Skyward
08-27-2005, 11:12 PM
http://www.tennislifemagazine.com/ed2005/june05/june05-offcourt.html

federer express
08-27-2005, 11:14 PM
pleasure

jole
08-27-2005, 11:20 PM
I think most of the people who go crazy with fist pumping are doing it as a natural reaction, it is just part of their personality and game. At this point in their career it is like second nature to them, and they somewhat rely on the energy and reaffirmation it provides for themselves. That said there are obviously some people who go wild and it really isn't all that genuine.

I myself will occasionally clench my fist if I win a key point, hit a superb shot, or something like that, but I really think people make themselves look quite retarded if they go overboard with the fist pumping or come on's. I think most people who do this are doing it not for the purpose of annoying people or as a ploy, it just kind of happens. Still though, I bet lots of people would be really suprised if they watched themselves playing and saw and heard the way they act after points.

delsa
08-27-2005, 11:40 PM
It depends on how it's done and in which context...

Irish
08-27-2005, 11:54 PM
It depends on how it's done and in which context...

I totally agree :D

Pheobo
08-27-2005, 11:55 PM
I they're running out of things to write about :rolleyes:

thesupreme
07-04-2007, 09:20 AM
I loved Nadals over the top first pump after that half volley against Soderling, i bet that f*cked him off no end in what is already an ill tempered match... :)

VolandriFan
07-04-2007, 09:25 AM
Soderling was using the fist pump excessively yesterday. There is a line somewhere.

laure xxx
07-04-2007, 09:52 AM
As a kid playing competitive tennis, that's what you do. It just becomes engrained in you, there's nothing wrong with that form of celebration. Unnecessary grunting is what I have a problem with.

bokehlicious
07-04-2007, 10:03 AM
A ploy. A disgrace to the sport.

Apemant
07-04-2007, 10:28 AM
Soderling was using the fist pump excessively yesterday. There is a line somewhere.

The problem with drawing lines 'somewhere' is that different people have very different ideas where exactly the line should be drawn.

Sunset of Age
07-04-2007, 10:29 AM
I have no problem with it at all, unless it's being done on an opponent's UE. THAT is absolutely NOT DONE.

laure xxx
07-04-2007, 10:33 AM
I have no problem with it at all, unless it's being done on an opponent's UE. THAT is absolutely NOT DONE.

Unless it is an extremely critical point and it is done in a very subtle fashion. You have got to have fire and passion in the game to make up for players who may have lack of game.

Sunset of Age
07-04-2007, 10:39 AM
Unless it is an extremely critical point and it is done in a very subtle fashion. You have got to have fire and passion in the game to make up for players who may have lack of game.

Yes indeed. There are situations when it's acceptable - setpoints, breaks - I don't think it's classy but I can surely understand why players do so on such moments.

tennis2tennis
07-04-2007, 10:39 AM
if u just won a set or played an amazing point fair enough, but if you do it after a double fault on a lucky net call than its pathetic

World Beater
07-04-2007, 12:45 PM
both.

Neely
07-04-2007, 12:58 PM
Also I think for many it will always depend also on the factor which player is doing it. Because that's how people are and perceive it because especially the fans and constant followers of the game make up their mind about players at some time.

Byrd
07-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Ploy, only idiots do it i.e Nadal and Roddick

Neely
07-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Ploy, only idiots do it i.e Nadal and Roddick
Do you further differentiate by how often a player does it, or do you say everybody who does it, no matter if once or 50 times, is an idiot?

Kolya
07-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Depends on the timing.

Byrd
07-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Do you further differentiate by how often a player does it, or do you say everybody who does it, no matter if once or 50 times, is an idiot?

The differentiation between them and other players is how they do it, there the only players that actually fist-pump other players errors in their faces.

R.Federer
07-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Sometimes you need to do it to pump yourself up.
I have seen people at 2-6 0-3 win a game after a long drought and fist pump in a way which is neither pleasure, and certainly no ploy at that point. Just to encourage themselves.

Pfloyd
07-04-2007, 03:24 PM
A ploy. A disgrace to the sport.

Yeah, your so right. It's better to win and look like a "profesional" and then to wank off to the victory afterwards :rolleyes:

Fist pumps MUST be a sign of pissing other people off, because, there is NO WAY that players are geniunly happy and want to celebrate it out lout and to the crowd. Because, of course, all players have the same attitude and up-bringings...

Right on :yeah:

The_Nadal_effect
07-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Fist-pumping can be both delightful and tasteless, all depending on when an athlete does it, and whether or not the pump is a celebration of his effort, pat on his own back, or a weapon in his gamesmanship!

In Nadal's case, it seems to me that his game is too physical and a toned-down celebration might just not serve as the 'cherry on top of a pie' as aptly as an aggressive full-bodied motion (or even accompanied with a jubiliant leap in the air like the famous leap at FO 2005).

But such aggression somehow suits Nadal, because he plays with such spirit, with his life on the line.
Why only Nadal, I've seen Radek Stepanek giving a similar fist pump on the last game against Gonzo (Rd 1) at FO this year. He looked beautiful too...because it came from his innards!

Fed doesn't have a heavy fist pump every time because he simply doesn't need to fight for every point. What others struggle for come rather easily to him. Yet, in the ones that matter to him, we do see him scream like a maniac (Remember Shanghai 2006 against Nadal, it meant so much to him to win the match)!

On another note, I've seen Nadal probably use fist-pumps as gamesmanship too, but that's a much less in comparision.