How many people here are rated 4.5 or higher? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How many people here are rated 4.5 or higher?

95mphsrv
08-25-2005, 05:20 PM
Well______------_____------Also how old to tag on to your rank

Grinder
08-25-2005, 05:35 PM
I'm a 5.0.

alfonsojose
08-25-2005, 05:38 PM
I'm 7" :angel:

FLL
08-25-2005, 05:38 PM
I'm about 5.0 also :)

uNIVERSE mAN
08-25-2005, 05:41 PM
I'm probably between 3.0 and 3.5

Pros

- can pound a one hand backhand with some power
- forehand is strong and I have control of direction on it if played when I have a bit of time to set up (forehand up the line is my best shot); can go cross-court with it at will.
- can hit a decent dropshot
- can juice up the first serve
- can hit a kick second serve
- ability to hit a federer like shot once a match (maybe due to luck or probability theory heh)
- have heavy groundstrokes with a lot of topspin
- good eye for balls going out
- can go for long rallies in a practice session

Cons
- trouble with overheads, sometimes hit sweet, sometimes framed, sometimes in the net, sometimes out of the court into a nearby park.
- don't know where my forehand volley is going when I hit it half the time especially on powerful shots back at me (backhand ones are better)
- slice tends to look like an attempted lob 50% of the time
- can't hit shots on the run very well and usually go into the net or out
- have some problems directing the backhand side and sometimes when I aim for one place it goes somewhere else :P
- 1st serve % is probably 25% if I try and crank it (50% if I take something off)
- prone to double faulting
- can get broken sometimes without opponent playing a decent shot
- approach shots are clueless, no idea when to come to net
- easy to lob me on the rare chance I attack the net
- serving and volleying is something I do best watching on tv rather than attempting

To conclude, it's great fun all the same! :wavey:

StrangeAttractor
08-25-2005, 05:43 PM
Well______------_____------

This is the internet. We all are multimillionaire Tennis pros with supermodel girlfriends (or boyfriends), driving a different sports car every day.

Angle Queen
08-25-2005, 05:51 PM
While sadly I cannot include myself in this group, it might be helpful if the others knew what you were refering to.

Here are the USTA's NTRP guidelines:

To place yourself:

A. Begin with 1.5. Read all categories carefully and then decide which one best describes your present ability level. Be certain that you qualify on all points of all preceding levels as well as those in the level you choose.
B. When rating yourself assume you are playing against a player of the same gender and the same ability.

General Characteristics of Various NTRP Playing Levels
(Wheelchair players please see note below)

You have limited experience and are working primarily on getting the ball in play.

You lack court experience and your strokes need developing. You are familiar with the basic positions for singles and doubles play.

You are learning to judge where the ball is going, although your court coverage is limited. You can sustain a short rally of slow pace with other players of the same ability.

You are fairly consistent when hitting medium-paced shots, but are not comfortable with all strokes and lack execution when trying for directional control, depth, or power. Your most common doubles formation is one-up, one-back.

You have achieved improved stroke dependability with directional control on moderate shots, but need to develop depth and variety. You exhibit more aggressive net play, have improved court coverage and are developing teamwork in doubles.

You have dependable strokes, including directional control and depth on both forehand and backhand sides on moderate-paced shots. You can use lobs, overheads, approach shots and volleys with some success and occasionally force errors when serving. Rallies may be lost due to impatience. Teamwork in doubles is evident.

You have developed your use of power and spin and can handle pace. You have sound footwork, can control depth of shots, and attempt to vary game plan according to your opponents. You can hit first serves with power and accuracy and place the second serve. You tend to overhit on difficult shots. Aggressive net play is common in doubles.

You have good shot anticipation and frequently have an outstanding shot or attribute around which a game may be structured. You can regularly hit winners or force errors off of short balls and can put away volleys. You can successfully execute lobs, drop shots, half volleys, overhead smashes, and have good depth and spin on most second serves.

You have mastered power and/or consistency as a major weapon. You can vary strategies and styles of play in a competitive situation and hit dependable shots in a stress situation.

6.0 to 7.0
You have had intensive training for national tournament competition at the junior and collegiate levels and have obtained a sectional and/or national ranking.

You are a world-class player.
http://www.usta.com/leagues/custom.sps?iType=931&icustompageid=1655

There are also some specific guidelines for Elite players (like those who have played in high school/college/etc.).

http://dps.usta.com/usta_master/usta/doc/content/doc_13_7372.pdf?12/6/2004%204:12:22%20PM

For what it's worth, I'm rated as a 3.0 but have played 3.5 and 4.0 players and had success against both (singles for the former, doubles for the latter). I'm hoping they'll bump up my rating this fall. :angel:

EDIT to add: At 95mph's request, all I'll say is that I'm approaching 40 and have only been playing seriously for about 3 years. The two seasons I played in HS, eons ago (shhh...with a metal, not composite, racket)....don't count. All-in-all, not too bad for an old lady, I think. :p

Frederick16
08-25-2005, 05:54 PM

tennisace
08-25-2005, 05:57 PM
Last time I was rated I was a 3.5, and haven't improved one bit since. I'm too old, and too lazy to get any better, tbh.

DH though, thinks I'm a 10. ;)

Frederick16
08-25-2005, 06:01 PM
and i am 16 years old...

Fumus
08-25-2005, 06:09 PM
I am a solid 3.5 player, it's tough hopefully someday I can play 4.0 or so.

Frederick16
08-25-2005, 06:11 PM
try to improve shot by shot.. so first the serve. then get an good fh and then bh at the try to improve the volleys. so it worked for me :)

95mphsrv
08-25-2005, 06:19 PM
True-If you get a solid first serve in 70% of the time with accuracy run up to the net and your unstoppable at a club level.
Order for learning tennis
1.Serve
2.Volley-Get use to hitting comfortably
3.Groundstrokes-Hit a million balls

El Legenda
08-25-2005, 06:33 PM
man to many lairs here..

El Legenda
08-25-2005, 06:34 PM
Im a 7.0 but instead of tennis i choose to help the poor in Ethiopia.

95mphsrv
08-25-2005, 06:35 PM
what country flag is that rducky? Also i don't believe fredrick is a 6.0 at 16 hed be nationally ranked and he didn't state that

El Legenda
08-25-2005, 06:38 PM
what country flag is that rducky?

Seborga.

Whistleway
08-25-2005, 07:15 PM
I dont think any 6.0 would be wasting time on a MTF. I know, I wouldn't if i were.

lol.

Turkeyballs Paco
08-25-2005, 07:27 PM
not by a long shot. maybe a 2.5 or 3.0, but only maybe.

fenomeno2111
08-25-2005, 07:50 PM
3 - 3.5ifsh but im improving soooo much! thanks to my coach he's REALLY helping me :worship:
i just started playing seriously 3 months ago but i play at least 8 hrs a week, at least 2 with my coach.... I have a killer BH :D and good serve but is not reliable :mad: and i smash my racquet a lot :yawn: I will play HS tennis and hopefully do a decent job :)

Jennay
08-25-2005, 07:57 PM
Probably a 4.0 or 4.5. But I've had intensive training for tournaments and that's 6.0, and I'm not that good.

NYCtennisfan
08-25-2005, 08:11 PM
Im a 7.0 but instead of tennis i choose to help the poor in Ethiopia.

LOL!

NYCtennisfan
08-25-2005, 08:12 PM
I dont think any 6.0 would be wasting time on a MTF. I know, I wouldn't if i wer

I used to be a 6.0 player and am still probably close but this getting old and fat stuff is putting a damper on things.

Rex
08-25-2005, 08:22 PM
im prolly 4.0 to 5.0, im not familiar with the system. I do actually do a lot lot of intensive training on an almost regular basis, but it sounds to me that 5.0 to 6.0 are very high calss tennis players which i am not.

Papakori
08-25-2005, 08:47 PM
4.0 :D

Angle Queen
08-25-2005, 09:24 PM
I used to be a 6.0 player and am still probably close but this getting old and fat stuff is putting a damper on things.Welcome to the club, my friend. I mean the "old" part. I was never the 6.0 and still ain't fat...but time takes its toll, no doubt.

cartmancop
08-25-2005, 10:07 PM
I would say that I'm a 5.0 I'm 17, but I don't play huge tournaments or anything, only stuff within the state when I can...

El Legenda
08-26-2005, 01:41 AM
Im a 7.0 but instead of tennis i choose to help the poor in Ethiopia.LOL!

thank you, im on every Thrusday ;)

NYCtennisfan
08-26-2005, 02:22 AM
Welcome to the club, my friend. I mean the "old" part. I was never the 6.0 and still ain't fat...but time takes its toll, no doubt.

Hehehehe. The worst part is that my little brother can now beat me. He never beat when we were in school, in college....ever. I have to avoid playing him now because I don't think I can beat him anymore. Time to consult my rolodex of excuses ala Jerry Seinfeld. :)

fco253
08-26-2005, 03:38 AM
Hey guys, I live outside USA, I know the rating system and what it means, but not how it really works.
Could one of you, who has the time and the patience, explain to me a couple of things?
-how is the ranking assigned/updated?
-You jump from 3.0 to 3.5 to 4.0, or you can be 3.2,3.7, etc.?
-The tourneys reunite players within which point difference?

megadeth
08-26-2005, 06:28 AM
so we can safely assume that all pros should be at least a 7 regardless of their rank?

LuckyAC
08-26-2005, 09:04 AM
Well, I am too young to have an NTRP ranking (though I can get one next year), but two years ago I was #1 singles for my high school, which lost 4-3 to Los Gatos, the top team in Northern California, and I won my city men's singles pretty easily, although there was no one higher than 4.5.

its.like.that
08-26-2005, 09:31 AM
ok, well I'm 12 and I'm a 7.0 and I'm not overrating myself.

:rolleyes:

Mrs. B
08-26-2005, 09:42 AM
4.2 :p

...and an agressive net play in doubles. :angel:

not bad for an old girl. ;)

tennisace
08-26-2005, 10:49 AM
Hey guys, I live outside USA, I know the rating system and what it means, but not how it really works.
Could one of you, who has the time and the patience, explain to me a couple of things?

You hit for about 30 minutes with another player while a USTA certified teaching pro watches. Depending on what they see, they assign you a rating. The scale is only on a .5, so no such thing as a 3.2, 3.4. It also costs to be rated, and at least where I live (upstate NY) it's only offered a few times a year. Being rated isn't a requirement to play socially, but if you want to play on a USTA team, you must have a rating. You need to get rated at least once a year to play on a team, and if you're rated 3.0 you play on a team, and in a league of other 3.0 teams.

As far as some of the people on this board saying they're rated 5.0, 6.0 or higher - I guess it's possible, but most of the really really good players I know are rated no more then 4.5. Even the head pro at my club, who use to play on the women's tour about 15 years ago, or so, told me she's probably only a 5.0 now, since she's gotten older. And she's really really good.

Angle Queen
08-26-2005, 12:25 PM
You hit for about 30 minutes with another player while a USTA certified teaching pro watches. Depending on what they see, they assign you a rating. The scale is only on a .5, so no such thing as a 3.2, 3.4. It also costs to be rated, and at least where I live (upstate NY) it's only offered a few times a year. Being rated isn't a requirement to play socially, but if you want to play on a USTA team, you must have a rating. You need to get rated at least once a year to play on a team, and if you're rated 3.0 you play on a team, and in a league of other 3.0 teams.I'm surprised they're still making you pay to get rated. Here in Virginia, and I'd thought for all USTA League play, you do what's called "self-rating" where basically you use their guidelines and figure out where you think you are. (http://www.usta.com/leagues/custom.sps?iType=931&icustompageid=6250) Your first season of play, you're considered "self-rated" and your scores are carefully monitored. For example, if you rate yourself as a 3.0 and then play #1 singles and are killing everybody 6-0, 6-0...you can bet another team will challenge your rating. That's a US$50 fee...for a USTA official to "test" the player. That fee is refunded if they find you've underestimated yourself...and all your scores are disqualified.

Obviously with that kind of system, there is some gamesmanship. For an adult re-entering competitive play, they often try to underestimate themselves so they can find success (or their form again...which is a somewhat legitimate concern). The captain I play for (who is also a level coordinator) won't stand for those shenanigans on her team and all of us are legitimate 3.0s partly because she rarely accepts a "self-rated" player due to the substantial risks involved. We usually lose some every year (up) but that's mostly due to the fact that we pay for year-round coaching and are always looking to improve our game.

USTA uses dynamic rating which, in theory, means they can adjust ratings over the course of the season but generally they only do that on specific request. Otherwise, the computer generates your scores twice a year. There's a mid-term grade...and you usually only appear on that list if you're in danger of losing your rating. The final ratings come out each fall.

They don't publish their rating formulas but the system has three general categories: "self-rated", normal and "benchmark" players. From the best we can figure out, you are compared to the "benchmark" players. If you beat them, it's a good bet you'll be moved up. If your matches with a benchmark player are tight, you'll probably stay where you are. If a benchmark player slaughters you...they're likely to move up...and/or you're likely to move down.

While I have heard of ratings not on the 0.5 point, it's rare and I've never seen it used around here.

Tournaments are either "rated" or "open". The rated tournaments strictly use NTRP ratings with no regard to age. "Open" tournaments sometimes have age categories but NTRP ratings are ignored. If the tournament is sanctioned, regardless of the type, your scores will count towards your rating.

As far as some of the people on this board saying they're rated 5.0, 6.0 or higher - I guess it's possible, but most of the really really good players I know are rated no more then 4.5. Even the head pro at my club, who use to play on the women's tour about 15 years ago, or so, told me she's probably only a 5.0 now, since she's gotten older. And she's really really good.I'm with tennisace on this one...as least as far as adults are concerned. Some of the very best players in our area are only 4.5s and club pros would be 5.0s. On the other hand, I helped a local high school girls tennis team this past year and their #1 player was state and regionally ranked...got a scholarship to a small tier college...and I could still beat her consistently. Granted we only play one set at a time, but she was always the one tuckered out at the end. ;)

alelysafina
08-26-2005, 05:56 PM
3.5-4.0 (on a good day)... Im better than I though :yeah:

jacobhiggins
08-26-2005, 07:04 PM
I'd say i'm a 2.0!

fco253
09-03-2005, 12:13 PM
Tennis Ace and Angle Queen, both thank you very much for your explanations...