Day 1 report [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Day 1 report

Schetti
07-28-2002, 12:05 AM
Unfortunately I didn't get to the tournament today until after 12 as the public transport is a real pain because of World Youth Day, a tip for anyone going tomorrow, go via Finch and then you should miss the worst of it.

When I first got there I ventured to the practice courts outside of the stadium complex and there were MANY top stars practicing.

I first saw Safin and Kafelnikov practice together, both were only in shorts:drool: and they seemed to get on really well and they spoke to each other in English:confused:

There are 4 practice courts there, on the one next door to it I couldn't figure out who was playing as I don't follow the ATP as much as I used to but he seemed to be very talented and he was practicing all kinds of shots.

Next door Pete Sampras was with Wayne Ferreria, I didn't watch too much of that but Sampras does look a lot slower now.

Then Greg:drool: was on the next court.

After I got into the stadium complex (which was about 1.10) I saw that they were going to do the main draw live last year, and if you are one below 48th in the draw you get a chance to pick a name at random out of the pot and also win a prize.

I was really lucky and I was #39 in the queue and I drew out Nicolas Kiefer and then I won my prize and it was a head tennis raquet:) I was so happy and here comes the best part Thomas Enqvist:drool: presented the prize to me, I had this weird smile on my face and I didn't know what to say to him, I just said thanks and shook his hand, and that really made my day after all the trouble of getting there.

Then there was a hockey match between some stars of the ATP and NFL, there was Enqvist again, Roger Federer and Thomas Johansson, it was pretty good but I notcied that Johansson had a knee brace on but he seemed to be moving very well, at the draw they said that Magnus Norman would be playing but he was nowhere to be seen.

Afterwards I went to centre court and Federer was practicing with Fabrice Santoro, Federer throughout the practice seemed to be upset and he wasn't playing particularly well but he stayed around quite a bit after his practice session ended and signed LOTS of autographs, and he also had a hockey top (I think) with F-E-D-E-R-E-R on the back.

Next up on the Centre court was Richard Krajicek and Younes El Aynaoui (sp) they were on there for about 1 hour and they started off slowly but were playing points near the end, Krajicek was moving VERY well and I think he will do well.

I left after the practice session but I got James Blake's autograph who was very nice, and what has been written about him his very true, he is defintely one of the nicest players.

Static
07-28-2002, 12:33 AM
Wow Schetti your day seemed to be a lot more exciting than mine, hope you had fun :D

lin
07-28-2002, 01:07 AM
It seems you had fun today,Schetti :D .

thanks for report :)

Dissident
07-28-2002, 02:33 AM
Yeah, great read! Keep ´em coming. Thanks. :)
And have fun if you´re going again. :D

Hyde'
07-28-2002, 05:36 AM
Congratulation in winning the prize :)

jirobkk
07-28-2002, 08:23 AM
Hello Schetti , :hearts:

Thanks for a lovely report.

It would be great if you could ( if you meet him ) tell Paradorn Srichaphan that " Jiro from Bangkok wish him all the best of luck ".

It would be kind of you, please. :hearts: :hearts:

Bubble
07-28-2002, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the report! Keep it coming! :)

Safin and Kafelnikov practice together, both were only in shorts :D :drool: :D

Layla
07-28-2002, 03:57 PM
Thanks for your fun report. Sounds like you had a blast! :D

Chloe le Bopper
07-28-2002, 03:58 PM
Any advice for someone coming up tuesday?

Nina
07-29-2002, 01:19 PM
I first saw Safin and Kafelnikov practice together, both were only in shorts and they seemed to get on really well and they spoke to each other in English

:confused: how strange