Nieminen beats Verdasco in 3, makes Finnish tennis history! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nieminen beats Verdasco in 3, makes Finnish tennis history!

Labamba
09-06-2005, 05:03 PM
Jarkko Nieminen def. Fernando Verdasco 6-2 7-6(6) 6-3 :worship: :worship: :worship:

First Finnish tennis player ever to reach Grand Slam QF :woohoo:

Congrats Jarkko!!! :aparty:

Alvarillo
09-06-2005, 05:06 PM
:smash: Fer, you're talented but very very crazy
Congrats Jarkko, now you've to be the 1st Finnish to reach the SF's of a GS
you deserve it!

federer express
09-06-2005, 05:06 PM
yes yes, well done!

always nice to see a different name doing well....

(yet more proof the peri peri man will be a constant under-achiever)

stenen
09-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Jarkko congrats!!! :banana:

alfonsojose
09-06-2005, 05:29 PM
:rolls: :rolls:

Ale10
09-06-2005, 05:30 PM
Nice job Jarkko! :)

Good luck against Lleyton!

JuanRodriguez
09-06-2005, 06:35 PM
Nice to see Nieminen back where he belongs :)

Much luck against Hewitt!!!

Björki
09-06-2005, 06:39 PM
Jarkko :clap2:
Nando :sad:

Cervantes
09-06-2005, 06:45 PM
First of all congrats to Nieminen on reaching his first grand slam quarter final. Hopefully he can do one better and peel some potato :)

But what the hell was Verdasco doing out there today? This was by far the worst performance I've ever seen from a professional tennis player!!

musefanatic
09-06-2005, 07:09 PM
I agree, as much as Jarkko deserved it, Nando certainly helped him along the way. Good luck against Hewitt!!

Timariot
09-06-2005, 07:13 PM
Verdasco plain old threw the match away. In the end Nieminen was playing like a club hacker and just let Verdasco hit 3-4 UE per game.

silverwhite
09-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Wow! Congrats! :D

Domino
09-06-2005, 07:38 PM
A deserved result for a good player. Nice job Jarkko!

rrfnpump
09-06-2005, 08:18 PM
:woohoo:
well done Jarkko :drool:
dont stop here

Alvarillo
09-06-2005, 08:40 PM
verdasco 45 winners 66 ues
nieminen 14 winners 14 ues
..... no comments

revolution
09-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Nice stuff from Jarkko, he's one of those who could go in GWH's frustrating players thread as he does have talent to make a real impact. I doubt he'll last against a Hewitt playing some fine tennis atm though.

Corinna
09-06-2005, 10:08 PM
:woohoo: jarkko :yeah:
i am so proud of you

mandoura
09-06-2005, 11:42 PM
:woohoo:

Well done Jarkko Nieminen.

Fergie
09-07-2005, 12:25 AM
Well done Jarkko!!! :woohoo:

Daniel
09-07-2005, 12:28 AM
Fernando :bigcry:

Scotso
09-07-2005, 03:48 AM
Verdasco looked really out of it. Maybe tired. Poor Nando :sad:

But Jarkko :D At least you didn't beat Karol and lose in the next round.

RogiFan88
09-07-2005, 03:54 AM
Fer played even worse than Rogi today but I'm happy for Jarkko -- can he kick Lleytons' Aussie butt??

BAMJ6
09-07-2005, 03:56 AM
Niemennen, this as far as you'll go. Hewitt has to win this because Fed needs to be beaten this US Open. Nalbadian and Hewitt are the only ones left who stand a chance on Fed's half.

Scotso
09-07-2005, 03:59 AM
Hewitt won't beat Federer.

But then with an avg 74mph second serve, Nieminen won't beat Hewitt.

Action Jackson
09-07-2005, 06:13 AM
Well played Nieminen and good to see that he is the first Finn to make the quarters of any Slam, he has always had the ability, and has fought back well from his injury.

Old Verdasco, well he was tired maybe, but it was the mental that wasn't there, couldn't be bothered moving his feet and was talking the whole time and couldn't answer Nieminen's tactics and that's a reason why Nando is frustrating.

bad gambler
09-07-2005, 06:20 AM
congrats Nieminen, like others have said always good to see a different name deep into a slam

however hewitt wont be as generous as verdasco was with all those cheap points :tape:

MariaV
09-07-2005, 06:32 AM
however hewitt wont be as generous as verdasco was with all those cheap points :tape:

Exactly.
Congrats to Jarkko but it's not like he did smth spectacular, it was more like Nando gifted it away. I don't find Jarkko a huge talent but that's just my opinion of course. He's done well enough for himself. Good for Finnish tennis anyway! :yeah:

JBrocks
09-07-2005, 06:35 AM
Jarkko :clap2:

Action Jackson
09-07-2005, 06:38 AM
Exactly.
Congrats to Jarkko but it's not like he did smth spectacular, it was more like Nando gifted it away. I don't find Jarkko a huge talent but that's just my opinion of course. He's done well enough for himself. Good for Finnish tennis anyway! :yeah:

Never occured that Nieminen's tactics were what Verdasco couldn't find an answer to. It does not have to look good, it's not ice dancing or skating where players get extra for style points. Did Verdasco make heaps of errors, yes he did? Why did that happen, it wasn't because Nieminen was cheating. :)

MariaV
09-07-2005, 07:19 AM
Oh sure Jarkko wasn't cheating or anything, he's a very nice guy as far as I can tell. :) He sure had good tactics worked out changing the pace and letting Nando make the errors. But if Nando's head had been into it he would've won easily as Jarkko's not the most versatile & talented guy out there IMO. But Jarkko's sure more hard-working than some of the hot latinos. ;)

Action Jackson
09-07-2005, 07:24 AM
Oh sure Jarkko wasn't cheating or anything, he's a very nice guy as far as I can tell. :) He sure had good tactics worked out changing the pace and letting Nando make the errors. But if Nando's head had been into it he would've won easily as Jarkko's not the most versatile & talented guy out there IMO. But Jarkko's sure more hard-working than some of the hot latinos. ;)

What ifs count for nowt. Sure Nando is more talented ability wise, but he wasn't smart enough to work out a way to handle those tactics, and whose fault is that? Nando got smashed in this match pure and simple, it's not a beauty contest and no they don't count that on the scoreboard.

If Nieminen is not that versatile, how did he manage to vary his tactics?

Kristen
09-07-2005, 07:28 AM
kom igen Jarkko of 2003!!!

**flies to NYC to cut the power to Lleyton's room/alarm clocks :tape: :bolt: **
What can I say, I have little faith! Jarkko seemed to handle Sanguinetti's mindplay ok in January, so I guess he might handle Lleyton :tape: but I don't know that the outcome will be the same! LOL GOOOO Jarkkooooo!!!!

MariaV
09-07-2005, 07:35 AM
If Nieminen is not that versatile, how did he manage to vary his tactics?

I'm a dumb blondie that knows nothing about tennis of course but I'd say he didn't have to vary the tactics much, just hit the ball back. ;) Nando was pretty much self-destructing.

JMG
09-07-2005, 07:37 AM
The commentator said that some of Jarkko's serves were so slow that the machine couldn't display a speed.

Look at how often Jarkko got broken:
Beck: 9-10 times
Phau: 3-5 times
Mirnyi: 1
Verdasco: 0

:worship:

Against Mirnyi he even made 69% of the 2nd serve points. :lol:

Action Jackson
09-07-2005, 07:40 AM
I'm a dumb blondie that knows nothing about tennis of course but I'd say he didn't have to vary the tactics much, just hit the ball back. ;) Nando was pretty much self-destructing.

Yes, still trying to downplay Nieminen's win, and yes he just hit the ball back, the same way, the whole time. I must have seen a different Nieminen play.

MariaV
09-07-2005, 07:50 AM
Oh, I'm not trying to downplay his win, it's a huge achievement for him & the whole Finnish tennis etc. And all kudos to him for winning, I was merely answering to the remark of him being oh-so talented which I don't think he is which again doesn't mean that he has no talent at all. He certainly deserves all the success. :)
Which reminded me I gotta go back to work too so ttyl. :wavey:

JuchuPati
09-07-2005, 01:27 PM
:smash: Fer, you're talented but very very crazy
Congrats Jarkko, now you've to be the 1st Finnish to reach the SF's of a GS
you deserve it!

crazy??? :( it's an ashamed that a profesional plays like he did yesterday.

I couldn't agree more with this article (it's in spanish) :

http://elmundodeporte.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/especiales/2005/08/usopen/sinred/index.html

Deivid23
09-10-2005, 02:03 PM
crazy??? :( it's an ashamed that a profesional plays like he did yesterday.

I couldn't agree more with this article (it's in spanish) :

http://elmundodeporte.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/especiales/2005/08/usopen/sinred/index.html

Looks like Verdasco is sth new for many of the posters here and of course also for this journalist. It´s not the first time nor the last one Verdasco plays like this, so you should learn to deal with that. Maybe some of you discovered the real Verdasco in that game against Nieminen, cause from what I´ve read it looked like another one of his great shows. Yes, he moans, cries and swears at his coach, he looks lazy and careless on court, but that´s something far from being a new thing. I won´t lose my hopes so easily, maybe some day his brain and attitude will start working in a different way and in that case, his victories will be the sweetest ones.