Blake def Robredo 4-6, 7-5, 6-2, 6-3! Into the Quarters!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Blake def Robredo 4-6, 7-5, 6-2, 6-3! Into the Quarters!!!

tangerine_dream
09-05-2005, 11:07 PM
James Blake, the Cinderalla Man (cheers to the one who came up with that nickname), is the best story of the US Open this year.

:banana: :bounce: :dance: :banana: :bounce: :dance: :banana: :bounce: :dance:

Let the haters stomp their angry little feet over the J-Block: a group of 30-odd evil jingoistic Americans who are James' closest friends and family who saw the hell he went through in the past year and are at USO to cheer him on and celebrate his comeback.

To paraphrase what Robredo himself said before he stepped out onto the court, "Crowds don't win matches, players do." And James won. Fair and square. Well done James!

:D :rocker2: :woohoo: :bigclap: :hatoff: :cool: :dance:

Scotso
09-05-2005, 11:09 PM
Since you have trouble reading, no one has claimed that the J Block cost Robredo the match, we simply point out the obvious - they have no respect.

Clara Bow
09-05-2005, 11:13 PM
Let the haters stomp their angry little feet over the J-block:

I'm not a hater at all and James has always been one of my favorites. I know that James has been through a lot and am thrilled for him. But that doesn't mean that I have to like the fact that the J-Block repeatedly taunted Lopez at the Pilot Pen final or the fact that they have jeered and yelled insults at some of Blake's oppenents at this US Open. I think that even though they are blissfully happy for him, that doesn't mean that I have to agree that it gives J-Block carte blance to be rude and disrespectful to the James' opponents by jeering them. They weren't as bad today, but have been very insulting to some of the players in the past couple of weeks.

Just because some people may not be pleased with all of the actions of the J-Block means that they are a "hater." I'm pleased as punch that Blake is doing so well, I just sometimes wish that his friends could be more respectful to some of his opponents. You can cheer your player without trying to belittle their opponent, and I wish the J-Block would do more of that.

Pheobo
09-05-2005, 11:14 PM
On a less angry note:

Yay james :D :bounce:

Jennay
09-05-2005, 11:16 PM
:banana: :banana: :banana:

Scotso
09-05-2005, 11:18 PM
Oh, and tangerine... calling me a "cocksucking princess" might make you feel good about yourself, but it only further shows me how pathetic you are.

JMG
09-05-2005, 11:18 PM
:worship:

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

tangerine_dream
09-05-2005, 11:20 PM
Since you have trouble reading, no one has claimed that the J Block cost Robredo the match, we simply point out the obvious - they have no respect.
Tell me exactly how the Block screaming "James! James! James!" is disrespectful to his opponents? :rolleyes: I've watched both the Nadal and Robredo matches and heard no jeering or insults that you claim to have happened.

BTW, thanks for the neg rep. Check yours, Princess :kiss:

oneandonlyhsn
09-05-2005, 11:21 PM
Oh, and tangerine... calling me a "cocksucking princess" might make you feel good about yourself, but it only further shows me how pathetic you are.

:( Sorry mate,

Anyway James :banana: Good luck in the next round

tangerine_dream
09-05-2005, 11:25 PM
I give as good as I get. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Congrats to James! :banana:

Foot_Fault
09-05-2005, 11:26 PM
I'm not a hater at all and James has always been one of my favorites. I know that James has been through a lot and am thrilled for him. But that doesn't mean that I have to like the fact that the J-Block repeatedly taunted Lopez at the Pilot Pen final or the fact that they have jeered and yelled insults at some of Blake's oppenents at this US Open. I think that even though they are blissfully happy for him, that doesn't mean that I have to agree that it gives J-Block carte blance to be rude and disrespectful to the James' opponents by jeering them. They weren't as bad today, but have been very insulting to some of the players in the past couple of weeks.

Just because some people may not be pleased with all of the actions of the J-Block means that they are a "hater." I'm pleased as punch that Blake is doing so well, I just sometimes wish that his friends could be more respectful to some of his opponents. You can cheer your player without trying to belittle their opponent, and I wish the J-Block would do more of that.
you're a Hater..Lying Ass.
James in a press conference addressed the J-Block at the Pilot Pen.

He said he was happy when they was Cheering Lopez's name at the awards ceremony. They dont cheer and jeer against. They are there for James.
Calm the freak down. He got to get out of this Cheerless state with tennis.

Clara Bow
09-05-2005, 11:29 PM
I've watched both the Nadal and Robredo matches and heard no jeering or insults that you claim to have happened.

From what I have seen on tv and from accounts that I have heard/read from people who have been at the matches in person I have read that some of the J-Block doing the "hey hey hey, goodbye" to Andreev and that during Pilot Pen they made fun of Lopez's looks and attire. Not too nice in my opinion. And I don't like cheering of opponent's first serve faults - no matter whose fans or in what country they do it in. (I know they did that during Davis Cup in Spain and even thought Davis Cup allows for more partisanship I still didn't like it.)

I like it when the J-Block cheers for James, it is just the other stuff I wish they would cut out.

you're a Hater..Lying Ass.

Wow- that was harsh.

I think that it is alright for people to have different opinions or be able to say that they are not pleased with everything without being labled a "hater."

I like a lot of players but I don't think everything about any of them is perfect. I really like James, but that does not mean that I have to think that the J-Block is perfect.

cobalt60
09-05-2005, 11:32 PM
What is important is that James won!!!! He is playing great tennis; so keep up being patient and going for the shots at the right time! Next- Agassi

thrust
09-05-2005, 11:40 PM
James won, because he was the better player. I am sure if this match had been in Spain the crowd would have been wildly pro Robredo, which is the way it should be. This is not stodgy old Wimbledon. Whatever, I would love to see Blake go all the way!

Clara Bow
09-05-2005, 11:49 PM
Anyways- back to the match for me - I will refrain from commenting on the J-Block lest I be called a hater ;). I was only able to see the second set on but I was really impressed with how when James had his back to the wall he didn't crumble. True, Robredo left a bit mentally, but James got his game and mentality at the same time. And once James got his game in the second set, he kept if for the remainder of the match. I think the old James would have lost his game in the third. Boy was it just a month or two ago that we were lamenting how James had a hard time closing out matches? How he has changed in these past weeks!

James is quite simply playing with more continued confidence than I have ever seen him play. And when his confidence clicks, his game clicks.

Now maybe if Robredo, Verdesco and other streaky players could take notes from James' mental transformation, I think that would be great to see all of these players who- like James- have the talent but have had real patchiness in matches.

mishar
09-06-2005, 12:03 AM
Great job James! He came out playing awful but when Robredo had a let down he took it and played better and better and totally dominated in the third and fourth set.

Fergie
09-06-2005, 12:23 AM
Well done James!!! :bounce:

Tommy! :hug:

Cris
09-06-2005, 12:38 AM
James :rocker2: Bravo!
Tommy :sad: :hug:

Iheartandy&roger
09-06-2005, 12:42 AM
Way to go James you're the bomb! :woohoo::rocker2::devil:

Neely
09-06-2005, 02:06 AM
Well played by Blake again. I thought that Robredo would go up 2-0 sets, but then Blake turned it around before the end of the 2nd set.

What a surprise with Blake to see him in the quarterfinals!

rofe
09-06-2005, 02:23 AM
Well played by Blake again. I thought that Robredo would go up 2-0 sets, but then Blake turned it around before the end of the 2nd set.

What a surprise with Blake to see him in the quarterfinals!

Blake certainly took complete advantage of Tommy's choke job in the 2nd. Blake did not turn it around. Tommy handed it to him in a platter in the 2nd. Blake was really flat in the first two sets but kudos to him for going for the kill at the first sniff of blood. In the 3rd and 4th, he started playing like the James Blake who won over Nadal.

I am really happy that he is able to keep it together mentally. His match against Agassi will be very interesting.

Golfnduck
09-06-2005, 03:57 AM
Great job James :yeah: I really hope he makes it to the semis :woohoo:

I♥PsY@Mus!c
09-06-2005, 04:05 AM
Like both players,but I fell asleep and missed this match. :o
Not surprised the result.Congrats James, :yeah: congrats Tommy to take a set too. :)

Sparko1030
09-06-2005, 04:32 AM
What is important is that James won!!!! He is playing great tennis; so keep up being patient and going for the shots at the right time! Next- Agassi

I agree Cobalt! I'm so happy James is doing so well here! What a great story.

Castafiore
09-06-2005, 06:52 AM
The J-Block.

I really do sense a double standard at times.

When guys like Hewitt show all their emotions on the court, positive and negative...some people talk about tennis being a gentleman's sport and bad 'gamesmanship' and not being fair on the opponent. When Hewitt celebrates a double fault of his opponent during a crucial time of the match, he's called a jerk. So when his fans say that the other guy needs to be mentally tough enough, that defence is dismissed. After all, it's a gentleman's sport and showing your emotions like that is not fair.

The J-Block were cheering loudly for James. I have no problem with that at all (on the contrary, I can understand it that they are very happy to see James doing so well) but cheering mistakes of the opponent and taunting the opponent is too much but then all of a sudden...when others say that they go a bit far in their support for their James, people who complain about it need to stop being so sensitive about it? :confused:

Double standard. One guy has a cinderella story so everything is good.
The other one has a negative image so people are less lenient towards him.

One of the reasons why I like Hewitt is that I have seen him give strong performances when the public was very aggressive towards him. That USO match against Sampras sticks out for me. Hostile crowd but he gave them the best possible answer: beat the other guy in front of his own crowd. Best way to shut them up.
And that's what all the opponents of Blake need to do: answer with the racquet and prepare yourself for that crowd.

landoud
09-06-2005, 06:56 AM
:woohoo: :woohoo: :worship:

MariaV
09-06-2005, 08:34 AM
Ah Tommy. :sad:

safdem
09-06-2005, 09:05 AM
big congrats to james
good luck, hope to see him in the final :bounce:

Choupi
09-06-2005, 09:28 AM
Good job James! :yeah:

bavaria100
09-06-2005, 09:54 AM
Great comeback by James. :yeah: Honestly, in the first two sets James seemed to be asleep. He played awful and looked as if he didn´t realize that he´s on the court. But after Tommys little breakdown when he was serving for the set (I think he hit 2 dfs in that service game), he was totally on fire and played like a man possesed. Sadly :sad: , I wasn´t surprised that Tommy wasn´t able to win the match after he blew the chance to go up by 2-0 sets. But still he put up a great fight and didn´t give up. :yeah: James was just the better player in the end.

hitchhiker
09-06-2005, 10:09 AM
BLACK FEDERER ROLLS ALONG.

enqvistfan
09-06-2005, 12:27 PM
congrats James :yeah:
Good luck for the next round !!! Great to see U back !!!

Björki
09-06-2005, 12:29 PM
Congrats James :clap2:

garylanders
09-06-2005, 02:05 PM
Great match James! Now destroy Agassi aswell =)
The J-Block is a different story though, I dont know these people, but they seem like a bunch of idiots to me.

wcr
09-06-2005, 05:51 PM
It's not too late Tommy! Get someone to teach you how to close a game, set and a match for crying out loud. That second set was yours.