Coria, Gasquet, Agassi & Federer - Issues. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Coria, Gasquet, Agassi & Federer - Issues.

prima donna
09-05-2005, 11:07 PM
Gasquet Please beat Ginepri, I'd love nothing more than to see the grinding, crafty and speedy Guillermo play Gasquet. It's time that some new talent manifest itself and actually have an influence on the outcome of titles.

I'd like to see:

Coria or Gasquet against Federer in the USO Final. That would be very nice. I feel like Roger is losing credit by beating the same players over and over, in the history books, it would look much better if he were to beat a young player filled with potential than to beat someone 35 years old ... we all know that if Agassi beat him it'd be the greatest feat ever (according to americans atleast), but if he beat Agassi ... the Anti-Federer would mob the scene "wow, beating a washed up and exhausted 35 year old ... what an accomplishment "

I feel like they are handicapping him, you know, Roger cannot control who wins or loses what ... to beat Coria or Gasquet would look nice in the record books ... this post sounds a bit premature because Nalbandian lurks and even Hewitt (the way Fedex has played, he would not beat Hewitt) ... just saying that the same faces always popping up are starting to bore me ... hopefully young talent will prevail ...

Federer V Gasquet - For USO Final.

Imagine that ...

Has a nice ring to it.

megadeth
09-05-2005, 11:16 PM
thing is, fed will get shot down by critics more if he played someone who doesn't have much GS experience in the final.

get it?

adee-gee
09-05-2005, 11:18 PM
Federer's going to win the final easily whoever he plays unfortunately. Much to the detriment of mens tennis. Only an inspired Agassi could give him any trouble. Or possibly Blake if he's majorly hot like he was against Nadal. Highly unlikely though.

Roger The Great
09-05-2005, 11:22 PM
... this post sounds a bit premature because Nalbandian lurks and even Hewitt (the way Fedex has played, he would not beat Hewitt)

God, how tired am I hearing people say all year that Fed hasn't been playing well here, hasn't been playing well there. He hasn't dropped a set yet in the tournament and his last two opponents have played pretty much as well as they can. He's had a lot more winners than errors in all of his matches as well. What the hell does he have to do to be playing well?? 1-1-1 in all of his matches?? :rolleyes:

megadeth
09-05-2005, 11:22 PM
i think blake's dream run would put him in the finals, but will lose to fed.

that's my prediction.

thing is, if it's an agassi-coria semi, i don't think andre would have anymore left in his tank. coria's known for those delicate drop shots that tires agassi out (last time they played was in rome).

lucashg
09-05-2005, 11:23 PM
First Federer has to make the finals. He doesn't have an easy draw, Kiefer has caused him some troubles this year, although it's 3-0 in Roger's favour and Nalbandian everyone knows he is one of the few that owned Roger 'til recently. Hewitt is no piece of cake and there's always a possibility of playing a fired-up Verdasco and Hrbaty too is a threat.

Roger is the favorite and I believe he'll win the US Open, but let's not get carried away like this. I'd love if Coria or Gasquet makes the USO finals, they'd shut up a LOT of people, but Agassi still is the most likely choice.

oneandonlyhsn
09-05-2005, 11:27 PM
Federer's going to win the final easily whoever he plays unfortunately. Much to the detriment of mens tennis. Only an inspired Agassi could give him any trouble. Or possibly Blake if he's majorly hot like he was against Nadal. Highly unlikely though.

:p Crush em all Fed

willie
09-05-2005, 11:32 PM
First Federer has to make the finals. He doesn't have an easy draw, Kiefer has caused him some troubles this year, although it's 3-0 in Roger's favour and Nalbandian everyone knows he is one of the few that owned Roger 'til recently. Hewitt is no piece of cake and there's always a possibility of playing a fired-up Verdasco and Hrbaty too is a threat.

Roger is the favorite and I believe he'll win the US Open, but let's not get carried away like this. I'd love if Coria or Gasquet makes the USO finals, they'd shut up a LOT of people, but Agassi still is the most likely choice.

good post:bigclap:
i think federer is going to have it difficult this time to get in the final.

Roger The Great
09-05-2005, 11:33 PM

I agree... I think it would be great for tennis to see Gasquet in the final or a guy like Blake. But Agassi is definitely the most likely. Blake could certainly beat him but will need to play amazing once again. Coria has never beaten Agassi on hard courts and has never really troubled him except on the clay.

belgampaul
09-05-2005, 11:34 PM
:p Crush em all Fed

With Fed tennis gets a bit too mucjh predictable. I hope Marat gets his knee healthy and gets his confidence back. But honestly even inspired Andre will suffer from Fed. It's a hard reality :(

richie21
09-05-2005, 11:36 PM

if gasquet was fit ,he could give a few(not many but a few) problems to rodger, i think :)
mark my words,in the upcoming years,federer will not have it as easy as now and the reason won t be roddick,hewitt,safin or even nadal but gasquet :cool:

this guy is on the verge to become the real deal,still a few things to fix and he'll be great

megadeth
09-05-2005, 11:38 PM
if it's a coria-agassi semi and if agassi wins it, he'll have nothing left for the final considering how much running agassi had to do to play coria in their last meetings

that's how it happened in 2002 when he had to beat hewitt in the semis.

oneandonlyhsn
09-05-2005, 11:39 PM
if gasquet was fit ,he could give a few(not many but a few) problems to rodger, i think :)
mark my words,in the upcoming years,federer will not have it as easy as now and the reason won t be roddick,hewitt,safin or even nadal but gasquet :cool:

True :worship:

BAMJ6
09-05-2005, 11:45 PM
FWIW, Agassi's been in 5 USO finals and went 2-3. All 3 losses were to Pete Sampras, one of the greatest in the game all time. He's 2-0 against those not named Pete Sampras in US Open finals. Also, Andre won every Grand Slam Final against someone who isn't Pete Sampras since the 1991 French Open Final loss to Courier.

Agassi has a puncher's chance if he gets to Sunday. He did take Fed to 5 last year.

prima donna
09-06-2005, 12:14 AM
God, how tired am I hearing people say all year that Fed hasn't been playing well here, hasn't been playing well there. He hasn't dropped a set yet in the tournament and his last two opponents have played pretty much as well as they can. He's had a lot more winners than errors in all of his matches as well. What the hell does he have to do to be playing well?? 1-1-1 in all of his matches?? :rolleyes:

Good point, but the problem is:

Many people weren't Federer supporters before he became the juggernaut that he is today.
I remember him, when he was human and played human on many occasions. I remember when Andy Roddick, was actually a challenge for him and now it seems as if Roddick is playing checkers, while Roger is playing Chess. This is Professional Tennis, anybody can be beat on any day. Roger is certainly not invincible.

1). I see Roger playing at a level far below his capability.
2). I see his opposition licking their lips, thinking he's ripe for the picking.

Nalbandian beats Roger because he doesn't fear him, Nalbandian remembers Fedex when he was human and has been injured for the last 2 years ... to Nalbandian Federer is just another player in the draw ... he can take Roger out ... I wouldn't even look past Kiefer at this point.

Allure
09-06-2005, 12:26 AM
A Gasquet/Federer final would be muy fantastico. :D

nobama
09-06-2005, 12:31 AM
How can anyone say that Fed wouldn't beat Hewitt? Roger owns Lleyton, and it's not as if Lleyton has been playing that well this tournament. A tough five setter against Dent, the match previous he had more UE's than winners. Of course anything can happen, but to say Lleyton would beat Roger because of the way Roger's been playing is :silly:

Roger The Great
09-06-2005, 12:51 AM
Good point, but the problem is:

Many people weren't Federer supporters before he became the juggernaut that he is today.
I remember him, when he was human and played human on many occasions. I remember when Andy Roddick, was actually a challenge for him and now it seems as if Roddick is playing checkers, while Roger is playing Chess. This is Professional Tennis, anybody can be beat on any day. Roger is certainly not invincible.

1). I see Roger playing at a level far below his capability.
2). I see his opposition licking their lips, thinking he's ripe for the picking.

Nalbandian beats Roger because he doesn't fear him, Nalbandian remembers Fedex when he was human and has been injured for the last 2 years ... to Nalbandian Federer is just another player in the draw ... he can take Roger out ... I wouldn't even look past Kiefer at this point.

I completely agree that Fed is not invincible and that you can't look past anyone left in this draw. Kiefer has been playing Fed tough of late and Nalbandian can be a threat (though he wasn't the last two times they played). However I still fail to see why people are saying Fed is playing far below his capability and isn't playing well. Again, he hasn't dropped a set, he's playing very clean tennis (approx. 2-1 winners-errors) and this is pretty much the norm for him for the first week of a slam. Why is he playing poor?? Because he's had a few tough sets??

And to say Lleyton would beat him right now is a little tough to believe. Lest we forget, Fed wasn't dominant for most of last year's Open and Hewitt hadn't dropped a single set going into the final. We know how that final went. Form can change from one match to the next and match-ups are different.

AgassiFan
09-06-2005, 01:11 AM
we all know that if Agassi beat him it'd be the greatest feat ever (according to americans atleast), but if he beat Agassi ... the Anti-Federer would mob the scene "wow, beating a washed up and exhausted 35 year old ... what an accomplishment "

And you know why everyone will think that? Because it's true!

35.5 year-old Agassi with a bad back shouldn't even come close to taking a set from arguably the most talented player to ever pick up a racquet performing at his peak... let alone defeat him in Best-of-5.

I don't think Andre can beat Blake or Gasquet at this point. Unfortunately.

mangoes
09-06-2005, 01:16 AM
I'd also like to see Gasquet win, but I really do think he needs to work on his endurance.

BAMJ6
09-06-2005, 01:27 AM
And you know why everyone will think that? Because it's true!

35.5 year-old Agassi with a bad back shouldn't even come close to taking a set from arguably the most talented player to ever pick up a racquet performing at his peak... let alone defeat him in Best-of-5.

I don't think Andre can beat Blake or Gasquet at this point. Unfortunately.

And you call yourself Agassifan? I might understand the Fed part of it, but Blake and/or Gasquet showing Andre the door? I doubt that.

willie
09-06-2005, 01:39 AM
Nalbandian-Agassi final would be great too:yeah:

megadeth
09-06-2005, 01:51 AM
Nalbandian-Agassi final would be great too:yeah:

ugh! nalby in the final? boring...

just like an agassi-schuetler final in the AO... totally boring...

AgassiFan
09-06-2005, 03:20 AM
And you call yourself Agassifan? I might understand the Fed part of it, but Blake and/or Gasquet showing Andre the door? I doubt that.

Did you see him barely get past a fairly tired Malisse? Gasquet and Blake are playing on a totally different level right now.

Andre is not serving as well as he needs to (outside of that one brilliant game in the 5th), and not stepping into his backhand enough - he had, what, 5 or 7 winners off his BH in the entire 5 set match today? Are you kidding me!

BAMJ6
09-06-2005, 03:57 AM
Did you see him barely get past a fairly tired Malisse? Gasquet and Blake are playing on a totally different level right now.

Andre is not serving as well as he needs to (outside of that one brilliant game in the 5th), and not stepping into his backhand enough - he had, what, 5 or 7 winners off his BH in the entire 5 set match today? Are you kidding me!

Yes i saw Agassi get past Malisse today. I admit i didn't see Andre play well in the 3rd set TB and 4th set, but the 5th set he got through. A day off should do Agassi good considering that. He'll be right back to himself Wednesday night. If Federer was next, then i'm worried about him, but i'm not worried about Blake or Gasquet

dmit424
09-06-2005, 04:31 AM
It doesn't matter who he plays. Roger will look good any way you slice it. He is the best. Haters can deny, but it's really silly, he's clearly the best player out there. Nadal can beat him on hard, but he has a lot of catching up to do. I don't know what happened at Nasdaq, but looking at Nadal this past week and looking at Federer, it certainly looked like Nadal would have trouble taking even a set off of Fed.

AgassiFan
09-06-2005, 04:35 AM
It doesn't matter who he plays. Roger will look good any way you slice it. He is the best. Haters can deny, but it's really silly, he's clearly the best player out there. Nadal can beat him on hard, but he has a lot of catching up to do. I don't know what happened at Nasdaq, but looking at Nadal this past week and looking at Federer, it certainly looked like Nadal would have trouble taking even a set off of Fed.

My big 4 going back to their teens, as I said earlier, are Federer, Safin, Nadal, Gasquet. (Roddick makes it 5 if he can ever get over the mental block like Blake did this USO.) Each of them can beat one another if one plays his 'A' game, while the other 'B' game or worse. Of course, Safin is injured and Nadal/Gasquet are still in their teens and 1-2 years from their prime.

Federer is the most talented of the Big 4, but if he ever gets complacent, you'll see the others start beating him.

dmit424
09-06-2005, 04:42 AM
My big 4 going back to their teens, as I said earlier, are Federer, Safin, Nadal, Gasquet. (Roddick makes it 5 if he can ever get over the mental block like Blake did this USO.) Each of them can beat one another if one plays his 'A' game, while the other 'B' game or worse. Of course, Safin is injured and Nadal/Gasquet are still in their teens and 1-2 years from their prime.

Federer is the most talented of the Big 4, but if he ever gets complacent, you'll see the others start beating him.

Well, Safin obviously has the talent to beat anyone, but that's been said so much it's annoying. He played his absolute best, it seemed to be, to barely pull by Roger. Nadal still has a ways to go to be a top-3 hardcourt player... He simply wasn't able to do anything about Blake's power. Gasquet on hard vs. Federer? I would not give him much of a chance. Clay, different story, as we know. But very different surfaces. I just think if those three were up to par with Fed, they would be having much more hardcourt success. Hewitt has had considerably more faster-court sucess than Nadal or Gasquet, and arguably more than Safin also. I think you should replace Federer with Hewitt, add Roddick, and add Agassi to that list. Take out Safin and put him in the "Who knows?" category. And put Federer above all. His titles speak, as they should. It's not fair to say those men are at his level, when he has only one loss on anything but clay for the entire year.

richie21
09-06-2005, 04:49 AM
I'd also like to see Gasquet win, but I really do think he needs to work on his endurance.

...and to not have injuries ;)

Gasquet on hard vs. Federer? I would not give him much of a chance.

well he would have a lot more chance than nadal anyway

megadeth
09-06-2005, 04:50 AM
i think nadal's weakness has also been exposed by blake. all you gotta do is just be aggresive enough and hit deep low bouncing balls to the guy...