For the Aussies... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

For the Aussies...

Auscon
08-28-2005, 11:14 AM
Are we not getting the USO on freetoair tv??!!!!

I hadnt read or heard anything as to us not having it, so just assumed Channel 9 would have coverage as always...but I got home today, checked out the new tv guide to see what times coverage was on, and I couldnt find anything :sad: :sad:

bad gambler
08-28-2005, 11:15 AM
unfortunately nothing on free to air

Curls
08-28-2005, 11:16 AM
bloody big f**king :ras: to Aussie FTA TV ...

Auscon
08-28-2005, 11:21 AM
unfortunately nothing on free to air

unbelievable.....

I had my whole fkn fortnight planned out and now these pricks don't get coverage for the first time in how long??

I can't remember the USO not being on tv

Sure, I can understand them not showing RG, its clay and we havent had any good clay players in many, many years, but the USO? It's our best hunting ground....

Auscon
08-28-2005, 11:27 AM
I guess I didnt need to check the tv guide...

Shouldve been tipped off that there was no coverage when I checked out ninemsn.com when I got home, saw one of the sports headlines "Newk writes off Hewitt"

~EMiLiTA~
08-28-2005, 12:38 PM
http://www.mainzelahr.de/smile/boese/bur2.gif please don't remind me...i will start to throw things http://www.mainzelahr.de/smile/boese/zeter01.gif

Turkeyballs Paco
08-28-2005, 08:42 PM
horrible. :hug:

flip_fan
08-28-2005, 10:35 PM
they are only showing from quarter finals on-wards i think... what a stupid decision from channel nine. especially if mark manages to get to 4th rd (...anything is possible!) and play hewitt, they would be kicking themselves!

1sun
08-28-2005, 10:43 PM
theres a live stream which will allow you to watch like 10 hours aday with decent quality, check the stream threads

Experimentee
08-29-2005, 04:08 AM
Yeah this really sucks. I cant remember when they didnt have free to air coverage of this either. They are gradually cutting down free to air tennis coverage. I remember when they even had some matches of TMS events on the ABC, and a weekly ATP show, as well as coverage of all 4 Grand Slams. They even had some junior events on the ABC. I bet in 5 years there will be no tennis on tv, and everyone will have to get Foxtel :mad:

Smankyou
08-29-2005, 04:16 AM
This can't be happening. Not again. Mummy, make Foxtel go away.

Lisbeth
08-29-2005, 04:22 AM
This is ridiculous :rolleyes:

I can't think for the moment how it could be enforced but there should be a rule that if a channel wants to show AO and Wimbledon (which seem to be perceived to be ratings spinners) it should have to do at least a half-arsed job of showing RG, USO and the Masters Cup as well.

Lisbeth
08-29-2005, 04:24 AM
The bigger problem is not people having to get foxtel but people just not watching tennis!

I actually have foxtel (and a roster of people who apparently are coming to watch it!) but it's still stupid ;)

kfh_9118
08-29-2005, 07:29 AM
they are only showing from quarter finals on-wards i think... what a stupid decision from channel nine. especially if mark manages to get to 4th rd (...anything is possible!) and play hewitt, they would be kicking themselves!

I hope Channel 9 will at least show from QF onwards. It's better than nothing at all, like the FO.

:fiery:
I will get Foxtel next year :fiery:

kfh_9118
08-29-2005, 07:30 AM
theres a live stream which will allow you to watch like 10 hours aday with decent quality, check the stream threads

Where can we find the stream threads?

its.like.that
08-29-2005, 07:33 AM
Yet another wonderful contribution made to the world by the US of A - Foxtel.

:explode:

Ferrero Forever
08-29-2005, 09:36 AM
I HATE FOXTEL-but at least we're getting something. We need 4th round matches though, JC VS Federer!

pravda
08-29-2005, 11:04 AM
Are you sure Aussies will get QF coverage onwards? I wouldn't hold my breath, they'll probably only show Hewitt's matches if he gets that far :rolleyes:

bad gambler
08-29-2005, 12:14 PM
I actually have foxtel (and a roster of people who apparently are coming to watch it!) but it's still stupid ;)

then don't complain :p

Angle Queen
08-29-2005, 01:35 PM
:sad:

That sucks.

:hug: Sorry mates. Does this mean you'll be hanging out in OOP?

bad gambler
08-29-2005, 01:37 PM
:sad:

That sucks.

:hug: Sorry mates. Does this mean you'll be hanging out in OOP?

i got cable :smoke:

Action Jackson
08-29-2005, 01:46 PM
Well it looks KP doesn't care about showing the tennis anymore, too bad SBS doesn't get the rights for it, that could be an option for the future.

Then again personally I don't like the US Open and will see more than enough of it on Day 1, but it should be available on free to air TV, it's not like they don't do well in this event.

Angle Queen
08-29-2005, 01:49 PM
i got cable :smoke:I know you do. ;) But Auscon and I usually have a blast in OOP when Lleyton is playing (provided he doesn't have coverage and the time differences aren't horrible).

Kat!
08-29-2005, 01:56 PM
Well it looks KP doesn't care about showing the tennis anymore, too bad SBS doesn't get the rights for it, that could be an option for the future.

Then again personally I don't like the US Open and will see more than enough of it on Day 1, but it should be available on free to air TV, it's not like they don't do well in this event.

Come to think of it - (since someone mentioned ABC used to show quite a lot of tennis as well .... I vaguely remember) it seems the Australian government is showing a decreasing interest in tennis, afterall the gov't provides the funding for ABC & SBS....!

I could rant about the lack of football (soccer) on SBS too... but I guess this is the wrong place!

Guess I can get some good nights' rests during USO.... considering the hours are all wacked anyway. Coverage on fox starts at 1am.

Action Jackson
08-29-2005, 02:02 PM
Come to think of it - (since someone mentioned ABC used to show quite a lot of tennis as well .... I vaguely remember) it seems the Australian government is showing a decreasing interest in tennis, afterall the gov't provides the funding for ABC & SBS....!

Johnny Coward only likes the cricket and those 2 networks have always had funding cuts.

The main issue is how much the broadcasting rights cost and SBS have made a killing cause of the cricket and have the football World Cup, but that's another issue.

It starts at 1am, but it's raining and they'll probably keep showing crappy matches.

Kat!
08-29-2005, 02:14 PM
Johnny Coward only likes the cricket and those 2 networks have always had funding cuts.

:tape: :smash:

The main issue is how much the broadcasting rights cost and SBS have made a killing cause of the cricket and have the football World Cup, but that's another issue.

It starts at 1am, but it's raining and they'll probably keep showing crappy matches.

I'm secretly hoping it's not true, but I remember hearing the 2006 World Cup will be SBS's last one. It really sucked not having Euro last year :mad:

bad gambler
08-29-2005, 02:15 PM
:tape: :smash:

I'm secretly hoping it's not true, but I remember hearing the 2006 World Cup will be SBS's last one. It really sucked not having Euro last year :mad:

forget the world and european competitions, support the A-League!!!

Kat!
08-29-2005, 02:23 PM
forget the world and european competitions, support the A-League!!!

er..... I saw an ad today for the A-league today.........saying that it'll be on foxtel.... :rolleyes: yes I can get out of the house and watch it live at the stadium but that's besides the point.