Roger's dominance partially due to his disposition? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roger's dominance partially due to his disposition?

nobama
08-24-2005, 07:29 PM
From Wertheim's most recent column:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/jon_wertheim/08/24/usopen.bag/1.html

Any chance that Roddick and other players will engage in locker-room strategy sessions to compare notes on how to beat Federer? Or have such strategy sessions already occurred?
-- Ed Lilly, Lawrenceville, N.J.

Interesting point. Remember the Survivor-style pact Martina Hingis and Lindsay Davenport once made against the Williams sisters? Maybe it's time the men did likewise with Federer.

I've written this before but I think a component -- a small component, but a component nonetheless -- of Federer's dominance is his disposition. He's such a nice guy that it's really hard for anyone to muster hatred for him on the court. I don't think he's being disingenuous. I don't think it's a tactic. But it's really effective. You wonder why boxers, for instance, don't take a page out of Federer's book. Instead of antagonizing and talking trash, you act congenially and, thus, don't inflame the passion of the opposition as much.
I've often thought the same thing. Reading press conferences with Andy after he's lost to Roger and he just goes on and on about how great Roger is, what a great guy he is off court, ect. James Blake did the same thing last week after his R1 loss in Cincy. I mean I think Andy has an easier time getting fired up when playing Lletyon than when playing Roger. I agree with Jon, I think Roger is sincerely a nice guy (has any player ever said anything negative about him?), but it does make it tough for guys to get fired up and really want to beat him.

Nimomunz
08-24-2005, 07:31 PM
i still think they are fired up and really want to beat him!!

mangoes
08-24-2005, 07:36 PM
I disagree. They are fired up to beat Roger.

PaulieM
08-24-2005, 07:39 PM
i guess i could be a small factor, but i doubt it. i think that no matter how nice someone is, the fact that they keep kicking your ass is enough of a reason for you to be very fired up to beat them.

irma
08-24-2005, 07:52 PM
He is not nice on the tenniscourt (in sense that he is beating them all constantly) so that can't be the reason. It more seems that players like Andy R are too much in awe with this game and don't really believe they can beat him, but that has nothing to do with his personality!

NYCtennisfan
08-24-2005, 08:43 PM
INteresting....

Geniey2g
08-24-2005, 08:52 PM
From Wertheim's most recent column:

I've often thought the same thing. Reading press conferences with Andy after he's lost to Roger and he just goes on and on about how great Roger is, what a great guy he is off court, ect. James Blake did the same thing last week after his R1 loss in Cincy. I mean I think Andy has an easier time getting fired up when playing Lletyon than when playing Roger. I agree with Jon, I think Roger is sincerely a nice guy (has any player ever said anything negative about him?), but it does make it tough for guys to get fired up and really want to beat him.
Do you only make threads about Roger? :scratch:

Nimomunz
08-24-2005, 08:53 PM
yes :D

Mechlan
08-24-2005, 09:02 PM
I think it goes both ways. Sometimes being the nice guy might make your opponents take it easier (though I don't think that's the case for Roger). But in other sports, you want to antagonize the opposition. You want to talk shit, to scream at them, to rile them up, because anger can then get in the way and cloud their judgement and cause them to perform worse than usual.

tangerine_dream
08-24-2005, 09:21 PM
Well, it's a welcome change from some of the Federer fans only making condescending threads about Roddick. :lol:

Anyhoo, I think the disposition thing is an interesting idea but honestly, if anybody really needed to get fired up and pissed off at Roger to beat him they could find a way. Roger is a nice guy but he's also said some things that could be interpreted as arrogant if one really wanted to (ie, twist the words around a bit). Roger plays with a lot of controlled aggression and he's learned to use his anger to his advantage whereas other players use their anger to vent at the chair ump and then they wonder why they lose.

Also, Jimmy Connors was the King of Assholes but hating him still didn't help his opponents learn to beat him.

Whistleway
08-24-2005, 09:34 PM
Roddick would love to beat Roger and would give anything for it. It just shows Weirthem never played the game at any level.. But, at sometime, I would love for Andy to beat Roger. He's too nice just to not win anything.

mitalidas
08-24-2005, 09:37 PM
Everyone would like to be the person That Broke Roger's Streak. His niceness never prevented henman and berdych and hrbaty and others from beating him, did it?

Roger had this motto long before he became Roger Federer, which to me sums it all up --"It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice". At first I thought EGAD, where is the killer instinct in that?? But turns out, this guy has a killer instinct on court and is just Joe Nice offocourt

alfonsojose
08-24-2005, 09:41 PM
disposition to .. :aplot:

ExpectedWinner
08-24-2005, 09:42 PM
I guess Wertheim has never played any sport himself. Anyone wants a piece of NO1, no matter if he's a nice person, or a complete jerk. Also, there are a lot of money and points involved.

YoursTruly
08-24-2005, 09:43 PM
Roger is known to be such a nice guy and figure for tennis, but even if this does play a role in why the others don't have a chance against him, it's probably a really small percentage. Of course they'd all aim to beat Roger, but Roger's game is just too much to handle. Naturally as well.

WF4EVER
08-24-2005, 10:28 PM
He might be too nice for them to conspire against, but no doubt they want to beat him. They just don't know how.

Mrs. B
08-24-2005, 10:48 PM
they prolly say that during interviews how nice Roger is and stuff but during play they're prolly muttering under their breaths: "i hate you asshole, now lose this next point..." :devil:

Havok
08-24-2005, 10:53 PM
Can someone elaborate on the Hingis/Davenport pact vs the Williams sisters thing.:shrug:

PamV
08-24-2005, 11:27 PM
i still think they are fired up and really want to beat him!!

Me too. I don't think a player needs to hate another player in order to get fired up.

lau
08-24-2005, 11:54 PM
I guess Wertheim has never played any sport himself. Anyone wants a piece of NO1, no matter if he's a nice person, or a complete jerk. Also, there are a lot of money and points involved.
:lol: So true...

1sun
08-25-2005, 02:33 AM
no, its due to how good roger is.

nobama
08-25-2005, 05:17 AM
no, its due to how good roger is.Of course, but I think it does play a part. Although there's not much hope for the rest of the tour when he can go into a tournament and basically suck all week yet win the title.