Federer will lose again to Hewitt ? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer will lose again to Hewitt ?

ToanNguyen
09-06-2005, 06:14 PM
I just read this artictle that states Hewitt will defeat Federer soon. I don't think it is remotely true. Any comments?

Federer's invincibility 'eroded'

07sep05
ROGER Federer's veneer of invincibility has been eroded at the U.S. Open and it is only a matter of time until he loses again to Lleyton Hewitt, former Australian Davis Cup winner John Alexander says.

Alexander said Federer can still win the U.S. Open, but his two straight-sets wins to launch his Flushing Meadow campaign have contained signs to encourage rivals who have been unable to prevent him from winning four of the past seven Grand Slam titles.

Federer's win-loss record in 2005 was 66-3 and he has peeled off his past 15 sets against Hewitt, his seeded semi-final opponent.

"This week Federer hasn't been at his most dominant, as he has been. He struggled against Fabrice Santoro to play a consistent match and struggled a bit more against Rochus," Alexander said yesterday.

"Grass at Wimbledon is a different story for Roger. On these hardcourts, the others have more of a chance.

"With every set Lleyton plays against Federer, he gets closer to winning another match.

"He will have spent a lot of time looking at how to play against him and Lleyton is the sort of character who will get there through his determination."

Alexander said Hewitt, the world No. 4 and runner-up to Federer at Flushing Meadow last year, was certain to beat the Swiss champion at some juncture of their careers and cited historical precedents to the possibility of a Hewitt renaissance in the next couple of years.

"Jimmy Connors won his early matches against Bjorn Borg, then Borg was dominant for a few years before Connors won more majors after that," he said.

adee-gee
09-06-2005, 06:18 PM
"With every set Lleyton plays against Federer, he gets closer to winning another match".

What an absolute steaming pile of :bs:

Raquel
09-06-2005, 06:21 PM
Well I do think Lleyton will beat Roger at some point again. However I wouldn't put too much stock in what John Alexander says about Australians. He's ultra positive in the extreme. Before Wimbledon he said Samantha Stosur could win the event. He said she had a great game for grass and even though she lost early in 2004 she could win this year. He said Sampras lost early in 1992 and then won it in 1993, so there was a precedent. Stosur then lost in round 1 somewhere out in the boondocks to a Japanese girl. Poor girl probably felt too much pressure after her national coach was telling everyone she could win the thing.

oneandonlyhsn
09-06-2005, 06:22 PM
C'mon I love Rusty but Hewitt is far from his best and to defeat Roger Hewitt has to be at his best.

Hewitt and Roger both have to make it to the semis anyway

Shabazza
09-06-2005, 06:22 PM
the Borg vs Connors comparison is missleading (at least) - and saying he is struggling while being the only one who hasn't lost a set is :silly:

tangerine_dream
09-06-2005, 06:24 PM
That's from an Australian paper. And people think the US media is lopsided? :retard:

Beforehand
09-06-2005, 06:25 PM
I like how people keep acting as though there's no precedent for Roger to still win matches, playing only decent tennis for himself.

Did nobody watch Cincinnati?

He's playing better than he was there.

ExpectedWinner
09-06-2005, 06:26 PM
. Before Wimbledon he said Samantha Stosur could win the event.

:haha: Thanks for the laugh.

Lee
09-06-2005, 06:27 PM
Have to borrow Chloe's line. What's this guy smoking?

I won't say that Lleyton will never win a match vs Federer but most of this guy's saying is total BS.

NYCtennisfan
09-06-2005, 06:28 PM
Of course he can beat Roger sometime or anohter but to say that he is getting closer is just plain wrong. Apparently, Fed is the only player in the history of the game who can win 3 matches in straight sets, hit a ton more winners than errors, be broken only 3 times total and look shaky.

ToanNguyen
09-06-2005, 06:28 PM
Well I do think Lleyton will beat Roger at some point again
I agree with you completely that Roger will lose to Hewitt at one point or another. He after all is human and will have his off day.
The funny thing about this article is that John Alexander implies that Hewitt will figure out a way to play Federer and will beat Federer from then on. This is "crap".

Corey Feldman
09-06-2005, 06:34 PM
JA really is getting senile thesedays :o

mishar
09-06-2005, 06:39 PM
So he is getting closer now rather than back in 2004 when he still managed to take a set off of Federer once in a while?

Cervantes
09-06-2005, 06:41 PM
:haha:

like others said before Hewitt might get lucky someday and defeat Federer, but to beat him on a consistent basis like this dumbo is saying Hewitt would need to work on his game a lot! Maybe if he actually develops a decent serve and a powerful forehand he could challenge Roger, but for now I don't see Hewitt turning this h2h around.

Shabazza
09-06-2005, 06:45 PM
Of course he can beat Roger sometime or anohter but to say that he is getting closer is just plain wrong. Apparently, Fed is the only player in the history of the game who can win 3 matches in straight sets, hit a ton more winners than errors, be broken only 3 times total and look shaky.
:yeah:

Consigliere
09-06-2005, 06:45 PM
Lleyton's beaten Roger several times in the past and he'll do it several times in the future. If he does it in this tournament I wouldn't be surprised. Remember he's lost to the eventual champion every GS since USO 03. So when will this sequence break?? It's gotta be broken some time.

alfonsojose
09-06-2005, 06:49 PM
:tape: Lleyton was struggling against Dent on baseline rallies and now he'll kick JesusFed's butt :bs:

dmit424
09-06-2005, 06:58 PM
Hewitt's serve is fine, it's just that he will make Roger hit extra balls, and Roger doesn't care, he'll hit the winners. Hrbaty, on the other hand, made many errors after Hewitt scrambled to save a point. Fed rarely does that.

jtipson
09-06-2005, 06:58 PM
"Jimmy Connors won his early matches against Bjorn Borg, then Borg was dominant for a few years before Connors won more majors after that," he said.

Yes, Connors won three more majors after Borg *retired*.

dmit424
09-06-2005, 07:04 PM
:tape: Lleyton was struggling against Dent on baseline rallies and now he'll kick JesusFed's butt :bs:

Yeah, that wasn't his best match. He played a very pretty match today.

25 winners, 15 errors...
Hrabaty had 21 winners but 49 errors, largely due to him getting frustrated at not being able to hit a winner. So when Lleyton's opponent has more than TRIPLE the errors, and still gets less winners as well, that's just a great day for Hewitt.

Cervantes
09-06-2005, 07:05 PM
Yeah, that wasn't his best match. He played a very pretty match today.

25 winners, 15 errors...
Hrabaty had 21 winners but 49 errors, largely due to him getting frustrated at not being able to hit a winner. So when Lleyton's opponent has more than TRIPLE the errors, and still gets less winners as well, that's just a great day for Hewitt.

Hrbaty doesn't have the weapons to defeat Hewitt, Federer does.

FanOfHewitt
09-06-2005, 07:08 PM
lmfao@J.A. Patriotic to the bitter end.

Federerhingis
09-06-2005, 07:14 PM
C'mon I love Rusty but Hewitt is far from his best and to defeat Roger Hewitt has to be at his best.

Hewitt and Roger both have to make it to the semis anyway

Dont you think? Obviously Hewitt will certainly beat Federer again, when? I am not sure, if hes playing at about 95% of his capability and Federer is shaky and a bit out of rhythm Hewitt might beat him if its the semis or earlier parts of a tournament, not in the finals, not for the moment at least. Neither Federer nor Hewitt are playing on their best form at this very moment, lets wait and see the outcome after the Kiefer match....

Shabazza
09-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Yes, Connors won three more majors after Borg *retired*.
that's why it was misleading ;)

Lee
09-06-2005, 08:22 PM
:lol: With the way Federer is playing today, Hewitt may have a chance.

Auscon
09-06-2005, 08:27 PM
I have no doubt Lleyton will defeat Roger again in the future

JA kindof overlooked the fact that Roger lifts his game as a slam progresses....don't see how he was even shaky in the matches he did play lol

Timariot
09-06-2005, 08:28 PM
:lol: With the way Federer is playing today, Hewitt may have a chance.

Hey, Kiefer is actually a serious challenge to Fed - he has taken two sets from him this year, unlike some players...

Socket
09-06-2005, 08:36 PM
I'd rather Lleyton keep on losing to Federer in SFs and finals of slams than lose to Gilles Muller in the first round. Not to pick on Andy, but you get the point. What pro player wouldn't?

revolution
09-06-2005, 08:40 PM
Fed will whomp Hewitt everywhere, no matter what location or surface. Lleyton has to hope either Kiefer or Bandy can remove him from the path. Agassi-Hewitt would be a good final to watch, and an even one at that.

Lee
09-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Hey, Kiefer is actually a serious challenge to Fed - he has taken two sets from him this year, unlike some players...

Have you seen the kind of unforced errors Federer made today? It's not like Kiefer put any pressure on him when he hit those errors.

Auscon
09-06-2005, 08:42 PM
Agassi-Hewitt would be a good final to watch, and an even one at that.

yeah, that'd be an awesome final :)

Castafiore
09-06-2005, 08:43 PM
Have you seen the kind of unforced errors Federer made today? It's not like Kiefer put any pressure on him when he hit those errors.
Problem is that Kiefer isn't playing that well either so up until now, it's a bit of an awkward match.

ToanNguyen
09-06-2005, 09:04 PM
What is up with Roger and the 2nd set?
He always have problems with the 2nd set when he wins the first set.
Anyhow. Just win it in 4.

dmit424
09-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Hrbaty doesn't have the weapons to defeat Hewitt, Federer does.

I know. I was simply replying to the post that referred to his match with Dent.

Turkeyballs Paco
09-06-2005, 10:10 PM
Fed will whomp Hewitt everywhere, no matter what location or surface. Lleyton has to hope either Kiefer or Bandy can remove him from the path. Agassi-Hewitt would be a good final to watch, and an even one at that.

:yeah: No, Hewitt won't beat Fed any time soon, but to his credit, not many other people will either. Once Fed figures out your game, it's all over.

NYCtennisfan
09-06-2005, 10:22 PM
No, Hewitt won't beat Fed any time soon, but to his credit, not many other people will either. Once Fed figures out your game, it's all over.

This is so true.

andre the great
09-06-2005, 11:29 PM
I have to say watching Hewitt today. Even though he won in straight sets I got the feeling that he hasn't the slightest chance of beating Fed. Having said that if Kiefer wasn't tormented by negative thoughts he meet have shown Rogi the door this evening

Pheobo
09-06-2005, 11:32 PM
If Federer brings his B- game he can beat Lleyton easily :rolleyes:

Turkeyballs Paco
09-06-2005, 11:34 PM
How about blindfolded and with one hand tied behind his back? :devil:

andre the great
09-06-2005, 11:37 PM
Being an Agassi fan I can only pray that Hewitt gets divine inspiration and Rogi temporarily loses his co-ordination. Cos if Baldy does get to the final he could give the Aussie a spanking. Whereas Rogi is pretty close to being unbeatable even when he plays crap

bad gambler
09-06-2005, 11:39 PM
Hewitt will beat Federer again, my only concern is that its going to be after another 20 attempts

JA is extremely patriotic, what else do you expect him to say?

Federerhingis
09-06-2005, 11:59 PM
If Federer brings his B- game he can beat Lleyton easily :rolleyes:

Not if Hewitt brings his A+ game and his double fault count is low. I would say Federer bringing his B game and isnt struggling with his serve percentage can beat a Hewitt playing his A/A+ game.

LaTenista
09-07-2005, 12:11 AM
I like how people keep acting as though there's no precedent for Roger to still win matches, playing only decent tennis for himself.

Did nobody watch Cincinnati?

He's playing better than he was there.

I was at Cincy the entire tournament, saw part or all of his matches except the one against Kiefer. I totally agree Fed was playing worse there yet he still managed to find a way to win his 6 matches and end up with his first Cincy shield.

I honestly think the only person right now who could possibly stop Roger from defending his USO crown is Agassi. But even that is a long shot since they can only meet in the final and Fed just doesn't lose on Sundays these days.

Maybe all this BS about him getting ready to lose is due to Nadal's recent showings that he's still mortal. :rolleyes:

As for Hewitt, unless something really changes, his baby should learn how to say "Fed owns my daddy". :lol:

Fergie
09-07-2005, 12:23 AM
Only in Lleyton dreams

Yoda
09-07-2005, 12:25 AM
As for Hewitt, unless something really changes, his baby should learn how to say "Fed owns my daddy". :lol:

Or "Fed's my dad's daddy" :D

Turkeyballs Paco
09-07-2005, 02:56 PM
:lol: yeah, it's not going to happen this year. Lleyton will have another crack at him ;) on, Friday?, but probably all he can hope for is to do better than the last time. Rogi is so effortless at beating most of his opponents, even when he's playing crap.

landoud
09-07-2005, 03:12 PM
hewitt will not win.. he is scared to death on the sight of federer on the other side of the net
i'm not saying that hewitt is playing horrible, no .... he is playing better than fed at the moment but he just fear facing him

Action Jackson
09-07-2005, 03:13 PM
Hewitt will win a match against Federer again, though I don't see it will happen anytime soon.

Got to love JA, he loves the big statments.

jacobhiggins
09-07-2005, 05:45 PM
Conners is no Federer, people need to stop comparing Federer to people because he's probablly better then anybody in history!