No one talking about Hewitt [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

No one talking about Hewitt

dmit424
09-06-2005, 05:07 AM
Not a single night match yet, the experts aren't mentioning him as a contender... And usopen.org's preview for tomorrow has him taking five sets to defeat Hrbaty. I say a straight set or four-set victory.

Now, granted, Federer almost certainly spells doom for the guy, but I still believe he's the 2nd best hard court player in the world... Sure he lost to Roddick at Cincy, but his hardcourt record has been killer vs. everyone but Federer. His main thing is confidence, and I think what he needs to focus on against Federer is taking care of his serve in the set and force a tiebreak... Hewitt's power has improved, and his serve also. I think if Hewitt is really clicking were he to meet Federer, it could certainly get more interesting than their past matches. That being said, Fed would still be the clear favorite...

But this guy is a past champion and still one of the best players around, and possibly 2nd best on hardcourt. He's my favorite player, and it just saddens me to see that everyone seems to completely write him off... But that's how he wins, anyways. I was really proud of him for having a god-awful serving day against Dent and still pulling that out, amidst the highly pro-American crowd. Others haven't been able to overcome that, in large.

Chloe le Bopper
09-06-2005, 05:13 AM
I haven't been mentioning Hewitt, since I assume he's going to lose three swift sets to Roger. If he was in the other side of the draw he would be the obvious finalist.

Hewitt hasn't been written off. People generally expect him to live up to his seeding. Nothing more, nothing less ;)

dmit424
09-06-2005, 05:16 AM
Being a Hewitt fan, I'm in such a bad position. I always get psyched for his matches vs. Federer and I go get a snack, or take a restroom break, and Roger is already walking standing smiling and talking to the crowd on a microphone...

tangerine_dream
09-06-2005, 05:20 AM
Somtimes it's better to fly under the radar.

Clara Bow
09-06-2005, 05:22 AM
Being a Hewitt fan, I'm in such a bad position. I always get psyched for his matches vs. Federer and I go get a snack, or take a restroom break, and Roger is already walking standing smiling and talking to the crowd on a microphone...

I'm sorry to laugh at your pain but that was funny. :lol:

venusfan
09-06-2005, 05:23 AM
This isn't the Australian Open

Turkeyballs Paco
09-06-2005, 05:37 AM
No, they wouldn't be too interested in Hewitt, unless he manages to beat Federer somehow. Whether he makes it to the semi or not at this point, there are no big surprises so, no reason really to talk about him.

Has anyone been watching the press conferences on tennis channel? I have... and every day they interview James Blake, whether he played or not. :rolleyes: To be fair, they have interviewed Hewitt every day that he has played.

Lleyton probably likes keeping a low profile anyway. :shrug:

liptea
09-06-2005, 05:38 AM
I dunno about you, but I talked about Lleyton yesterday at breakfast in relation to Roger. And no offense, but I had bagels yesterday for breakfast. COINCIDENCE???

dmit424
09-06-2005, 05:46 AM
I'll be upset if Hewitt gets bageled again. I really will, I admit. It just hurts when your favorite player gets bageled. And especially last USO, it was more like a pretzel there were so many "holes" in the scoreboard readings.

And yeah, after Safin pulled out, Hewitt's draw became like some kind of tier-2 event, before the semis.

victory1
09-06-2005, 05:51 AM

:D

Scotso
09-06-2005, 05:52 AM
Go Dominik! :p

bad gambler
09-06-2005, 05:54 AM
because there are so many americans doing well in their home slam, and that is fair enough

Auscon
09-06-2005, 05:54 AM

Same :) Even with belting after belting, I still get really excited at each matchup, still believing he can topple Roger each time :)

dmit424
09-06-2005, 05:57 AM
Same :) Even with belting after belting, I still get really excited at each matchup, still believing he can topple Roger each time :)

Hey, you have to look at it that way :) and hopefully Lleyton does also. Go Lleyton!