"J Block" is going a bit overboard in these matches. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

"J Block" is going a bit overboard in these matches.

Scotso
09-05-2005, 11:46 PM
They were doing it against Nadal, and now against Robredo. I hope that people watching in other countries don't think that we're all like that.

Cheering for your favorite is fine, but these people are cheering Robredo's errors, faults, and double faults... and even taunting him. Have a heart, the guy should have beaten your fave in three sets and had a major let down, I don't think he needs to hear it from you.

All I can say is that they better not pull that kind of crap against Agassi, or they'll be booed out of the stadium.

lucashg
09-05-2005, 11:49 PM
Today it's mainly them doing all the job, they were far worse when Blaked played Nadal, but the whole stadium was highly pro-Blake. I guess they thought this match was gonna be a lot easier.

I'll be waiting until they do that against Agassi, I don't think it'll be pretty, the rest of the stadium probably will shut them up. :p

KoOlMaNsEaN
09-05-2005, 11:50 PM
I've never liked americans/american crowds. They are too one sided and are a mile from overboard. Yelling not cheering after first serve faults,double faults. It's stupidity.
Thats why I like the Australian Open and not the us open

evanzo
Yep, this JBlock crowd have been disgusting, they were taunting Nadal during their match and now the do the same to Robredo.

amierin
They were doing it against Nadal, and now against Robredo. I hope that people watching in other countries don't think that we're all like that.

Cheering for your favorite is fine, but these people are cheering Robredo's errors, faults, and double faults... and even taunting him. Have a heart, the guy should have beaten your fave in three sets and had a major let down, I don't think he needs to hear it from you.

All I can say is that they better not pull that kind of crap against Agassi, or they'll be booed out of the stadium.

I agree. I'm an American and I believe in fair play. These people are in corporate boxes and not where players friends and families usually sit. That says it all for me. If they pull that crap against Agassi they'll be thrown out.

Foot_Fault
09-05-2005, 11:51 PM
Oh Hater...Let it go! Why do we hold tennis to this "UNCHEERABLE" Standard? Cheering makes it fun and enjoyable, entertaining...all that good stuff.

Leave the J-Block alone. No different from the Brazilians, or Chileans...i personally love the Davis Cup Atmosphere.

Tennis Fool
I had no problem with them today. The stadium was lethargic after Agassi, and so was I. They pumped it up.

tangerine_dream
:zzz:

federer express
09-05-2005, 11:53 PM
the whole crowd has been piss poor.
there is screaming when the players are throwing the balls up to serve.
they are too noisy during the points.
they are screaming abuse at players.

fine, support your favourite in a massively over-the-top manner, but at least shut your dumb asses up during the points!

Scotso
09-05-2005, 11:53 PM
Oh Hater...Let it go! Why do we hold tennis to this "UNCHEERABLE" Standard? Cheering makes it fun and enjoyable, entertaining...all that good stuff.

Leave the J-Block alone. No different from the Brazilians, or Chileans...i personally love the Davis Cup Atmosphere.

Clarify why I am a hater?

And I even stated in my post that cheering is fine. No doubt you would have been one of those blue-shirted morons, so whatever.

Foot_Fault
09-05-2005, 11:56 PM
Clarify why I am a hater?

And I even stated in my post that cheering is fine. No doubt you would have been one of those blue-shirted morons, so whatever.
:rolleyes:

lucashg
09-05-2005, 11:57 PM

What do brazilians and chileans have to do with anything in this thread? He talked about the J-Block, not americans in general.

Davis Cup atmosphere is nice, during Davis Cup or a football match.

Scotso
09-05-2005, 11:58 PM
:rolleyes:

Exactly what I thought.

Clara Bow
09-05-2005, 11:59 PM
Cheering makes it fun and enjoyable, entertaining...all that good stuff.

There is a difference between cheering for your player and jeering and yelling insults at the opponent, which is what the J-Block has done in addition to just cheering James on. In my opinion, hurling insults and jeering the other player goes too far and is frankly, just rude.

Cheering and jeering are two different things and the J-Block has been doing a little too much of the latter here and at the Pilot Pen for my taste.

Pheobo
09-06-2005, 12:02 AM
I think the louder the crowd is, the more entertaining it is to watch on TV...

But that's just me :)

Jogg
09-06-2005, 12:03 AM
There is a difference between cheering for your player and jeering and yelling insults at the opponent, which is what the J-Block has done. In my opinion, hurling insults and jeering goes too far.

Cheering and jeering are two different things and the J-Block has been doing a little too much of the latter here and at the Pilot Pen for my taste.

:yeah: exactly

it'll be interesting to see how they behave against Agassi

federer express
09-06-2005, 12:05 AM
best atmosphere at a slam match in recent times...ivanisevic-rafter wimbledon final! they were loud and 'into' the match, but gave great support to both players. respect is the word.

croat123
09-06-2005, 12:09 AM
the j-block shows no respect for his opponents.

funny thing is, when blake played davis cup (yeah, the competition where the crowd is supposed to be one-sided) in croatia, he complained that the crowd was terrible and that it was one of the worst crowds that he's played in front of. :o

nermo
09-06-2005, 12:18 AM
it's not a bit overboard, it's too much overboard, as a beginning, they're too noisy even during playing :confused: :confused: , they cheered for Robredo's faults, at a moment most of the crowds stopped greeting Robredo's winners specially in the third set..these are strong stressing factors,it can affect players on big shots , (even professionals) so it wasn't that fair kind of support :mad:
BUT, i don't expect this 'll be repeated against Agassi by any means..for plenty of reasons..

ca1houn
09-06-2005, 12:24 AM
I've never liked americans/american crowds. They are too one sided and are a mile from overboard. Yelling not cheering after first serve faults,double faults. It's stupidity.

It not just Americans crowds everybody has there biases the French crowd against Nadal was much worst. Blake small cheering section does not represent all American fans. I agree that James fan are a bit much, but if you start well and get up on James you can shut them up quick

tennisphan
09-06-2005, 12:24 AM
I watched them on TV in other matches, and saw them today 1st hand.

all I have to say is.... WHAT A BUNCH OF LOSERS!!!!

Im all about cheering, but for excellent tennis, not for opponents errors.

today, they were VERY disrespectful, but not as bad as the Andreev match, when the LOSER-BLOCK was cheering "nah nah nah nah, nah nah nah nah, hey hey hey, good bye"

This is NOT college basketball, or davis cup.

mandoura
09-06-2005, 12:26 AM
best atmosphere at a slam match in recent times...ivanisevic-rafter wimbledon final! they were loud and 'into' the match, but gave great support to both players. respect is the word.

:yeah:

mandoura
09-06-2005, 12:33 AM
There is a difference between cheering for your player and jeering and yelling insults at the opponent, which is what the J-Block has done in addition to just cheering James on. In my opinion, hurling insults and jeering the other player goes too far and is frankly, just rude.

As usual CB, very well put.

Sometimes, being disrespectful to the opponent might have a negative effect. It might push neutral people over to his side. As much as I like Blake, was cheering for him and am very happy he won, at the beginning of the 3d set, I was beginning to shift a bit towards Robredo's side. I wouldn't have minded had he won.

propi
09-06-2005, 12:50 AM
I never thought US Open crow were so annoying :o
I hope no one complains about Roland Garros next year :o

mishar
09-06-2005, 01:05 AM
Whatever. Some people cheered some double faults. I've seen a lot worse. They cheered for Robredo's good shots too.

Socket
09-06-2005, 01:07 AM
The J-Block reminds me of the Fanatics, but only without the great t-shirts. ;)

Allure
09-06-2005, 01:22 AM
I watched them on TV in other matches, and saw them today 1st hand.

all I have to say is.... WHAT A BUNCH OF LOSERS!!!!

Im all about cheering, but for excellent tennis, not for opponents errors.

today, they were VERY disrespectful, but not as bad as the Andreev match, when the LOSER-BLOCK was cheering "nah nah nah nah, nah nah nah nah, hey hey hey, good bye"

This is NOT college basketball, or davis cup.

I didn't watch that match, but that is rude. :(

star
09-06-2005, 02:40 AM
Oh those people in Blue were beyond annoying. Stupid rich people in their stupid rich box.

But, I've seen other annoying cheeering too.

Some people seem to think the Fanatics are annoying too. :angel:

federer express
09-06-2005, 02:41 AM
all this said, maybe we can cut blake's fans a little slack, when you consider what he has been through...

star
09-06-2005, 02:41 AM
The J-Block reminds me of the Fanatics, but only without the great t-shirts. ;)

And the interesting cheers, and then they stay in their special suite close to their liquor supply. :)

star
09-06-2005, 02:42 AM
all this said, maybe we can cut blake's fans a little slack, when you consider what he has been through...

His fans haven't been through what he's been through so why should I cut them slack?

star
09-06-2005, 02:44 AM
The thing I hate the most is when they start chanting USA USA USA.

It's not a team sport, it's an individual sport. That might be ok for the Olympics, but it only seems parochial during a grand slam.

lau
09-06-2005, 02:49 AM
:lol: And what about "Chi-chi-chi-le-le-le Chile Chile" and "Vamos vamos Argentina..." ;)

HappyAndie
09-06-2005, 02:50 AM
His fans haven't been through what he's been through so why should I cut them slack?
From what I have been able to gather, the "J block" is a group of James's personal friends. Therefore, I think we can infer that they have been through it all with James. They deserve some slack.

Socket
09-06-2005, 02:54 AM
It's the best of both worlds for Blake. He gets to continue his march toward tennis sainthood while his friends do the dirty work of irritating his opponents with their cheers and noise. But, hey, if his opponents get rattled, that's their problem.

lau
09-06-2005, 02:58 AM
I know what he has been through, but if I continue hearing "what-he´s-been-through" in 3 months it will really start to piss me off. I`m happy he`s doing so well, and I know he`s having a great performance considering all, but I don´t want the "what-he´s-been-through" thing to continue for more than 3 months... Please, please...

Paul Banks
09-06-2005, 03:02 AM
"My favourite lost".

Boo fucking hoo.

Chloe le Bopper
09-06-2005, 03:36 AM
Yeah, they are annoying... but big deal. Some tennis fans and players can be SO prissy ;)

Sagiel
09-06-2005, 03:40 AM
:lol: And what about "Chi-chi-chi-le-le-le Chile Chile" and "Vamos vamos Argentina..." ;)

Those are a little annoying too, no big deal, but save them for the Davis Cup. As it has been said before, tennis is an individual sport and tennis players represent themselves and themselves only.
Sometimes I wish more casual tennis fans would learn to appreciate players not for their nationality, but for their game. Theres nothing wrong with enjoying seeing your own succeed, but if you cant look beyond nationality when "supporting" a player, then I'm not so sure you can call yourself a tennis fan.

Overall, I found the crowds at this year USO a little bit too noisy (for my liking), but there's no problem as long as it doesn't bother the players.

mishar
09-06-2005, 03:51 AM
All the fans (at least at the USO) chant national names at tennis match. I don't understand it frankly. I was at the Peer-Vento-Kabchi match Friday (I know -- don't ask! LOL) and all the Vento fans just kept calling out "GO Venezuela!" never "Go Maria". A bit strange.

The crowds are a lot less partisan than they are in Paris.

mangoes
09-06-2005, 03:52 AM
Yep, this JBlock crowd have been disgusting, they were taunting Nadal during their match and now the do the same to Robredo.

Actually Nadal mentioned it in his post interview. They are going too far and since I already dislike Blake, they really do piss me off...................lololol

mangoes
09-06-2005, 03:55 AM

That's a load of crap. We cheered Muller when he beat Roddick.

mangoes
09-06-2005, 03:57 AM
I never thought US Open crow were so annoying :o
I hope no one complains about Roland Garros next year :o

US Open still can't touch Roland Garros crowd in the way they acted.

Clara Bow
09-06-2005, 04:09 AM
Actually Nadal mentioned it in his post interview.

This is what Nadal said after the match about the J-Block. Not a condemnation but an acknowledgement that they did do thinkgs like cheer his faults...

Q. How did the impact of the crowd, what effect did that have on you, if any, today?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, the public, good. Normal here. Support his player. The public is good. Just little bit sector in the right little bit is strong, because when I have a double‑fault, when I have a mistake, so...But the public in general is good.

We cheered Muller when he beat Roddick.

The audience was great during the Mueller/Roddick match.

mangoes
09-06-2005, 04:14 AM
This is what Nadal said after the match about the J-Block. Not a condemnation but an acknowledgement that they did do thinkgs like cheer his faults....

I didn't say it was a condemnation................ I said he mentioned it. For me to imply that Nadal mentioning them was in a negative way would be me taking a page out of Mary Carillo's book.............I don't think so........... Next time I will return before continuing with my thoughts so you don't misinterpret my words.

Clara Bow
09-06-2005, 04:16 AM
I didn't say it was a condemnation................ I said he mentioned it.

I didn't mean to imply that you did. :) I'm just wordy and like to describe quotes that I put in. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

mangoes
09-06-2005, 04:18 AM
I didn't mean to imply that you did. :) I'm just wordy and like to describe quotes that I put in.

Oh ok....................I understand. I thought you were implying that I was taking a page out of Mary Carillo's book in spinning words..............lol

Clara Bow
09-06-2005, 04:20 AM
I thought you were implying that I was taking a page out of Mary Carillo's book in spinning words

Oh no- you are no Mary C! I'm sorry for my unclear wording.

disturb3d
09-06-2005, 04:30 AM
The J stock is a bunch of middle-aged men, let them have their fun.

RogiFan88
09-06-2005, 04:33 AM
So will the J Block dare to be so vocal in their support for James vs. Baldy??

max122
09-06-2005, 04:34 AM
Its all abt havin fun! let the ppl cheer for their player .. whats the big deal!

savesthedizzle
09-06-2005, 04:37 AM
So will the J Block dare to be so vocal in their support for James vs. Baldy??

I'd like to see them try.

I almost got beat down by senior citizens in 2003 when I was at the semis of Legg-Mason and it was Agassi v. Fernando Gonzalez and I felt bad that 99% of the crowd was for Andre, so I started joining the 5 Chileans there in cheering for Gonzo.

The over 50 crowd that populated the seats by me looked at me like I was an alien, or that I should be burned at the stake for daring to cheer for anyone but Andre. Andre is beyond revered by the American masses.

While James too is obviously American, it won't go over quite so well as it has when he's been playing Spaniards. This is ANDRE.

mangoes
09-06-2005, 04:49 AM
I'd like to see them try.

I almost got beat down by senior citizens in 2003 when I was at the semis of Legg-Mason and it was Agassi v. Fernando Gonzalez and I felt bad that 99% of the crowd was for Andre, so I started joining the 5 Chileans there in cheering for Gonzo.

The over 50 crowd that populated the seats by me looked at me like I was an alien, or that I should be burned at the stake for daring to cheer for anyone but Andre. Andre is beyond revered by the American masses.

While James too is obviously American, it won't go over quite so well as it has when he's been playing Spaniards. This is ANDRE.

I know that feeling. At the Nasdaq this year, I was at the Roger/Andre semifinal match and I dared to shout, "Go Roger". Everyone turned and watched me and during the next "rest" for the players, those more than middle aged people ripped into me.................... It was funny and I am definitely not going to forget that specific match just because of them............ Hell, my patriotic spirit was questioned.........lololol

But there is a difference between cheering a player on and taunting a player. While the crowd was more than pro Andre, no one taunted Roger.

liptea
09-06-2005, 05:56 AM

Listen, I'm American, and I certainly don't cheer like that. But other crowds are just as bad too, in almost any country. I mean, maybe Australia is the exception and maybe they hate every Australian that steps on the court and cheer his opponent, etc. But I'm pretty sure that the crowds in any country tend to root for their home player. The J-Block is just an extreme example. They are definitely not typical of the average American tennis fan.

And, could you not just say things like, "wTf lOlz oMg!!111 i hAiTe aMurRIcAnSsSs!!111ONE@!!!!ELEVEN!!!11" Because I kinda resent that.

Scotso
09-06-2005, 06:00 AM

It's Americans in general, usually. Americans are really partisan, even when they know nothing about the player, if they have a USA beside their name... watch out.

I felt the full wraith of this when I was cheering for Karol Beck against Robby Ginepri at the Legg Mason this year (and also in his doubles against Goldstein/Oudsema).

Oh well. I'm not going to be intimidated, but at least the Legg Mason crowd wasn't insulting Karol and cheering wildly for double faults, etc.

liptea
09-06-2005, 06:06 AM
I felt the full wraith of this when I was cheering for Karol Beck against Robby Ginepri at the Legg Mason this year (and also in his doubles against Goldstein/Oudsema).

haha, I'd root against Robby. Just because he looks like a GANGSTER.

Scotso
09-06-2005, 06:08 AM
I like Robby, but it was Karol Beck. I mean come on. :p

victory1
09-06-2005, 06:10 AM
It's Americans in general, usually. Americans are really partisan, even when they know nothing about the player, if they have a USA beside their name... watch out.

Oh well. I'm not going to be intimidated, but at least the Legg Mason crowd wasn't insulting Karol and cheering wildly for double faults, etc.

Not true. Have you watched a Williams sisters' match before they left due to injuries, even last year's US Open? Even the commentators used to say it was because the Americans where pulling for the underdog and that's why they where agaisnt the sisters, until you see another american play beside those sisters and then the entire stadium is pro-Americans! :D

tangerine_dream
09-06-2005, 06:12 AM

Yes, because the Fanatics never insult or jeer Lleyton's opponents (Where's Willie?) nor are they rude enough to to cheer an opponents df's, ue's, etc. (*cough* Safin final *cough*) :p

Rowdy crowds are everywhere and I've still yet to see any proof of how awful this 12-person JBlock crew have been to actually cause poor little delicate Rafa and Tommy to completely lose their minds, melt under such enormous pressure, and throw their matches away.

victory1
09-06-2005, 06:13 AM
Yes, because the Fanatics never insult or jeer Lleyton's opponents (Where's Willie?) nor are they rude enough to to cheer an opponents df's, ue's, etc. (*cough* Safin final *cough*) :p

Rowdy crowds are everywhere and I've still yet to see any proof of how awful this 12-person JBlock crew have been to actually cause poor little delicate Rafa and Tommy to completely lose their minds, melt under such enormous pressure, and throw their matches away.

AMEN!!! :worship:

Scotso
09-06-2005, 06:20 AM

Again you show reading comprehension problems. They are not causing anyone to lose matches, they are simply disrespectful and annoying, and have no place in a tennis stadium. The only reason that you cannot understand this, is that you are just like them.

Scotso
09-06-2005, 06:21 AM
Not true. Have you watched a Williams sisters' match before they left due to injuries, even last year's US Open? Even the commentators used to say it was because the Americans where pulling for the underdog and that's why they where agaisnt the sisters, until you see another american play beside those sisters and then the entire stadium is pro-Americans! :D

Exactly what is your point? That Americans are not only xenophobic but also racist?

victory1
09-06-2005, 06:24 AM
Exactly what is your point? That Americans are not only xenophobic but also racist?

No point, just pointing out that Americans are not always pro-Americans! :p

Pea
09-06-2005, 08:06 AM

12 person? :confused: Try 100. :rolleyes:

Chloe le Bopper
09-06-2005, 08:10 AM
Did anybody watch the highlights show? "It looks like there are some new kids on the JBlock"? I DIED. DIED. That was so bad it was funny.

New kids on the JBlock! Get it? Sigh.

liptea
09-06-2005, 08:12 AM
Did anybody watch the highlights show? "It looks like there are some new kids on the JBlock"? I DIED. DIED. That was so bad it was funny.

Becca. Go to bed.

Chloe le Bopper
09-06-2005, 08:13 AM
IT WAS SO FUNNY !!! asdfsd

Richard's hair.

Seriously, I'm emailing some stuff to profs and blah that I should have done 5 hours ago ;)

I had this one prof once that would look at me the day I came into class after sending a 5am email with all of my work and be like - er, do you sleep much?

liptea
09-06-2005, 08:17 AM
IT WAS SO FUNNY !!! asdfsd

Richard's hair.

Seriously, I'm emailing some stuff to profs and blah that I should have done 5 hours ago ;)

I had this one prof once that would look at me the day I came into class after sending a 5am email with all of my work and be like - er, do you sleep much?

haha! I sent a 3 AM email, and Mr. Franks was like, "I'll even take assignments late. Just don't do them at 3 AM."

We're practically the same person, minus an obsession with Moya and Mahut.

Chloe le Bopper
09-06-2005, 08:19 AM
haha! I sent a 3 AM email, and Mr. Franks was like, "I'll even take assignments late. Just don't do them at 3 AM."

We're practically the same person, minus an obsession with Moya and Mahut.
But we both love Djokovic :hearts:

liptea
09-06-2005, 08:37 AM
But we both love Djokovic :hearts:

And Vasselin :hearts:

BECCA I MUST SLEEP IT IS 3:37 AM!!!!!!!

Chloe le Bopper
09-06-2005, 08:50 AM
OMG ME TOO!!!!11one!!!eleven111!!!onehundredeleven!!!111

tangerine_dream
09-06-2005, 04:40 PM
The only xenophobic racist around here is you. Seek professional help before you kill an innocent person.

12 person? :confused: Try 100. :rolleyes:
Try learning basic math skills.

3:00AM buzz, I see. :p

Billy Moonshine
09-06-2005, 04:42 PM
I know it's stupid but the j-block make me root against Blake!
I bet he's a lovely guy but those fans are just horrible, yuck!

Jogy
09-06-2005, 04:45 PM
Before you complain about Blake's fangroups you first have to watch some stupid South American crowds in Davis Cup how disrespectful they are and have been in past

J Block will be look like the smallest minor thing on earth compared to these jerks doing everything to interfere foreign players, they throw things at them, cheering 10 seconds after serve fault, they boo all the time, every little error is cheared; same in other sports where in football is lot of vandalism that even force dead people. how stupid is that to kill people because of sport? :retard:

they also saying lots of abuse things to players: it is only on Spanish and not all understand that

alfonsojose
09-06-2005, 05:29 PM
It has been really disgusting. Blake, the new Arthur Ashe .. my ass :ras:

Lee
09-06-2005, 05:31 PM
Before you complain about Blake's fangroups you first have to watch some stupid South American crowds in Davis Cup how disrespectful they are and have been in past

J Block will be look like the smallest minor thing on earth compared to these jerks doing everything to interfere foreign players, they throw things at them, cheering 10 seconds after serve fault, they boo all the time, every little error is cheared; same in other sports where in football is lot of vandalism that even force dead people. how stupid is that to kill people because of sport? :retard:

they also saying lots of abuse things to players: it is only on Spanish and not all understand that

So according to this logic. It's OK that a thug grabbed the purse of an old lady and we shouldn't complain about it because, you know, he/she didn't stabbed her to death.

For me, the constant reference by the commentators and the camera showing the J Block annoying me much more than the Block themselves.

Socket
09-06-2005, 05:33 PM
It's just deliciously ironic to remember how Blake complained about Hewitt's and the Fanatics' sportsmanship at the Aussie Open, but he's obviously making no attempt to tone down his friends, who are getting to be even more obnoxious than the Fanatics. The word that describes what he's doing begins with an "H" and I don't mean "Harvard Man". :devil:

Raquel
09-06-2005, 06:25 PM
From what I have been able to gather, the "J block" is a group of James's personal friends. Therefore, I think we can infer that they have been through it all with James. They deserve some slack.
I was wondering against Nadal if they were actually his personal friends and then I'm sure one of the commentators last night said James bought them the tickets? Maybe he had his information wrong but they do seem to have good seats in one of the boxes. The Fanatics had to make do with the nosebleed seats during one of Lleyton's matches this week ;)

When I heard them all singing, I thought they were a group of kids. Then the camera panned in on them and there were a few balding over 30s in matching t-shirts singing "Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey Hey, Goodbye" :tape: :lol:

Raquel
09-06-2005, 06:29 PM

Surely there was more than 12? It certainly looked more.

mishar
09-06-2005, 07:10 PM
There were about 20 something. They were in one suite so there couldn't be too many as it doesn't hold more than 20 or so people.

Did Robredo complain about this at all? Because I read a quote from Rafa, who said they were a little negative at the end about his mistakes, but mostly fine. So I'm not sure where people are getting all the stories about them taunting his opponents.

mishar
09-06-2005, 07:13 PM
By the way, James consistently claps for his opponents' winners. I have never seen him make an in-your-face gesture at his opponent in the middle of a match (except that once, when he was imitating Hewitt LOL)

Clara Bow
09-06-2005, 07:13 PM
So I'm not sure where people are getting all the stories about them taunting his opponents.

Singing "hey, hey, hey goodbye" to Andreev sounds like taunting to me. ;)

They remind me of the Fanatics, as others have mentioned.

mishar
09-06-2005, 07:18 PM
Look I didn't hear that, but if people say so, I believe it, and I don't approve.

BUt still it's nothing personal. I didn't hear any booing. I've seen a lot worse from crowds and not only in Davis Cup. Anyone remember the match in Madrid in 2003 between Ferrero and Ferreira? In Arthur Ashe stadium there's so much noise it doesn't really matter if there are a few obnoxious fans.

Lleyton has his fanatics -- good for him - but the Jblock doesn't wear shirts implying that his opponents are cheaters. I've been to Roland Garros and the way the French cheer their own players and boo the opponents is unlike anything I've ever seen at the US Open. You could just embrace all that and say, it's part of sports. James is not only American, he's a New Yorker, and anyone playing in their local event will get vociferous cheering.

Socket
09-06-2005, 07:40 PM
I don't have any problem with fans getting behind their players, and having a good old time in the stands, with silly t-shirts, beer cups, stupid chants, etc. That's all part of the fun of competition and being a fan. And it does make the match more interesting to watch. As I said before, if that rattles the opponent, tough shit. BUT Blake can't act so high and mighty about other players' fans if his own friends are going to act that way. What's good for the goose, as they say.

I have no doubt that the players in the locker room have noticed this, too.

mishar
09-06-2005, 07:46 PM
And when did Blake act high and mighty? Please show me the interview. He got testy during the match -- his right, I would say -- but I don't remember him harrumphing about the fans. He said that the fans in DC in Croatia were incredibly difficult to play with -- they were loudly banging drums and haranguing him -- but he didn't say they shouldn't do it. It's just a fact that that's hard for the foreign opponent.

In fact, Blake was incredibly gracious towards Hewitt after the 2001 incident. He immediately forgave and dismissed Lleyton's weird comments about the black linesman; if he hadn't done that, Lleyton would have been followed around with a lot more bad press then.

Socket
09-06-2005, 07:48 PM
Go back and read his comments from this year's Aussie Open.

Clara Bow
09-06-2005, 07:49 PM
Lleyton has his fanatics -- good for him - but the Jblock doesn't wear shirts implying that his opponents are cheaters.

That is true and I can't imagine they ever would. Those Where's Willie t-shirts were nasty (although well drawn).

mishar
09-06-2005, 07:52 PM
OK, Socket, here's what he said Tell me where is he complaining about Lleyton or the crowd or being high and mighty?

Q: Clearly a lot of emotion in that tiebreak. You managed even a bit of a Lleyton salute. What was that all about?

JAMES BLAKE: That was just, you know, having a good time. The crowd had a good time, I think. I hit possibly the best backhand I hit all match on that set point, the set point he had. Maybe it was a little bit of anger coming out from losing the set points before and a little bit of just adrenaline rush that I was still in the set when he was serving for it, and I had a chance again is what I felt like. To hit that backhand that clean at that kind of a juncture in the match, you know, like I said, that's what I missed. You know, from sitting on my couch for six months to watching people do that and have that emotion go through them, it's an amazing feeling to go back to it. And I wish everyone that doesn't get that opportunity could have that opportunity to get that feeling, when you hit your best shot, all the practice you had done, you know, kind of goes out the window at that time. It's just a lot of emotion with the crowd. I enjoyed it. You know, that's all I can say is I enjoyed it.

Q. Just before you did that, Lleyton hit an instinctive lob over you, you applauded him.

JAMES BLAKE: Yes.

Q. He appeared to turn immediately and just bellow to his support group. Did that offend you?

JAMES BLAKE: Offend me? No. I was applauding a good shot. As my -- I feel like I do a lot. If someone hits a good shot, what can you do? I mean, there's no way I could get back for that lob. He played a great point up until then. I felt like I played a great point. I applauded. If he doesn't want to acknowledge it, he doesn't have to acknowledge it. He's doing what he can to win the match. Obviously it worked. He won the match. But definitely not offended. Just kind of possibly two different personality types, two different players out there.

Q. The two actions weren't linked, him not acknowledging and you doing that later?

JAMES BLAKE: No, no, it wasn't linked. Like I said, it was emotion that I haven't felt in eight months that I let out. I'm actually amazed I didn't do it more often. Like I said, it felt so good to be out there. Playing in front of a packed stadium, when the lights came on, you know, it's what I've missed for seven, eight months.

mishar
09-06-2005, 07:53 PM
Here's the interview in full. He says nothing about the crowd and only complimentary about Lleyton. Please admit you're wrong now. :-)

http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2005aussie/012005JB.html

Socket
09-06-2005, 08:06 PM
I didn't say his INTERVIEW, I said his COMMENTS in newspaper articles. I stand by my statement. If you don't believe me, that's fine with me. I know I'm right. :)

mishar
09-06-2005, 08:14 PM
Socket, all newspaper comments are taken from the post-match interview. Please show me a quote where he criticized Hewitt or the fanatics. if it was in a newspaper, you must be able to find it.

It just didn't happen. Maybe you're thinking of someone else. Maybe you imagined it out of a little paranoia. :-)

Paul Banks
09-06-2005, 08:14 PM
I don't understand why people can only cheer winners.

First if people cheer after a double fault, it's also cheering for the next point. And people weren't happy because Nadal made a double fault, they were happy because Blake won a point. It doesn't really matter how he won that point.

In a game of tennis usually dominated with errors, it's silly to expect an enthousiastic crowd to only be loud when there's a winner.

Socket
09-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Socket, all newspaper comments are taken from the post-match interview. Please show me a quote where he criticized Hewitt or the fanatics. if it was in a newspaper, you must be able to find it.

It just didn't happen. Maybe you're thinking of someone else. Maybe you imagined it out of a little paranoia. :-)
Don't be silly, players are interviewed out of the press room all the time. You don't really think that that's the only time that players speak to the press, do you? I don't keep copies of newspapers from January, and I certainly am not paying to search archives to satisfy you. Like I said, you can believe whatever you want, I know I'm right. :)

mishar
09-06-2005, 08:22 PM
Why would a newspaper interview the loser of a 2nd round match outside of the pressroom? I''m sure Blake got on a plane and went home and the press moved onto Lleyton's next match. And if Blake was going to complain about the crowd, why wouldn't he do it here rather than saying he "enjoyed the atmosphere."

Anyway, its silly to argue because you're obviously immune to facts!

Socket
09-06-2005, 08:25 PM
Why would a newspaper interview the loser of a 2nd round match outside of the pressroom? I''m sure Blake got on a plane and went home and the press moved onto Lleyton's next match. And if Blake was going to complain about the crowd, why wouldn't he do it here rather than saying he "enjoyed the atmosphere."

Anyway, its silly to argue because you're obviously immune to facts!
OK, dearie, if it makes you feel better to think that Blake only talks to the press in his post-match interviews, that's OK with me. :)

Clara Bow
09-06-2005, 08:36 PM
First if people cheer after a double fault, it's also cheering for the next point.

Truth be told - to me, I don't really care that much about people cheering double faults. What I do mind is when they cheer the the first fault- the point is not won yet and it can be a disruption to the serverr imo while they are preparing for the second serve.

In a game of tennis usually dominated with errors, it's silly to expect an enthousiastic crowd to only be loud when there's a winner.

I don't think that there should be no cheering after all errors. In particular because a lot of errors are forced after great play by both or one of opponents. But when I go to matches I tend to cheer more for points that end in error that were the result of great play by one of the players, as opposed to cheering for a point that ends in error as a result of flat-out poor play by one of the players. Does that make any sense- I know I am splitting hairs.

Socket
09-06-2005, 08:51 PM
I think a lot of times the crowd simply doesn't understand the difference between a forced or unforced error. A lot of people in the stands aren't that knowledgable about tennis, and they're happy to think that "their" player always forces his opponent into errors. And if an UE was preceded by a great, spellbinding rally, the crowd is going to applaud, the winning player is probably going to celebrate a bit, none of which I find wrong at all.

mishar
09-06-2005, 08:52 PM
ok, dear, the comments were published -- but in newspapers which only exist in your mind. I understand, I really do.. :-)

max122
09-06-2005, 08:58 PM
Blake or agassi?

Agassi hands down!!

Socket
09-06-2005, 09:08 PM
ok, dear, the comments were published -- but in newspapers which only exist in your mind. I understand, I really do.. :-)
Well, I guess that since you claim to be a friend of Blake's family, you're going to stick up for him, no matter what. Wave to us from the J-Block on Wednesday, please.

mishar
09-06-2005, 09:11 PM
Where did I say that? I'm friendly with his half-brother, I've played in a tennis group with him since 2001 so I've cheered James on since then. I'm not in the J-block however. ;-)

It's your right to dislike James, doesn't bother me, but he's never attacked Lleyton or the Australian crowd.

Socket
09-06-2005, 09:51 PM
Where did I say that? I'm friendly with his half-brother, I've played in a tennis group with him since 2001 so I've cheered James on since then. I'm not in the J-block however. ;-)

It's your right to dislike James, doesn't bother me, but he's never attacked Lleyton or the Australian crowd.
Oh, he's never criticized Lleyton? Here's Blake's comment about Lleyton from an interview he did with Cronin on the tennisreporters.net site. Wow, I guess he does talk to the press outside of post-match interviews!

Blake not pleased with Hewitt's fist-pumping

Blake: "If Lleyton's more interested in winning matches than making friends in the locker room, that's his prerogative." … Blake doesn't believe that Hewitt is merely celebrating the winning of big points and not thinking about his effect on his opponents. "The juncture that he does it at seems like it's to keep a player down," Blake said. "If he is up big and does it, it's to make sure to keep a player down.

Sounds like criticism to me. Not that I have a problem with that, only that people seem to think that Blake somehow is exempt from criticism himself or perfect. Blake's friends aren't doing anything different than Lleyton's fist pumps, so he needs to shut up about Lleyton.

revolution
09-06-2005, 09:53 PM
Whenever anyone even dares to make an impact in tennis they always spurn a whole load of haters. How sad.

Paul Banks
09-06-2005, 10:05 PM
How is Blake responsible for what his friends do? Besides, it's not against him, so why would he be annoyed or tell his friends to calm down?

One might say he's a bit of an hypocrit, but we're all like that: we'll only complain about a situation if it's against us, not if it favours us.

Iheartandy&roger
09-06-2005, 10:08 PM
Honestly which fans wouldn't go on like that if it's on their home turf and I see people are a little insecure about James flying through as well as he has so now it's time to bash him.:rolleyes:

mishar
09-06-2005, 10:11 PM
OK good you came up with a quote! So Blake criticized Lleyton -- though I think that's more like a fact rather than a criticism.

But I still don't see where he criticized the crowd, which is what you accused him of doing and therefore being a hypocrite.

Socket
09-06-2005, 10:12 PM
As I keep on pointing out, I have no problem with the Fanatics doing what they do, or the J-Block doing what they do. But there shouldn't be a double standard, that's all.

I have no doubt that Blake's friends would be quieter if Blake asked them to. Given that they ARE his friends and they're sitting in a suite that he arranged for them, he absolutely has some control over their behavior. And isn't that his brother sitting with them?

tennischick
09-06-2005, 10:13 PM
I think a lot of times the crowd simply doesn't understand the difference between a forced or unforced error. A lot of people in the stands aren't that knowledgable about tennis, and they're happy to think that "their" player always forces his opponent into errors. And if an UE was preceded by a great, spellbinding rally, the crowd is going to applaud, the winning player is probably going to celebrate a bit, none of which I find wrong at all.
i agree. as a guilty participant -- not directly as a member of J-Block but as a member of its ripple effect -- i must admit that people often cheered inappropriately. but the truth is Socket that this happens often at tennis matches and is not limited to the J-Block phenomenon.

i for one was impressed with how organized they were. but i did find myself feeling badly for Nadal to be honest bec i think the crowd got to him and that he eventually decided just to get to hell out of there and not participate further. when next he faces Blake outside of the US, no doubt he is going to crush him :lol:

i wish i could be there for the Agassi-Blake match (i won't be) bec i think that that is when we may see J-Block backfire. it's one thing to incite the crowd to attack a "foreigner" (Nadal or Robredo). it's quite another to go up against a popular fellow-American.

Socket
09-06-2005, 10:16 PM
OK good you came up with a quote! So Blake criticized Lleyton -- though I think that's more like a fact rather than a criticism.

But I still don't see where he criticized the crowd, which is what you accused him of doing and therefore being a hypocrite.
Give me some time, and I'm sure I'll find that one, too. :) I do remember what I read.

And whether Blake criticized Lleyton or the Fanatics, it's not really relevant; the fact is that the same standard should be applied to his behavior and those of his fans as he wants applied to Lleyton and Lleyton's fans. If Blake thinks that Lleytons' fist pumps are deliberately designed to distract or irritate Lleyton's opponent, then's he's a hypocrite for not telling his friends not to act in a way that would deliberately distract or irritate Blake's opponents. Whether it's the player or his fans, if it's poor sportsmanship for one, then it's poor sportsmanship for the other.

mishar
09-06-2005, 10:16 PM
His brother (not the one I know, but his full brother Thomas) is sitting down in the family box courtside with his mother and girlfriend.

Socket
09-06-2005, 10:19 PM
i agree. as a guilty participant -- not directly as a member of J-Block but as a member of its ripple effect -- i must admit that people often cheered inappropriately. but the truth is Socket that this happens often at tennis matches and is not limited to the J-Block phenomenon.
i for one was impressed with how organized they were. but i did find myself feeling badly for Nadal to be honest bec i think the crowd got to him and that he eventually decided just to get to hell out of there and not participate further. when next he faces Blake outside of the US, no doubt he is going to crush him :lol:

i wish i could be there for the Agassi-Blake match (i won't be) bec i think that that is when we may see J-Block backfire. it's one thing to incite the crowd to attack a "foreigner" (Nadal or Robredo). it's quite another to go up against a popular fellow-American.
I agree that it's not limited to the J-Block. But they are the subject of this thread, and the guy they're cheering for is so often cited by the press as the epitome of sportsmanship. I think the evidence is that Blake is no more or less of a sportsman than most of the other guys in the locker room, that's all.

Socket
09-06-2005, 10:20 PM
His brother (not the one I know, but his full brother Thomas) is sitting down in the family box courtside with his mother and girlfriend.
Then his brother can tell the friends to STFU before the match. Or James can. Or James's mother. Or his agent. Or his coach.

You get the drift.

tennischick
09-06-2005, 10:26 PM
I agree that it's not limited to the J-Block. But they are the subject of this thread, and the guy they're cheering for is so often cited by the press as the epitome of sportsmanship. I think the evidence is that Blake is no more or less of a sportsman than most of the other guys in the locker room, that's all.
i feel you but i respectfully don't agree with you. we don't know that Blake instructed his supporters to be deliberately inappropriate. i would not hold Lleyton responsible if a group of the Fanatics decide to scream after his opponent hits say a double-fault. fans sometimes get out of hand, and i am confirming that you are right that J-Block definitey did. but in the same way that i would not hold Coria responsible for the group of Argentines that i was with cussing out Chileans left and right, i would not hold James responsible for how his supporters are behaving. to say that he is unsportsmanlike bec his fans are is a bit of a stretch IMO.

mangoes
09-06-2005, 10:29 PM
The truth is Blake is enjoying every minute of this.............having his own "hewitt style" cheering section, mirroring even the matching t-shirts of the fanatics. I hope he enjoys it all. He is milking his woes in the media..........and that is the part truly irritating me........... Not only do I have to listen to the media talk during every break about Blake's woes, I have to listen to them talk about it during matches between other players..............it is getting rediculous............. I truly hope Agassi sends his ass packing so we can be done with this media campaign.

Castafiore
09-06-2005, 10:30 PM
Sometimes, players tend to signal their crowd to tone it down, don't they?

I remember seeing Nadal do that (when the spaniards were doing a mexican wave in the middle of the match) to calm them down just a bit during the Davis Cup match against Roddick.

I have read somewhere that Agassi did the same thing once (but I haven't seen that myself).

mishar
09-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Whether the J-block is or is not unsportsmanlike, and whether James is or is not responsible for their behavior, I don't see the hypocrisy.

He doesn't criticize Lleyton's supporters. He said that Lleyton's on-court antics might be used to disrupt his opponent. It was obviously an answer to a question. He didn't even say (as many other have) that Lleyton shouldn't do such things.

James has not been doing Lleyton-like antics on the court. He claps for his opponents' winners.

tennischick
09-06-2005, 10:34 PM
The truth is Blake is enjoying every minute of this.............having his own "hewitt style" cheering section, mirroring even the matching t-shirts of the fanatics. ...
can't comment on the "media campaign" as i don't know what you are talking about. but i agree that James is enjoying every moment of the support he is getting. as part of that support base might i admit that i enjoyed every moment of it. it was good to see that having supportive fans can help a player dig deep and play better. but as i admit, i did find myself feeling badly for Nadal who at 18 did not seem to know quite how to deal with it.

mangoes
09-06-2005, 10:35 PM
Whether the J-block is or is not unsportsmanlike, and whether James is or is not responsible for their behavior, I don't see the hypocrisy.

He doesn't criticize Lleyton's supporters. He said that Lleyton's on-court antics might be used to disrupt his opponent. It was obviously an answer to a question. He didn't even say (as many other have) that Lleyton shouldn't do such things.

James has not been doing Lleyton-like antics on the court. He claps for his opponents' winners.

Lleyton says "too good mate" too................ Blake is taking a page out of the Lleyton cheering manual so big deal.......... He is just trying to build his image to maybe make a bit more money from sponsers.......... that's business...... so stop painting him like a saint.

Blake is just another player in the world of tennis business............. some will like him and some like myself will think he is full of shit........ Just as I like Roddick and there are some that feel the opposite about him.

mishar
09-06-2005, 10:49 PM
I don't agree with your cynicism. I've heard a lot of things about James, a lot of stories that show me he's a genuinely nice guy. I think he's trying to behave well on the court. I fault him for that actually -- I think he'd win more if he had a more Lleyton-like attitude. I don't think he's a saint, but nor do I think he's somehow cynically manipulating his image. But whatever. People will believe whatever they want, I don't care. It really doesn't matter whether James is a nice guy or whatever, it's not a personality contest. But that doesn't mean that whatever charge someone comes up is true. You don't care for him? Fine. But he's not a hypocrite about loud crowds.

By the way, I like Lleyton too. I respect his competitiveness and think it's good for the sport. He's def. a much better player than James, and a much better competitor.

mangoes
09-06-2005, 11:08 PM
I don't agree with your cynicism. I've heard a lot of things about James, a lot of stories that show me he's a genuinely nice guy. I think he's trying to behave well on the court. I fault him for that actually -- I think he'd win more if he had a more Lleyton-like attitude. I don't think he's a saint, but nor do I think he's somehow cynically manipulating his image. But whatever. People will believe whatever they want, I don't care. It really doesn't matter whether James is a nice guy or whatever, it's not a personality contest. But that doesn't mean that whatever charge someone comes up is true. You don't care for him? Fine. But he's not a hypocrite about loud crowds.

By the way, I like Lleyton too. I respect his competitiveness and think it's good for the sport. He's def. a much better player than James, and a much better competitor.

Well, I didn't call Blake a hypocrite............... However, I don't know why it's so hard to imagine that he does care about his image and is enjoying the antics of the J-Block.................... He is more than ready to continuously talk about his woes at every opportunity that presents itself. Maybe, I've had enough................afterall, the sob story started way before the US Open so I'm on overload.

Socket
09-06-2005, 11:12 PM
i feel you but i respectfully don't agree with you. we don't know that Blake instructed his supporters to be deliberately inappropriate. i would not hold Lleyton responsible if a group of the Fanatics decide to scream after his opponent hits say a double-fault. fans sometimes get out of hand, and i am confirming that you are right that J-Block definitey did. but in the same way that i would not hold Coria responsible for the group of Argentines that i was with cussing out Chileans left and right, i would not hold James responsible for how his supporters are behaving. to say that he is unsportsmanlike bec his fans are is a bit of a stretch IMO.
I don't think Blake is instructing them to be deliberately inappropriate, but he certainly hasn't asked them to tone it down, either. Even tennis-x.com, the home for frat boy tennis, commented on their behavior. If either Lleyton or Blake said to their supporters, "guys, take it easy out there, you're making me look bad," their supporters would do that.

Edit: Here's the quote about the J-Block from tennis-x.com, so that I don't get wrongly accused of making things up again. ;)

James Blake needs to pull the reins on his "J-Block" fans, who are now resembling Lleyton Hewitt's "Fanatics" crew with their taunting of Blake's opponents...

http://www.tennis-x.com/story/2005-09-06/d.php

Socket
09-06-2005, 11:15 PM
Lleyton says "too good mate" too................ Blake is taking a page out of the Lleyton cheering manual so big deal.......... He is just trying to build his image to maybe make a bit more money from sponsers.......... that's business...... so stop painting him like a saint.

Blake is just another player in the world of tennis business............. some will like him and some like myself will think he is full of shit........ Just as I like Roddick and there are some that feel the opposite about him.
*thud* I don't think you and I have ever agreed on something before.

And we have James Blake to thank for that? :eek:

tennischick
09-06-2005, 11:17 PM
I don't think Blake is instructing them to be deliberately inappropriate, but he certainly hasn't asked them to tone it down, either. Even tennis-x.com, the home for frat boy tennis, commented on their behavior. If either Lleyton or Blake said to their supporters, "guys, take it easy out there, you're making me look bad," their supporters would do that.
who says they're making him look bad? i certainly didn't feel that way. i thought it was great that we helped him go from middling to spectacular. and he must know that it is working so why on earth would he ask them to tone it down -- just so that he might lose? i don't get the logic of that.

Socket
09-06-2005, 11:20 PM
who says they're making him look bad? i certainly didn't feel that way. i thought it was great that we helped him go from middling to spectacular. and he must know that it is working so why on earth would he ask them to tone it down -- just so that he might lose? i don't get the logic of that.
Well, I just added the tennis-x.com quote, so I guess there's one vote for them toning it down. But, personally, I find fan antics to be generally amusing, and as J-Mac would say, if the other guy gets rattled, let him find a new job. I was just speaking hypothetically, that if either Lleyton or Blake wanted their supporters to shut up, they definitely would get the response they wanted.

tennischick
09-06-2005, 11:22 PM
Well, I just added the tennis-x.com quote, so I guess there's one vote for them toning it down. But, personally, I find fan antics to be generally amusing, and as J-Mac would say, if the other guy gets rattled, let him find a new job.
yes i just saw that. sorry.

like i said, i honestly understand your point. but i don't see why Blake would say anything to his fans. who would mess with a wnning formula?

Socket
09-06-2005, 11:24 PM
yes i just saw that. sorry.

likei said, i honestly understand your point. but i don't see why Blake would say anything to his fans. who would mess with a wnning formula?
I need to stop editing my posts after you respond to them, don't I? Sorry. :D

tennischick
09-06-2005, 11:26 PM
... I was just speaking hypothetically, that if either Lleyton or Blake wanted their supporters to shut up, they definitely would get the response they wanted.
who knows maybe Blake got the idea from watching how the Fanatics help bring out the best in Hewitt. good for him that he copied a winning formula. ;)

mangoes
09-06-2005, 11:53 PM
*thud* I don't think you and I have ever agreed on something before.

And we have James Blake to thank for that? :eek:

We've never????..................lololol.... I don't remember....

andre the great
09-07-2005, 12:34 AM
It'll be interesting to see how the J Block fares tomorrow night against AA.I am sure there will be enough Agassi fans to drown them out.

Scotso
09-07-2005, 04:52 AM
The only xenophobic racist around here is you. Seek professional help before you kill an innocent person.

You seriously have issues.

Scotso
09-07-2005, 04:56 AM
And as for the "Blake isn't responsible for his fans," for the most part that is true. But he is buying these guys the tickets. He knows what they are doing and he still invites them in. While I don't claim he's guilty of bad sportsmanship, he's not an innocent party in this matter.

tennischick
09-07-2005, 07:01 AM
And as for the "Blake isn't responsible for his fans," for the most part that is true. But he is buying these guys the tickets. He knows what they are doing and he still invites them in. While I don't claim he's guilty of bad sportsmanship, he's not an innocent party in this matter.
substitute Hewitt for Blake and the Fanatics for J-Block and i totally agree with you. amazing isn't it. yes.

oneandonlyhsn
09-07-2005, 07:07 AM
It'll be interesting to see how the J Block fares tomorrow night against AA.I am sure there will be enough Agassi fans to drown them out.

I hope I will be home to see this match just to see how the crowd will react.

oneandonlyhsn
09-07-2005, 07:09 AM
substitute Hewitt for Blake and the Fanatics for J-Block and i totally agree with you. amazing isn't it. yes.

Ditto if it was Hewitt, you wouldnt hear the end of it from the media. I dont really care about the J-Block and what they do but I am almost laughing at the thought of the fanatcis coming to the US Open in large numbers to support Lleyton

tennischick
09-07-2005, 07:17 AM
Ditto if it was Hewitt, you wouldnt hear the end of it from the media. I dont really care about the J-Block and what they do but I am almost laughing at the thought of the fanatcis coming to the US Open in large numbers to support Lleyton
actually some of them were there. or at least a group of gorgeous Aussie hunks all face-painted and looking f-worthy. but they were no match for J-Block. i still think James owes Lleyton big for the idea. ;)

Action Jackson
09-07-2005, 11:11 AM
When I heard them all singing, I thought they were a group of kids. Then the camera panned in on them and there were a few balding over 30s in matching t-shirts singing "Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey Hey, Goodbye" :tape: :lol:

I see the they are only about 10 years too late with the "Na Na Na" chants.

Hokit
09-07-2005, 11:50 AM
It's too bad the J-Blocks (J = Japan?) had to overreact at some points. I like a match with atmosphere, but it's annoying when it gets too much high tension. But I like James and I was highly satisfied he made it through to the quarter-finals :)

Experimentee
09-07-2005, 01:21 PM
Theres nothing wrong with cheering for your country. It happens all the time at the AO where people dress up in their colours and cheer for their country loudly, it makes the atmosphere great and its very entertaining when theres certain rivalries, like Serbs and Croats.

Action Jackson
09-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Theres nothing wrong with cheering for your country. It happens all the time at the AO where people dress up in their colours and cheer for their country loudly, it makes the atmosphere great and its very entertaining when theres certain rivalries, like Serbs and Croats.

It's the fun open the AO. I mean these guys would be quiet compared to the Italians, the Greeks at the Baghdatis matches, the Swedes and the Dutch plus the others. It makes the event more fun and most of the time they are not causing trouble.

Experimentee
09-07-2005, 01:26 PM
Looks at the way James acts on and off the court, and the respect he shows for his opponents, and you wouldnt think for a second that he was responsible for his fan's behaviour. Some people just go overboard, and the players are too nice to tell their own fans to shut up. James appreciates how they've come all the way to support him and wouldnt be rude to them like that.

tennisphan
09-07-2005, 02:34 PM
I just may go pour some beer on them tonight

(just kidding)

Pea
09-07-2005, 03:18 PM
Try learning basic math skills.

12 = 12
But the Jblock = 100
:confused: :retard: :stupid: :imbecile: :dumbfuck:

tangerine_dream
09-08-2005, 03:06 AM
12 = 12
But the Jblock = 100
:confused: :retard: :stupid: :imbecile: :dumbfuck:
Here's a screen shot of the J-Block (the ones in the blue shirts). Now, I know I'm incapable of counting as high as Peabrain here but I'm pretty sure that my claim of "12" is somewhat closer to the real number of J-Blockers than the "100s" she claimed.
http://tinypic.com/dgqf81.jpg

Peabrain, I couldn't find an :imbecile: :dumbfuck: smilie to use so I made one in your honor.
http://tinypic.com/dgqff4.gif

Fee
09-08-2005, 03:18 AM
James doesn't have any sponsors except Nike at this point, both Dunlop and Citizen watches have dropped him recently.

As for Tennis-x, I am a bit leary of thier sources sometimes, considering they used my thread here at MTF a few weeks ago as their source for the 'rumor' that Justin was starting a blog for SI. I wouldn't be surprised if this very thread is now the source for their report that the J-Block is getting out of hand.

megadeth
09-08-2005, 03:24 AM
blake's not sponsoring the block right?

like paying for their tickets or stuff...

Socket
09-08-2005, 03:26 AM
Before his last match, Blake mentioned on TV that he had gotten about 100 tickets for his friends and supporters, so I guess he gave them their tickets.

savesthedizzle
09-08-2005, 03:26 AM
blake's not sponsoring the block right?

like paying for their tickets or stuff...

No, from what I gather, he is.

After his match against Robredo, during the on court interview they asked him how many tickets he needed to get for the J-Block for that particular match and he said around 100. So he's securing the tickets for them, from what I understand.

oneandonlyhsn
09-08-2005, 03:28 AM
:lol: I love how some people on this board are such smart asses

tennischick
09-08-2005, 06:09 AM
Here's a screen shot of the J-Block (the ones in the blue shirts). Now, I know I'm incapable of counting as high as Peabrain here but I'm pretty sure that my claim of "12" is somewhat closer to the real number of J-Blockers than the "100s" she claimed.
actually you're both wrong. it was certainly more than 12 but definitely less than 100's. you can't judge from a screen-shot bec the ripple effect means that a whole bunch of others were informally recruited.

at the end of the day, the actual number is not the issue. what matters WAS their impact. against the Master Baldy, it wasn't good enuf :banana:

savesthedizzle
09-08-2005, 06:12 AM
actually you're both wrong. it was certainly more than 12 but definitely less than 100's. you can't judge from a screen-shot bec the ripple effect means that a whole bunch of others were informally recruited.

at the end of the day, the actual number is not the issue. what matters WAS their impact. against the Master Baldy, it wasn't good enuf :banana:

Then James is wrong too, since that's how many tickets he had for the match on Monday. Probably less today since it's not a national holiday today, but thats what he said, and I'm pretty willing to believe what James says than anyone attempting to count supporters another way.

Dirk
09-08-2005, 06:12 AM
Nope TC. Now if Ninja gets by David then the trophy is all his. :)

tennischick
09-08-2005, 06:15 AM
Nope TC. Now if Ninja gets by David then the trophy is all his. :)
and he will. and he will.

i was responding only to the fans-o-Blake vs. fans-o-Hewitt battle.

at the end of the day, J-Block did not deliver against my sweet Agassi. the original Bald One. but i am proud of them that they took Blake thus far. awesome.

Dirk
09-08-2005, 06:18 AM
They could have been a little too rowdy for my taste. James played an incredible open and it will be interesting if he can keep it up now.

dylan24
09-08-2005, 06:56 AM
now j block can leave town.
so damn annoying.
i wish the cameras would have shown them after the match ended.

Scotso
09-08-2005, 06:59 AM
Can't say I'll miss them.

propi
09-08-2005, 10:06 AM
:wavey:Blake's block :sad::sad::sad:
:devil:

Pea
09-08-2005, 01:35 PM
http://tinypic.com/dgqf81.jpg

Peabrain, I couldn't find an :imbecile: :dumbfuck: smilie to use so I made one in your honor.
http://tinypic.com/dgqff4.gif

First, I'm definitely not a she.:o
And second, James said it himself that he gave 100 tickets to his friends/family to watch him play every night.

But TC is right. They will be gone. Good riddance. Something that can't be said about your annoyance and incapabilities.

Scotso
09-09-2005, 05:34 AM
First, I'm definitely not a she.:o
And second, James said it himself that he gave 100 tickets to his friends/family to watch him play every night.

But TC is right. They will be gone. Good riddance. Something that can't be said about your annoyance and incapabilities.

Ignore it. I know it's hard to ignore the first person to ever evolve from Tonya Harding's yeast infection, but you just have to try.

YoursTruly
09-09-2005, 05:47 AM
J-Block. Nothing else needs to be said. What a joke!

andre the great
09-09-2005, 02:01 PM
The only thing is that James Blake has been through so much adversity over the past year or so that you can understand why his closest associates with support him so strongly. The main thing is that Blake brought a great ammount to this tournament. And showed great dignity when losing to Agassi. He has true character and hope he will continue to play great tennis like he did Weds night when he scared the shite out of every Agassi fan on the planet.

tennisphan
09-09-2005, 03:39 PM
i was there wednesday night vs. agassi, and not only were there severl groups of people with J-block shirts (mostly in the upper deck, behind the baseline, to the right of the chair) but they were also SELLING the j-block shirts! (both at the US Open merch table, and at the nike store)

I would say 100 total would be about accurate.

btw, they had up to 35 people in that lux box somehow....