What ever happened to Alex Corretja? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What ever happened to Alex Corretja?

Fran16
08-27-2005, 10:33 PM
no news in 2005

liptea
08-27-2005, 11:37 PM
HE LOST TO CARLOS MOYA IN A FRENCH OPEN FINAL!!!!!!

Sjengster
08-28-2005, 01:17 AM
A few things happened to him since then as well, principally: the Singles Championship title in Hanover, the no. 2 ranking, a 2nd RG final against Kuerten which he also lost, and a slide down the rankings to about 250 or so.

SwissMister1
08-28-2005, 01:18 AM
Didn't he just have another kid?

Action Jackson
08-28-2005, 06:02 AM
Yes and now he is playing league tennis in Switzerland and sadly his time is over.

pravda
08-28-2005, 06:17 AM
Yes and now he is playing league tennis in Switzerland and sadly his time is over.

your avatar is amazing :eek:
its hard not to keep looking

liptea
08-28-2005, 07:04 AM
A few things happened to him since then as well, principally: the Singles Championship title in Hanover, the no. 2 ranking, a 2nd RG final against Kuerten which he also lost, and a slide down the rankings to about 250 or so.

I know. I just never lose a chance to trumpet that French Open final. It was Moya's glory moment.

CooCooCachoo
08-28-2005, 08:15 AM
This year he has been struggling to win matches on Challenger level, so it's safe to conclude that we won't see him reaching another GS final.

Dirk
08-28-2005, 08:51 AM
He had a very nice career. He just got old. He is in his 30s now I think. He just is having the normal slide for tennis players. I saw him play Robby live in Miami. He was very fun to watch.

enqvistfan
08-28-2005, 09:46 AM
Alex is a player who had a great career, the problem is that his game was limited comparing to the other players, he didn't involve his game. Unfortunately, many players of his generation have the same problems and now, are fighting to come back.
He's 30 but Agassi is 35 and he's still on top, so Alex is not too old to come back. But, I think that with his game, it's very difficult to come back for him.

Hope that when he'll retire officially, we'll know it. He'll remain a great personnality of mens' tennis. Good luck for the future Alex !

adee-gee
08-28-2005, 06:00 PM
He's 30 but Agassi is 35 and he's still on top, so Alex is not too old to come back. But, I think that with his game, it's very difficult to come back for him.

To be honest, I thought he was a lot older than 30, I just had a look apparently he's 31. I actually thought he was about 33 or 34, he seems to have been around forever. I just don't think his game stands up well against the modern generation. He's had injuries and his movement isn't what it used to be, he can't get to balls he used to get to with ease, and there's not enough weapons in his armoury to trouble many good players anymore. Quite sad, he was always quite a nice player to watch when he was on his game.

Action Jackson
08-28-2005, 06:05 PM
To be honest, I thought he was a lot older than 30, I just had a look apparently he's 31. I actually thought he was about 33 or 34, he seems to have been around forever. I just don't think his game stands up well against the modern generation. He's had injuries and his movement isn't what it used to be, he can't get to balls he used to get to with ease, and there's not enough weapons in his armoury to trouble many good players anymore. Quite sad, he was always quite a nice player to watch when he was on his game.

Actually the fitness isn't a problem with him or a loss of speed. The thing is that all players decline at some point, it's just when they were higher in a lot of cases, it's quicker and it's a generation thing for him and when he came in as it was for Edberg, as it was for Wilander, as it was for Muster for all different reasons.

He misses too many 1st serves and makes too many errors, whereas that was his greatest strength, plus his forehand got worse as well.

NYCtennisfan
08-28-2005, 08:46 PM
He got about as much out of his talent that you could possibly ask of anyone.