1 handed backhand versus 2 handed backhand [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

1 handed backhand versus 2 handed backhand

nkhera1
08-25-2005, 05:27 AM
Sorry if this has already been discussed but the serach option is lousy because just about every thread has the word backhand in it somewhere. Anyways I've come to a point in time where I need to make a decision if I want a one handed backhand or two handed backhand. I've been using a 2 hander and it used to be good but now its getting worse (maybe from lack of practice) so I was just wondering what you guys think are the pros and cons of each shot. Thanks in advance and sorry if this was already posted. Also if you don't mind, it would be helpful if you could mention some of the better 1 handed and 2 handed players.

disturb3d
08-25-2005, 06:01 AM
The best backhands in the world are single-handed: Gaudio, Roger, Youzhny, Gasquet.

El Legenda
08-25-2005, 06:05 AM
i use 2 handed..i think i have more control that why.

Fedex
08-25-2005, 06:12 AM
I use a one hander, but its a matter of preference really. Which ever backhand you feel most comfortable hitting. The two hander is probably easier to control, but you have more options with the one handed backhand (ie., slice, topspin, etc.)

its.like.that
08-25-2005, 06:16 AM
the scrappy players all use double handers: 99% of WTA, Agassi, Hewitt, Chang, Nadal.

the purists all use a single hander: Federer, Gaudio, Gasquet, Henin, Fena Gonzalez, Guga etc.

as well as retired players: Sampras, Edberg, Vilas and so on...

Truc
08-25-2005, 07:06 AM
the purists all use a single hander: Federer, Gaudio, Gasquet, Henin, Fena Gonzalez, Guga etc. as well as retired players: Wilander, Sampras, Edberg, Vilas and so on...
Wilander had a two-handed backhand. He sometimes played a one handed backhand slice, but the two-handed backhand was even his most famous shot.

megadeth
08-25-2005, 07:30 AM
one hander:
pros: more disguise, farther reach, more shot choices
cons: less power and control compared to two hander (not always though, depends on the player)

two hander:
pros: more power, more control, can get away with not changing grips drastically
cons: lesser reach, less disguise and flexibility

alfonsojose
08-25-2005, 12:30 PM
less disguise with a two-handed ... :scratch: ... ask Hingis, Pierce, Venus, Serena, Andre or Nalby :bowdown:

tennisace
08-25-2005, 12:55 PM
My kid's (he's 12) instructor just switched him from a one handed to a two handed. He started hitting it so much better, and having way more control. I was devastated (not really, just that I love the one handed so much more.) The instructor did tell him he will work on his one handed, especially as an approach shot to get him into net - so all is not completely lost.

Frederick16
08-25-2005, 12:58 PM
i think it depends how good you are. for a more better player it is more easy to develop an good one hander. but when you are not real good the one handed is then the ugliest one most of the times. stick to your double handed one...

madmanfool
08-25-2005, 01:37 PM
I've just switched my double handed backhand to a single handed, so I think I can answer this

I don't regret my decision one bit, you can do so much more with a single handed

To me there are three lesser aspects about it: it's harder on shoulder height balls, it is worse for your elbow and it's not easy to play with in windy conditions

But apart from that a one handed is magic, you can do so much more with

and btw that you would have less power with a single handed is absolute bullshit

Nimomunz
08-25-2005, 01:52 PM
i use doublehanded because i'm a weak girl :sad:
Safins 2handed is really great!!! :drool:
The best 1handed ...........(sorry) Henin-Hardenne. Amazing!!!

Frederick16
08-25-2005, 01:56 PM
the best one handed backhand i ever saw is volandri's but because he is not real top you will never hear of that. and smashnovas backhand is better than the one of henin but same there...

The Pro
08-25-2005, 02:12 PM
It seems a case of beginner/amatuer vs profesional.

If you're a pro, then the one hander seems superior, especially in terms of power & flexibility as you can really swing your arm into it (ala Henin Hardenne), the only problem is it needs a 'wind up', much more so than a forehand or a 2 handed back hand.

The 2 hander can be brought to bear quickly as your other hand can support the other and you can pull off shots quicker. Especially superior to the one hander in this sense as you can react to a bad or random bounce quicker and with less damage to your shot.

I'm The Pro only in name, so I use a 2 hander, since I'm not powerful enough for 1, and I find the wind up to difficult to get right.

The 2 hander is a wee bit less flexible shot wise then the 1 hander, but it's cheap, cheerful and easy and gives you time to concentrate on things like what you're opponent's doing, what you're gonna do, and so on.

Also, I find topspin and slice easier to perform with a 2 hander, but I'd say it's even between 1 and 2 hands. It's mostly preference really.

wcr
08-25-2005, 02:14 PM
Two-handed backhands are easier to learn and the results come faster. I think that's why so many coaches (especially American) teach it. The one-handed backhand is the Masterati of tennis shots. A high performance weapon with a lot of subtle parts that, when all fired up and working together, produce magical shot making in the supreme.

wcr
08-25-2005, 02:25 PM
I've just switched my double handed backhand to a single handed, so I think I can answer this

I don't regret my decision one bit, you can do so much more with a single handed

To me there are three lesser aspects about it: it's harder on shoulder height balls, it is worse for your elbow and it's not easy to play with in windy conditions

But apart from that a one handed is magic, you can do so much more with

and btw that you would have less power with a single handed is absolute bullshit

Correct about the high shots to the backhand (case in point, Nadal v. Federer).

Windy conditions shouldn't make a one handed backhand more difficult. Tip top footwork is what you need in windy conditions (well, all the time really but especially in wind).

If you hit a one-handed backhand correctly, you should have ZERO problems with your elbow or any other body part. Get someone to check your technique. It's a painless shot when done correctly. This is true for all shots in tennis.

1sun
08-25-2005, 02:36 PM
the most talented players use single handed backhands. double handed backhands are so much easier to master, thats why most kids these days use double handed backhands.

1sun
08-25-2005, 02:41 PM
My kid's (he's 12) instructor just switched him from a one handed to a two handed. He started hitting it so much better, and having way more control. I was devastated (not really, just that I love the one handed so much more.) The instructor did tell him he will work on his one handed, especially as an approach shot to get him into net - so all is not completely lost.
your kid is not strong enough to cope with a single handed backhand, most players develop it later when they become stronger. very few kids play with a single handed backhand at the beginning because its just to hard for them.
its good that he changed, mayb later when he gets older he might convert back if hes good enough.

Frederick16
08-25-2005, 03:04 PM
i have an 1 handed since i am 6...

wcr
08-25-2005, 03:05 PM

Your kid's instructor probably switched him to a two-hander because he doesn't know how to teach a one-hander very well. Of course your kid hit better with a two-hander, it's easier and results come quicker and the coach gets to keep his job. Pete was 12-13 years old when he switched from a two to a one-handed backhand.

The one hander approach to the net is nothing more than a slice. Hope your son doesn't come to rely on the slice, much the way Roddick is now.

Has anyone here noticed how much more Roddick is hitting the slice instead of a topspin backhand lately? Not good.

auwkeung
08-25-2005, 03:34 PM
both options hv their pros and cons
so i think it's not the matter of which is superior to which
but your own perference

safin and agassi's double hander was juz as good as (or even better than) roger's single hander, in terms of power and angle

but the fact is that a double hander require a better footwork to "get" to the ball

madmanfool
08-25-2005, 05:44 PM
If you hit a one-handed backhand correctly, you should have ZERO problems with your elbow or any other body part. Get someone to check your technique. It's a painless shot when done correctly. This is true for all shots in tennis.

You completely missed the point.
I have ZERO problems with my elbow or any other body part, in fact I never had an injury in my entire life thank you very much
And my technique is just fine.
Off course every shot is painless when done correctly, who ever said something about that?

But i'm not lying when i'm saying a one hander is worse for your elbow. Just read that sentence, don't make stories around it ty.
With every shot you hit you get a small shock, no matter how good your technique is or wether your name is Federer or somebody else.
When you hit a one hander the shock is taking mostly by your elbow, while with a two hander it's mostly taken by your second hand. Most players with elbow injuries are single handed
take richard krajicek as exemple

madmanfool
08-25-2005, 05:50 PM
Windy conditions shouldn't make a one handed backhand more difficult. Tip top footwork is what you need in windy conditions (well, all the time really but especially in wind).

I know this from my own experience If i may. With a double hander you can make last second small adjustments much easier with that second hand wich comes in handy very much in windy conditions

There was a reason why Hewitt (probably the best wind player out there) embarressed Haas last year at the Open in windy conditions. Or why Agassi pushed Federer to five sets.
Or why Henin just last week hit so many backhands with the frame against Clijsters in windy conditions (a lot in second set when the wind picked up)

Do you play tennis yourself at a decent level? I doubt it

I'm talking about very small differences here, no major things

95mphsrv
08-25-2005, 05:53 PM
the best one handed backhand i ever saw is volandri's but because he is not real top you will never hear of that. and smashnovas backhand is better than the one of henin but same there...
He got his ass wooped yesterday versus blake 6-1/ 6-3 or something he had no backhand what soever

Angle Queen
08-25-2005, 06:03 PM
For the average recreational player (and that covers a lot of skill ranges)...I think it's absolutely imperative that you have both in your arsenal. The two-hander is certainly the place to start but as you get better and stronger, you might find yourself using the one-hander with more success. An injury might force your hand too, all puns intended. After breaking a finger on my left hand (I'm a rightie), my one-hander got a lot more use. Now that all is healed (ok, well mostly), I've gone back to the two-handed job when I'm at the baseline but find myself using it mostly just to set up the shot. Same thing with volleys.

Practice both, use both.

Frederick16
08-25-2005, 06:06 PM
He got his ass wooped yesterday versus blake 6-1/ 6-3 or something he had no backhand what soever

have you ever saw his serve... or volleys?? when people say andy is top 3 because his serve. filipo is top 35 because his backhand...

tennisace
08-25-2005, 06:17 PM
your kid is not strong enough to cope with a single handed backhand, most players develop it later when they become stronger. very few kids play with a single handed backhand at the beginning because its just to hard for them.
its good that he changed, mayb later when he gets older he might convert back if hes good enough.

As a matter of fact he's incredibly strong. Just this summer he got his skipper on the Hobie 14 - the youngest kid at his camp to ever get it. To earn it, you have to capsize the entire craft (among other things) and right it completely. He's already 5'2 and 114lbs, with arm muscles that are becoming Nadal like. He's always been "built', even as an toddler. I think it was more to do with him not having any control with the one hander, and getting to the ball late.

"Your kid's instructor probably switched him to a two-hander because he doesn't know how to teach a one-hander very well. Of course your kid hit better with a two-hander, it's easier and results come quicker and the coach gets to keep his job. Pete was 12-13 years old when he switched from a two to a one-handed backhand.

The one hander approach to the net is nothing more than a slice. Hope your son doesn't come to rely on the slice, much the way Roddick is now. "

No, he's quite capable of teaching the one-handed bh. He's a lefty, and uses a one-handed exclusively when he plays. I've taken many lessons (both private and group with him, and he actually teaches the one handed better imo, since that is what he is most comfortable with.

He is not my kid's coach. Just a teaching instructor he takes a private lesson with once a week. We have no illusions that he will even make the high school team when the time comes, let alone play in college. Just want him to develop a nice enough game so he can enjoy playing the rest of his life, and maybe ask a girl someday if she's like to go play. Cheap date, too.

He does, according to his sailing instructors, have possibly national or Olympic potential. They are talking that we should send him to special sailing camps and buy him a boat. *sigh*

wcr
08-25-2005, 07:34 PM
I know this from my own experience If i may. With a double hander you can make last second small adjustments much easier with that second hand wich comes in handy very much in windy conditions

There was a reason why Hewitt (probably the best wind player out there) embarressed Haas last year at the Open in windy conditions. Or why Agassi pushed Federer to five sets.
Or why Henin just last week hit so many backhands with the frame against Clijsters in windy conditions (a lot in second set when the wind picked up)

Do you play tennis yourself at a decent level? I doubt it

I'm talking about very small differences here, no major things

Yes. I'm rated 5.0 and have an excellent one-handed backhand. I hit a very heavy ball and rarely slice. I cannot speak about superior "last second adjustments" with two handed backhands. I've always heard quite the opposite because two-handers have less reach with which to make those adjustments.

Windy conditions affect all aspects of the game (how about overheads and serves????) and to compete and win your footwork has to be impeccable. Any player I've ever seen frame a shot was because they either (1) took their eye off the ball or (2) didn't move their feet. If you're not in position, you're not going to hit the shot correctly regardless how many hands you have on a racket.

And, as you recall, it was the one-fisted Federer who beat the two-fisted Agassi at the USO. In case you missed it, during a couple of talk shows (John MacEnroe, Charlie Rose) Federer claimed that Agassi is the best "wind" player out there. But what the heck does he know! ;)

wcr
08-25-2005, 07:42 PM
You completely missed the point.
I have ZERO problems with my elbow or any other body part, in fact I never had an injury in my entire life thank you very much
And my technique is just fine.
Off course every shot is painless when done correctly, who ever said something about that?

But i'm not lying when i'm saying a one hander is worse for your elbow. Just read that sentence, don't make stories around it ty.
With every shot you hit you get a small shock, no matter how good your technique is or wether your name is Federer or somebody else.
When you hit a one hander the shock is taking mostly by your elbow, while with a two hander it's mostly taken by your second hand. Most players with elbow injuries are single handed
take richard krajicek as exemple

Okay, my misunderstanding. You don't have any physical problems. Good. The folks I know who wear braces around at their elbow area and hit the backhand with one hand, and cry about "tennis elbwo" are either hitting the ball too early or too late. Their technique is bad. They should fix it. If you hit a one hander correctly, there is no pain.

Speaking of injuries that you don't have, what about all the folks who hit two-handers and suffer all kinds of wrist problems? Bad wrist injuries that lead to surgery and long layoffs (Kim C., Andre A., Venus W and so on and so forth). At the pro level sure seems like there are more two-handers out on wrist problems than one-handers out on anthing related to their technique.

Turkeyballs Paco
08-25-2005, 07:43 PM
My tennis instructor won't let me switch back to the 2 hander. I wanted to use both, but he said it's not as good because you wind up getting the timing screwed up. You make contact with the ball about 6 inches or so closer with the 2 handed backhand than you would with the one handed. So, I'm sticking with the 1 handed bh for now. I haven't really mastered it, but I have a feeling it will be worth the effort to try. The only reason I wanted to switch to the one handed bh was because I was having trouble with high bouncing balls with the 2 handed bh.

i_love_you
08-25-2005, 08:09 PM
okay well i have been playing since the age of 6 and have always been using the 2 handed backhand, because i felt i have more control with it. but now i am trying out the 1 handed backhand, but my coach said i should'nt...but i find it easier with the 1 handed backhand slicing the ball. i don't know but with the 2 handed backhand i frequently put to much and then i feel something wierd in my wrist...i must be doing something terribly wrong, but my coach says they come across nicely. :confused:
can anyone relate with me? :wavey: sandra

madmanfool
08-25-2005, 08:14 PM
Windy conditions affect all aspects of the game (how about overheads and serves????) and to compete and win your footwork has to be impeccable. Any player I've ever seen frame a shot was because they either (1) took their eye off the ball or (2) didn't move their feet. If you're not in position, you're not going to hit the shot correctly regardless how many hands you have on a racket.

And, as you recall, it was the one-fisted Federer who beat the two-fisted Agassi at the USO. In case you missed it, during a couple of talk shows (John MacEnroe, Charlie Rose) Federer claimed that Agassi is the best "wind" player out there. But what the heck does he know! ;)

Very true. Off course. That's the main reason why people mishit in windy conditions. But i still believe you have a slight advantage with a one hander.

And as I was trying to say, it was the double handed Agassi who pushed the briljant Federer to five sets something he for exemple couldn't do a few months later at the Aus open. He was the better man in the rallies but Federer served so well especially in the fifth set.
I always thought Hewitt was universely regarded as "the best wind player", but I have no problem with putting Agassi just in front or just behind him. I could also ask you who the best returner of the two is. Who cares. They're both great.

madmanfool
08-25-2005, 08:17 PM
Speaking of injuries that you don't have, what about all the folks who hit two-handers and suffer all kinds of wrist problems? Bad wrist injuries that lead to surgery and long layoffs (Kim C., Andre A., Venus W and so on and so forth). At the pro level sure seems like there are more two-handers out on wrist problems than one-handers out on anthing related to their technique.

True. But since I was trying to talk about the cons of a one hander it's difficult to add that. ;)

Duncan
08-25-2005, 08:50 PM
until last year i always used the 2 handed backhand but last summer i decided to change it and now i much prefer using the 1 handed.. my opponents dont seem to get it back as much as they did before! lol