Ok what happened with Coria and Massu? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Ok what happened with Coria and Massu?

ugotlobbed
09-06-2005, 05:23 AM
I saw it but didnt really understand what happened, someone fill me in please.

Scotso
09-06-2005, 05:25 AM
They hate each other, were mocking each other, and were throwing verbal assaults at one another. Just like any normal club match.

Chloe le Bopper
09-06-2005, 05:34 AM
In a nutshell? Coria is awesome.

*Ljubica*
09-06-2005, 05:36 AM

Coria accused Massu or faking an injury and said he had done it in previous matches. So at the change of ends Massu went up to him at asked him if he had issues.........so Coria started shouting and told him he was "paranoid" and should keep his "issues" to his side of the net. Then at the end, Coria jumped over the net (didn't wait for Massu to approach it), and they had a very perfunctory handshake. Pretty par for the course with Coria really :rolleyes:

Chloe le Bopper
09-06-2005, 05:37 AM
Coria accused Massu or faking an injury and said he had done it in previous matches. So at the change of ends Massu went up to him at asked him if he had issues.........so Coria started shouting and told him he was "paranoid" and should keep his "issues" to his side of the net. Then at the end, Coria jumped over the net (didn't wait for Massu to approach it), and they had a very perfunctory handshake. Pretty par for the course with Coria really :rolleyes:

This was about as objective as my post on the matter.

Scotso
09-06-2005, 05:40 AM
I think what Massu said to Coria went more along the lines of: @#%@ ^@$#%@%# @^@#% @#%@# @@#% @%@#^ @#%@ @#@#%!

[note: edited for out younger viewers]

oneandonlyhsn
09-06-2005, 05:41 AM
Massu got what he deserved, he just faced a player who knows all the tricks in the book

*Ljubica*
09-06-2005, 05:43 AM
I think what Massu said to Coria went more along the lines of: @#%@ ^@$#%@%# @^@#% @#%@# @@#% @%@#^ @#%@ @#@#%!

Yes - there was some of that in it too!!! I was being polite!!!!

Clara Bow
09-06-2005, 05:45 AM
I thought that it was Massu who accused Coria of faking the toenail thing? Then Coria said he was paranoid. Prior to that Coria was muttering loudly about Massu taking so long between points, and Massu - per the guys at CBS- said something along the lines of "are you talking to me" and the shouting across the court ensued. I don't know what the Coria talking to Massu at the chairs was about- maybe that was the "paranoid" thing.

Coria is a little devil for sure, but god help me if he is not one of my favorites. I just love watching his matches, they are always entertaining- to me both in play and just that he has lays it all out.

LaTenista
09-06-2005, 05:45 AM
I'd like to know if that ATP guy that had to stand in between them during that changeover was also "on guard" in the locker room after the match. :scratch:

I really hope Ginepri delivers a beat down to Coria on Wednesday, my disdain of his personality/antics is far outshadowing the respect I had for his talent these days.

liptea
09-06-2005, 05:46 AM
My favorite Coria moment is when he was in Rome and he can't remember that they're playing a tiebreaker, and Rafa like looks at him like he's stupid and nods like Guillermo's retarded. It was so funny. I replayed it 239845723895345 times.

Scotso
09-06-2005, 05:47 AM
Coming from a Pierce fan, Massu did take too much time. It was the time he took between first and second serves that was really annoying.

Scotso
09-06-2005, 05:48 AM
I'd like to know if that ATP guy that had to stand in between them during that changeover was also "on guard" in the locker room after the match. :scratch:

I really hope Ginepri delivers a beat down to Coria on Wednesday, my disdain of his personality/antics is far outshadowing the respect I had for his talent these days.

I hope we get word that they fought it out. My money is on Massu.

liptea
09-06-2005, 05:49 AM
Thanks to Massu, I officially boycott Goldfish. So I think Guillermo's a genius.

oneandonlyhsn
09-06-2005, 05:50 AM
Coming from a Pierce fan, Massu did take too much time. It was the time he took between first and second serves that was really annoying.

Ditto, I love Mary but I usually fast forward her service periods, Massu was killing me with the time he was taking. I kept going serve already idiot to my TV screen :lol:

Chloe le Bopper
09-06-2005, 05:53 AM
I hope we get word that they fought it out. My money is on Massu.
Mine too. Coria is undoubtedly a plucker little scrapper, but Massu looks like he would crush him with his thumb. Coria's best chance would be to outrun Massu - a likely possibility, so long as Massu doesn't get a hold of him first - and taunt him from a distance.

liptea
09-06-2005, 05:57 AM
Mine too. Coria is undoubtedly a plucker little scrapper, but Massu looks like he would crush him with his thumb. Coria's best chance would be to outrun Massu - a likely possibility, so long as Massu doesn't get a hold of him first - and taunt him from a distance.

Maybe Massu and Gaudio will form an army of sorts.

Chloe le Bopper
09-06-2005, 05:59 AM
Maybe Massu and Gaudio will form an army of sorts.
Probably. Because Gaudio? Really wants him DEAD.

I hope that they wear uniforms and have an army marching band.

liptea
09-06-2005, 06:01 AM

ooh! And cheerleaders!

Chloe le Bopper
09-06-2005, 06:04 AM
Will we be the cheerleaders? I sort of think Coria rules, so I'm not sure that I could do it. I could play the tuba, though.

liptea
09-06-2005, 06:08 AM
Will we be the cheerleaders? I sort of think Coria rules, so I'm not sure that I could do it. I could play the tuba, though.

I'll cheerlead for Gaudio but not for Massu. Thanks to Massu, I gave up Goldfish.

Chloe le Bopper
09-06-2005, 06:11 AM
I dont' get the Massu and Goldfish connection :(

liptea
09-06-2005, 06:15 AM
I dont' get the Massu and Goldfish connection :(

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b3/Athens2004MenSinglesPodium.jpg

Chloe le Bopper
09-06-2005, 06:19 AM
Ah, of course!

Plastic Bertrand
09-06-2005, 06:38 AM
That match provided some laughs, just wish there was a larger crowd there though. It is not like Coria and Massu are not irritating in their own respective ways. Coria trying to call the lines like he is playing on satellites and Massu taking a minimum 2 minutes in between points, the abrasive nature of the match made it more fun to watch.

liptea
09-06-2005, 07:04 AM
Ah, of course!

DUH.

mardy fiissh Is sOoOoOoOoOoOo kewl!!!11one!!!eleven111!!!onehundredeleven!!!111 so hawt!!!!!1111

JMG
09-06-2005, 07:13 AM
Has Massu never got a time warning?

Nikki♥
09-06-2005, 07:54 AM

Mary :woohoo:

Sorry for being :topic:

sigmagirl91
09-06-2005, 08:44 AM
My favorite Coria moment is when he was in Rome and he can't remember that they're playing a tiebreaker, and Rafa like looks at him like he's stupid and nods like Guillermo's retarded. It was so funny. I replayed it 239845723895345 times.

:haha: :haha:

sigmagirl91
09-06-2005, 08:46 AM

Are they gonna enlist Hewitt to be the drum major?

Chloe le Bopper
09-06-2005, 09:01 AM
I'm not sure that I can imagine any of the Argentines banding together with Hewitt, even if it is for a common cause ;)

sigmagirl91
09-06-2005, 09:02 AM
I'm not sure that I can imagine any of the Argentines banding together with Hewitt, even if it is for a common cause ;)

Ya never know. Stranger things have happened.

safdem
09-06-2005, 09:04 AM
:haha: coria :yeah:

Truc
09-06-2005, 10:02 AM
I didn't see the match, so I don't know if this article is true, but it makes sense the way it presents the whole story. There were two different things: first Coria thought Massu's injury timeout was too long and then the toenails thing.

Emotions Flare as Coria Beats Massu in Five Sets
By KAREN CROUSE, New York Times
"(...) The ill will between two players who, according to Massu, have no history of bad blood started after the third-set tie breaker, when Massu requested an injury timeout during the changeover because of his sore left hamstring.

Play evidently did not resume soon enough to satisfy Coria, who bounded out of his chair and took his place behind the baseline and impatiently bounced the ball until Massu set up to receive the serve. Coria started the fourth set with a double fault, which undoubtedly did nothing to improve his mood.

But the madder Coria seemed to get, the better he played. He committed three unforced errors in the fourth set after averaging 12 in the first three. The hostilities between them snowballed after Coria seemed to dally between points on his serve in the second game of the fifth set. He said afterward that three of his toenails had ripped off.

Massu, who had never won a set against Coria in two previous meetings, said something to Coria, who said something back, the beginning of a verbal volley that lasted so long that someone in the Armstrong Stadium crowd shouted, "Play ball!"

After Massu held serve at 1-2 in the fifth, the players exchanged words during the changeover, their voices and gesticulations growing animated enough that Mike Morrissey, the tournament supervisor, hurried over to try to put a lid on it.

Coria said later that he told Massu: "Stop being paranoid. Mind your own business."

Coria also told Massu to "take care of your own game," which Massu was unable to do. He committed 16 unforced errors in the last set, converted 44 percent of his first serves and produced a paltry two winners off his forehand side. (...)"
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/06/sports/tennis/06coria.html

Action Jackson
09-06-2005, 10:32 AM
It was great TV.

its.like.that
09-06-2005, 10:59 AM

oh very clever.

thanks for sharing that.

:retard:

sigmagirl91
09-06-2005, 11:00 AM
It was great TV.

Even better theatre.

Mrs. B
09-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Dos cervezas, por favor!

Mistaflava
09-06-2005, 12:40 PM
Massu got what he deserved, he just faced a player who knows all the tricks in the book

you call running around like a little rat 'tricks in the book'????

Mistaflava
09-06-2005, 12:41 PM
oh very clever.

thanks for sharing that.

:retard:

:haha:

Socket
09-06-2005, 01:03 PM
Coria thinks everybody's shit smells except his own. :rolleyes:

onewoman74
09-06-2005, 01:09 PM
MTF decided to delete my thread on Coria needing a good ass whooping...which he does in my estimation. He's bumped heads w/ too many people on the ATP tour...does anyone like Coria except his wife? He's a dick!! I don't care if Massu was playing w/ his head...as a player you need to rise above it, but of course he sinks to the level of a second grader...typical!!

liptea
09-06-2005, 01:12 PM
MTF decided to delete my thread on Coria needing a good ass whooping...which he does in my estimation. He's bumped heads w/ too many people on the ATP tour...does anyone like Coria except his wife? He's a dick!! I don't care if Massu was playing w/ his head...as a player you need to rise above it, but of course he sinks to the level of a second grader...typical!!

I like him. If everyone was a graceful hero in tennis, there'd be no one interesting left. Also, Guillermo looks like a second grader, and I fully support him acting like on. VAMOS GUILLE!!!

thrust
09-06-2005, 01:13 PM
I dislike both of them, hopefully, Robby will oust Coria in three!

Sparko1030
09-06-2005, 01:17 PM
I'll cheerlead for Gaudio but not for Massu. Thanks to Massu, I gave up Goldfish.

In defense of Massu I have to say that the Olympic final was the first tennis match I'd seen in years and I watched because a US player was in the final. I was all set to root for Fish but he soon displayed what I felt was very unsportsman like behavior taking joy in Nico's phsyical problems, and rooted for the exhausted Massu who displayed what I feel was the very heart of being an athlete. I had no preformed opinions of either player at the time and that was how I saw that. Now Nico is no angel but I see Fish as a big baby who lost a match of his life, a match he thought he had won before they even set foot on the court and he was like a kid who has his candy taken away from him when he lost.

And say what you want about Nico, its Coria who has the greater history of not getting along with other players. He seems to bring out the worst in other plalyers. Nico is annoying with his taking so long with his serves but he rarely gets into fights.

Experimentee
09-06-2005, 01:28 PM
It seems like everyone is lining up in the locker room to get at Coria. Off the top of my head I can think of Massu, Gaudio, Hewitt and Clement who have clashed with Coria in the past and would dearly love to punch him in the face.

liptea
09-06-2005, 01:29 PM
In defense of Massu I have to say that the Olympic final was the first tennis match I'd seen in years and I watched because a US player was in the final. I was all set to root for Fish but he soon displayed what I felt was very unsportsman like behavior taking joy in Nico's phsyical problems, and rooted for the exhausted Massu who displayed what I feel was the very heart of being an athlete. I had no preformed opinions of either player at the time and that was how I saw that. Now Nico is no angel but I see Fish as a big baby who lost a match of his life, a match he thought he had won before they even set foot on the court and he was like a kid who has his candy taken away from him when he lost.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

You just dissed Mardy and that means I can't be your friend anymore. thanks for playing.

onewoman74
09-06-2005, 01:31 PM
It seems like everyone is lining up in the locker room to get at Coria. Off the top of my head I can think of Massu, Gaudio, Hewitt and Clement who have clashed with Coria in the past and would dearly love to punch him in the face.

When it happens pls send me the video...also u forgot Agassi...he's part of that list also!! ;)

Sparko1030
09-06-2005, 01:43 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

You just dissed Mardy and that means I can't be your friend anymore. thanks for playing.

Well, you dissed Nico first! ;) Should have beat you to the punch so to speak I guess. Sorry you took it so badly Liptea. And that was just my honest reaction to the match I saw. And it was nothing personal. I hate when I see fueds going on b/t posters. Different opinions.

shotgun
09-06-2005, 02:16 PM
When it happens pls send me the video...also u forgot Agassi...he's part of that list also!! ;)

Don't forget Fernando Gonzalez (in Rome '05) and Luis Horna (in Hamburg '04). Honestly, i don't like Coria because his really badly intentioned. He complains all the time and pressures the linesman when he's losing. He's an arrogant, sore loser (as Hewitt said). And after the matches, he doesn't recognize it and tries to blame the opponents. He reminds me of argentine football players like Ariel "Burrito" Ortega or Guillermo Schelloto, who try to piss off the opponent all the time, so he will react and the referee will sent him off. There are two characteristics that made Coria a top 10 player: His speed and the "milonga".

gillian
09-06-2005, 02:18 PM
Even better theatre.

It sure was. When I saw the highlights on USA, I was really sorry I missed the match. Coria seems like one surly, troublemaking guy, but I somehow, cannot bring myself to dislike him (although I have tried).

Action Jackson
09-06-2005, 02:20 PM
Don't forget Fernando Gonzalez (in Rome '05) and Luis Horna (in Hamburg '04). Honestly, i don't like Coria because his really badly intentioned. He complains all the time and pressures the linesman when he's losing. He's an arrogant, sore loser (as Hewitt said). And after the matches, he doesn't recognize it and tries to blame the opponents. He reminds me of argentine football players like Ariel "Burrito" Ortega or Guillermo Schelloto, who try to piss off the opponent all the time, so he will react and the referee will sent him off. There are two characteristics that made Coria a top 10 player: His speed and the "milonga".

Interesting description, the Horna one was a classic.

RogiFan88
09-06-2005, 02:40 PM
AA also was NOT impressed w Guille's behaviour in Miami.

Action Jackson
09-06-2005, 02:45 PM
AA also was NOT impressed w Guille's behaviour in Miami.

Funny how AA forgets all the times he was a prick, that selective memory must be kicking in again.

RogiFan88
09-06-2005, 02:49 PM
Yep, it's also funny how these guys keep accusing others of the thing they are guilty of!! ;)

Action Jackson
09-06-2005, 02:51 PM
Yep, it's also funny how these guys keep accusing others of the thing they are guilty of!! ;)

Some of them, not all of them, but there a lot of pots and black kettles flying about.

trulliscorpion
09-06-2005, 02:59 PM
The best part was undoubtly the Swiss umpire shouting "Tranquilos! Tranquilos!"

Jogy
09-06-2005, 03:08 PM
I don't get it why so much South American players are so huge idiots
Zabaleta a non respectful asshole, Coria every time trouble (Hewitt Davis Cup, against Massu), Nalbandian one of the total asses with tantrums like I never saw it against Schuettler, Massu provocant prick, Rios one of the biggest idiots in tennis ever, added to that two or three more dopers
they must be doing anything very wrong :retard:

trulliscorpion
09-06-2005, 03:14 PM
What was the story with Horna about? :p

lau
09-06-2005, 03:15 PM
"they must be doing anything very wrong"?????

liptea
09-06-2005, 03:38 PM
Well, you dissed Nico first! ;) Should have beat you to the punch so to speak I guess. Sorry you took it so badly Liptea. And that was just my honest reaction to the match I saw. And it was nothing personal. I hate when I see fueds going on b/t posters. Different opinions.

I really don't hate Nico, I just LOVE Mardy. Besides, I just like to make fun of Nico.

Remember kids: mardy fiissh Is sOoOoOoOoOoOo kEwLlL!!!11one!!!eleven111!!!onehundredeleven!!!11 1 so haWt!!!!!1111

amierin
09-06-2005, 03:42 PM

Where can I see a video of this?

onewoman74
09-06-2005, 03:47 PM

see, even Rafa knows he's an idiot! LOL!!!

Sparko1030
09-06-2005, 03:53 PM
I really don't hate Nico, I just LOVE Mardy. Besides, I just like to make fun of Nico.

Remember kids: mardy fiissh Is sOoOoOoOoOoOo kEwLlL!!!11one!!!eleven111!!!onehundredeleven!!!11 1 so haWt!!!!!1111

After rereading my original post I guess I did get a little mean about Fish....Guess he can't be too bad if he's a good friend of James Blake.
And one last comment-there's a new variety of Goldfish out there called Blasted Goldfish-they're really good, my kids love em. ;)

onewoman74
09-06-2005, 03:59 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/06/sports/tennis/06coria.html

Emotions Flare as Coria Beats Massu in Five Sets

By KAREN CROUSE
Published: September 6, 2005
The fourth-round match yesterday between Nicolas Massu and Guillermo Coria lasted longer than any other at this United States Open. Coria dispatched Massu, 6-4, 2-6, 6-7 (5), 6-2, 6-2, in 4 hours 32 minutes, and it can safely be said the match did not end a minute too soon.

Coria, an Argentine, and Massu, a Chilean, spent the fifth set exchanging thrilling shots, icy stares and angry words. The ill will between two players who, according to Massu, have no history of bad blood started after the third-set tie breaker, when Massu requested an injury timeout during the changeover because of his sore left hamstring.

Play evidently did not resume soon enough to satisfy Coria, who bounded out of his chair and took his place behind the baseline and impatiently bounced the ball until Massu set up to receive the serve. Coria started the fourth set with a double fault, which undoubtedly did nothing to improve his mood.

But the madder Coria seemed to get, the better he played. He committed three unforced errors in the fourth set after averaging 12 in the first three. The hostilities between them snowballed after Coria seemed to dally between points on his serve in the second game of the fifth set. He said afterward that three of his toenails had ripped off.

Massu, who had never won a set against Coria in two previous meetings, said something to Coria, who said something back, the beginning of a verbal volley that lasted so long that someone in the Armstrong Stadium crowd shouted, "Play ball!"

After Massu held serve at 1-2 in the fifth, the players exchanged words during the changeover, their voices and gesticulations growing animated enough that Mike Morrissey, the tournament supervisor, hurried over to try to put a lid on it.

Coria said later that he told Massu: "Stop being paranoid. Mind your own business."

Coria also told Massu to "take care of your own game," which Massu was unable to do. He committed 16 unforced errors in the last set, converted 44 percent of his first serves and produced a paltry two winners off his forehand side.

"He played better, and I make a lot of mistakes," said Massu, who finished with 80 unforced errors. "I don't think that I lose the match because I start to speak with him. He played better than me in the important moments, and that's it."

Massu expressed respect for Coria as a player, saying, "You have to win the point like four, five, six, seven times." But he seemed befuddled by his deportment. "If his conscience is calm, then fine," he said. "If it's not, then he knows he did something wrong.

"I've got nothing negative to say about Guillermo. I've never felt that we've had a special rivalry. On the contrary, I've always respected him. But he was showing an attitude that I didn't like. He knows what he did. I hope it was just a misunderstanding. I hope that's all it was. And maybe we can talk about it later. I'd appreciate an apology."

Coria could not understand what the fuss was about. The exchange of words, he said through an interpreter, was due to "a misunderstanding." When pressed on the matter by English-speaking reporters, he looked at the Spanish-speaking news media as if to say: Can you believe these guys?

"Four and a half hours," he said. "That was it."

Massu is not the first player to take issue with Coria's behavior on court. In a semifinal victory against Andre Agassi in Rome in May, Coria indicated that a ball that Agassi had hit was out before it bounced. "That behavior is unacceptable," Agassi told reporters afterward.

If Agassi and Coria win their quarterfinal matches, they will meet in the semifinals.

TennisLurker
09-06-2005, 03:59 PM
Don't forget Fernando Gonzalez (in Rome '05) and Luis Horna (in Hamburg '04). Honestly, i don't like Coria because his really badly intentioned. He complains all the time and pressures the linesman when he's losing. He's an arrogant, sore loser (as Hewitt said). And after the matches, he doesn't recognize it and tries to blame the opponents. He reminds me of argentine football players like Ariel "Burrito" Ortega or Guillermo Schelloto , who try to piss off the opponent all the time, so he will react and the referee will sent him off. There are two characteristics that made Coria a top 10 player: His speed and the "milonga".

He reminds me of Schelloto too, Schelotto is 10 times worse anyway.

liptea
09-06-2005, 04:23 PM
there's a new variety of Goldfish out there called Blasted Goldfish-they're really good, my kids love em. ;)

:haha: :haha: The food of Chileans!

Chloe le Bopper
09-06-2005, 05:19 PM
My computer.

shotgun
09-06-2005, 05:32 PM
What was the story with Horna about? :p

Coria was losing the second set and started complaining (what a dick!) that Horna was moving too much when he (Coria) would serve. He said Horna to stop it, and they started discussing, shouting at each other, from one side of the court to the other, and the crowd was in total silence. Then Horna said: "mira que yo no soy Gaudio!" (Look, I am not Gaudio!) :boxing:

+alonso
09-06-2005, 05:55 PM
I can't stand why ppl is saying that nico was the asshole.. come on!!!! if someone laugh at you you'll ask him/her why...and if him/her told you go to sit down!!! i'll be very pissed off!!!

onewoman74
09-06-2005, 06:19 PM
Nico may annoy people on how slow he plays, but he never gets into arguments w/ other players during a match. I mean has anyone argued w/ Pierce on the court about how slow she plays?

Coria is not a nice guy and we know that, but to me it goes beyond likeability. I think he's spoiled in his demeanor and just doesn't know how to be a good sport...everything annoys him while he's on court...if your mentally strong you can be able to play your game even if someone is getting under your skin. I think Coria is not able to do that, so line calls, a person playing slow or if someone calls a trainer interrupts his flow...these are things you need to deal w/ while your out on the court... he needs to get on w/ it and get over it!!

+alonso
09-06-2005, 06:36 PM
Nico may annoy people on how slow he plays, but he never gets into arguments w/ other players during a match. I mean has anyone argued w/ Pierce on the court about how slow she plays?

Totally agree :yeah:

undomiele
09-06-2005, 07:10 PM
I think both were upset with the way they were playing and took out their frustrations on eachother. Nothing more, nothing less. They actually get along in real life.

Auscon
09-06-2005, 08:19 PM
Go Coria :)

Try and get under Ginepri's skin too :)

tennischick
09-06-2005, 09:20 PM
that was one nasty match. i have never seen a national rivalry played out as much in a tennis match. both sides (of fans as well as players) were ugly.

buddyholly
09-06-2005, 10:38 PM
Would Maradona have Coria on his TV show in Argentina if he had beaten anyone but a Chilean in the round of 16? I think not. Just goes to show that the feeling in Argentina is more that he beat a Chilean, rather than that he is in the quarterfinals of a slam. It is gloating rather than joy.

tennischick
09-06-2005, 10:43 PM
Would Maradona have Coria on his TV show in Argentina if he had beaten anyone but a Chilean in the round of 16? I think not. Just goes to show that the feeling in Argentina is more that he beat a Chilean, rather than that he is in the quarterfinals of a slam. It is gloating rather than joy.
i cannot disagree with this. except to say that it is BOTH gloating AND joy.

the problem with this is that Coria almost no longer needs to win the USO. that would just be a bonus. his highpoint is that he beat the Chilean opponent. not saying that he himself doesn't want to win. just that many of his fans will forgive him if he doesn't. or at least the fans those of his fans that i was exposed to.

buddyholly
09-06-2005, 10:49 PM
i cannot disagree with this. except to say that it is BOTH gloating AND joy.

the problem with this is that Coria almost no longer needs to win the USO. that would just be a bonus. his highpoint is that he beat the Chilean opponent. not saying that he himself doesn't want to win. just that many of his fans will forgive him if he doesn't. or at least the fans those of his fans that i was exposed to.

OK, 60% gloating and 40% joy. And I think the adulation he is getting in Argentina will just encourage his antagonistic behaviour.

alelysafina
09-06-2005, 11:03 PM
Does anyone have a tape of the match? or is it somewhere on the internet? I really have to see this!

tennischick
09-07-2005, 03:39 AM
OK, 60% gloating and 40% joy. And I think the adulation he is getting in Argentina will just encourage his antagonistic behaviour.
from what i hear Coria has always been a tad confrontative in his style. i wouldn't blame Argentinean adulation for any of his actions. just so you know. :p

undomiele
09-07-2005, 07:02 AM

Oh gimme a break. Everyone knows tv shows are about ratings. The reasons why Maradona would have Coria on his show this last Monday (and Im not sure he did) are the same reasons any other talk show host would want to have a marginally controversial player on their show. Its just entertainment - hardly representative of a nation's feelings please. :rolleyes:

The truth is most argentines have a lot more serious things to think and talk about than an oversensationalized tennis spat. This is already old news...

I myself for example have always liked and respected Massu. And Im sure a lot of argentines feel the same way. :)

(BTW: there are a lot of argentines who absolutely hate him. But you wouldnt know that would you? With you living in the US and all... :rolleyes: )

buddyholly
09-07-2005, 11:01 AM
(BTW: there are a lot of argentines who absolutely hate him. But you wouldnt know that would you? With you living in the US and all... :rolleyes: )

Easy on the rolleyes, with overuse they may stick that way.
I do not now, nor have I ever, nor will I ever live in the US. I have not spent an afternoon in DC and joined the ranks of world-wise travellers like you.

undomiele
09-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Easy on the rolleyes, with overuse they may stick that way.
I do not now, nor have I ever, nor will I ever live in the US. I have not spent an afternoon in DC and joined the ranks of world-wise travellers like you.

I find your principles rather strange coming from someone who is quick to disseminate his pigeon-hole opinion of an entire population of Argentines.

Resist spending an afternoon in DC? I think it would do you a real world of a good actually. Tolerance is a good thing... :)

undomiele
09-07-2005, 11:59 AM
But returning to the issue at hand... Massu's interview after the match showed he had significantly cooled down. He even openly rated Coria's ability to score points during key moments as better than his... I don't know. It seems to be that this was just a case of two males getting irritable and letting the long match and fan conditions get to them. It was all blown out of proportion and that both appeared conciliatory in the post-match interviews highlights that fact IMO.

trulliscorpion
09-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Coria was losing the second set and started complaining (what a dick!) that Horna was moving too much when he (Coria) would serve. He said Horna to stop it, and they started discussing, shouting at each other, from one side of the court to the other, and the crowd was in total silence. Then Horna said: "mira que yo no soy Gaudio!" (Look, I am not Gaudio!) :boxing:

Thanks a lot! :haha:

Sparko1030
09-07-2005, 03:39 PM
I don't know but I think the Chile/Argentina rivalry is being made too much of for this match. I've never been to either country but I do know the Chileans play the Argentines all the time and it never seems to come up with the players anyway. Gonzalez just played Nalbandian and it never came up. Very sportsmanlike behavior there. Once again I'll say Coria has a history of bringing out the worst in people and the fact that he is from Argentina is just coincidence. Argentina surely cannot have national rivalries with all the nationalites of players Coria has angered! :lol:

sawan66278
09-07-2005, 04:09 PM
I know this has been covered before...but what exactly did Coria do to Gaudio that they hate each other so much....I remember watching the French final last year, and feeling sorry for Coria, and there seemed no hatred then...I'm sure I'm missing something though...

shotgun
09-07-2005, 04:29 PM
I know this has been covered before...but what exactly did Coria do to Gaudio that they hate each other so much....I remember watching the French final last year, and feeling sorry for Coria, and there seemed no hatred then...I'm sure I'm missing something though...

OK, here´s the timeline:

- 2001: They face each other in the Vina de Mar final, and Coria wins. The following week, they meet again in Buenos Aires, Gaudio wins and puts on an Independiente (his favorite football club) shirt, as some way to piss Coria off (he´s a River Plate fanatic).

- 2003: They play the Hamburg semifinal, Coria wins the first set and when he´s losing the second set, interrupts the match by faking an injury. Then comes back and playing like he was 100%, wins the third set. There are rumors that they screamed bad things at each other in the locker room, after the match.

- 2003: Coria, allegedly injured, gives up playing the Davis Cup semifinal tie aginst Spain in Malaga. Gaudio substitutes him, and loses the two matches he plays in a really easy way. He´s very criticised by the press and the argentine tennis federation (AAT) members, and says: "At least, I came." - in a clear allusion to Coria.

- 2005: Gaudio criticizes Coria by pulling off from his match in the World Team Cup in Dusseldorf against Chile. He said that that was not a team, because there were persons that made decisions without consulting the other players.

sawan66278
09-07-2005, 04:56 PM
Is there more? I thought there was something involving a fight after a match...Was it Gaudio who started everything? And what exactly happened between Coria and Agassi?

lau
09-07-2005, 05:07 PM
Geeeez, do you need more? :lol:
No, this has become a snowball here. Everyone speaks of a fist fight between them but it`s not true (or at least there are no proofs and I never heard of that rumor outside MTF). Even Horna said to Coria : "Mirà que no soy Gaudio" ("Look, I`m not Gaudio") I dont know if it`s clear what that means in English, but in Spanish it clearly means he would actually punch him, not like Gaudio... ;)
So, no fist fight, as far as I know... But some people here would swear there was a fist fight.... Even when they only heard about it here :lol:

sawan66278
09-07-2005, 05:31 PM
What about Agassi and Coria? What happened there?

shotgun
09-07-2005, 06:13 PM
Is there more? I thought there was something involving a fight after a match...Was it Gaudio who started everything? And what exactly happened between Coria and Agassi?

The rumors of a fist fight between them are related to the episode in the locker room after the match in Hamburg 2003. But until now, it has never been more than rumors. I´m sure that we´ll know what truly happened there, like 10 years from now, when Coria or Gaudio go to Maradona TV´s show hehehe. Or to that show called "Mar de Fondo", where Maradona confessed that the water a brazilian football player drank in the World Cup 90 match was poisoned by an argentine crew member.

shotgun
09-07-2005, 06:16 PM
What about Agassi and Coria? What happened there?

Agassi got irritated by Coria´s behaviour in their match in Rome this year, because Guillermo constantly complained with the linesman about balls that were actually in.

sawan66278
09-07-2005, 07:40 PM
:hug: I had read somewhere that it was because Coria was calling balls out before they landed...any truth to this...

If so...what justice was served last year at the French...Two CHAMPIONSHIP points...gone to none other than Gaudio :)

undomiele
09-07-2005, 07:47 PM
Agassi got irritated by Coria´s behaviour in their match in Rome this year, because Guillermo constantly complained with the linesman about balls that were actually in.

Agassi needs to stop being offended by the exact same kind of behaviour he exhibited when he had hair and could fit into a tight pair of neon shorts. :rolleyes:

shotgun
09-07-2005, 09:53 PM
Agassi needs to stop being offended by the exact same kind of behaviour he exhibited when he had hair and could fit into a tight pair of neon shorts. :rolleyes:

I agree with that. So as Coria needs to look in the mirror and stop complaining about others for things he has also done in the past.