US Open Shatters First Week Records [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

US Open Shatters First Week Records

nobama
09-06-2005, 02:17 PM
US Open Shatters First Week Records (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/articles/2005-09-05/200509051125963261057.html)

Nearly 400,000 Fans Attend First Week, Including Three Consecutive Days
of Record Attendance

Website Visits Double vs. Last Year; Merchandise Sales At All-time High

FLUSHING, N.Y., September 5, 2005 - The USTA has announced that the first week of the 2005 US Open set records in attendance, website traffic and merchandise sales. The following lists the new records and other highlights through Sunday, September 4:

Attendance:

• Seven-day attendance of 392,672 is the highest of all-time (topping the previous record of 381,891 set in 2003).

• The single session attendance record of 35,484 was set Sunday, September 4, breaking the record set the previous day on Saturday, September 3.

• A new night session attendance record of 23,352 (sellout) was set on Friday, September 2 and matched on Saturday, September 3.

Website Traffic:

• First week traffic on USOpen.org was a first week record of 14.1 million visitors, doubling last year's first week record, and nearly equaling last year's 15.4 visitors for the entire 2004 tournament.

• Each visitor returned to the site an average of six times during the week.

• Average length of stay totals more than 70 minutes for each unique visitor and access to live scores including the new IBM Point Tracker is the site's most popular area.

Merchandise:

• Merchandise sales hit record first week levels.

• On-site merchandise sales are at record levels, up 17%.Interesting...night session attendance record was on Friday, when the main attraction was Fed/Santoro and not an American player. Maybe that had more to do with the fact it was Friday and not who was playing. But it still proves (along with other attendance figures) that these dolts in the media are talking crap when they say nobody cares about tennis in the USA, Roger doesn't get any love here, no one would watch now that Andy Roddick is out, ect. I think CBS said their TV viewership was up 15%. And to think the day after Roddick lost the idiots on ESPN were saying nobody cares and nobody will watch now that he's out. :rolleyes:

DJ dropshot
09-06-2005, 02:25 PM
Venus Williams was the main attraction on Friday night.

mangoes
09-06-2005, 02:35 PM
Friday night was one of the most interesting nights. Venus was great and the perfect person to get the night going. Then Roger's match was spectacular.............. Plus, I think a lot of people wanted to see Roger in action. They have been doing a lot of marketing around him in NY and the curiosity is there about him.

tennisphan
09-06-2005, 02:36 PM
I have been to 4 sessions so far this open, and here's the USTA's little secret....

THEY ARE SELLING WAY TO MANY GROUNDS PASSES.

I have been going to the open my whole life, and it has never been so overpopulated as this year. sometimes you have to wait several changeovers to gain admission to back courts, and when you do get in, good luck finding a seat.

Sure its great that tennis seams to be gaining popularity (not to mention PERFECT weather this whole open), but when your selling so many tickets, it DIMINISHES the experience for everyone.

If you going to have record attendance, know your crowd. The worst example was Thursday 11am. They had Guga vs. Robredo on court 11 (which was the most packed I have ever seen a back court), while there was a very low attended 'American' matches happening on both Armstrong and Grandstand (Dechy vs King (womens) & Brian Baker vs Malisse)

Jimnik
09-06-2005, 02:39 PM
This is great news. One of the things that has always been disappointing about this slam is the empty stands but this year it doesn't seem so bad. Even without the statistics, it's clear to see, on TV, that more seats are being sold.

mangoes
09-06-2005, 02:43 PM
If you going to have record attendance, know your crowd. The worst example was Thursday 11am. They had Guga vs. Robredo on court 11 (which was the most packed I have ever seen a back court), while there was a very low attended 'American' matches happening on both Armstrong and Grandstand (Dechy vs King (womens) & Brian Baker vs Malisse)

I agree with you on this point.

Jimnik
09-06-2005, 02:53 PM
I have been to 4 sessions so far this open, and here's the USTA's little secret....

THEY ARE SELLING WAY TO MANY GROUNDS PASSES.

I have been going to the open my whole life, and it has never been so overpopulated as this year. sometimes you have to wait several changeovers to gain admission to back courts, and when you do get in, good luck finding a seat.

Sure its great that tennis seams to be gaining popularity (not to mention PERFECT weather this whole open), but when your selling so many tickets, it DIMINISHES the experience for everyone.

But, in fairness to the US Open, they offer all these passes but they don't expect to sell them all. If they sell out more often, I'm sure they'll re-think their ticketing structure. I think this is an unusual year because, as you said, the weather has been perfect so many people have been taking advantage.

Good point you make about knowing your crowd. I think many tournaments, not just the US Open, make these mistakes. It can be very annoying.

Billy Moonshine
09-06-2005, 02:53 PM
sometimes i wonder if the guys who do the scheduling and decide the courts know anything about tennis. Most tennis fans would chose watching Guga over Dechy or malisse, surely!