Ivan: News and Articles [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Ivan: News and Articles

El Legenda
08-28-2005, 08:52 PM
other day Rosie posted article but there was no thread for it...so here it is.

El Legenda
08-28-2005, 08:53 PM
When war broke out in the Balkans, your family were forced to flee. That must have been so tough.

My father couldn't leave Bosnia with us. For six months it was only me, my mother and my brother. He arrived later with the Red Cross who were trying to unite families that had been separated. It was not possible for males over the age of 28 to leave the country. I still don't know how he managed it. It was really difficult. But he did it.

- You used to carry a photo of Goran Ivanisevic winning Wimbledon as an inspiration. Do you still have it?

I probably still have it somewhere. I certainly didn't throw it away. It shows that if you want something so much you're going to get it. Sometimes you see movies with stories like that and you think it's too much because it could never happen. But with Goran it did.

- After the Balkan wars how did tennis players lile you decide which state to play for?

If you came from the former Yugoslavia, you can choose which new Balkan state to play under. Yugoslavia was made up of 6 republics - Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzogovina, Serbia, Macedonia and Montenegro. The whole of Yugoslavia was (racially) mixed, but Bosnia was the most mixed. I guess 90% of people who play for Bosnia is any sport are Muslims. Croatians who live in Croatia obviously play for Croatia, and Serbians who live in Serbia play for Serbia. Bosnian Croats or Serbs may choose to play for Bosnua, but Bosnia is poor, so if you're Croatian and good in some sport you try to go to Zagreb because they have better facilities. If you're Serbian you try to go to Belgrade in Serbia. Then once you're there you switch nationality.

- If there was one rule in tennis you could change what would it be?

The HawkEye camera would help tennis a lot. I feel that sometimes the world's top players or the local guys are protected in certain ways by the linesman. Being a Croatian, and having only one event in Croatia the whole year, I am always playing away from home. The linesman are always local people. I'm not saying they're bad, but sometimes they cannot take the pressure. In a normal match, say there are 10 to 15 balls that are 50/50 where the nornal eye cannot see if they're good or bad. In 90% of cases the linesman's decision will go to the local player.

HawkEye could be linked to a screen courtside. It could show where the ball landed. The crowd could get involved. It would be fun.

- What irritates you about your job?

Every time you leave a tournament you leave after losing a match. There's only one guy who leaves in a good mood. Also, we have unbelievebly huge expenses. We have to pay for almost everything. Plus we're not protected financially if something bad happens to us like an injury. If you don't play you lose points, you don't earn money and you still have expenses.

- You got married last year. How is married life?

My wide Aida loves me very much, We've been together 9 years now so the realtionship if nothing new. It's another step I've made in my life. I feel a more complete person now.

- What car do you drive?

Mercedes E-class.

- Favourite music, films and books?

"Metallica" is my favourite band, along with "Guns and Roses". Heavy rock is the kind of music that even if you listen to it every day for many years you never get tired of it.

Tom Cruise and George Clooney are good actors in my opinion. I don't like movies that are too serious -the action would be limited, "Ocean 11" is one of my favourites. If I read on a day I am playing I feel a little dizzy, so I try not to read before I play. Since I play most of the time I don't have much chance to read. I've read all the Harry Potter books though, and I like easy reading books like Wilbur Smith. Your mind goes somewhere away from reality and you can relax.

El Legenda
08-29-2005, 08:39 PM
Ljubicic Defeats Summerer in Straight Sets
by Erin Bruehl
Monday, August 29, 2005

Despite struggling with his serve throughout the match and being forced to a second set tie-break, No. 18 Ivan Ljubicic defeated qualifier Tobias Summerer of Germany in straight sets, 6-3, 7-6 (4), 6-3, to advance to the second round of the US Open.

Ljubicic, the Davis Cup hero from Croatia who defeated both Andy Roddick and Andre Agassi to help eliminate the United States in this year's Cup, dominated early, breaking Summerer on his first serve to go up 2-0 in the first set. Summerer was able to hold his serve the rest of the set but struggled defending Ljubicic's serve, scoring just four points off the Croatian's serve in the first set. Both players had consistent trouble getting their first serves over the net but the rest of the set stayed on serve.

Summerer put pressure on Ljubicic in the second set, breaking him in the fourth game to go up 3-1 after Ljubicic double faulted twice, missed a drop shot and hit a return shot into the net. Summerer won the next game to take a 4-1 lead but Ljubicic started to rebound, winning his next service game and then breaking Summerer in the seventh game after Summerer double faulted twice and then hit a return shot into the net after a long baseline rally. Ljubicic then broke again in the eleventh game to take a 6-5 lead but Summerer immediately broke back with several impressive winners down the line to force a tie-break. Ljubicic fell behind 4-2 to start the tie-break but scored five straight points to take the set.

In the third set, they traded service breaks in the second and third games, but for the most part, despite repeatedly faulting on his first serve, Ljubicic took the set rather handily, including breaking Summerer once again in the sixth game.

linus
08-29-2005, 10:17 PM

El Legenda
08-29-2005, 11:50 PM
from Ivan's website.

- It wasn’t simple, Summerer has great return with a lot of risk – said Ivan after the match. – He found his strike after three matches in the qualifications. I won first set routinely and then I gave him break with two double faults and two missed forehands. I fought back, but when serving for the set I was hopeless. He fired back four returns. I was always made to play hard on my serve. Still, I pulled back in tie break and won in three. I’m satisfied with my game and win.

Ivan will face 30 year old Frenchman Cyril Saulnier.

- He’s tough opponent. We played three times. Two years ago in Miami he won, I won in Bangkok. First time we met here in qualifications six years ago and he won. Although he doesn’t suit my game too much, my confidence is high and it should be ok.

I♥PsY@Mus!c
08-31-2005, 05:01 AM
Thanks for all news! :rocker:
This time he must win. ;)

El Legenda
09-02-2005, 10:32 PM
Ivan will play in the third round of U.S. Open for the first time in career! Four times Ivan lost in the second round, this time he beat Cyril Saulnier 7:6(5) 5:7 6:4 6:4. Ivan will play in the third round of the Grand Slam Tournaments for the third time. First time it was in Melbourne in 2002. and then in Paris in 2003. Too little, but maybe this will mean the end of the draught.

It didn’t go easy. Ivan won the first set in tiebreak. In the second, Ivan’s serve was in danger several times. In the eight game, he had to save 0:40, but he lost his serve and set in 12th game. Ivan didn’t allow Saulnier to turn the match around. He broke Frenchman in the seventh game of the third set to take it and first game of the fourth set. After that Ivan again had to save his own serve. Saulner had break point in second game, 15:40 in fourth, three break points in eighth… Ivan managed to save them all. Then Ivan missed to break Saulnier serve to take the match at 5:3, but Ivan served out the match one game later. Most likely, Ivan will meet another Frenchman, No. 13 seeded Richard Gasquet. :wavey:

El Legenda
09-30-2005, 04:44 AM
Ivan's website.
Ivan took Croatia to the Davis Cup final! In live fourth rubber against Russia, Ivan beat Nikolay Davydenko 6:3 7:6(6) 6:4 and won a crucial third point. Ivan’s seventh singles Davis Cup win, eleventh overall means that Croatia will be playing in the final of Davis Cup. :worship:

lovemario
10-01-2005, 07:24 PM
Thought you guys might like this,article and some nice pics of Ivan and his wife
http://www.gloria.com.hr/site/mainpages/detail3.php?active=sadrzaj&godina=2005&mjesec=rujan&broj=560&link=560ljubicic.htm

I♥PsY@Mus!c
10-01-2005, 07:29 PM
Thanks but I don't know Croatian.Any Croatian-English translator machine? :wavey:

lovemario
10-01-2005, 08:13 PM
I can do that but need to give me some time :wavey:

lovemario
10-02-2005, 12:48 AM
Marriage bliss on distance

Tennis player thanks to who croatia entered the dc final for the first time, lives in Monte Carlo and his wife in Zagreb,so they dont see each other often and they decided not to make bigger family(have kids) until his sport career ends

'I want to be remembered as a tennis player who led his country into a dc final. Dc has always been sth special for me'-said Ivan, #1 cro tennis player and #14 in the world. His wish has fulfilled: on Sunday, September 25,he beat N.Davydenko and became a first croatian t.player thanks to who cro entered a dc final.
With many fans, on the full stands of Gripe was his family:wife Aida,mother Hazira,father Marko,brother Vlado and Aida's brother and parents. After dinner in 'Villa Dalmacija' where cro team was staying,celebration was continued in 'Tribu' club. Ivan opened the party with the bottle of champaign, alongside him were Pilic,Ancic,Karlovic,Tuksar and many other sportmen.
But exhaustion and emotions did its part, and Ivan and Aida left the club first, little before midnight.

Almost slept standing

'I was dead tired and if I had stayed few more minutes,I would have slept standing.It's nice to be a winner,enjoy ovations and congradulations,but neither this time I had time for longer celebration and rest.Next day Ivan left to Monte Carlo.
Ivan moved there 8 years ago where he has ideal training conditions. But there are two sides to that-sacrifising marriage life. Ever since Ivan and Aida(lawschool graduate) married last year in November, couple lives in two cities. Davis cup in Split was a good opportunity to spent a week together.
'I like to be on tournaments with Ivan,to cheer cause atmosphere is always special. Once you get 'addicted' to tennis,it's hard to leave it. Ivan prepares himself in MC for matches, and cause of my obligations on court, I rarely can join him. For now. So every coming of his t cro is like a honeymoon for us:inlove: We had a feek in May when Ivan won Zagreb open. But he was training most of the time then as well as now,in Split. One day we managed to go to ban Jelačić square where Ivan bought a book in bookstore. We didnt get to take a walk in Split,Ivan didnt even get to eat his favourite food speciality-ćevape(maybe RDucky can explain what it is ;) ). But stil I'm not sorry;the most important is that he won,I know how much dc means to him'-said Aida and added that Ivan became very independent since living in MC. On Monday,preparing in Rijeka to leave to Monaco,he packed his 30 kilos heavy luggage very quickly.

'I always have a lots of bags,my hands fall of to take them to my car.I promise to myself everytime that I would take less luggage on the next trip. And when I start packing,in ten minutes my bag is full of half of my closet. I think it's better to take more than to lack of sth. Other than tennis stuff and everyday clothes,I always take camera and laptop so the bags are full and I can barely close them.

For 8 years in MC Ivan has planned schedule.Wakes up at 7.30,joggs,has breakfast,then hour and a half practises upper body part. At noon,he's on the tennis court,after lunch practises,runs,before night plays tennis for another hour and a half.After last meal,he's fot nothing else other bed.
After one week in MC,Ivan leaves to Metz and then Wienna where Aida should join him.
'I dont know if we'll be able to go on our traditional vacation in November.' says Ivan.
'I dont have time for relaxing and private life until my sport career is lasting. Aida and me are not planning kids now,dont want my child to grow up without me.'

I♥PsY@Mus!c
10-02-2005, 07:28 AM
Thanks for spending time to translate this article,Lovemario! :bigclap:
Yes DC is so meaningful for him,will Aida travel in Slovakia with him in Dec? :aplot:

lovemario
10-02-2005, 08:57 PM
Have no idea,she should anyway ;)

El Legenda
10-02-2005, 08:58 PM
Thanks for spending time to translate this article,Lovemario! :bigclap:
Yes DC is so meaningful for him,will Aida travel in Slovakia with him in Dec? :aplot:

Aida, his family and friends will all be there.

I♥PsY@Mus!c
10-02-2005, 09:24 PM
Aida, his family and friends will all be there.
Will you be there as well? :aplot:

El Legenda
10-02-2005, 09:33 PM
Will you be there as well? :aplot:

finals week :sad:

Choupi
11-19-2005, 10:27 PM
I've translated an interview Ivan gave to French Tennis Magazine during Berçy. You can find it here: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=2708834#post2708834

El Legenda
11-20-2005, 01:44 AM
I've translated an interview Ivan gave to French Tennis Magazine during Berçy. You can find it here: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=2708834#post2708834

thank you :)

DJ dropshot
01-01-2006, 05:43 PM
Sorry if this has been posted before but Ivan has a blog on ATP site for Chennai:

http://www.atptennis.com/en/newsandscores/news/2006/blog_ljubicic.asp

Enjoy!

linus
01-07-2006, 10:36 AM
now Ivan would have more friends than before via his blog ;)

ATP is wise :D

Fergie
02-05-2006, 07:56 PM
:banana:

Top seed Ljubicic wins second season title at Zagreb Indoors

ZAGREB, Croatia (AP) -- Top-seeded Ivan Ljubicic defeated Austrian qualifier Stefan Koubek 6-3, 6-4 Sunday to win his second title of the year at the Zagreb Indoors.

The No. 5-ranked Ljubicic improved to 14-1 this season, winning his fifth career title. He reached the quarterfinals in the Australian Open and won last month in Chennai, India.

"The year has started brilliantly for me, it is unbelievable," Ljubicic said. "Everybody expected me to go all the way here at home and it was tough, so this is phenomenal."

Ljubicic led Croatia to its first Davis Cup title last year.

"Everybody thought 2005 was the year of my dreams, especially considering the Davis Cup triumph, but it looks like this year could be even better," he said.

Ljubicic's first break came in the seventh game of the first set. His next came in the second game of the following set with a delicate slice that Koubek failed to get back.

Koubek, who needed to play three extra games to qualify for the main draw, beat Ljubicic in their last two meetings. This time, he could not find an answer for the power and precision of his opponent.

Koubek had previously won an ATP tournament as a qualifier in Atlanta in 1999.

The match was a preview to next week's Davis Cup match between Croatia and Austria in Graz, Austria.

"It will be a totally different affair in Austria," Ljubicic said. "There will be a different crowd, different conditions, not easy at all. But I hope everything will be OK."

I♥PsY@Mus!c
02-05-2006, 08:53 PM
Thanks Laura! :yeah:

He is right,Austria will be different from Croatia!He was the hero and won it in 05, :hatoff: I don't mind if he loses this,before the event between Santoro and asshole captain :mad: I cheered for France so much,but now I want Croatia and Chile to win much more,that team France is a disaster right now! :spit:

El Legenda
02-11-2006, 05:14 PM
http://www.unhcr.org/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/news/opendoc.htm?tbl=NEWS&id=43eb49fe4

Ivan Ljubicic's long journey from refugee to tennis stardom: "You simply have to carry on"

ZAGREB, 9 Feb (UNHCR) – It's been a long road from the status of a refugee to joining the elite of the tennis world. But in December, more than 13 years after fleeing the violence of disintegrating Yugoslavia, Ivan Ljubicic led the team in his new home of Croatia to victory in the Davis Cup, the international team tennis championship.

The 26-year-old Ljubicic, currently ranked fifth in the world, had a remarkable 2005. Apart from securing the Davis Cup for his young nation of only 4.5 million people, Ljubicic crowned his individual season by participating in the Masters Cup that grouped the world's best eight players. But it's his history as a refugee makes him unique among the stars of tennis.

"It wasn't easy during all those years in my childhood."' he told the UN refugee agency. " I guess it'll have effect on me for the rest of my live. I didn't have many choices when deciding what I wanted to do in life. My refugee experience had taught me that you simply have to carry on."

Ljubicic was born on March 19, 1979 in Banja Luka in what was then Yugoslavia. Inspired by the performances of his idol, former Swedish tennis star Stefan Edberg, Ivan began to practice at the age of nine. By 12 he won his first junior tournament. But the start of Ljubicic's rise coincided with the beginning of the disintegration of Yugoslavia, a federation of republics with various ethnic groups and religions.

In 1992 war hit the republic where he lived, Bosnia and Herzegovina. Bosnian Serb forces, backed by the Yugoslav army and paramilitary forces, began "ethnic cleansing" of the republic's other constituent peoples, Moslems (Bosniaks) and Croats. The Ljubicic family decided to leave. With his father Marko not allowed to go, 13-year-old Ivan, his mother and his three-year-older brother Vladan found themselves alone.

"The bus drove only women and children to the airport, where we took the plane for Belgrade," Ljubicic said. "My mum cried knowing that we were leaving for good. The trip to the airport was depressing with several stops on the checkpoints. The airplane landed in Belgrade around 10 a.m. We had to wait on the bus station the whole day waiting for another bus.

"My brother and I did what our father told us and stayed by our mother the whole time. Finally, at midnight, we departed for Slovenia, through Hungary. But, as the bus couldn't enter Slovenia because of the Yugoslav license plates, we crossed the border on foot, entered a second bus and drove towards Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia.

"We stayed there for a week until accommodation was arranged for us in the Adriatic town of Rijeka, in Croatia. After staying in Rijeka for a month, we finally ended up in the town of Opatija, in a hotel, which had been adapted to accommodate many other refugees who found shelter there. I didn't complain; I was only missing my dad," Ljubicic said.

After six months of separation, with little news of Marko, the family was finally reunited in November 1992 and settled in Rijeka.

"Being a kid at that time, I don't have particularly negative memories, or traumas, when I think of those days," Ljubicic said. But I know that it was very hard for my parents, to start from nothing – the mere fact that all their lives they were trying to build something, and then, over night, had to abandon everything. Those are moments in life when you have to find all the strength that is in you, to start completely from scratch. I know that it sounds simple, but the less you think about the past, the easier it is to face the future. "

Still, one can't forget the past entirely: "I am surprised at how often I dream of Banja Luka, our house there, my school, my friends."

In April 1993, Ljubicic and seven other talented refugee tennis players from Bosnia and Herzegovina were invited to study tennis in Italy. He spent almost three years there. In 1995, he won the Croatian championship for players under 16 years of age and in 1996 Ljubicic reached the finals of the junior Wimbledon. But it took "Ljubo", as he is known in Croatia, almost 10 more years of victories and defeats to become a star.

Ljubicic says he cannot understand the ignorance and negative stereotypes facing refugees.

"The biggest problem is the way mass media presents refugees, showing them mostly as convoys of people without anything, because it is their interest to show only misery and plight. And this creates fear of them, because they have nothing," he said. "But, refugees are also educated people, people who, like everybody else, want to make something of their lives.

"My life taught me never to judge people by their looks, or where they come from, but to try to see only the best in every person."

I♥PsY@Mus!c
02-11-2006, 09:06 PM
"My life taught me never to judge people by their looks, or where they come from, but to try to see only the best in every person."
Hope you don't mind when I say it again,I'm so emotional :crying2: when I saw this sentence. :tears: I really like this attitude esp not many people can do that.Ivan has this thought mainly because of his hard life in youth,like he said,when things go bad,"You simply have to carry on"! :boxing:

Thanks for the nice article. :clap2:

I♥PsY@Mus!c
03-19-2006, 09:41 AM
March 16, 2006

R. FEDERER/I. Ljubicic

6-2, 6-3

An interview with:

IVAN LJUBICIC

THE MODERATOR: Questions for Ivan.

Q. How do you look at this match? One-sided? Do you think you didn't play up to your potential?
IVAN LJUBICIC: I was thinking what to say really on the way here. But it's really hard for me because definitely I'm sure it looked different from my point of view and from your point of view because I was in there. My feeling is I probably tried too hard, went over, tried a little bit probably more than I'm doing every day, and that's never good. I think also he played quite well and he was the one who was pushing me over the limits.
When it's like that, it's very difficult to make a statement out there, to make a decent match.

Q. If you had to identify two things that make him different from all other players, what would you say?
IVAN LJUBICIC: There are not two; there are many. But return and movement.

Q. Is it one of the best matches he's played against you?
IVAN LJUBICIC: I mean, you have to ask him. I would really like to hear what he's going to say about the match because my feeling definitely that it is.
But, as I said, it's my point of view. I don't know what people outside saw, what his feeling is. But I didn't felt like he gave me many chances today out there.

Q. You had a high serve percentage in the second set, not too well on second serves. Did you think about taking more chances?
IVAN LJUBICIC: Actually in the second set I tried to slow down the game a bit. In the first set I tried really to play fast game, and obviously that suits his game perfectly. But I thought maybe that's the only chance I can trouble him a little bit.
But it was not the case. I stayed back a little bit on returns and tried to make a little more rallies instead of just ripping the ball. I mean, of course didn't work that either.

Q. On your serves, going for more.
IVAN LJUBICIC: No, I can't really go much more on the serve, especially from that side where you have the sun in your eyes, it's really difficult with the ball toss. It's not about the serve. I mean, you can't win a match only with the serve, especially not against Roger.
I think his percentage was very high. I didn't see the numbers, but he didn't give me really many second serves that I could maybe step in and try to lead the rally. But he knows me very well. I guess he did that on purpose.

Q. I think it could be said you conquered the world last year when you led Croatia to the championship of the Davis Cup, but you can't beat Federer. Is he that much apart in men's tennis?
IVAN LJUBICIC: For me, he definitely is. I don't know for the others, but for me. I really consider myself top 5 player in the world, which it doesn't mean that I am close to Roger. I think he's really much better than I am, and then probably anyone else. The only player who can give him some trouble at the moment, it's Rafael Nadal. But I think just because he's lefty, nothing else.
But we'll see. I mean, when he's on top of his game, there's no one out there who can give him any trouble. It depends mainly on him.

Q. Last year it seemed like you were right there in this tournament. Did that encourage you today, "I almost did it last year"?
IVAN LJUBICIC: Actually, I watched that match on tape just before coming here. But it was different conditions because was night session. There was no sun. So for my serve, it's much better if it's night session and if conditions are perfect. Like indoors, also, in Shanghai, we played great match, 7-6 in the third. In Rotterdam, 7-6 in the third. So for me it's much better if we play in steady conditions instead of a little wind out there and sunshine. So it was definitely different match.
But I think he definitely played better today than he played last year.

Q. Did you just watch that tape or other tapes?
IVAN LJUBICIC: No, just that, because I had only one tape in my home. Accidentally it was that one. It was two weeks ago in Monte-Carlo. I watched with my coach. Because I thought that match was really good, one of the best matches I played last year. We saw a couple things that maybe I could improve. But not because I wanted to beat Roger or anything against him, but just to try to realize what I can improve in my game or what things are different now than they were a year ago.

Q. Croatia is still in the Davis Cup this time.
IVAN LJUBICIC: Yes.

Q. Are you confident you can win it again?
IVAN LJUBICIC: Why not? We won it last year. I don't see why we can't do it again. We are a young team, nothing really changed since last year, not many things. We have now Argentina at home. I think also you can say that we can win that one, and then we'll see.
Semis would be potential Australia or Belarus, which is again open match. You know, who knows. Why not? We really know how strong we are. We have definitely strong doubles and great two singles. Why not?
Of course, we have to stay healthy. We have to be top fit because then our bench, it's not very long. So far was going okay. I don't see why we shouldn't continue our winning streak.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports

http://www.pacificlifeopen.com/en/players/interviews/2006/ljubicic316.asp

He is a bit like Safin who plays better on indoor than outdoor,next time hope he won't take too long time to adapt the hot weather. :cool: Also don't lose confidence against him! :)

MariaV
03-30-2006, 09:13 AM
Hey, I didn't know where to post it, here or in the DC thread.

Captain's duties weigh down Ljubicic

MIAMI, March 29 (Reuters) - Croatia's Davis Cup quarter-final against Argentina next weekend will be Ivan Ljubicic's last as temporary captain.

"It is a lot of work, I have to say," the sixth seed told reporters after reaching the semi-finals of Miami's Nasdaq-100 Open on Wednesday.

"I just announced that this next match is gonna be my last as a captain. The problem is all the work with the media about the match, especially now when it's coming closer, all the talks with the federation representing the players, representing everyone.

"It's not easy, definitely. On a consistent basis, it's little bit too hard," he added after his 7-6 6-4 win over Argentine Agustin Calleri.

The quarter-final will be played in Zagreb on Apr. 7-9.

Twenty-seven-year-old Ljubicic, who has won two titles in 2006, said the position of responsibility while still an active player makes for a difficult relationship with friend and doubles partner Mario Ancic.

"One thing is (to) talk with Mario as a partner, but (it is another) to talk with him as a captain. With him, it's always I want to have a good relationship because we always play doubles together, we always do a lot of things together.

"I prefer that relationship to be healthy instead of making some mistakes as a captain."

Ljubicic said that he speaks to Goran Ivanisevic on a daily basis, with the Croatian tennis hero still undecided about taking over the captaincy despite popular demand.

"We all hope that Goran is gonna change his mind and gonna take the team. If that doesn't happen, then, we're gonna have another captain.

"He's not changing his mind at the moment. But he might, you just never know with him."

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=tennisNews&storyID=2006-03-29T233819Z_01_B783965_RTRIDST_0_SPORT-TENNIS-DAVIS-LJUBICIC.XML

belco
03-31-2006, 02:32 PM
Ljubicic quitting Cup captaincy
From correspondents in Miami
March 30, 2006

CROATIA's Davis Cup quarter-final with Argentina next week will be Ivan Ljubicic's last as temporary captain.

"It is a lot of work, I have to say," the sixth seed said after reaching the semi-finals of the Nasdaq-100 Open here today (AEDT).

"I just announced that this next match is gonna be my last as a captain. The problem is all the work with the media about the match, especially now when it's coming closer, all the talks with the federation representing the players, representing everyone.

"It's not easy, definitely. On a consistent basis, it's little bit too hard," he added after his 7-6 6-4 win over Argentia's Agustin Calleri.

The quarter-final will be played in Zagreb on April 7-9.

Ljubicic, 27, who has won two titles in 2006, said the position of responsibility while still an active player makes for a difficult relationship with friend and doubles partner Mario Ancic.

"One thing is (to) talk with Mario as a partner, but (it is another) to talk with him as a captain. With him, it's always I want to have a good relationship because we always play doubles together, we always do a lot of things together.

"I prefer that relationship to be healthy instead of making some mistakes as a captain." "We all hope that Goran is gonna change his mind and gonna take the team. If that doesn't happen, then, we're gonna have another captain.

Advertisement:
"He's not changing his mind at the moment. But he might, you just never know with him."

El Legenda
04-02-2006, 05:05 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/columns/story?id=2392512

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. -- If only tennis worked on strictly mathematical principles.

AP Photo/Lynne Sladky
Ivan Ljubicic is off to his best start as a pro at 25-3.
Ivan Ljubicic crushed David Nalbandian in Friday's Nasdaq-100 Open semifinal. Nalbandian is one of only a few players to beat Roger Federer in the last year, thwarting the near-untouchable world No. 1 in the 2005 ATP season-ending championships. Ergo, Ljubicic should beat Federer in Sunday's final, or at least give him a hard time, right?

The lanky Croatian is savvy enough to know it's not that simple for him or anyone else on the men's tour these days.

"That's one thing we all have in common," the 6th-ranked Ljubicic said Friday after securing his place in Sunday's Nasdaq-100 final against Federer with a 6-1, 6-2 mauling of No. 3 Nalbandian that ended with a 141-mph dagger of an ace. "We play tennis and then we play against Roger and we lose. Everyone feels the same except Roger."

The candid, personable Ljubicic, who is playing the best tennis of his career at age 27, drew laughter from reporters. But while Ljubicic knows it may be futile to try to throw Federer off course, he's bent on sticking to his own compass readings.

Ljubicic is 3-9 against Federer lifetime and has not beaten him since 2003, though he has forced him to at least one tiebreak in four of their last five matches. His last loss came in straight sets in the quarterfinals at Indian Wells earlier this month.

"I was trying a little bit too hard," Ljubicic said. "I went for some shots that I'm usually not going for. I found myself a little bit uncomfortable in some areas. If he's better, he's better, which he's probably gonna be. But I just want to keep my game plan and not go left-to-right, not go for too much.

"Every time when I have to play against him, it's like, 'Okay, maybe this is the one.' But it's never happening. A couple times I was very close. I really hope to be at least close on Sunday."

Federer, who dismissed No. 11 David Ferrer of Spain 6-1, 6-4 in the other semifinal, said he expects to be tested Sunday.

"I played a fantastic match in Indian Wells to dominate him," Federer said. "So if I could do the same, that would be great."

Ljubicic has become increasingly adept at melding athleticism and technique in a potent combination similar to Federer's, although Federer drew some distinctions.

“ That's one thing we all have in common ... We play tennis and then we play against Roger and we lose. Everyone feels the same except Roger. ”
— Ivan Ljubicic
"We both obviously have one-handed backhands, so we use our slices very much," Federer said. "We both play from the baseline. But again, I have to rely on more speed, I think court speed, where he has maybe more of the serve."

Ljubicic's 25-3 match record this season is second-best only to Federer's 27-1, and he will climb at least one rung in the rankings to No. 5 next week, equaling his career best. Beating Federer Sunday would put him at No. 4.

His success thus far in 2006 continues the momentum Ljubicic established last year when he was one of the most improved players on the men's tour. He won 20 more matches than he had the year before and led Croatia to the Davis Cup championship, winning 11 of 12 singles and doubles matches for the best record since John McEnroe in 1982.

"Even Roger Federer never won Davis Cup, so it's really something special, something that gives you confidence when you go out there and you look at the other opponent and you feel like you have something more than the other guys do," Ljubicic said.

He also won a silver medal in doubles at the 2004 Olympic Games, an accomplishment he describes as pivotal.

Ljubicic has added ATP titles in Croatia and India so far this season to bring his career total to five. Yet, he hasn't fared particularly well in Grand Slam events and reached a quarterfinal for the first time in this year's Australian Open, losing to eventual finalist Marcos Baghdatis.

After defeating Nalbandian Friday, Ljubicic said his chief goal this season is to reach the ATP year-end championships in Shanghai again. He was eliminated in his first trip there last year by back-to-back losses to Federer -- though he pushed him to a third-set tiebreak -- and eventual winner Nalbandian.

Ljubicic was born in Bosnia but fled to a refugee camp in Croatia at age 13 during the breakup of the former Yugoslavia. Several months later, he and other children affected by the war were invited to a special camp in northern Italy, where he developed his tennis skills.

His on-court style may resemble Federer's, but off the court, Ljubicic is more like his mentor and fellow Croat Goran Ivanisevic -- plain-spoken and unafraid to voice strong opinions, debunk hyperbole or crack wise.

He told a roomful of reporters at the 2003 U.S. Open that Andy Roddick was widely disliked for his showmanship during matches -- a statement that prompted a wee-hours phone call from Roddick.

Last year, Ljubicic was asked whether getting married in 2004 had settled him and helped boost his play. Other athletes might have gone with the cliché answer, but not Ljubicic. "I cannot say it's a big deal actually, because me and my wife, we stay together for more than eight years before getting married," he said.

On another occasion a reporter asked Ljubicic why Croatia seemed to produce so many good athletes. "It's not like there is a lot to do in Croatia," he said. "You have to play something."

At last year's Nasdaq-100, the joke was on Ljubicic when he opened his locker one morning and found French prankster Michael Llodra crammed inside, stark naked. There have been no such surprises this year. "It definitely keeps you more focused," Ljubicic said

Jadranka
04-10-2006, 09:03 PM
here you are =)

"Gloria"
http://jjgraphics.jj.funpic.de/ljubo.jpg

Fergie
04-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Cool pic! :yeah:

Fergie
09-12-2006, 01:42 AM
Ljubicic Lends Support to Special Olympics Monaco

Monte-Carlo resident Ivan Ljubicic, currently No. 3 in the INDESIT ATP Rankings, joined mentally handicapped children and adults at the Stade Louis II stadium, home to AS Monaco football club, this week in aid of the Special Olympics.

Founded in 1968 by Eunice Kennedy Shriver, sister of former US President John F. Kennedy, the Special Olympics is an international organization that provides year-round training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities.

When the movement spread to Europe in 1980, Monaco was one of the first nation’s to participate.

Ljubicic first got involved in the Special Olympics Monaco program in 2002, and has since provided funds for equipment and travel to the 50 young sportsmen and women, who participate in training sessions each week in the Principality.

“It is very satisfying for me to see the happiness on their faces and for me to participate and help fund such a worthwhile cause,” said Ljubicic, winner of the doubles bronze medal with Croatian compatriot Mario Ancic at the Olympic Games in Athens.

“As players we do not have much time at home, but I try to visit and support the Monaco program as best I can.”

Today, the Special Olympics cater for 2.25 million children and adults with intellectual disabilities in more than 150 countries.

El Legenda
09-12-2006, 03:43 AM
:yeah:

Fergie
09-14-2006, 05:33 PM
Ljubicic Visits Great Wall of China

China Open top seed and World No.3, Ivan Ljubicic, travelled to the Simatai section of the Great Wall of China at Gubeikou, almost 130 kilometres (80 miles) from the Chinese capital, Beijing on Wednesday.

The Simatai section of the Great Wall was constructed in 1368 during the reign of Emperor Hongwu of the Ming Dynasty. The section is considered to be one of the best-preserved sections of the Great Wall of China, which is characterized by its delicate and unique design and diversified structures.

“The first thing I thought was, it’s very hard to get here (from Beijing). It’s a long drive and it’s a long walk up here. It’s not easy but it’s definitely worth it. I have the most beautiful place where you can see the wall. You can see way up and way down. It’s just fantastic and the weather is beautiful as well, so I think, we were very lucky today,” said Ljubicic.

“It was a fantastic decision to come here and of course to win some matches is also good. But to have this opportunity to come here and see the Great Wall, it’s just amazing. All through my life I have read so many things about it, then the pictures and everything. But to actually sit here and to see it with your own eyes, that’s unbelievable.”

Ljubicic was joined on the trip by rising Russian star Igor Kunitsyn, the Croatian’s doubles partner in this year’s China Open, as well as the new US doubles pairing of Eric Butorac and Travis Parrott.

RickDaStick
09-22-2006, 02:35 AM
Ljubicic Visits Shanghai, Meets Masters Cup Ballkids

The Tennis Masters Cup is eight weeks away but Ivan Ljubicic, who is battling for a spot in the elite eight-man field, could taste the excitement of the Chinese fans as the World No.3 visited Shanghai this week.
On Tuesday morning, Ljubicic – the top seed in next week’s Thailand Open in Bangkok – practiced with China’s No.2 junior player Yin Xiao Long.

In the afternoon, the Croat served as an honorary judge for the nationally-televised Tennis Masters Cup ball kid contest, from which the final six ballkids from 1,300 applicants were chosen to serve at the circuit-finale.

In a fierce contest reminiscent of American Idol, Tennis Masters Cup sponsor China Mobile conducted a SMS text message contest in which the public voted for their favorite ballkids. Twenty kids tried out for the final six spots in a contest televised live on Tennis Masters Cup broadcaster SGS.

The kids had to get up on stage and talk in English and Chinese about why they wanted to become a Tennis Masters Cup ballkid. Ljubicic was interviewed on stage and played some mini tennis, and the successful six Tennis Masters Cup ballkids were given a chance to practice their skills.

On Wednesday, Ljubicic met 10 of the top lifestyle media and later hosted a press conference. In the afternoon, Ljubicic, who is chasing his third ATP title of the season, headed to the courts for another practice session with Yin Xiao Long.

On Thursday, Ivan will host a tennis clinic with the Special Olympics athletes.

Fergie
09-22-2006, 02:39 AM
Nice Ivan! :yeah:

croat123
09-22-2006, 10:54 PM
ljubo doing even more work with the special olympics :D

RickDaStick
01-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Ivan Ljubičić u Australiju je otputovao sjajnog raspoloženja. Po drugi put zaredom (Madras 2006.) nakon osvojenog turnira. Prepun samopouzdanja.
Nije loše naslovom otvoriti sezonu. Ovo mi je četvrta godina zaredom da odlično igram prvog tjedna godine. U Dohi se osvojilo malo casha za put (142.000 dolara nap. a.), no i 50 bodova za mirniji san uoči nastupa koji slijede, a na kojima branim velike rezultate. Mogu opuštenije ući u sljedeće turnire s osmijehom je rekao Ivan kojem se dio svijeta u kojem je boravio ovih dana posebno dopada.

Tu blizu, u Dubaiju, imao sam i određene investicije (navodno je riječ o apartmanu nap. a.). Neću sigurno nakon karijere tu živjeti, no područje mi je drago rekao je Ljubo i vratio se prošlotjednom nastupu. Posebno je zadovoljan činjenicom da je novi Headov reket potpuno položio ispit.

Izgleda da ću ga morati još jednom promijeniti, s ovim je prelagano igrati, ha, ha. Kada u sezonu ulaziš s novim reketom, najčešće gubiš mečeve. U prvom ili drugom kolu, najkasnije u četvrtfinalu. Pa onda ne napraviš neki rezultat u Australiji, i počneš sumnjati u izbor. Ovdje tome nema mjesta, sve je ispalo idealno. Bonusi od Heada? Nema ih za ovakve turnire, početni ugovor je ionako dobar. Bit će ih za Grand Slam turnire i one iz Masters serije uvjerava Ljubo.

Prvi je, barem ovog tjedna, na Utrci za prvaka. No, to mu nije toliko bitno. Brojke i statistike previše me ne zanimaju. Što, uostalom, znače? Da nisam ušao u četvrtfinale Dohe, bio bih sedmi na listi, a da nisam ušao u polufinale, šesti. Sada sam četvrti, što, istina, otvara neke dodatne mogućnosti na Australian Openu. Na primjer, ne mogu igrati protiv Federera sve do polufinala. Neću kriti, puno očekujem od nastupa u Melbourneu, lani sam tamo igrao prvi Grand Slam četvrtfinale.

No, u Australiji su uvjeti drukčiji nego u Dohi, treba se dobro pripremiti svjestan je Ivan. Formu za Australian Open glancat će na poznatom ekshibicijskom turniru u Kooyongu (predgađe Melbournea) koji se igra od srijede do subote. Osmorica velikih bit će tu i Federer, Roddick, Nalbandian, Safin, Haas, Štepanek, no i drugi finalist Dohe, Murray. Riječ je o klasičnoj ekshibiciji, koja prije svega služi za isprobavanje udaraca. Cilj je što spremniji dočekati ponedjeljak.

RickDaStick
01-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Ivan was training 4 times a day in the offseason. It definetely seems like its helped him. Ivan will AU Open,Zagreb,Davis Cup,Marseille, and Rotterdam. He said its a lot of tennis but it will only happen during this time. He will not play anywhere near that anymore this season. He also said anything but the finals in Melbourne would be a dissapointment.

Eden
05-05-2007, 08:55 PM
:wavey:

IVAN LJUBICIC: We Have to Knock Down Federer and Nadal
The Masters Series tournament in Rome starts on Monday, and best Croatian tennis player Ivan Ljubicic is free in the first round.

Fourth Masters Series tournament will be played on clay in Rome on Monday. Croatia’s best tennis player Ivan Ljubicic is free in the first round, and he will play the better of the Argentinean Jose Acasuso and Dutch Martin Verkerk encounter.

-The lot is OK, and it is up to me to show it. Last time I played against Acasuso I lost 6-2, 6-1. I can do better, I know this myself.

Ivan was of somewhat poorer quality in Rome and it goes his way that he is not defending points.

-This is a very good thing, every point matters to me. I do not feel bad in Rome, but I lost to better opponents each year. Everything is good here and I am satisfied with my game. But the result cannot come.

Tomas Berdych is the bearer in Ivan`s part of the lot, while he will meet in the possible quarter-finals with the first player in the world Roger Federer.

-Roger and Rafael dominate and it is up to the rest of the players to knock them down. This way, before the tournament, it is most likely that the two of them will meet again in the finals, because they were the ones to come to the final match on clay on past four occasions.

Ljubo looked back on their encounter in a historic match on a court with different surfaces.

-This is an excellent thing for the promotion of tennis. We have to start using such tricks to attract people and it will help us quite a great deal.

All tennis lovers will watch Rafael Nadal with special attention, who has 72 victories in a row on clay, and his opponent and world`s first player Federer is full of praise.

-Nadal has fantastic game on clay. Excellent physical predispositions and his spin give everyone great problems. He is hard to break through with serves because he returns greatly.

Danger for them in the lot, apart from Ivan, will surely be young Serbian player Novak Djokovic, a colony of Spaniards with Juan Carlos Ferrer and Tommy Robredo at the helm, while Guillermo Canas certainly must be looked out for.

Source: http://www.javno.com/en/sports/clanak.php?id=41399

I♥PsY@Mus!c
05-06-2007, 06:00 AM
Thanks Eden! :D

This time I think he can beat Chucho as that player has faded.

RickDaStick
02-29-2008, 11:02 PM
From ESPN.com

Clear focus, judicious schedule part of Ljubicic's plan to resurrect career

Ivan Ljubicic finds himself in unfamiliar territory these days.

No stranger to the elite Masters Cup in recent seasons, Ljubicic -- who, like several of his younger peers, grew up in the former Yugoslavia and honed his tennis game elsewhere when war broke out -- sits at his lowest ranking in four years and may slide further if he doesn't go deep at this week's Zagreb Indoors, one of two top-tier events in the country he calls home, Croatia.

Less than 24 months after reaching a career-high ranking of No. 3, the bareheaded and huge-serving Ljubicic is down to 25th. He began the new season with a semifinal showing in Doha, was knocked out by improving Dutchman Robin Haase in the opening round of the Australian Open, claimed a challenger in South Africa, then lost in the first round at Rotterdam to Czech enigma Tomas Berdych.

"I'd like to come back to the top 10,'' said Ljubicic, who turns 29 in a few weeks. "Of course, when you're No. 3, 5, 6 in the world and you drop back to 20, it looks really weak. But I'm really looking forward to seeing how good I can be again. I'm full of motivation.''

Fit for most of his pro career, Ljubicic was hampered by health problems in the second half of 2007. A run-in with kidney stones meant he couldn't make his Davis Cup farewell against Great Britain on the hallowed turf at Wimbledon in September, with a knee problem also taking its toll.

Probably as a result, he went a mediocre 4-4 during the European indoor season, when he usually piles up wins -- and aces. Five of his eight career titles have come indoors, and no one registered more victories with the roof closed than Ljubicic in 2005 and 2006.

"I was also a bit tired at the end of the season because the last three or four seasons were all one after another without really any break, so I think it just came together at the end of last year,'' he said. "The last three or four seasons I was playing between 24-27 tournaments a year.''

He wasn't fatigued enough to take his usual extended vacation in the offseason, but he still plans to reduce his workload to between 19 and 21 tournaments in 2008.

"I'm trying to really focus on quality, not quantity,'' he said.

Ivan Ljubicic is at the juncture of his career where he needs to cut back on the number of events he plays in.
No longer representing Croatia in the Davis Cup -- he went a sizzling 11-1 three years ago to lead his young nation to a maiden title -- the emphasis is on the Olympics (he and Mario Ancic took bronze in doubles in Athens) and predictably, Grand Slams.

Despite some prolific years, Ljubicic has reached a solitary Slam semifinal (at the French Open, perhaps surprisingly, in 2006). He has advanced past the third round twice in 34 attempts. In Masters Series finals, he's 0-for-3.

Longtime coach Riccardo Piatti, always a picture of calm in the stands, says his pupil has some unfinished business. They teamed up in 1997.

"He's physically strong, and if he has good motivation, what I would expect is that he does well in one big tournament,'' said the Italian, adding that some subtle adjustments made to Ljubicic's Head racket would help matters. "We had some goals, to win a tournament, make the Masters, win the Davis Cup, and he won a medal at the Olympics. One goal was to play very well in a Grand Slam. He made one semi, but for me it's not enough.''

"I have some points to defend in [Masters Series tournaments] Indian Wells and Miami," Ljubicic said, "but after that, not really much -- so everything I'm going to do after that is a plus, no pressure at all."

Unsurprisingly, the serve numbers play a key role. He won 79 percent of points on his first delivery in both 2006 and 2007, putting him first and third on tour, respectively. Heading into Zagreb, the number stood at 75 percent, a small, perhaps significant difference. He was outside the top 100 in return games captured.

As Ljubicic pointed out when the stats were brought to his attention, the 2008 campaign is still in its infancy. However, Piatti acknowledged that Ljubicic needs to be more aggressive on return games. In a 6-4, 7-6 second-round win over 509th-ranked countryman Lovro Zovko on Wednesday, Ljubicic broke just once. He won 43 percent of points on Zovko's second serve, though he didn't drop a point on his own first serve in the entire second set.

"If you're talking about my serve, that's definitely the most important part of my game, and that has to work,'' said Ljubicic, who was beaten by Cypriot Marcos Baghdatis in last season's Zagreb final. "Many times it happened that when my serve was working, everything else just came together, and it was the other way around when I struggled with my serve.''

Despite the slight downturn, Ljubicic never thought of parting company with Piatti, who has worked with a slew of Italian players and newly crowned Australian Open champ Novak Djokovic. Piatti was Ljubicic's best man at his wedding four years ago and is noted for building strong relationships with his players. Russian pro Igor Kunitsyn even used to cook with Piatti's mom at her apartment.

"He knows me the best,'' Ljubicic said. "He knows a lot about my game. I feel it would be stupid to change the coach now and lose time to someone who has to learn about me and the way I like things, and the things I need on court. We have a real close relationship, not only tennis-wise.''

Eden
05-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Life on tour with Ivan Ljubicic

Saturday, May 23, 2009
By Benjamin Adler

http://www.rolandgarros.com/images/pics/large/b_Ljubicic_0524_1.jpg

Joining the ATP or WTA circuit is something akin to embarking on an endless world tour. Rolandgarros.com asked some of tennis’s major stars for an insight into their life as a perennial sporting backpacker. We begin our series of behind-the-scenes interviews with Croatian former world number 3 Ivan Ljubicic.

Which is the most relaxing city on tour?

Dubai. It’s a great place to go on holiday. It has a very relaxed atmosphere so it’s a real pleasure to play a tournament there. Another cool place is Umag in Croatia. The tournament is held in the summer, right next to the sea, and the matches start at 5pm, which gives you plenty of time to go to the beach and recharge your batteries.

Which cities have the worst traffic jams?

The big three: New York, London and Paris. If I had to pick one out of the three I’d say London because the streets are narrower.

In which city would you most like to buy a house?

New York and Paris. There’s nowhere in the world like Manhattan, and Paris has a certain charm that is unlike any other.

Name an amazing place you have never visited.

The Great Wall of China, the Maldives and Notre Dame in Paris.

Where are the best beaches?

In the Maldives and the Croatian islands in summer. There are 1085 Croatian islands in total, but only 60 are inhabited, the rest are all wild. If you have the chance to go there by boat, you’re totally alone: it’s incredible. I highly recommend taking a cruise around Croatia. It’s really wonderful.

Where is your favourite restaurant?

There’s a great Indian restaurant in Dubai, but I can’t remember the name. Otherwise I’d say Serafina in New York and the Nippon, again in New York. The owner loves tennis and always gives us special discounts so that loads of players go there [laughs]! He’s a really great guy and always comes to support me in the US Open.

What is the worst thing about travelling?

Packing, but the worst thing is airport security. It takes you an hour from the moment you arrive to actually board the plane. The USA is the worst. I hate it, especially when you have to do it two or three times a week.

Which is the friendliest country to visit?

Australia, by far. Australians are fantastic.

Who are your travelling companions?

My son is only seven months old, so he can’t really come with me. I try to take my family with me as much as possible, but my coach always travels with me and my fitness trainer comes 80% of the time too.

Tell us one thing you would change about the circuit.

The schedule, so that we waste less time flying. It would be better if we could play all the tournaments on each continent in one go.

Where can you find the most enthusiastic fans?

In Melbourne. There are lots of really enthusiastic supporters from many countries, including Croatia.

Where are the most knowledgeable spectators?

In Paris. Here, if you show negative feelings, like throwing your racquet down, the spectators whistle at you. I think they know more about tennis, so they can tell when something happens on the court.

Which country has the prettiest girls?

Croatia, Poland, Czech Republic and Serbia.

Which is the best organised tournament?

Melbourne. But it’s easier for them because the city is a lot smaller than the other Grand Slam cities, so the stadium is right in the city centre, giving it a great atmosphere.

Who is your best friend on the circuit?

Thomas Johansson. We live in the same building in Monte Carlo so we’re very close.

Who is the best umpire?

Mohamed Lahyani. You either love him or you hate him.

Source: http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/articles/2009-05-23/200905231243082004031.html

clandis
08-14-2009, 04:41 AM
Just saw Ivan watch Dinara Safina play in Cincinnati. He was chatting with her coach, and stayed the whole match.

Doomach777
08-15-2009, 09:46 AM
Just saw Ivan watch Dinara Safina play in Cincinnati. He was chatting with her coach, and stayed the whole match.

well, krajan is from CRO , so they probably know each other :)

--Aussie--
08-16-2009, 10:09 AM
well, krajan is from CRO , so they probably know each other :)

:lol: ivan actually suggested krajan 2 safina 2 years ago and thats how it all started.

Doomach777
08-17-2009, 12:04 PM
:lol: ivan actually suggested krajan 2 safina 2 years ago and thats how it all started.

heheheh Ive got no idea :D

Eden
05-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Ljubicic Turns A New Page

DEUCE
by James Buddell

http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/AEA6614F5FFF46D88851E6A7FF5E377C.ashx
After winning his first ATP World Tour Masters 1000 title, 31-year-old Ivan Ljubicic is focused on qualifying for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals.

Highly respected as a consummate professional on and off the court, Ivan Ljubicic’s run to the BNP Paribas Open in March was widely toasted as a triumph for veterans of the ATP World Tour. It also added a new chapter to an extraordinary life.

He appeared to have supped generously from the fountain of youth when, two days after his 31st birthday, the exquisitely talented Ivan Ljubicic became the oldest first-time winner of an ATP World Tour Masters 1000 title at Indian Wells.

Only 24 hours before his historic triumph, having dispatched Rafael Nadal with a performance of ingenuity and instinct, he had confessed that “it would mean the world to me [to win the title].”

After the final, when he beat Andy Roddick in two tie-break sets, he recounted with pride how over the course of his career he had reached a career-high No. 3 in the South African Airways ATP Rankings, how he’d captured a bronze medal with Mario Ancic at the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens and won 11 of 12 rubbers to lead Croatia to the 2005 Davis Cup.

Conquered in three previous ATP World Tour Masters 1000 finals, you then realised his triumph, of maturity and composure, would be something he would always remember and cherish. “It was fantastic to have that success at 31,” says Ljubicic, two months on, at his home in Monte-Carlo. “I really enjoyed the tournament from the first round to the final.”

Of course, it was a world away from the day he arrived at a tennis club in Moncalieri – a province of Turin, Italy – with holes in the soles of his shoes as a refuge, seeking comfort and a normal life away from the war zone, control points, guns and barbed wire he was forced to leave in May 1992.

Italian officials opened the door for promising Croatian players and it was as a 13 year old that his education as a tennis player and as a person blossomed. It was also at Moncalieri that he met Riccardo Piatti, who, at the time, was training Omar Camporese, Cristiano Caratti and Renzo Furlan.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEUCE-Tennis/DEUCE-May-2010/~/media/DFE6B46DD4484829A89D38751EC11351.ashx?w=180&h=250&as=1

“Because of my circumstances at that stage I was spending 5-6 hours per day on court, just trying to improve and learning from watching those players train,” says Ljubicic. “I wasn’t even thinking of working with him.”

Piatti recalls, “Ivan was in a group of younger kids and I saw him playing a couple of times. He was playing in the team matches, always winning his singles and doubles. At the time I couldn’t follow him, but I saw him again in Australia when he was 17 years old and he was very good.”

Under Piatti’s guidance, Ljubicic gained residency in Monaco aged 18 and started to take control of his life, both economically and personally.

“Riccardo’s way of working has always been about getting you into a position to make decisions for yourself, as a person and professionally in your tennis career,” admits Ljubicic, who has been coached by Piatti since 1997. “He has done it with many other players down the years.”

Piatti confirms, “I had the chance to be very close to him, so I could help him and advise him, but he always made decisions by himself.

“I say so because now I see young players that have too many people around them that want to solve all their problems and by doing so the kids don’t know how to decide off the court. It then becomes difficult to do it inside the court.”

Ljubicic has never had a big entourage. He came up as part of a talented generation of Croatian players that included Ivica Ancic, Ivo Karlovic and Zeljko Krajan, and has never let his success go to his head.

“He is a very trustable, very mature man, and he knows how to make decisions outside the tennis court,” says Piatti. “That’s why it’s easy for him to make decisions on the tennis court. The thing I like about him is that, since he has won a lot and reached a great ranking, a lot of people have gotten to know him and respect him first as a person and then as a player.”

Mario Ancic, a long-time friend who first met Ljubicic aged 12, admits the influence Ljubicic has had on him.

“Ivan has an unbelievable sense of humour and is somebody who has always been so professional,” says the former Wimbledon semi-finalist. “He has always tried to learn and figure out how to improve new aspects of his game. It has rubbed off on me.”

Marin Cilic, the current Croatian No. 1, has also been inspired.

“He was very helpful, always trying to advise me in right way [when I started my career],” said Cilic, who first got invited by Ljubicic to join Croatia's Davis Cup team in 2006. “And most important of all, his work ethic, dedication to tennis and ability to win were things I saw from him straight away. I was happy that I could’ve learned such lessons from such a great person.”

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEUCE-Tennis/DEUCE-May-2010/~/media/0480B99BA3E9446FAD7CB557ED1CC290.ashx?w=250&h=180&as=1

A family man, funny, with an ironic sense of humour, and very smart, he cherishes the time he spends with his wife, Aida, and their 18-month-old son, Leonardo.

“He is a very quiet person and he thinks a lot,” confirms Piatti. “He never stops thinking and he lives goal-by-goal and he keeps giving himself goals to reach. He is good-hearted and generous and he often takes care of others, because he remembers where he came from.”

Ancic adds, “He is a simple guy and someone well away from ‘Ivan the Terrible’, the nickname press gave him early on in his career.”

“You can talk with him about any subject,” says Cilic, “he knows many different things, and it’s never boring with him.”

Away from the court, Ljubicic also devotes his time as an Ambassador for Special Olympics in Monaco, for which he received the Arthur Ashe Humanitarian Of The Year Award in 2007, and supports children’s charities in Croatia.

“I help children in Croatia to overcome injuries and gain treatment for their conditions. I’d like to start my own foundation but I don’t have a lot of time to do so right now.”

For seven years from 2002 he served on the ATP Player Council, was elected its Vice President from 2004-2006 and President from 2006-2008, before becoming the first active player to serve on the ATP Board – as its European player representative – in August 2008.

His tenure on the ATP Board, during a period of major changes, was short-lived, yet Ljubicic admits, “My political years at the ATP were beneficial and I learnt a lot. We achieved a lot, but it would be great to make this global sport even bigger.

“It would be good to be involved again at the end of my career, but when I took the difficult decision to retire from Davis Cup duties [at the end of 2007] and in my role on the ATP Board [in January 2009] it was correct.

“I would have loved to do everything I was doing, but I have a family and I need to prioritise at this stage of my career.”

Once he had chosen to leave the boardroom behind and concentrate on tennis again, Ljubicic was revived.

He broke back into the Top 30 of the South African Airways ATP Rankings in October 2009. His serve remains one of the most fluid on the tour and it was pinpoint accurate during his run in Indian Wells, which enabled him to identify a new goal to work towards.

“I want to stay healthy and try to qualify for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals in London this year,” says Ljubicic, who qualified for the prestigious finale at Shanghai in 2005 and 2006. “I realise I’ll be one of the last to qualify in the final week of the year, but for me to pick up points and play as many matches as I can is really important to me.”

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEUCE-Tennis/DEUCE-May-2010/~/media/C96C761A17194815AEC07214D406E3D5.ashx?w=250&h=180&as=1

Contesting his 13th season as a pro, Ljubicic confesses, “My match preparation hasn’t changed at all over the years, but the way I train and get fit for each season or different surfaces has.

“In your early 20s you have to play a lot to gain consistency and improve. But now I play maybe one hour or less per day and I spend 5-6 hours working on my fitness and staying in shape. At 30 or 31, you have to work much harder.”

Cilic, who believes a Top 15 ranking is “where Ljubicic belongs”, sincerely hopes “that he is going to be injury-free the rest of his career”.

Piatti, his long-time confidant and coach, says Ljubicic’s motivation has to remain very high in order to continue to play the sport, but “outside the court he also has to work a lot physically, to take time to recover, to eat well and to rest”.

Ancic believes, “He still has a good chance to win every match he plays and he remains a threat on every surface and at the Grand Slams. He is still playing well and beating top players, so he has no reason to be questioned about retirement yet. He’s too good to be asked that.”

Source: http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEUCE-Tennis/DEUCE-May-2010/Ivan-Ljubicic.aspx

nalbyfan
05-21-2010, 12:56 PM
He will face Lu on RG first round

B.z.A.
05-21-2010, 03:13 PM
He will face Lu on RG first round

Possible 4th rnd against nadal :s

Thanks for Interview Eden! :wavey:

croat123
05-21-2010, 04:46 PM
the draw isn't bad a all...4th round would be a great result

B.z.A.
05-21-2010, 05:54 PM
the draw isn't bad a all...4th round would be a great result

Would be, but worst opponent he could get was nadal.

croat123
05-21-2010, 09:08 PM
he's only defending the first round, so the fourth round would put him close to the top10

B.z.A.
05-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Ljubo is not 100% fit, but he said that there is no comeback now.

croat123
05-23-2010, 10:41 PM
no tv court tomorrow :mad: i was hoping so see how he is moving

B.z.A.
05-24-2010, 05:36 AM
no tv court tomorrow :mad: i was hoping so see how he is moving

me too.
Too bad, but I think that there are actually cameras on every court ( casue court no. 7 have cameras and so... ) so there is a hope that some livestream link will be there. But also, too bad he wont be on HRT2 :(

RickDaStick
05-24-2010, 06:23 PM
there is a livestream for the match.... score right now is 76 *45

B.z.A.
05-24-2010, 07:45 PM
there is a livestream for the match.... score right now is 76 *45

I noticed it this morning ;)
He was on eurosport ;)

--Aussie--
05-26-2010, 06:27 PM
he said he still feels the pain. one day he feels it and other not etc.
this injury could be a problem for a hole year. :(
good luck against mardy

B.z.A.
05-26-2010, 09:34 PM
he said he still feels the pain. one day he feels it and other not etc.
this injury could be a problem for a hole year. :(
good luck against mardy

Just wanted to post it!
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=hr&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jutarnji.hr%2Fljubicic--ovakav-cu-tesko-pobijediti-fisha%2F794422%2F&sl=hr&tl=en&swap=1

:sad::sad::sad:

croat123
05-27-2010, 12:41 AM
It's going to be very tough. I'm kind of hoping he really limits his schedule after Wimbledon so he can try to recover. No powder puff serves tomorrow like vs. Lu

RickDaStick
05-27-2010, 01:29 AM
It seems like the injury cannot get worse by playing and it is only the pain that is the problem. I think the best thing to do is pull out of the Wimbledon warm up and only play Wimbledon. After that i believe he is only scheduled for Umag and Cincy before the US OPEN. Not playing Umag might be a good idea as it would give him a lot of rest and maybe speed up the recovery process.

B.z.A.
05-27-2010, 08:49 AM
It seems like the injury cannot get worse by playing and it is only the pain that is the problem. I think the best thing to do is pull out of the Wimbledon warm up and only play Wimbledon. After that i believe he is only scheduled for Umag and Cincy before the US OPEN. Not playing Umag might be a good idea as it would give him a lot of rest and maybe speed up the recovery process.

True!
But who knows, maybe he feels ok now, but tomorrow will be worse.
But cmon legendo, u can do this!

B.z.A.
05-27-2010, 08:13 PM
Play suspended due the rain.
Ljubo won 1st set 6-2
had 13 bps in 2nd set, converted only one, had 4 or 5 set points, but fish got it 7-6 in tie brake :(

croat123
05-28-2010, 12:14 AM
yeah, one set point was on his serve too and he got the first serve in :(
oh well, he tends to do well when matches are suspended so good luck tomorrow!

B.z.A.
05-28-2010, 10:39 PM
Im dying to see that dance!

B.z.A.
05-29-2010, 12:08 AM
Ivan Ljubicic: "I don't feel like a veteran"
http://www.france24.com/en/20100528-tennis-french-open-veteran-ivan-ljubicic-interview

B.z.A.
05-29-2010, 12:45 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/2q03xci.gif

--Aussie--
05-29-2010, 02:28 PM
:inlove: :bounce:

croat123
05-29-2010, 03:41 PM
poor guy. can't believe he's still playing, he can't even serve

B.z.A.
05-29-2010, 04:20 PM
poor guy. can't believe he's still playing, he can't even serve

:sad:

Im not sure if he will ever again be fit to play...

I♥PsY@Mus!c
05-31-2010, 05:43 PM
Sigh...
Ivan is always injured in these years. :bigcry:
Love his dance though! :hearts: Just hope he can be fit.A big hope. :)

nalbyfan
06-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Will Ivan play Hertogenbosch ???

B.z.A.
06-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Will Ivan play Hertogenbosch ???

Yes!

croat123
06-03-2010, 09:23 PM
yeah, i think he is fine :D
gotta fight for the top16 seeding at wimbledon...i think this could finally be his year. serve & volley ftw

RickDaStick
06-04-2010, 02:16 AM
This is a total guess since i havent looked at any grass court rankings but i think Ivan will struggle to get a top 16 seed based on the formula Wimbledon uses to seed the top 32.

B.z.A.
06-04-2010, 05:51 PM
yeah, i think he is fine :D
gotta fight for the top16 seeding at wimbledon...i think this could finally be his year. serve & volley ftw

s&v <3
I dont know why he isnt good on grass, he have brilliant proportions to be good grass player!

RickDaStick
06-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Ivan will play Davis Cup against Serbia!

B.z.A.
06-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Davis Cup Ivan is back :D