Murray clinches place in US Open!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Murray clinches place in US Open!!!

In_Disguise
08-26-2005, 10:29 PM
From BBC Sport, today:

British number three Andy Murray sealed his place in the first round proper of the US Open with a straight-sets win over Ecuador's Giovanni Lapentti.
Murray blitzed Lapentti from the start to take the opening set 6-0.

But Murray's shoulder troubled him in the second set and he battle through the pain as it went to a tie-break.

Murray clinched the crucial mini-break to go 6-4 up in the breaker and completed his victory at the second attempt to win 6-0 7-6 (7-5).

It was Murray's third victory in qualifying after earlier wins over Paolo Lorenzi and Dudi Sela, and he now takes his place in the first round alongside fellow Britons Tim Henman and Greg Rusedski.

king416
08-26-2005, 10:31 PM
Nice one Andy, if his draw is favourable he can go quite far, he's a solid player, but he might struggle with long matches as his fitness is quite low.

BaselineSmash
08-26-2005, 10:34 PM
Very solid run through the qualifying tournament. Now it's a question of which of his potential opponents would he rather face?

O. Rochus
Spadea
Ferrero
Gonzalez
Kevin Kim
Nalbandian
Pavel
Mathieu
Puerta
Haas

Fee
08-26-2005, 10:34 PM
I will FALL OVER if he gets the spot against Donald Young (he drew a qualifier didn't he).

adee-gee
08-26-2005, 10:35 PM
I will FALL OVER if he gets the spot against Donald Young (he drew a qualifier didn't he).

Yeah he did.

Good job Andy, all 3 matches in straight sets. All this after having a car crash when he arrived in NY!

Raquel
08-26-2005, 10:46 PM
Andy did well to get through in straight sets all the way through and hopefully he can win a round or 2 in the main draw. Depends on the draw but he won't fear anyone. I'd like him to get Young. Could be interesting :devil:

Robxon
08-26-2005, 10:54 PM
He needs to draw someone in the half of the draw that plays Tuesday/Wednesday as he injured his shoulder again tonight.

What about drawing Scoville with the two Andy's meeting in the second round?

Robxon
08-26-2005, 10:56 PM
What about Donald or Scoville?

Pea
08-26-2005, 10:58 PM
He's the next Federer. :scared:

mitalidas
08-26-2005, 11:03 PM
It would be ironic if his troubled shoulder now prevented him from playing just as he got into the main draw
He's really proved himself-- also that he deserved a WC over so many others-- anyhow, here's wishing him the best

Scotso
08-26-2005, 11:31 PM
Would people cute it out with the WC stuff? He didn't do anything to "deserve" it, really. He's a British player.

Andrew :D good job and good luck in the MD.

flyingmachine
08-26-2005, 11:37 PM
:woohoo:

SaFed2005
08-26-2005, 11:48 PM
I went to the qualifiers today to watch him play. I love his forehands on the run. But omg his drop shots were simply terrible. I dont think he even got one dropshot over the entire matchyet he kept trying to hit drop shots. Other than that he seems like a solid player. I even got the chance to take a picture with him :) Also saw a few other players like Malisse, Venus, Paradorn etc. at the practice courts. The Clement match was simply awesome. Especially the third set... It was so intense.

kundalini
08-27-2005, 12:44 AM
Andy plays Pavel

Lisbeth
08-27-2005, 01:07 AM
Well done and good luck!

kundalini
08-27-2005, 01:46 AM
Andy's section of the draw:

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/draws/ms/r1s1.html

onewoman74
08-27-2005, 02:18 AM
I saw that match today...he was a bit arugmentative w/ the umpire in the second set...nothing major -some misunderstanding when he went to serve and the ball girl fell chasing a ball.

BTW...I didn't know Nico Lapenti had a brother...he was at the match also.

pixs of Murray during the match

SaFed2005
08-27-2005, 02:33 AM
I saw that match today...he was a bit arugmentative w/ the umpire in the second set...nothing major -some misunderstanding when he went to serve and the ball girl fell chasing a ball.

BTW...I didn't know Nico Lapenti had a brother...he was at the match also.

pixs of Murray during the match

Damn I must've missed the ball girl falling while chasing the ball. I think I must've blinked. LOL

azza
08-27-2005, 02:46 AM
Luczak could take him out :)

superpinkone37
08-27-2005, 03:34 AM
Giovanni!! :bigcry: He's like, one of my recent faves, btw ;)

I'm glad he made it more of a match after that 0-6 start :sobbing: lmfao

But, good for Murray, I like him too :)

SwissMister1
08-27-2005, 04:28 AM
Onewoman and SaFed, did you guys hear the crazy lady who was yelling out "CMON ANDEE" "CMON ANDEE" in the middle of the points? She was doing the same thing during the Benneteau-Bogomolov match. She was definitely doing some nice drugs or something.

vincayou
08-27-2005, 09:40 AM
Good win for Andy! Now, there is hope that his shoulder won't handicap too much in the main draw. I want him to do some damage!

delsa
08-27-2005, 09:55 AM
Gosh! Why does he have to be injured? :( I wish him good luck. :D

Aleksa's Laydee
08-27-2005, 10:24 AM
ANDY!!! :bounce: Well Done :yeah:

Castafiore
08-27-2005, 10:36 AM
Well done, Andy! :)

Did you guys see what JMac had to say about him not having a WC?

Another talented teen who has attracted attention is Scottish sensation Andrew Murray, the 2004 U.S. Open junior champion. The USTA was reportedly negotiating with the LTA in a wild card exchange that would have given Murray a wild card into next week's Open in exchange for a future Wimbledon wild card for an American player. James Blake was awarded a wild card into Wimbledon this year and there were rumors that LTA officials sought a Murray wild card into the Open as reciprocation for the Blake wild card. When a mutual agreement could not be reached, the USTA opted against awarding Murray a wild card and McEnroe said he was surprised by the move.

"In short, yes I was surprised based on a couple people I saw who got wild cards," McEnroe said. "I've followed his results and heard he's playing some good tennis. He'll probably get in (through qualifying) because he's playing well, but I was surprised he didn't get a wild card. I think he deserved one, personally. Listen, the guy's a good player and I like him a lot so I'm hopeful he will improve his conditioning, but he's got a good future, potentially."

Asked if he had been contacted recently to work on a part-time basis with Murray, McEnroe replied: "I checked my messages and I haven't heard any messages recently. Just join the list of people who aren't calling me."
Source: Tennis Week

onewoman74
08-27-2005, 01:00 PM
Onewoman and SaFed, did you guys hear the crazy lady who was yelling out "CMON ANDEE" "CMON ANDEE" in the middle of the points? She was doing the same thing during the Benneteau-Bogomolov match. She was definitely doing some nice drugs or something.

LOL, not really...i remember the ball girl falling over which was quite funny...it's NYC, isn't everyone on drugs? joking!!!! As a new yorker I can say that!!!

SaFed2005
08-27-2005, 01:42 PM

OMG Yea I heard her... She kept going c'mon Andy! I was sitting a few rows under her. I also saw a little bit of the Benneteau-Bogomolov match but I was just standing there on the side without the benches so I didnt hear her much there.

adee-gee
08-27-2005, 01:49 PM
People who saw the match....How did Murray's shoulder look? I heard reports saying he struggled with it :(

ClaycourtaZzZz.
08-27-2005, 01:53 PM
It wont be that bad, otherwise he wouldn't do so well:)

dorkgirl
08-27-2005, 02:01 PM
I'm not surprised that John McEnroe said he was disappointed in no WC for Murray. He's said often that he can see the kid having a lot of potential on many an occasion. And his old parter, Peter Flemming has said a couple of time how Murray reminds him of Mac in his early years.

Maybe Johnny just sees himself in Murray, he's bound to like that ;)

SaFed2005
08-27-2005, 02:04 PM
People who saw the match....How did Murray's shoulder look? I heard reports saying he struggled with it :(

He didn't seem to have any problems with his shoulder. Alteast not from what i saw. He did have something wrapped up near his left ankle but there seemed to be no problem with his shoulder.

adee-gee
08-27-2005, 02:20 PM
He didn't seem to have any problems with his shoulder. Alteast not from what i saw. He did have something wrapped up near his left ankle but there seemed to be no problem with his shoulder.

Ooh ok good! The ankle strap was probably just his protection thing against the ankle problems he's had in the past. :D

Experimentee
08-27-2005, 03:10 PM
What did he do to deserve a WC? Yeah he qualified, but so did 15 others. How come they dont deserve WCs?

tennisgirl19
08-27-2005, 04:20 PM
Good Job Andy!

:bounce:

*Viva Chile*
08-27-2005, 05:50 PM
He faces Andrei Pavel in first round... I think he has a good oportunity to win this one. ;)

ClaycourtaZzZz.
08-27-2005, 05:51 PM
of course my friend!:D

Are BBC gonna show some stuff?

Chloe le Bopper
08-27-2005, 06:03 PM
I watched all three of his qualie matches and took lots of photos to demonstrate what I called the "Murray Mayhem" that occured after each match. Boy got mobbed like he was a top player ;)

Don't be too impressed by that bagel against Lapentti though. Lapentti absolutely stunk up a storm that set.

Chloe le Bopper
08-27-2005, 06:04 PM
Yeah, that confused me too. Shoulder? Eh? Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention. I thought that he pulled up on his ankle a couple times in the second though :shrug:

Chloe le Bopper
08-27-2005, 06:04 PM
What did he do to deserve a WC? Yeah he qualified, but so did 15 others. How come they dont deserve WCs?
WCs are not about "deserving". Hopefully someday, people will understand this ;)

Aleksa's Laydee
08-27-2005, 06:21 PM
I watched all three of his qualie matches and took lots of photos to demonstrate what I called the "Murray Mayhem" that occured after each match. Boy got mobbed like he was a top player ;)

ooh lets see your piccies please :bigwave:

Sandra
08-27-2005, 06:22 PM
:banana:Andy:banana:

Chloe le Bopper
08-27-2005, 07:07 PM
ooh lets see your piccies please :bigwave:
They will all be posted over the next couple of days. There are HUNDREDS of photos to crop and resize and put on MTF, so give me some time ;)

superpinkone37
08-27-2005, 07:09 PM
They will all be posted over the next couple of days. There are HUNDREDS of photos to crop and resize and put on MTF, so give me some time ;)

Did you take ones of Lapentti as well? Or just Murray?

Aleksa's Laydee
08-27-2005, 07:14 PM

aww thanks...cant wait :worship:

Chloe le Bopper
08-27-2005, 07:15 PM
Did you take ones of Lapentti as well? Or just Murray?
Of course. I knew that you liked Lapentti :p

superpinkone37
08-27-2005, 07:16 PM
Of course. I knew that you liked Lapentti :p

:D:D:D Thanks Becca :hug:

NYCtennisfan
08-27-2005, 08:50 PM
He faces Andrei Pavel in first round... I think he has a good oportunity to win this one.

Depends upon how Pavel is serving. If he is serving like of late, I think AM can take him too.

musefanatic
08-27-2005, 09:06 PM
Yay Andy, go for it!!!

revolution
08-27-2005, 11:18 PM
Andy has qualified, and not needed a WC. The antis have no argument about his behaviour when he's just a kid still.

Sugar Kane
08-28-2005, 09:15 AM
Andrei :aparty:

Sandra
08-28-2005, 06:43 PM
Andy :aparty:Easy first round man :yeah:

Sugar Kane
08-28-2005, 06:45 PM
:ras: Sandee, you traitor!

Sandra
08-28-2005, 06:46 PM
Me??:angel:What is the problem if i like Andy more than my countryman?;)

Sugar Kane
08-28-2005, 07:02 PM
You! You are the problem!!! :haha:

Sandra
08-28-2005, 07:04 PM
Of course i always am ;)