Are qualifiers randomly put into the main draw too? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Are qualifiers randomly put into the main draw too?

darnyelb
08-27-2005, 07:10 AM
And is it done publicly to avoid conspiracy theories?

I was curious because I noticed the much talked about Donald Young has drawn one of the lowest-ranked qualifiers in the first round, Giorgio Galimberti (ITA, 236). I think this 28-year old might just be the first scalping of the 16-year old's career.

Thanks to anyone who answers...

Chrisie
08-27-2005, 07:52 AM
I think so, a qualifier can draw a qualifier, or a wild carder too, for that matter. I don't think there is any conspiracy in it, unless you really believe it. If so, you'll probably believe Jesus was married and had a child, or Princess Diana was killed by the British MI5. Some people do.

Ferrero Forever
08-27-2005, 08:11 AM
I seem to think that it's really unfair if a qualifier gets to play another qualifier in the first round. I think that if they want to get far in a tournament they should have to prove themselves against opponents in the main draw, not qualifiers. I think that they should make it so that the possible qualifier-qualifier draw does not happen.

Rex
08-27-2005, 01:14 PM
true juanqui lover

kundalini
08-27-2005, 02:15 PM
I wouldn't bet on Donald winning this match either.

He managed to get to a tiebreak against a woefully out of form Jan-Michael Gambill but has yet to win a set on the ATP tour.

Trying to beat a guy who has just won 3 rounds of qualifying is going to be a lot harder than facing JMG.

Grinder
08-27-2005, 04:30 PM
Galimberti is a solid player, I remember him beating Corretja in Rome a couple years ago. Galimberti and Bracciali are a good doubles team as well, I expect him to beat Young handily.

zethand
08-27-2005, 05:14 PM
the entire draw is fixed

Pea
08-27-2005, 05:55 PM
I know! The only wildcard in Roger's half is Philippoussis!:eek: Cos he's not American, I bet!::eek:

Chloe le Bopper
08-27-2005, 09:29 PM
Qualifiers are seriously underrated.

njnetswill
08-27-2005, 10:14 PM
qualifiers can actually go into a match as the favorite, because they have already gotten, and won, a few matches, while other players are still trying to find a rhythm.