Thailand Open 2003 : 20 - 28 September

jirobkk
08-01-2003, 02:38 PM
:hearts: :hearts: This thread is moved from General Messages :hearts: :hearts:

Here below is the link.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=5042

jirobkk
08-01-2003, 02:39 PM
The official name of this tournament is " Thailand Open 2003 ".

Thailand Open 2003, the first ATP tournament will be take place in Bangkok, Thailand during 20 - 28 September at the Impact Arena, Muang Thong Thani.

There are world top 5 players have confirmed to play, JCF, Moya, Roddick, Novak including Paradorn. The tournament Managing Director try to negotiate Agassi to join.

In addition, there will be Davis Cup World Group Play-offs between THAILAND vs CZECH REP. hosted by Thailand during 19 - 21 September. The tie will be playing at the same place (the Impact Arena, Muang Thong Thani).

This is our good chance to meet the world great players in Bangkok. I'm defenitely exciting. Can't wait to watch them play.

jirobkk
08-01-2003, 02:41 PM
http://www.siamsport.co.th/paradorn_suwat.jpg
President of the Lawn Tennis Association of Thailand (LTAT), Suwat Liptapanlop and Ball(Paradorn)

ATP THAILAND OPEN
World's top stars confirm participation
Tor Chittinand

French Open champion, Juan Carlos Ferrero of Spain is among several stars who have confirmed their participation in the ATP Thailand Open tennis tournament September 20-28 at the Impact Arena, Muang Thong Thani.

In addition to Ferrero, ranked second in the world, other stars who will be playing are Carlos Moya (4) from Spain, America's Andy Roddick (6) and Jiri Novak (10) of the Czech Republic.

Local fans will be able to cheer Paradorn Srichaphan, ranked 11th.

The participation of the top players was confirmed yesterday by president of the Lawn Tennis Association of Thailand (LTAT), Suwat Liptapanlop and Minister of Tourism and Sports, Sonthaya Khunpluem.

``It will be the second biggest tennis tournament in Asia, following the Japan Open,'' Suwat said.

Negotiations are still underway in trying to get world number one Andre Agassi to play in the tournament. However he is reportedly asking US$400,000 (around 16 million baht) to appear.

Managing director of BEC Tero Entertainment, Brian Marcar said: ``we are still negotiating. I hope he will come.''

Suwat said tournament prizemoney would be US$550,000 (about 23 million baht.) However, there are also appearance fees for each star player totalling an additional US$650,000. So chief sponsors BEC Tero Entertainment will be spending up to 150 million baht for the tournament, he said.

Paradorn said he was delighted that Thailand is hosting an ATP tournament for the first time.

``When I was young I dreamed of something like this,'' he said. ``I'm sure it will be very well organised.''

Paradorn said he would be leaving for the US today where he will take part in five ATP tournaments before the US Open.

He said his aim for the US Open is to at least reach the third round.

Availability of tickets for the Thailand Open will be announced later by BEC Tero Entertainment.

Just a few days before the ATP tournament Thailand will also host the Davis Cup world group playoff against Czech Republic at Muang Thong Thani from September 19-21.

jirobkk
08-01-2003, 02:42 PM
THAILAND OPEN: TOUGH DUEL
Published on Jul 18, 2003

Thailand's top stars Paradorn Srichaphan and Danai Udomchoke will test their mettle against elite players including French Open champions Juan Carlos Ferrero and Carlos Moya in the US$550,000 (Bt22.9 million) Thailand Open at Muang Thong Thani in September.

The event, to be played on an indoor surface at the Impact Arena from September 20-28, will be the richest tennis tournament ever held in Thailand. It will also offer the highest prize money of any ATP tournament in the region. The TV coverage is likely to reach about 76 million homes all over the world, the organisers claimed.

Paradorn gets direct entry into the 32-man draw in the singles category owing to his No 11 ranking in the world, while compatriot Danai, the world No 183, will get a wildcard. It will be the biggest professional tournament for the young Thai.

Apart from world No 2 Ferrero, the current Roland Garros champion, and No 4 Moya, the 1998 French Open winner, American heartthrob Andy Roddick, the world No 6, is another big-name to have confirmed his participation.

Organisers BEC-Tero have been bending over backwards to bring in world No 1 Andre Agassi no matter the appearance fee. But the eight-time Grand Slam champion has yet to accept the invitation.

For Paradorn, who already has three ATP titles in his pocket, playing an ATP tournament on home soil is a dream come true. "Since I was a kid, I dreamt of playing a professional tournament one day in front of Thai fans. It will be a great opportunity for the Thai fans to watch world-class players at home," said Paradorn, who is aiming to add one more trophy to his collection.

"I would love to win a trophy in my country. I can make this happen if a lot of fans come and support me," said Paradorn who left for the USA yesterday morning to take part in six hard court tournaments including the US Open.

The Thai has many points and a title in Long Island, his maiden championship, to defend. "I'm going to give my best in the tournaments but if I can't win, that's OK. I don't want to put pressure on myself," Paradorn said.

The Thai ace will be in a hurry to get back to the top 10 ranking this year.

jirobkk
08-04-2003, 03:06 AM
The tournament will be taking place at the Impact Arena, Muang Thong Thani. Here below are some pictures:

http://www.thai.net/jirofromsanook/thailand%20open%202003/Impact%20Arena%201.jpg
http://www.thai.net/jirofromsanook/thailand%20open%202003/Impact%20Arena%202.jpg
http://www.thai.net/jirofromsanook/thailand%20open%202003/Impact%20Arena%203.jpg
http://www.thai.net/jirofromsanook/thailand%20open%202003/Impact%20Arena%204.jpg

Check more information in http://www.impact.co.th/

digital_roby
08-04-2003, 11:57 AM
this is an indoor arena, can you tell me what are some of the other use other than tennis?

jirobkk
08-04-2003, 03:55 PM
this is an indoor arena, can you tell me what are some of the other use other than tennis?

Check more information in http://www.impact.co.th/

jirobkk
08-21-2003, 05:10 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
21st August 2003

Thai No.2 Danai Udomchoke Receives Wildcard Into Singles Main Draw of Thailand Open

Thai tennis star Danai Udomchoke has received a wild card into the main draw of the Thailand Open Singles competition.

Danai has spent this year travelling the world playing Challenger Series tournaments to gain a foothold onto the ATP World Rankings. Danai has enjoyed a very successful year reaching finals in New Delhi (India) and Belo Horizonte (Brazil).

“Playing professional tennis week in, week out has improved my game enormously”, said Danai. “The wild card into the Thailand Open means a lot to me. It’s an opportunity to secure more ATP points, which is crucial for my World Rankings,” added the Thai ace.

“We plan for the Thailand Open to recognize the ambitions of Thailand’s tennis professionals and by giving wild cards to aspiring local players, tennis in Thailand will have the opportunity to grow and prosper,” said Mr. Chaiyapak Siriwat, Chairman of the Thailand Open Organizing Committee. “We have seen Danai fighting it out on the ATP to try and break through to the top. We hope the wild card will help him to climb further in the ATP World Rankings,” he added.

“We are proud to give Danai an opportunity to play against the world’s best players on the ATP circuit”, said Brian L. Marcar, Managing Director of tournament promoter and entertainment giant BEC-TERO Entertainment. “What a historic moment it will be as Danai and Paradorn will be the first Thai players to compete in the same ATP World Ranking Event for the very first time,” he added.

The Thailand Open will be played at Impact Arena, Muang Thong Thani from 20 – 28 September, 2003. Also confirmed to play are 2003 French Open Champion Juan Carlos Ferrero, former World No.1 Carlos Moya, ATP Champions Race No.1 Andy Roddick and Thailand’s own Paradorn Srichaphan.

Vut
09-08-2003, 11:08 AM
Go Danai :)

jirobkk
09-11-2003, 03:15 AM
TENNIS / THAILAND OPEN (From : Today's Bangkok Post)

Paradorn aims for top eight finish
Star upbeat about Thai Open chances
Wanchai Rujawongsanti

Thai tennis ace Paradorn Srichaphan aims to finish the year in the top eight in the world rankings to qualify for the lucrative season-ending Masters Cup.

Paradorn is upbeat about his chance of clinching a place in the Masters Cup 2003 in Houston as his six remaining tournaments, beginning with the Thailand Open, are on hardcourt, his favourite surface.

The top eight players in the Champions' Race are eligible for the Masters Cup. Paradorn moved from 16th to 12th this week thanks to his impressive performance in the US Open where he reached the fourth round before losing to Australian Lleyton Hewitt.

Paradorn has 255 points to current No 8 Argentine David Nalbandian's 358.

``All the six tournaments will be played on hardcourt and five of them indoors. I should be doing well. It is highly possible for me to be in the top eight,'' the Thai star said yesterday.

As for the Thailand Open which is scheduled from September 20-28 at Muang Thong Thani, Paradorn is confident that he will reach the semi-finals.

As one of the four top seeds at the Thailand Open, Paradorn will not meet the other three players before the semi-finals. The three are world No 1 Juan Carlos Ferrero, the French Open champion; No 2 Andy Roddick who defeated Ferrero for the US Open title on Sunday; and No 6 Carlos Moya.

Paradorn said he had dreamed about playing in an ATP tournament on home soil since he was a child and his dream was going to be true at the Thailand Open.

``The tournament comes at a right time. I have been in good form,'' said Paradorn, who retained the TD Waterhouse Cup _ the fourth ATP Tour title in his career _ just before the US Open.

Before the Thailand Open, Paradorn will lead the Kingdom against the Czech Republic in a Davis Cup World Group playoff, also at Muang Thong Thani.

Despite enjoying home court advantage, Paradorn said it was not likely that Thailand would get past the Czechs, led by Jiri Novak, for a place in the elite 16-nation World Group. ``It is very difficult,'' he admitted.

The 24-year-old and his family have been granted an audience with His Majesty the King next Wednesday at Klaikangwon Palace in Hua Hin where he will give the King the TD Waterhouse trophy he won last month.

Meanwhile, a group of Thais in the United States, led by Thanakorn Tuangmanee, has set up the Thai Tennis Organisation in America to cheer Thai tennis players in US tournaments and to give them help if necessary.

The organisation is also willing to give advice on tickets and accommodation to Thais who want to go to watch Thai tennis players in the US. The group is based in Washington DC and can be reached at thaitennisorg@yahoo.com.

jirobkk
09-11-2003, 03:42 AM
Tournament logo:

http://www.thaiticketmaster.com/sport/images/atp/atp.jpg

The background of the logo is Grand Palace and Temple of the Emerald Buddha. The most important landmarks in the City of Angels are the Grand Palace and Temple of the Emerald Buddha. The Palace is a large walled complex comprising several buildings dating back 200 years that are used for specific occasions. The royal temple houses the most revered Buddha image in Thailand, exquisitely carved from a block of jade.

More information please visit : http://www.tourismthailand.org/index.php

jirobkk
09-12-2003, 03:27 AM

The equipment and the court which be imported from Spain just arrived Bangkok.

70,000 kilograms of high quality tennis equipment was officially handed over to the organisers of the US$550,000 (Bt22.9 million) Thailand Open, the first ATP-sanctioned event ever held in Thailand.

The tournament at the end of this month has cost organisers $120,000 in import fees to bring in the equipment, including the court.

"So far everything is good. The only problem we have is the rough ground. We have to level it before starting to put everything in place," said Peter Rooney, production manager of BEC-Tero International Division.

"By this Saturday the court will be done and will be ready for the players to practice with on Sunday," he added.

Piyarat Setthasiriphaiboon
THE NATION