did :lol:

its as obvious as the sun is gonna rise and set in a day.

asotgod
it seems as if Federer has been underestimating his opponents. I know he says that he takes every match seriously and knows that he can lose on any given day. But, IMHO, he seems to be on autopilot as if he is trying to just cruise through matches without effort. He does not seem to be trying hard at all, especially after his first round match. It is as if he is trying to tell his opponent to try to beat him, instead of Roger trying to beat the daylight out of his opponent. He has been playing too much defensive tennis and seems too content just being on autopilot. I think that's a show of overconfidence, if not arrogance.

TennisLurker

yes, I guess Fed is really loyal

kundalini
If only Kiefer could play well against Roger. Each time you're left thinking Kiefer could have won if he had played an ok match.

Then again, remember the time when Kiefer couldn't even buy a win against anyone. His confidence was so low he could barely keep the ball in play. He did well to recover from that period a few years ago.

TheBoiledEgg
09-06-2005, 09:36 PM
Why win playing your best, when he doesnt have to
he knows there's no one left in the draw that remotely has the chance to beat him at 20% of his capacity.

1st Gear Roger is enough to wipe everyone out.

adee-gee
09-06-2005, 09:38 PM
he knows there's no one left in the draw that remotely has the chance to beat him at 20% of his capacity.

Although the 20% statement was exagerrating a bit, its true. He can beat most players even when he's not playing well. Tragic for the men's game, I used to moan a few years ago about the Williams dominating the game and how it was boring. Now its happening to the men's game, and it sucks.

oneandonlyhsn
09-06-2005, 09:40 PM
Although the 20% statement was exagerrating a bit, its true. He can beat most players even when he's not playing well. Tragic for the men's game, I used to moan a few years ago about the Williams dominating the game and how it was boring. Now its happening to the men's game, and it sucks.

:lol: You didnt say the same thing during clay season did you, have to love the hypocrisy on MTF

LLeytonRules
09-06-2005, 09:48 PM
Looks like Roger might pulled through, if he pulls this bad play against Nalbandian, he is a dead duck, i dont care how good u are.

asotgod
09-06-2005, 09:50 PM

That's true TBE. It's just disgusting to see him looking all sad, empty, tired and like someone having a bad day. I wont be surprised if he is beginning to lose interest.

oneandonlyhsn
09-06-2005, 09:50 PM
Looks like Roger might pulled through, if he pulls this bad play against Nalbandian, he is a dead duck, i dont care how good u are.

I have a feeling Roger will step it up against Nalby he usually does against players he has a bad H2H record. But you are right if he plays like today, only stepping it up to break Nalby will crush him

tennischick
09-06-2005, 09:53 PM
he did :lol:

its as obvious as the sun is gonna rise and set in a day.
as obvious as the fact that the Duck drowned himself in a sea of overhype. :D

ExpectedWinner
09-06-2005, 09:58 PM
That's true TBE. It's just disgusting to see him looking all sad, empty, tired and like someone having a bad day. I wont be surprised if he is beginning to lose interest.

I hate drama. He had ( still has?) problems with his feet. Obviously, he didn't practice much. Even great ones lose sharpness and reaction after a lay off.

oneandonlyhsn
09-06-2005, 10:00 PM
I hate drama. He had ( still has?) problems with his feet. Obviously, he didn't practice much. Even great ones lose sharpness and reaction after a lay off.

Thank you :worship: :worship:

tennischick
09-06-2005, 10:02 PM
and yet they continue to win most of their matches. amazing. :worship:

oneandonlyhsn
09-06-2005, 10:02 PM
:topic: Kiwi has the most beautiful hands at net, his volleys just die

england_rules
09-06-2005, 10:07 PM
I think you say something similar every time Federer struggles in a match. He's still winning and has never failed to step it up when needed. Yeah, he might lose playing like he has today, but don't count on him playing this way again.

User id 7816
09-06-2005, 10:07 PM
:rolls: I just loved the squash passing forehand Kiefer just made and the grin he had after it :rolls:

oneandonlyhsn
09-06-2005, 10:08 PM
:rolls: I just loved the squash passing forehand Kiefer just made and the grin he had after it :rolls:

That was a great shot from Kiwi and even better reaction :D

MissMoJo
09-06-2005, 10:13 PM
yeah, he doesn't look so scary when he smiles:p

User id 7816
09-06-2005, 10:14 PM
yeah, he doesn't look so scary when he smiles:p
yeah I was relieved to see he can also smile as I always thought he looked too moody

TheBoiledEgg
09-06-2005, 10:14 PM

that was some shot
he or no one else will ever get a shot like that even if they try it a million times.

that was something else.

User id 7816
09-06-2005, 10:18 PM
that was some shot
he or no one else will ever get a shot like that even if they try it a million times.

that was something else.
it was...must be one of the most perfect improvised shots played ever :p

tennischick
09-06-2005, 10:18 PM
that was an awesome moment when Federer got the crowd to acknowledge Kiefer.

my hero :worship:

Chloe le Bopper
09-06-2005, 10:22 PM
:lol: You didnt say the same thing during clay season did you, have to love the hypocrisy on MTF
Nadal dominate for a couple of months. Not a couple of years. No comparison, thus no hypocricy.

oneandonlyhsn
09-06-2005, 10:24 PM
Nadal dominate for a couple of months. Not a couple of years. No comparison, thus no hypocricy.

A couple of years more like 82 weeks :scratch:

Chloe le Bopper
09-06-2005, 10:25 PM
A couple of years more like 82 weeks :scratch:
Gee, that changes my point.

Comparing Nadal's brief dominance on one surface to Federer's overall excellence is absurd.

Next.

LLeytonRules
09-06-2005, 10:26 PM
I hope Nalbandian beats Federer, too see what excuses u Federer fans will come up with! :o

Chloe le Bopper
09-06-2005, 10:28 PM
I hope Nalbandian beats Federer, too see what excuses u Federer fans will come up with! :o
That would be plenty funny, but it's not happening. David doesn't like to win big matches, unless they are in Davis Cup.

NYCtennisfan
09-06-2005, 10:29 PM
Gee, that changes my point.

Comparing Nadal's brief dominance on one surface to Federer's overall excellence is absurd.

Next.

What if Nadal dominates again on clay next year (which he will)?

NYCtennisfan
09-06-2005, 10:30 PM
yeah I was relieved to see he can also smile as I always thought he looked too moody

He was actually smiling on court. You don't see that often from Psycho Kiwi. :)

tennischick
09-06-2005, 10:30 PM
no excuses. even the best lose sometimes. that doesn't stop them from being the best. ;)

Chloe le Bopper
09-06-2005, 10:31 PM
What if Nadal dominates again on clay next year (which he will)?

It's still a poor comparison.

It's also not particularly relevant to the present, where adeegee or whatever was wrongly labelled a hypocrite. I fail to see the hypocrisy, and have yet to be given further explanation.

PamV
09-06-2005, 10:31 PM

I don't think this is true. Ginepri and Blake gave Roger a hard time in Cincinnati and they may be playing with more confidence and more big match practice at the moment. I would not underestimate those guys. For that matter, I wouldn't even underestimate Nalbandian. Roger beat him in their last two meetings but that was over a year ago. Roger will have to be able to play his best to win the tournament.

NYCtennisfan
09-06-2005, 10:35 PM
It's still a poor comparison.

It's also not particularly relevant to the present, where adeegee or whatever was wrongly labelled a hypocrite. I fail to see the hypocrisy, and have yet to be given further explanation.

Fans say that dominance is boring. Nadal will dominate, in all probability, the clay events next year. Does that make the clay season boring?

Personally, Fed's dominance doesn't bother me at all. It's going to make everyone raise their level of play and I think it has with a lot of players. Same with Rafa on clay. If you want to beat him on clay, you are going to have to play one hell of a match or get a beatdown.

tennischick
09-06-2005, 10:39 PM
Fans say that dominance is boring. Nadal will dominate, in all probability, the clay events next year. Does that make the clay season boring?

Personally, Fed's dominance doesn't bother me at all. It's going to make everyone raise their level of play and I think it has with a lot of players. Same with Rafa on clay. If you want to beat him on clay, you are going to have to play one hell of a match or get a beatdown.
i agree with you on this. i don't like the comparison to the Williams for the simple reason that Fed is dominating with a complete game, not just with power. i think that if Duckboy was dominating with his unidimensional power play a compaison to the Williams era would be more apt. Fed's domination, like Nadal's on clay, is in a class by itself bec they are both phenomenal players with phenomenally complete games.

Chloe le Bopper
09-06-2005, 10:45 PM

Fed dominates the overall season, not two or three months of it. Again, labelling Adeegee or however in the Hell he spells that a hypocrite because he probably enjoyed Nadal's clay season is absurd.

Furthermore, this was the first time that Nadal did that. If he goes on to do it for the next several years, one might have a point in throwing out the word "hypocrite". As it is now, that is an empty, uninformed insult, that does not do Federer's dominance justice.

I like to not know who is going to win the tournament before it starts. If Nadal starts winning EVERYTHING next clay season, I'll probably start rooting heavy for Coria over him. Mind you, what is yet ot happen is TOTALLY irrelevant to any point I was ever trying to make here. And since I'm tired of reiterating and getting a response that has little to do with what I said... I think I'm done for now.

nermo
09-06-2005, 10:46 PM
no excuses. even the best lose sometimes. that doesn't stop them from being the best.
posted by tennis chick
:yawn: good point...
and about dominance...i think most of the times our feelings rule the way we look at it..meaning, if u love one person, u won't hate his dominance ofcourse, but looking the other side where other people don't feel the same for ur fav. then his dominance gives them terrible feeling ...and in all cases, players 'll have to raise their levels to cope with things going around..it 's a fact equal to the fact that every human dominance has an end...

1sun
09-06-2005, 10:49 PM
i agree with you on this. i don't like the comparison to the Williams for the simple reason that Fed is dominating with a complete game, not just with power. i think that if Duckboy was dominating with his unidimensional power play a compaison to the Williams era would be more apt. Fed's domination, like Nadal's on clay, is in a class by itself bec they are both phenomenal players with phenomenally complete games.
nadal have a complete game? :haha:
some people dont like federer so naturaly they hate his dominace. its quite simple, no matter what you say, they will not think different. but i have no problem with that because not everyone is going like someone or something. we all have differnt views,perspectives and opinions.

Chloe le Bopper
09-06-2005, 10:50 PM
nadal have a complete game? :haha:
some people dont like federer so naturaly they hate his dominace. its quite simple, no matter what you say, they will not think different. but i have no problem with that because not everyone is going like someone or something. we all have differnt views,perspectives and opinions.
Don't you mean WOT?

1sun
09-06-2005, 10:52 PM
the clay season is so long, and when its supposed to be over, dirties still run to clay events, they play so much more on clay than hard/gras/indoor. so their domination is just as long as somones hard domination

Chloe le Bopper
09-06-2005, 10:53 PM
the clay season is so long, and when its supposed to be over, dirties still run to clay events, they play so much more on clay than hard/gras/indoor. so their domination is just as long as somones hard domination
And that would be relevant if Fed only dominated hard :)

PamV
09-06-2005, 10:55 PM
I think that we have pretty much known going in to every one of Nadal's clay matches that he was going to win. I don't feel that way in Roger's matches. Roger doesn't blow all opponents off the court in one sided wins. Lots of his matches are very close.

PamV
09-06-2005, 10:56 PM

Aren't clay tournaments going on for 3/4 of the year?

adee-gee
09-06-2005, 11:01 PM
Are we talking about me behind my back :p

I did quite enjoy the clay season, but I'm with Chloe I fail to see how Rafa dominating on clay for 2 months is quite the same as 2 years of Federer dominating on every other surface. The fact is, Nadal played pretty much to the very top of his game during the clay court season and that's why he was successful. I don't expect him to have nearly the same success in the coming years.

Also, Federer has at various points during the last 2 years not been playing particularly well, yet still winning because 1. He is the best player in the world, and 2. Players seem to be afraid of beating him. I just don't see how its good for tennis when Federer is winning 90% of the tournaments he's entering.

Chloe le Bopper
09-06-2005, 11:03 PM
Well, at least people have heard of him. That's better than having a number 1 who nobody has heard of ;)

I base this on my personal experience, and realize it may differ elsewhere. However, whenever my tennis love comes up around people who are not fans of the sport, Federer is one of the few players that they can name. That, or he's the "swiss guy who wins all the time", but that's good enough

1sun
09-06-2005, 11:09 PM
And that would be relevant if Fed only dominated hard :)
Don't you mean WOT?

adee-gee
09-06-2005, 11:09 PM
Roger doesn't blow all opponents off the court in one sided wins. Lots of his matches are very close.

Can I ask how many "very close" matches Federer has had on hard or grass in the last year :confused: (Does the match in Miami count vs the man that can only play on clay?)

Look at Cincinnati, he hadn't played for a couple of months. He came onto court looking rusty. He didn't play well all week. And still won the title easily. It's boring and not good for men's tennis.

1sun
09-06-2005, 11:14 PM
nadals clay domination has been way longer than 2 months, he has dominated just as much on clay as roger has on grass/hard/indoor, maybe even more.
he has played mostly clay tournies this year and has won most of them like roger has done with hard/indoor/grass.
so dont give any bullshit about how you hate domination when your fave is doing exactly the same thing.
get some balls and admit it, you hate rogers domination but love nadals, just like i love rogers domination and hate nadals

1sun
09-06-2005, 11:15 PM
Can I ask how many "very close" matches Federer has had on hard or grass in the last year :confused: (Does the match in Miami count vs the man that can only play on clay?)

Look at Cincinnati, he hadn't played for a couple of months. He came onto court looking rusty. He didn't play well all week. And still won the title easily. It's boring and not good for men's tennis.
he didnt win it easily, every match was tough, until the finals

Turkeyballs Paco
09-06-2005, 11:28 PM

Yeah. People will say "It's history in the making!" Who knew history would be so boring. :shrug:

adee-gee
09-06-2005, 11:43 PM
I dont see how you can compare the domination of Nadal to Federers. Let's have a brief summary of their record in 2004.....

Nadal 2004
1. Won 1 title, the measly Sopot crown
2. Played only 2 of the Slams, reaching a best of R3

Federer 2004
1. Won 11 titles
2. Won 3 of the 4 Grand Slams

In 2005, Nadal has:
1. Won the French Open, but only reached a best of R4 at the other Slams
2. Won 3 TMS
3. Dominated the clay court season, winning 36 straight matches

In 2005, Federer has:
1. Won Wimbledon, will probably win US Open and reached SF of other 2 Slams.
2. Won 4 TMS
3. Has compiled a 68-3 record
4. Away from clay, his record is 54-1

Chloe le Bopper
09-06-2005, 11:51 PM
nadals clay domination has been way longer than 2 months, he has dominated just as much on clay as roger has on grass/hard/indoor, maybe even more.
he has played mostly clay tournies this year and has won most of them like roger has done with hard/indoor/grass.
so dont give any bullshit about how you hate domination when your fave is doing exactly the same thing.
get some balls and admit it, you hate rogers domination but love nadals, just like i love rogers domination and hate nadals
Don't you mean WOT?

1sun
09-07-2005, 12:14 AM
Don't you mean WOT?
Don't you mean WOT?

Chloe le Bopper
09-07-2005, 02:55 AM
Unfortunately, it's just not funny when you do it. But credit to you for trying something new.

YoursTruly
09-07-2005, 03:20 AM

That is true and there have been so many examples this year. Roger does have some easy matches but some of them were three setters or close two setters, but that only means that he is a true champion because he can still find ways to win when he's not on that day or if his opponent really brings out everything for that match. But it's not not good for tennis by all means because Roger does treat us all with his natural flair and execution as always and it's not like he goes around craving attention and not giving credit to opponents win or lose. That's more of a problem.