Step aside Andy, Katrina Grand Slammed [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Step aside Andy, Katrina Grand Slammed

blosson
08-31-2005, 09:53 AM
I woke up this morning and 5 minutes later I was checking the online USO scoreboard I left on last night. Shock. I even thought it was broken due to the all even score! Obviously I was disappointed. Sad. I even felt sorry for Andy. :sad:

10 more minutes later, I start to absorb other more important, more serious, terrible news. My toughts are with all the poeple from Louisiana to Florida, to everyone who lost their belongings, their cars, dogs, cats, their houses, their loved ones. New Orleans is too good to be done, I hope reconstruction works can be done soon after the flood is cleared and the place is put back to its glory. Best of the best wishes. Bless America. :D

Tytta!.
08-31-2005, 12:20 PM
blosson :hug:

Noelle
08-31-2005, 02:24 PM
Maria Sharapova said last year after her third round loss to Mary Pierce that her loss was nothing compared to the loss of the victims and their families in Beslan, Russia.

My condolences and prayers also are with Katrina's victims.

Deboogle!.
08-31-2005, 03:55 PM
Yes, absolutely. Andy lost a tennis match, his and everyone else's lives will go on. I have been so busy with my stuff for school that I haven't even paid that much attention to this tragedy but what little I have heard is numbing. I went to New Orleands several years ago and I remember on our way from the airport the cab driver told us all these things about it being below sea level and whatnot. Truly truly devestating and there's not a whole lot to say.... it surely puts everything in perspective and makes me feel silly when I sit here and stress about some footnotes in an article and a cute boy I want to like me, lol.

Most Americans have this way of supporting and lifting each other during times of crisis, I'm sure this will be no different. One of my best friends is starting a 1-year stint with the Americacorps emergency response team, tomorrow.... I bet his first thing will be to go to that area right after his training.

I don't know that the Andy forum has any or many regulars from that area but if we do or if we have lurkers or something from that region and they're somehow able to read this, a big huge :hug: to them and assurance that somehow, it'll be ok.

PinkFeatherBoa
08-31-2005, 05:11 PM
Yeah, I agree with what everyone said here. It sure does put into perspective, these little things that we naturally blow way out of proportion. It's sad how it takes somethins so bad to teach some people how fortunate they really are.
I wish everyone affected by this tragedy well. :hug:

blosson
08-31-2005, 06:26 PM
Yeah, I was upset with Andy's first round loss when more tragic things were happening elsewhere. I felt really silly.

Where does Nat lives? Isn't it Florida?

surfpinky
08-31-2005, 08:23 PM
yeah, I saw pictures and video of New Orleans, it looks horrible. It's sad, my prayers go to those who lost everything, and those who lost their lives and loved ones.
Where does Nat lives? Isn't it Florida?
yes I live in florida :] but the storm didn't pass through here, I'm in central florida (last year was the bad year, 3 storms ): ) All I got was rain.
:hug:

MisterQ
08-31-2005, 08:39 PM
I found out that my friends near New Orleans are OK, thankfully... but haven't heard details on the state of their property or anything.

Jennay
08-31-2005, 10:38 PM
Blosson :hug:

I don't like when people say 'Andy's life sucks' just because he lost a match, that is so ridiculous. Andy has everything he could ever want, and if he doesn't he could buy it. These people have no place to go anymore. No belongings. No city. No food, water, or electric. Some lost family members.

Seleshfan
08-31-2005, 11:04 PM
Well Roddick did say he'd give up anything to go back to try and change the result of that match. I would assume anything includes, home, electricity, food, his city, and maybe a distant relative or two.

Q. He seemed to really go after your backhand tonight. At one point you yelled out, "Make a backhand." Was that frustrating you?
ANDY RODDICK: It was. I mean, like I said, I didn't -- you know, normally when you have a loss, you can sense in preparation, you can sense something's not quite right, or you're going in without a lot of confidence. This is the first loss I've had like this where I felt, you know, great going in. 24 hours ago, I was really optimistic about my prospects here. You know, I'm in a little bit of shock right now, to be honest. I'd give anything to go back four hours right now.

partygirl
09-01-2005, 12:53 AM
ive just begun to see how truely awful this storm was i live in california so we dont see that sorta thing....i really hope anyone touched by it can soon recover...but i have to say we all have to realize that global warming is REAL and the smallest changes make the biggest impact in the environment, i was reading about how global warming is affecting the strenghth of the atlantic ocean and its so true in the southeast usa it seems like these storms never stop there used to be hurricane season now its just worse after worse after worse...and then some more....something has to change- or we are all in for it- i cant imgine what it will be like when the largest ocean- the pacific starts to become effected by what we are doing to our environment:eek:
could it be worse then EL nino? :eek: :eek:

Jennay
09-01-2005, 02:25 AM
:worship: Jmac for donating $25,000 and Serena $100 per ace she hits the rest of the year. Anything and everything helps.

Éowyn
09-01-2005, 02:47 AM
JMac rules :)

MissFairy
09-02-2005, 11:11 AM
:worship: Jmac for donating $25,000 and Serena $100 per ace she hits the rest of the year. Anything and everything helps.
That's so awesomely sweet of them both (: It's nice when people who are in the position to help like that, do.

Natural disasters are always so shocking and devastating. Noone can change what happened and peoples lives are ruined and/or disrupted and i'm here worrying about the most minute things that have not even nearly the same weight, it's so silly.

:hug:s to anyone who is affected, or knows anyone who is affected by Katrina. My thoughts are with you.

And yay, for your friends Q. It must've been a relief to hear from them :D I hope their homes are okay too, though :hug:

Deboogle!.
09-02-2005, 04:00 PM
There was also a link on the ATP site last night with Andy's pic on it - apparently a lot of players are donating stuff and whatnot to an auction, etc. (gee that was helpful info!)

http://www.atptennis.com/en/newsandscores/news/2005/katrina_relief.asp

tangerine_dream
09-02-2005, 04:04 PM
I'm kindof annoyed by Serena's contribution. $100 for every ace she hits--this isn't a game, Serena. Either donate the money lump sum or don't bother. They need help now :o

Deboogle!.
09-02-2005, 04:07 PM
Well, as much as I dislike her, I think she is doing it with only good intentions :)

Plus, they'll still need money at the end of the year, and in 5 years, etc...

J. Corwin
09-02-2005, 05:11 PM
I like the idea and I agree she only has good intentions but "only" $100 per ace? :p
She's not an ace machine by any means and she won't be playing many tournaments at all for the rest of the year. But still, bless her. :)

My thoughts and prayers are with all the affected people. :hug:

Fumus
09-02-2005, 07:44 PM
I am going to donate sperm, I think.

What?! Like they didn't lose any of that in flood! ;)

haha...no seriously, I donated $20 to the Red Cross on my Albany campus this morning.

partygirl
09-03-2005, 12:57 AM
i find myself glued to my tv watching coverage of this disaster, i cant believe the scope.

the saddest thing is people died drowning in water, and people are dying because they have no water...how could it be any worse?

by the way fumus ill take that sperm donation....
just kidding :baby: im not the one in need right now :sad: :angel:

blosson
09-14-2005, 10:11 PM
Andy stepping up for charity.

http://www.andyroddick.com/images/news/2272image.jpg

Andy Roddick Sends Aid To Hurricane Victims
By Lucy Flory
2005-09-12

The Andy Roddick Foundation is pleased to announce that Andy Roddick has personally selected the McCormick Tribune Foundation's Special Hurricane Relief Campaign to help the victims of Hurricane Katrina. The $50,000 donation will be used to support organization providing for food, shelter, health care and other basic necessities for the victims.

Hurricane Katrina, which hit Louisiana the 29th of August has left much devastation in its wake. The people there are in great need of support which is why the McCormick Tribune Foundation initiated its campaign. In total, so far, the McCormick Tribune Foundation, based in Chicago, has raised more than 5.5 million. One hundred percent of all money donated will support disaster relief organizations that money to disaster relief organizations, the aid will be both short and long term, for children and communities affected by the hurricane.

To further increase donations, the McCormick Tribune Foundation will match the first $2 million donated at 50 cents on the dollar. They are working intensely with local agencies, in the south and south east, that will help hurricane victims meet basic human needs.

In light of the Hurricane disaster, Andy Roddick recently stated, "I think we all need to realize how lucky we are to be healthy. I truly feel blessed. It makes our day to day problems seem rightfully petty. I also love how our country reacts to adversity, and we all truly become one to help in the fight."

The motto of the Andy Roddick Foundation is to "help children today for tomorrow." By donating to the McCormick Tribune Foundation, this goal will certainly be achieved.

For more information about the Andy Roddick Foundation, please visit www.arfoundation.org. To read more about the McCormick Tribune Foundation Relief Campaign, please go to www.rrmtf.org.

For More Information: Contact Doris Porter at The Andy Roddick Foundation at 561-620-9449.