Wertheim seed report [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Wertheim seed report

virex
08-25-2005, 09:29 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/jon_wertheim/08/24/usopen.men/index.html

he says pretty much the obvious except for:

Semifinals

Federer v. Monfils

onewoman74
08-25-2005, 09:33 PM
huh? Monfils?

1sun
08-25-2005, 09:35 PM
im pretty sure that has to be a mistake

oneandonlyhsn
08-25-2005, 09:35 PM
Yeah and I'll bagel Roger in the final :lol:

madmanfool
08-25-2005, 09:39 PM
[url]
Semifinals

Federer v. Monfils

He's a few years too early i'm afraid

alfonsojose
08-25-2005, 09:51 PM
Very risky choice

NYCtennisfan
08-25-2005, 10:08 PM
Well, he has to make some crazy prediction in there. It's too boring to say Fed/Hewitt or Safin and Nadal or Agassi vs. Roddick.

mitalidas
08-25-2005, 10:14 PM
This is one of his stranger predictions.

But take a look at what he predicted this year for Wimbledon:
Semifinals

Thomas Johansson vs. Roddick

Everyone laughed about this ex-ante and the guy came up right. So lets wait and see --there are a lot of headcases and injurymen in that quarter with Monfils (I don't know if Monfils is among them!), anything can happen

NYCtennisfan
08-25-2005, 10:15 PM
^Very good point.

oneandonlyhsn
08-25-2005, 10:35 PM

Semifinals

Everyone laughed about this ex-ante and the guy came up right. So lets wait and see --there are a lot of headcases and injurymen in that quarter with Monfils (I don't know if Monfils is among them!), anything can happen

:eek: I didnt know about that

Lisbeth
08-25-2005, 11:49 PM
He will also do anything to avoid having to pick Lleyton (probably because he said he was finished in mid 2003 ... )

Deivid23
08-26-2005, 12:03 AM
Wertheim, stop drinking. lol @ Monfils in semis.

megadeth
08-26-2005, 12:09 AM
i think that safin-hewitt quarter would be a great match to watch...

delsa
08-26-2005, 12:10 AM
Sorry but, looking at how he's playing now, i don't even think that Gaël will go past the first round...

njnetswill
08-26-2005, 12:12 AM
Since when was "Oli Rochus" "their man" ? :confused:

Lisbeth
08-26-2005, 12:14 AM
i think that safin-hewitt quarter would be a great match to watch...

absolutely - they've played some excellent matches :) They have great respect for each other too :)

DanEd
08-26-2005, 12:17 AM
monfils in semis :lol: :haha: :retard: :smash: :tape:

monfils will lose to djokovic

Scotso
08-26-2005, 02:08 AM
Yes, Djokovic will smoke him.

NicoMassuTheBest
08-26-2005, 02:10 AM
nadal will win and nico massu will be a semifinalist :rocker:
federer will lose in first round :devil:

Leo
08-26-2005, 02:14 AM
Monfils?!

He also picked Youzhny to make the semis of the Australian this year. He likes having one surprising pick.

BAMJ6
08-26-2005, 02:19 AM
Super Saturday predictions

Jesusfed vs. Safin day match
Andre-Roddick on Saturday Night

rofe
08-26-2005, 03:12 AM

I would love to see a Fed-Safin match but Safin was very sluggish in Cincy. Unless his knee somehow gets better or he wills himself to play a better game with a bum knee, I don't see it happening.

Andre or Roddick have a good chance to prevail over Nadal as long as they maintain their cool.

kerrie1981
08-26-2005, 03:22 AM
"8. Guillermo Coria. The fastest man in tennis can get to every ball, but doesn't always do much once he arrives. Given his play in the tune-ups and his track record in Queens, he'll be lucky to live up to his seeding."

Coria's track record in Queens is 6-2, including a QF at his last appearance, in 2003. Is that supposed to be a bad track record? Mario Ancic has never won a single match in Queens; why doesn't Jon mention that in Ancic's prediction?

mitalidas
08-26-2005, 03:26 AM
He would mention Ancic, if Ancic was as high seeded as coria
His point is that, given a reasonably high ranking, he expects coria to do little at the Open

El Legenda
08-26-2005, 03:32 AM
This might be the GS Ljubicic gets to 4th round..

probly not,

savesthedizzle
08-26-2005, 03:34 AM
Yes, Djokovic will smoke him.

Correct. :yeah:

Leo
08-26-2005, 04:51 AM

Saturday night is the women's final.

GonzoFan
08-26-2005, 05:06 AM

:lol:

Fergie
08-26-2005, 05:10 AM
Nice joke! :lol:

Sadly Nico with luck will win a couple of matchs :sad:

GonzoFan
08-26-2005, 05:14 AM
Sadly Nico with luck will win a couple of matchs :sad:

hope Nico will make it at least to third round

Fergie
08-26-2005, 05:15 AM
hope Nico will make it at least to third round
This would be great but who knows ;)

megadeth
08-26-2005, 07:35 AM
i don't think safin would go deep. lately, he's been really performing badly. can't really get through.

he did surprise everyone when he reached the halle finals, but based on safin's trend, he usually gets into gear late in the year...

usually by the china open - madrid-paris time frame. but if safin becomes safin, i wouldn't be surprised with a rd 3 exit...

Chloe le Bopper
08-27-2005, 09:38 PM
He will also do anything to avoid having to pick Lleyton (probably because he said he was finished in mid 2003 ... )

Or probably because he was dead on with what he said about Lleyton?

Chloe le Bopper
08-27-2005, 09:41 PM
Since when was "Oli Rochus" "their man" ? :confused:

Wertheim is, and has been for as long as I can remember, an unapologetic Olivier Rochus fanboy. I think it's a very good choice :)

Chloe le Bopper
08-27-2005, 09:42 PM
I am stunned that Monfils and Djokovic didn't make his "first round matches to watch" list. I mean, COME ON. I'd be on that court a set early. Maybe it's just me.

Action Jackson
08-27-2005, 09:45 PM
I am stunned that Monfils and Djokovic didn't make his "first round matches to watch" list. I mean, COME ON. I'd be on that court a set early. Maybe it's just me.

Are you being sarcastic?

liptea
08-28-2005, 12:40 AM
My favorite part is how Carlos isn't mentioned once. :sad:

Geniey2g
08-28-2005, 01:18 AM
Are you being sarcastic?
lol, no way! It's one of the 1st round matches I'm looking forward to.

savesthedizzle
08-28-2005, 01:24 AM

Duh. I'd be there 2 sets early staking out my seat, getting ready for some hard core staring action to go down. :p

If only one of them was American or in the top 5 so that I'd get to see it on TV.

Chloe le Bopper
08-28-2005, 01:29 AM
Are you being sarcastic?
No. Two teenage players with a lot of talent. One hyped up, one not so much. That's a good first round match to me ;) Well, and I like both of them anyways, so I might be a bit BIASED.

Then again, Werthiem is the same one who said he'd rather do something else than watch Djokovic play Garcia-Lopez play a five setter, so meh.

TennisLurker
08-28-2005, 02:19 AM
I dont like Monfils, and the only Novak I like is the one who has Novak as his surname.

SwissMister1
08-28-2005, 02:30 AM
JW always feels like he has to pick an out-of nowhere semifinalist, I guess he feels like he would be a bad journalist if he didn't.

Monfils actually has a good chance (along with about 6 other players) to make it to the quarterfinals, but I don't think his game matches up well with Hewitt at this point.

Domino
08-28-2005, 02:38 AM
I don't see why he believes Gasquet has a bad draw to make it to the second week.

Action Jackson
08-28-2005, 07:01 AM
No. Two teenage players with a lot of talent. One hyped up, one not so much. That's a good first round match to me ;) Well, and I like both of them anyways, so I might be a bit BIASED.

Then again, Werthiem is the same one who said he'd rather do something else than watch Djokovic play Garcia-Lopez play a five setter, so meh.

I know it's a good match and I am not surprised that Worthless doesn't like it as the Wimbledon comment made about Djokovic sums it up for me. Considering I did that potential thread of those players and Djokovic is in the group that I voted for and I would like to see this for sure, just didn't expect Worthless to agree.

silverwhite
08-28-2005, 07:16 AM
I don't see why he believes Gasquet has a bad draw to make it to the second week.

He has tennis elbow, and was hitting second serves for first ones in Cincinnati against Ancic. Even if he gets past Martin and Young, I don't see how he's going to return Ljubicic's serves in the third. I hope he pulls out to avoid risking worsening the injury, to be honest. It's not like he has points to defend anyway.

Action Jackson
08-28-2005, 07:20 AM
He has tennis elbow, and was hitting second serves for first ones in Cincinnati against Ancic. Even if he gets past Martin and Young, I don't see how he's going to return Ljubicic's serves in the third. I hope he pulls out to avoid risking worsening the injury, to be honest. It's not like he has points to defend anyway.

He can pull out after the US Open, as for his tennis elbow, I saw Baghdatis play with it at the AO and make the 4th round after qualifying, though to be fair, he had some time off afterwards and at the same time Ljubo is no guarantee to make the 3rd round.

amierin
08-28-2005, 07:22 AM

Semifinals

I think Monfils is a couple of years away from a good showing at the US Open.
As for Hewitt, rock on Wertheim. Put a stake in the little bugger so we can all move on.

silverwhite
08-28-2005, 07:23 AM
He can pull out after the US Open, as for his tennis elbow, I saw Baghdatis play with it at the AO and make the 4th round after qualifying, though to be fair, he had some time off afterwards and at the same time Ljubo is no guarantee to make the 3rd round.

Wouldn't it worsen the injury? :confused:

Ljubo = worst case scenario :lol: The others in Ljubo's section are Summerer, Saulnier and Tipsarevic and I don't think he will lose to any of them.

Action Jackson
08-28-2005, 07:27 AM
Wouldn't it worsen the injury? :confused:

Ljubo = worst case scenario :lol:

The thing is that if he takes an injection for it to help get rid of the swelling, then he won't be able to play. At the same time he would have to make sure there was nothing in it, that would cause him to fail a drug test.

He would take time off after the US Open, but the main thing is that if he can't play, then he can't play. I have had it and it's not the best thing to have for sure.

silverwhite
08-28-2005, 07:28 AM
How long did you take to recover?

Action Jackson
08-28-2005, 07:36 AM
How long did you take to recover?

3 weeks before I could try and baby level tennis.

Back to the subject Worthless does like to a pick a bolter. He did say Gaudio would make the semis at RG 04 and he got ToJo right at Wimbledon, but he has got it right now and again.

silverwhite
08-28-2005, 07:39 AM
3 weeks before I could try and baby level tennis.

Back to the subject Worthless does like to a pick a bolter. He did say Gaudio would make the semis at RG 04 and he got ToJo right at Wimbledon, but he has got it right now and again.

Thanks for the info. :)

Gaudio and ToJo were safer picks. Monfils.... :scared:

Action Jackson
08-28-2005, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the info. :)

Gaudio and ToJo were safer picks. Monfils.... :scared:

Gaudio in 2004 was a bolter of a pick, he was in shocking form and one difference is that my problem was that the point of my elbow couldn't be seen due to swelling.

Monfils won't make the semis this year.

liptea
08-28-2005, 08:03 AM
CARLOS MOYA FOR 2005 US OPEN WINNER!!!

I'm making campaign posters and everything!

Daniel
08-29-2005, 02:41 AM
:lol: