----------------

[1] FEDERER, Roger SUI
[3] HEWITT, Lleyton AUS

[4] RODDICK, Andy USA
[7] AGASSI, Andre USA

FINALS
-------

FEDERER def. AGASSI

I think if Spadea defeats Coria, he has a decent shot at the quarters.
I also think that James Blake has the potential to defeat Nadal.

Interesting first round matchups:

Djokovic vs. Monfils
Verdasco vs. Henman
Fish vs. Karlovic
Rusedski vs. Blake
Coria vs. Mantilla
El Aynaoui vs. Srichaphan
Lapentti vs. Stepanek

mickymouse
08-24-2005, 06:50 PM
Hewitt and Safin meet as early as QFs? That sucks.

Sjengster
08-24-2005, 06:52 PM
Someone's trying to send the British players a message, aren't they? Drawn in the first round against two of the biggest forehands on tour. And may I say, poor old Bobby Reynolds - that AO beatdown is about to be visited upon him once again.

adee-gee
08-24-2005, 07:00 PM
British interest will be over after round 1. Unless the young Scot can do us proud again.

vincayou
08-24-2005, 07:02 PM
it would be fun if Murray was in the Nadal part or with Monfils and Djokovic!

Nimomunz
08-24-2005, 07:08 PM
monfils - djokovic
what a match!
brilliant i'm so excited for that!!

Jimnik
08-24-2005, 07:10 PM
NOOOOO:banghead: poor JUAN CARLOS :sad:
That is EXACTLY what I was afraid of. The earliest possible time JC could have played Federer was the 4th round and - guess what - 4th round IT IS:banghead:
JC really needed a good draw this time - I want a re-draw.

Nice to see Marat get a good draw though. As long as he can keep his sanity, he should be able to make it to the quarters.
Andy has a potential banana-skin in the 2nd round. Only a month ago, he lost to Ginepri in Indy and Robby has been playing well ever since.

Socket
08-24-2005, 07:13 PM
Someone's trying to send the British players a message, aren't they? Drawn in the first round against two of the biggest forehands on tour. And may I say, poor old Bobby Reynolds - that AO beatdown is about to be visited upon him once again.
That's what the Brits get for bitching about Scut getting a WC, not Murray.

;) ;) ;)

Aleksa's Laydee
08-24-2005, 07:14 PM
Sucky draw for Thomas...nadal in r4 :sobbing:

KoOlMaNsEaN
08-24-2005, 07:15 PM
1R Minar
2R Santoro
3R (27)O.Rochus
4R (16)Stepanek
QF (6)Davydenko
SF (3)Hewitt
F (2)Nadal

moon
08-24-2005, 07:16 PM
are Roddick & Agassi on the same side of the draw?

TheBoiledEgg
08-24-2005, 07:19 PM
damn
Marat, in top half, still long way to go. just hope he makes week 2

Hewitt in same half as Roger, that was kinda inevitable :o

Ducky got BagelBoy in r2........ lets see same outcome :o :zzz:

Carlos, just go win some matches, draw looks pretty ok :D

Nimomunz
08-24-2005, 07:21 PM
safin has a draw filled with those players that seem to beat him even though he should wipe them off the court. eg, Beck Ancic Hrbaty, Dent arggh!! Easy draw for anyone except the OAf. But if he makes it to the QF i'm so seeing a SF with Fed!! :bounce: Hewitt who? :shrug: :lol:

Merton
08-24-2005, 07:21 PM
[QUOTE=Grinder]I also think that James Blake has the potential to defeat Nadal.

I will be very happy if James makes it to the 3rd round over Rusedski/Adreev. If he does, i think Rafa is a very bad matchup for him, because he has not a good enough serve to prevent Rafa from finding his rhythm, while his shot selection/strategy is James' weakest point, imo.

onewoman74
08-24-2005, 07:28 PM
Nadal has an easy draw....Fed always seem to have Santoro on his side of the draw...Safin and Hewitt may meet up...Safin can take him out. Gasquet, hopefully he can make it to the quarters to make it more interesting...we'll see how that goes.

Grinder
08-24-2005, 07:30 PM

I will be very happy if James makes it to the 3rd round over Rusedski/Adreev. If he does, i think Rafa is a very bad matchup for him, because he has not a good enough serve to prevent Rafa from finding his rhythm, while his shot selection/strategy is James' weakest point, imo.

I don't know dude, James has really beefed up his serve and consistency. He's been hitting 135+ on his first serves and serving an average of 120.

mangoes
08-24-2005, 07:31 PM
Oh Great...................AGAIN, Nadal has the easy quarter of the draw. How does he get so lucky each time? There is absolutely no one that can make trouble for Nadal before the Semifinals..........and that's assuming Andy decides to play that night.

mangoes
08-24-2005, 07:33 PM

Oh please..................Playing James will be a practice match for Nadal.

alfonsojose
08-24-2005, 07:40 PM
Massu is going to suck the remains of "Ken Doll" Gambill :lol:

njnetswill
08-24-2005, 07:40 PM
This draw looks ok. Sucks for Ferrero though.

delsa
08-24-2005, 07:41 PM
monfils - djokovic
what a match!
I think Djokovik will win this.

Nimomunz
08-24-2005, 07:42 PM
I think Djokovik will win this.
i'm so calling monfils on this!!

delsa
08-24-2005, 07:43 PM
Nadal has an easy draw....Fed always seem to have Santoro on his side of the draw...Safin and Hewitt may meet up...Safin can take him out. Gasquet, hopefully he can make it to the quarters to make it more interesting...we'll see how that goes.
Gasquet is currently injured and will still very likely be at the USO but i hope he'll snatch one or two wins (hope for not a too dangerous qualifier...).

delsa
08-24-2005, 07:44 PM
i'm so calling monfils on this!!
Well, seeing how he played recently i wouldn't bet on him. Despite the wins, he didn't play well at all for most of the time except some very few good points...But maybe he'll be hypermotivated to do well at the USO and therefore play a lot better. I've never seen him play as well as he did at last year's Paris-Bercy Masters yet.

BAMJ6
08-24-2005, 07:50 PM
Andre avoided Federer in the quarters. That's big for him. Hope someone takes Nadal out so Agassi can be on Super Saturday night against Roddick.

peteslamz
08-24-2005, 07:53 PM
Nadal is always blessed with an easy draw. I think it's the first time in n matches that Gasquet's draw differs with Nadal's and that's good for him however i think he'll just reach third or fourth round. Too bad Safin and Hewitt will meet too soon while Juan Carlos could set an interesting round of 16 with Roger. I also hope that Nadal-Roddick semis will push through already! :)

Clara Bow
08-24-2005, 08:07 PM
Nadal is always blessed with an easy draw.

Nadal's draw at the French Open was no cake walk on that surface or in that county. Just because Coria didn't pan out in that section does not mean that it was an easy draw at RG.

Up until the quarters at the USO, Rafa's draw isn't too tough. However, after that - I wouldn't classify being drawn as potentially having to play Saint Andre and then Roddick at the USO as being easy. ;)

Wish that JCF wasn't drawn to meet Federer in the 4th round. Hate that Hewitt/Safin/Federer are all in the same section. In part because one match that I would be really interested to see would be a Safin/Roddick match. If I recall correctly (and I may not be) they really haven't met up that many times.

Haute
08-24-2005, 08:11 PM
JC is never going to get a good draw again in his life, is he? :rolleyes:

musefanatic
08-24-2005, 08:14 PM
I have a feeling that the Brits aren't doing great. Verdasco v Henman- well, Verdasco is a bit of a dark horse and Greg's draw against James Blake, well, gotta hope for the best. :(

Ferrero has a qualifier, not bad! :)

ca1houn
08-24-2005, 08:33 PM
I was under the impression that the number 4 meets the number 1 in the Simi-final, which was the case in AO and the FO this year

avocadoe
08-24-2005, 08:37 PM
Feds got a good draw, hard to make him a bad one, lol...unless Safin is totally ON, its into the final. Poor JCF...Roddick should roar unless Ginepri get him on a bad serve day...Agassi gag Karlovic, and Berdych, but if he does do that and feels okay, he'll be in trouble against Nadal. I bet he'd love to change quarters. Oh well, as long as Federer wins, I'll be vvv happy :)

Dirk
08-24-2005, 08:40 PM
Andre avoided Federer in the quarters. That's big for him. Hope someone takes Nadal out so Agassi can be on Super Saturday night against Roddick.

Just because Nadal beat Andre once doesn't mean Andre cannot beat him. Nadal was huffing and puffing in that 3rd set and taking so much time between Andre's serving points that the old man was complaining. If Andre can hang with him on this faster and lower bouncing court (which favors Andre) then Andre will grind him down. Andre might not move nearly as fast as Nadal but if he can drain his gas tank, then Andre will win.

Winston's Human
08-24-2005, 08:52 PM
In part because one match that I would be really interested to see would be a Safin/Roddick match. If I recall correctly (and I may not be) they really haven't met up that many times.

Andy and Marat have met five times with Andy leading the series 3-2. They played four of those matches last year with Marat winning at AO, and Andy winning at IW, Bangkok, and TMC.

Jennay
08-24-2005, 08:58 PM
Ferrero and Safin's draws suck. :ras:

Nimomunz
08-24-2005, 09:00 PM
Ferrero and Safin's draws suck. :ras:
Safins draw sucks because its Safin. Anyone else would tear across the draw!!

NYCtennisfan
08-24-2005, 09:04 PM
Safins draw sucks because its Safin. Anyone else would tear across the draw!!

Excellent point.

disturb3d
08-24-2005, 09:04 PM
Just because Nadal beat Andre once doesn't mean Andre cannot beat him. Nadal was huffing and puffing in that 3rd set and taking so much time between Andre's serving points that the old man was complaining. If Andre can hang with him on this faster and lower bouncing court (which favors Andre) then Andre will grind him down. Andre might not move nearly as fast as Nadal but if he can drain his gas tank, then Andre will win.Andre is an old man, there should be no expectation on his shoulders.

The Andre of '95 would rip through Nadal, but thats irrelevant.

Dirk
08-24-2005, 09:07 PM
Andre is an old man, there should be no expectation on his shoulders.

The Andre of '95 would rip through Nadal, but thats irrelevant.

He may be old but he wouldn't hit empty before Nadal would in a 5 setter. Andre has a good shot at making the finals.

disturb3d
08-24-2005, 09:12 PM
He may be old but he wouldn't hit empty before Nadal would in a 5 setter. Andre has a good shot at making the finals.I forgot it was a 5-setter... Well, I guess he does have hope.

Mechlan
08-24-2005, 09:16 PM
Andre's draw isn't all bad. A couple of possibly dangerous floaters in the early rounds, but assuming he's healthy, he should get through. His real difficulty stems against the top 5. I have the disadvantage of not having watched his match against Nadal in Montreal, but I think I'd take this QF over one against Federer or Hewitt. The conditions and court are to his liking, and a best of 5 would certainly give him ample opportunity to try and do what he likes.

gooner88
08-24-2005, 09:16 PM
That's what the Brits get for bitching about Scut getting a WC, not Murray.

;) ;) ;)

Perhaps. :devil:
I'm not Murray's biggest fan, but he was definitely more deserving of a WC than Scud. He's jumped up the rankings and won 2 challengers recently. Last I heard of Scud he lost in R1 of qualifying in LA.
Anyway Good Luck Nalbo and the Brits. :yeah:

mitalidas
08-24-2005, 09:18 PM
The draw is definitely not rigged by and for Americans!

Federer has a sweet draw --including the potential SF against hewitt/safin.
hewitt has a tough draw. Potentially have to go through safin and Fed just to reach the final, where nadal or roddick or agassi might be waiting

vincayou
08-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Murray has never qualified for a GS, and it might be his only "opportunity" to go through this. No need to cry for him. And I'm confident he'll be all right.

gooner88
08-24-2005, 09:23 PM
Murray has never qualified for a GS, and it might be his only "opportunity" to go through this. No need to cry for him. And I'm confident he'll be all right.

I agree, it will be good experience for him to go through qualies.
I wanted him not to get a WC anyway, but he definitely had a better case than Scud for one.

vincayou
08-24-2005, 09:27 PM
I know, but well, Scud needed it mode. :)

Clara Bow
08-24-2005, 10:02 PM
Upon looking at the draw further I can't really see anyone who will be a real threat to Roddick on hard court until the semis, in particual since Gasquet does seem to have a slight injury.

mitalidas
08-24-2005, 10:06 PM
Upon looking at the draw further I can't really see anyone who will be a real threat to Roddick on hard court until the semis, in particual since Gasquet does seem to have a slight injury.

Yes, his draw is about as straightforward's as Roger's, until the semis. Ginepri, Ljubicic, could give him problems, but as you said, probably not a serious threat. nadal, agassi, lleyton and safin have the toughest draws among the contenders, and I would say amongst them, Lleyton's is the worst

Socket
08-24-2005, 10:08 PM
I'll speculate that the thinking was that Scud, as somebody who actually owns some US Open hardware, deserved the WC more than Murray did. This doesn't mean that Murray didn't deserve a WC, only that Scud had a slightly better case as a former finalist.

I have no doubt that it'll be the last time that Mark gets a WC at the US Open.

mitalidas
08-24-2005, 10:12 PM
I'll speculate that the thinking was that Scud, as somebody who actually owns some US Open hardware, deserved the WC more than Murray did. This doesn't mean that Murray didn't deserve a WC, only that Scud had a slightly better case as a former finalist.

Unless he drives home that lexus and then crashes out of all tournaments for the rest of the year needing a WC next year

ps. I also think that there is quid pro quo involved in Murray's being snubbed for a wc. The Brits gave only Blake one for WImbledon, based on his half English heritage, and ignored many US players better than the unknown British ones.

gooner88
08-24-2005, 10:16 PM

Agreed, even though Scud made that final 7 years ago.

adelaide
08-24-2005, 10:21 PM
hopefully Ancic will win at least 1 match this year. go mario! :D

PamV
08-24-2005, 10:41 PM
Hewitt and Safin meet as early as QFs? That sucks.

Well Safin has to meet some top 4 guy in the QF because he's seeded 5th. If Safin is still suffering the way he was when he played Ginepri he may not make it to a QF.

PamV
08-24-2005, 10:46 PM

Nadal faces a wild card in the 1st and 2nd round.....how much easier can it get for him? Federer faces Minar 1st round then probably Santoro 2nd round. Those are tough early round opponents.

PamV
08-24-2005, 10:48 PM
[QUOTE=Merton]

Oh please..................Playing James will be a practice match for Nadal.

If Blake is a practice match for Nadal then what does playing Bobby Reynolds 1st round and Scoville Jenkins 2nd round amount to? He might as well just call in those matches.

Castafiore
08-24-2005, 10:50 PM
Can you make other posts besides the endless Rafa vs Federer posts, PamV?
Obsessed much?

Federer's draw isn't that tough for him either up until the point where he could meet Safin or Hewitt.
Safin? How much can he do with that knee?
Hewitt? I hope he can give Federer at least a fight but frankly, I don't see it happening.

Nadal? He's still finding his feet on hardcourt. He possibly faces Rusedski and that could be a danger. Agassi will be eager for a rematch and Roddick is no picknick either, IF Nadal even gets that far.

PamV
08-24-2005, 10:54 PM
Yes, his draw is about as straightforward's as Roger's, until the semis. Ginepri, Ljubicic, could give him problems, but as you said, probably not a serious threat. nadal, agassi, lleyton and safin have the toughest draws among the contenders, and I would say amongst them, Lleyton's is the worst

Mitalidas: In what way is Nadal's draw tough? Look at the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round possible match ups. Nadal will face wild cards in the 1st and 2nd and then probably Blake in the 3rd. It seems to me he's got quite a nice draw to help him get acclamated to the tournament. On the other hand Roger will have more seasoned players to face like the big serving Minar, and the wiley Santoro, not to mention JCF who is on the rise.

Roddick's earliest challenge will be Ginepri in the 2nd round. Other than that I think Roddick's quarter is a piece of cake for him.

PamV
08-24-2005, 10:55 PM
Can you make other posts besides the endless Rafa vs Federer posts, PamV?
Obsessed much?

I am discussing their draws and that's what this thread is about. And....NO I will not be told what to post about. If you want to post about any one else go ahead.

PamV
08-24-2005, 10:57 PM
Nadal? He's still finding his feet on hardcourt. He possibly faces Rusedski and that could be a danger. Agassi will be eager for a rematch and Roddick is no picknick either, IF Nadal even gets that far.

Do you really think the likes of Bobby Reynolds, Scoville Jenkins and Blake are going to give Nadal any trouble? LOL! The QFs are far away. I am talking about what the players face early on.

Castafiore
08-24-2005, 10:57 PM
I am discussing their draws and that's what this thread is about. And....NO I will not be told what to post about. If you want to post about any one else go ahead.
oooh...touchy! :p

PamV
08-24-2005, 11:00 PM
Just because Nadal beat Andre once doesn't mean Andre cannot beat him. Nadal was huffing and puffing in that 3rd set and taking so much time between Andre's serving points that the old man was complaining. If Andre can hang with him on this faster and lower bouncing court (which favors Andre) then Andre will grind him down. Andre might not move nearly as fast as Nadal but if he can drain his gas tank, then Andre will win.

Andre is a big variable because we never know when he is going to start feeling some pain or feel worn out because of being older. Andre was also huffing and puffing in his match against Nadal. He would have to play smarter ....keeping Nadal on the run without making himself run more. Hopefully he wouldn't have to resort to volleys.

PamV
08-24-2005, 11:01 PM
oooh...touchy! :p

No, I'v just got a spine and won't be intimidated. You were the one getting annoyed with me for comparing their draws. Seems like you are the touchy one.

mitalidas
08-24-2005, 11:04 PM
Mitalidas: In what way is Nadal's draw tough? Look at the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round possible match ups. Nadal will face wild cards in the 1st and 2nd and then probably Blake in the 3rd. It seems to me he's got quite a nice draw to help him get acclamated to the tournament. On the other hand Roger will have more seasoned players to face like the big serving Minar, and the wiley Santoro, not to mention JCF who is on the rise.

Roddick's earliest challenge will be Ginepri in the 2nd round. Other than that I think Roddick's quarter is a piece of cake for him.

Sorry you misunderstood my post. None of the top few have any seriously tough matches in the first few rounds. I am talking about deeper into the draw. Looking at the top 5 or 6 seeds, nadal has to potentially take out three fairly recent champions --Roger, roddick and agassi to win. That is a tall order

Sure there are people who could trouble Roger, andy , marat, etc. earlier on, but realistically their difficulty begins in the 2nd week. For Roger and andy, the first big danger arrives in the SF. For nadal/agassi and hewitt/safin it begins in th QF. That is a significant didfference

PamV
08-24-2005, 11:04 PM
He may be old but he wouldn't hit empty before Nadal would in a 5 setter. Andre has a good shot at making the finals.

Not necessarily. Most of Andre's opponents from his golden years would not make Andre run, Andre would make them do all the running. Nadal does get back a lot of balls and he makes Andre run also.

Castafiore
08-24-2005, 11:10 PM
No, I'v just got a spine and won't be intimidated. You were the one getting annoyed with me for comparing their draws. Seems like you are the touchy one.
Spine?
Intimidation?
What are you talking about?
I just get tired of the endless "oh, Nadal is getting an easy draw" whereas I see no reason to complain because Federer doesn't have a tough early draw either. It's just another excuse to complain about Nadal but that's how I see it and yes, it's your opinion and yes, you don't have to agree with me.

But OK...let's talk about the draw and get on topic before this gets ugly. OK?

Nadal could have had a tougher draw in the early draws. True.
But, facing Rusedski is not a gift. He's not the very top anymore perhaps but he can still give just about anybody a tough match when he's on fire and motivated.
Blake has proven that he can be tough to play against.

PamV
08-24-2005, 11:18 PM
Sorry you misunderstood my post. None of the top few have any seriously tough matches in the first few rounds. I am talking about deeper into the draw. Looking at the top 5 or 6 seeds, nadal has to potentially take out three fairly recent champions --Roger, roddick and agassi to win. That is a tall order

Sure there are people who could trouble Roger, andy , marat, etc. earlier on, but realistically their difficulty begins in the 2nd week. For Roger and andy, the first big danger arrives in the SF. For nadal/agassi and hewitt/safin it begins in th QF. That is a significant didfference

I see your point if you assume that the top seeds will make it past their early rounds. However, Ginepri did beat Roddick in Indy recently.....doesn't it seem like a possiblity he could beat Roddick in the 2nd round? As for Roger he is always off track a bit in the early rounds so that's why I say that the fact he isn't just playing wild cards or qualies makes it tougher for him. Roger has JCF in the 3rd or 4th round and remember didn't JCF give Roger some trouble this year?

Regarding QFs or SFs.....I think it's premature to assume Agassi or Safin would make it that far physically. Anything is possible with them. Safin had about 3 good rounds in Cincinatti and then his knee fell apart.

Clara Bow
08-24-2005, 11:19 PM

Wordy McWord. I think that at this juncture, it is really looking like Safin, Hewitt Agassi, and Nadal will likely have much tougher quarterfinal matches than Roddick or Federer. This is not a slam on either Roddick or Fed, just the fact that S,H,A and N are all less likely to get out of their repective quarters, in large part because they could have to play one another.

And I do think that for Nadal to have to potentially play Agassi and then Roddick in New York to get to the finals is a very, very tough order indeed. And as much as I would like for him to be able to pull it off, I don't think he will be able to. Heck, I'm even worried about the third round against Greg or James at this point (I think he will likely get through but it won't be easy).

Speaking of Greg and James, I think it rather stinks that they are meeting in the first round. Both are really finding their form this summer, but unfortunatley, could be a very tough match for both.

PamV
08-24-2005, 11:22 PM
Nadal could have had a tougher draw in the early draws. True.
But, facing Rusedski is not a gift. He's not the very top anymore perhaps but he can still give just about anybody a tough match when he's on fire and motivated.
Blake has proven that he can be tough to play against.

I think JCF is just as tough or tougher than facing Rusedski. I suppose in either case it will be up to how they play that day. But for that matter isn't Ivo Minar as big of a server as Rusedski? Fed has to face Minar 1st round. :rolleyes:

Any way....I know I could feel more distress over Federer's draw than anyone else's. Still I think I am allowed to say what I think, just like everyone else is.

disturb3d
08-24-2005, 11:30 PM
Heck, I'm even worried about the third round against Greg or James at this point (I think he will likely get through but it won't be easy).Be worried for Andy. That joke won't beat Robby, I'll tell you that.

Clara Bow
08-25-2005, 12:13 AM
I think JCF is just as tough or tougher than facing Rusedski.

I do think that if JCF is on the form that he has been showing as of late he could be very tough for Roger in the fourth round. JCF seems to be really gathering he aspects of the game that he had before his bad year, and now just really needs to have them thoughout one match and pull a big win. I think that such a win could break the seal and really start things happening for him. That stated, I would still have to think that Roger would win a potential round of 16 match against JCF- but it could be a really tough and well played match.

ExpectedWinner
08-25-2005, 12:21 AM
I would take Rusedski over JCF on any day. The match with Rusedski is "easy"- you go back and forth for about 2 hours and wait for your chance. Pathetic baseline rallies, very little pressure on the returns, minimum running- not a very bad match to have in the middle of the tournament.

rue
08-25-2005, 12:53 AM
The draw does not look too bad. There is a possible rematch between Roddick and Ginepri. I still think that Ginepri could still beat Ginepri cos he is playing really well these days. Federer's draw is not too tough, but he may meet up with JCF which could be a tough match for him on hard court. Other than that, he should be okay.

Nadal's draw is a good one. He has got Agassi in his quarter then possibly may meet Roddick in the semis, but he has got a good chance to prove that his win in Montreal was not a fluke. He can even reach the finals and then play Federer for the title. That is the final that I would love to watch.

Socket
08-25-2005, 12:55 AM
Unless he drives home that lexus and then crashes out of all tournaments for the rest of the year needing a WC next year

ps. I also think that there is quid pro quo involved in Murray's being snubbed for a wc. The Brits gave only Blake one for WImbledon, based on his half English heritage, and ignored many US players better than the unknown British ones.
The nerve of them! The next thing you know, the LTA will be asking Blake to play for the British Davis Cup team. ;)

mitalidas
08-25-2005, 01:14 AM
I see your point if you assume that the top seeds will make it past their early rounds. However, Ginepri did beat Roddick in Indy recently.....doesn't it seem like a possiblity he could beat Roddick in the 2nd round? As for Roger he is always off track a bit in the early rounds so that's why I say that the fact he isn't just playing wild cards or qualies makes it tougher for him. Roger has JCF in the 3rd or 4th round and remember didn't JCF give Roger some trouble this year?

But then you're only picking people in roddick's and Roger's draws to make your point. By your logic, nadal also got surprised by a lowranked hardhitter in the first round of Cincy. Why would that not happen to him in the earlier round? You can't exclude that, so you can;t exclude that his draw is as hard as anyone else's

uNIVERSE mAN
08-25-2005, 01:16 AM
Rogi can't be stopped.

Jimena
08-25-2005, 01:19 AM
Wait a sec. I think Roger's 4th round against JCF and a possible quarter with Nalbandian (or am I reading the draw wrong?), are tougher than what any of the other top 5 players plus Agassi are possibly going to be facing. Roddick might have a tough one against Ginepri, but I expect him to pull out the win and then he won't be facing anyone that dangerous until the semis.

Really, is Ferrero ever going to get a good draw again? He has been playing really well lately and he's not getting rewarded because he seems to be meeting the top contenders early. That's just horrible luck.

mangoes
08-25-2005, 01:22 AM
Nadal's draw at the French Open was no cake walk on that surface or in that county. Just because Coria didn't pan out in that section does not mean that it was an easy draw at RG.

Up until the quarters at the USO, Rafa's draw isn't too tough. However, after that - I wouldn't classify being drawn as potentially having to play Saint Andre and then Roddick at the USO as being easy. ;)

Wish that JCF wasn't drawn to meet Federer in the 4th round. Hate that Hewitt/Safin/Federer are all in the same section. In part because one match that I would be really interested to see would be a Safin/Roddick match. If I recall correctly (and I may not be) they really haven't met up that many times.

Are you kidding me, Nadal had an easy draw at the French Open. Hell, Ferrer could not even put up a fight cause he was so exhausted from his previous match............now, that's good luck.

mangoes
08-25-2005, 01:26 AM
[QUOTE=mangoes]

If Blake is a practice match for Nadal then what does playing Bobby Reynolds 1st round and Scoville Jenkins 2nd round amount to? He might as well just call in those matches.

Sprints around the tennis court.

mangoes
08-25-2005, 01:27 AM

COMPLETELY AGREE. That is happening in every tournament. Nadal is escaping the big guys.

LLeytonRules
08-25-2005, 01:27 AM
Seems like the people in flushing want duck face in the finals everytime out.I dont wanna see another Fed vs duck face final, its so one-dimensional.I rather see Fed vs Agassi or Nadal.Of course i am rooting for LLeyton but it will be difficult.

ugotlobbed
08-25-2005, 01:48 AM
POSSIBLE NALBANDIAN FEDERER QF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!YAYYYYY

Jimnik
08-25-2005, 02:21 AM
I totally disagree with everyone here saying Roddick has an easy draw.

1st round Gilles Muller who beat Ginepri and Hrbaty en-route to the LA final and, if I remember correctly, had a good run in Washington too. Possible upset.

2nd round Robby Ginepri. Beat Andy and won the tournament in Indy. Beat Ferrer, Moya and Safin en-route to the Cincy semis where he took the 1st set off the Fed. I really think this could be Ginepri's big break-through. 50-50

3rd round possibly Tommy Haas. Nearly beat Andy at the Olympics last year and still has a 4-3 winning H2H against Andy. Admittedly, he's been injured and is short on match pactise. But possible upset.

4th round possibly Ivan Ljubicic. Beat Andy in the Davis Cup IN AMERICA earlier this year. Could have beaten Andy 2 years ago at Flushing Meadows. Andy is only the slight favourite for this one.

After that, I admit Andy's potential quarter-final opponents look straight forward but will Andy make it that far?

fenomeno2111
08-25-2005, 02:22 AM
How can anybody complain on draws?? a tennis tournament is meant to be played and obviously players have to face each other.....I just don't understand why people whine and cry about that... Federer tough draw ???? i don't think that the # 1 player and the most dominant on the past years has a tough one, he just needs to play his game and win!! I love the potential Agassi-Nadal in QF, Nalbandian-Fed, Hewitt- Safin, Roddick-Coria...well all i can say is that whiners should realize that it is a tounament meant to play tennis matches :wavey:and just ENJOY!!! I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

uNIVERSE mAN
08-25-2005, 02:31 AM

Funny how Santoro causes everyone fits except Fed, what's that all about?

Domino
08-25-2005, 02:35 AM
Interesting that Fed gets a guy in the first round who nearly beat him earlier this year.

tangerine_dream
08-25-2005, 02:44 AM
This draw is clear proof that the USO is rigged to favor the Swiss. What luck! I'll bet Roger's father, God, also has plans to rain on the days that Hewitt, Safin, Nalbandian, and Nadal play so as to screw up the TV schedule and make them all too tired to play beyond the quarterfinals. For added measure, the Tornado Generator--which worked beautifully at last year's quarterfinals--will be brought in again as a back-up plan just in case Roddick gets two extra days off to rest. More wind! More rain!

rofe
08-25-2005, 02:47 AM
Interesting that Fed gets a guy in the first round who nearly beat him earlier this year.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. It is a bit surprising that nobody said anything about it in this thread. He took Fed to the limit earlier this year and at Wimbly provided him with a lot of anxious moments.

Mechlan
08-25-2005, 03:01 AM
This draw is clear proof that the USO is rigged to favor the Swiss. What luck! I'll bet Roger's father, God, also has plans to rain on the days that Hewitt, Safin, Nalbandian, and Nadal play so as to screw up the TV schedule and make them all too tired to play beyond the quarterfinals. For added measure, the Tornado Generator--which worked beautifully at last year's quarterfinals--will be brought in again as a back-up plan just in case Roddick gets two extra days off to rest. More wind! More rain!

JesusFed will do what he must. :lol:

Experimentee
08-25-2005, 03:26 AM
I would have preferred Andre to be in Roddicks draw, but at least its not Federer.
Its not a bad draw for Hrbaty seeing he had to be in a top 4 section, but Seppi could be dangerous.
I'm pissed off about Monfils-Djokovic, both could have gone far in the tournament.

Experimentee
08-25-2005, 03:30 AM

Theres no way Minar will challenge him again. He is hit or miss and it was working in Dubai but not lately.

guinevere_79
08-25-2005, 05:21 AM
Wait a sec. I think Roger's 4th round against JCF and a possible quarter with Nalbandian (or am I reading the draw wrong?), are tougher than what any of the other top 5 players plus Agassi are possibly going to be facing. Roddick might have a tough one against Ginepri, but I expect him to pull out the win and then he won't be facing anyone that dangerous until the semis.

Really, is Ferrero ever going to get a good draw again? He has been playing really well lately and he's not getting rewarded because he seems to be meeting the top contenders early. That's just horrible luck.

Roger has a fairly easy draw as compared to Lleyton's draw, but no way is his draw the easiest among the top four seeds (that honor goes to Nadal). Ivo Minar gave him a scare earlier this year, but they already played a match after that and Roger won easily as I expected. Roger has a potential quarterfinal against Nalbandian, but knowing Nalbandian, he probably won't even get that far. I think Fernando Gonzalez will again be Roger's quarterfinal opponent, just like at Wimbledon.

Nadal has a VERY easy draw. He'll probably reach the fourth round without dropping a set. His tournament starts in the second week, really.

Purple Rainbow
08-25-2005, 09:37 AM
Geez, what a lot of non-sense talk about the difficulty of the draws. It seems that no one realises that the current top 4 in the world are so much better than any player not ranked top 16, that Feds, Nadal, Roddick and Hewitt have by definition easy draws up until the 4th round. :rolleyes:

Nimomunz
08-25-2005, 02:34 PM
Funny how Santoro causes everyone fits except Fed, what's that all about?
the only person santoro causes fits for is Safin. Everyone else just gets irritated!!

Puschkin
08-25-2005, 02:40 PM
Nadal has a VERY easy draw. He'll probably reach the fourth round without dropping a set. His tournament starts in the second week, really.

That's what I thought after a first glance, too. On a second look: US-wildcards and in-form qualifiers in a night match in front of an enthusiastic crowd might pose quite a challenge.

PamV
08-25-2005, 02:53 PM
Geez, what a lot of non-sense talk about the difficulty of the draws. It seems that no one realises that the current top 4 in the world are so much better than any player not ranked top 16, that Feds, Nadal, Roddick and Hewitt have by definition easy draws up until the 4th round. :rolleyes:

There are degrees of ease or difficulty though. For Nadal to draw a wildcard American in both the 1st and 2nd round is extremely easy. Federer drawing Minar and possibly Santoro in the 1st and 2nd round is not extremely easy. Usually Federer starts out rusty in the early rounds and that's when he's the most vunerable. Roddick drawing Ginepri in the 2nd round is his only difficult round in his quarter.

Nimomunz
08-25-2005, 02:55 PM
There are degrees of ease or difficulty though. For Nadal to draw a wildcard American in both the 1st and 2nd round is extremely easy. Federer drawing Minar and possibly Santoro in the 1st and 2nd round is not extremely easy. Usually Federer starts out rusty in the early rounds and that's when he's the most vunerable. Roddick drawing Ginepri in the 2nd round is his only difficult round in his quarter.
draw are fate, luck, chance. so sorry if fed has no luck in the draw but dont make it out as if nadal will coast. wildcards on a partisan crowd are known for their upsets.

PamV
08-25-2005, 02:55 PM
That's what I thought after a first glance, too. On a second look: US-wildcards and in-form qualifiers in a night match in front of an enthusiastic crowd might pose quite a challenge.

I don't think the US fans are that patriotic they they will cheer on practically unknown wild cards just because they are American. They might cheer against Nadal if they are looking ahead and hoping it helps Agassi or Roddick.

Purple Rainbow
08-25-2005, 02:56 PM

Those are not degrees of difficulty, but degrees of easiness and there's quite a difference.
Ivo Minar is not a tough draw, by the way.

Nimomunz
08-25-2005, 02:56 PM
I don't think the US fans are that patriotic they they will cheer on practically unknown wild cards just because they are American. They might cheer against Nadal if they are looking ahead and hoping it helps Agassi or Roddick.
of course they will the underdog who happens to be an american the entire crowd will cheer for him!!

PamV
08-25-2005, 02:57 PM
draw are fate, luck, chance. so sorry if fed has no luck in the draw but dont make it out as if nadal will coast. wildcards on a partisan crowd are known for their upsets.

You don't think Nadal will coast over Reynolds and Jenkins? No crowd is going to affect those matches. Get real. Jenkins was petrified against Roddick last year. How much different will he be now?

Purple Rainbow
08-25-2005, 02:57 PM
I don't think the US fans are that patriotic they they will cheer on practically unknown wild cards just because they are American.

You haven't watched a lot of sporting events in the States, have you? :lol:

PamV
08-25-2005, 03:00 PM
of course they will the underdog who happens to be an american the entire crowd will cheer for him!!

You never know. It will depend on the sentiment they have for Nadal also. Aside from that I think Nadal knows how to block out the crowd and they certainly won't be more emotional than other crowds he's seen. In fact in the 1st couple of rounds the crowd might be pretty sparse.

Kristen
08-25-2005, 03:01 PM
Oh, how it must be lovely to be a fan of those who are seeded. And I'm not talking about the qualifying round... where some of my guys are seeded. Look forward to hearing more whinging though. See my signature (top row) for more information.

PamV
08-25-2005, 03:03 PM
You haven't watched a lot of sporting events in the States, have you? :lol:

Do you really think the crowd will make a difference in Nadal's 1st and 2nd round? I think there will be an international crowd, and many Hispanics ....Nadal might be more popular than Reynolds or Jenkins. In any case Nadal's ability will be so much higher than those wild cards that the crowd will be irrelevant.

Overall Americans aren't as patriotic as most other countries' crowds. Yeah they will cheer like mad for Agassi or Roddick.....but not for some wild cards they don't know.

Nimomunz
08-25-2005, 03:04 PM
You never know. It will depend on the sentiment they have for Nadal also. Aside from that I think Nadal knows how to block out the crowd and they certainly won't be more emotional than other crowds he's seen. In fact in the 1st couple of rounds the crowd might be pretty sparse.
no actually this one i know. nadal will be a good story if he wins but an american wildcard will be a better story. they want the wildcard regardless of their feelings bout andy and aa

Nimomunz
08-25-2005, 03:07 PM
Do you really think the crowd will make a difference in Nadal's 1st and 2nd round? I think there will be an international crowd, and many Hispanics ....Nadal might be more popular than Reynolds or Jenkins. In any case Nadal's ability will be so much higher than those wild cards that the crowd will be irrelevant.

Overall Americans aren't as patriotic as most other countries' crowds. Yeah they will cheer like mad for Agassi or Roddick.....but not for some wild cards they don't know.
yes they will.

Puschkin
08-25-2005, 03:10 PM
I don't think the US fans are that patriotic they they will cheer on practically unknown wild cards just because they are American.

Are you joking? Of course, they will, and by the way, people do it in other parts of the world, too. Not that I like it, but that's the way it is.

In addition: I did not say that Nadal might not be able to deal with it, I just felt that his draw might me less easy than it looks at the first glance.

tangerine_dream
08-25-2005, 03:30 PM
I doubt it, seeing as how Nadal is becoming quite the popular player here in the US. Plus, he's already faced the worst crowds in the world at the French Open. He never had support from them throughout the entire tournament but he still won.

Experimentee
08-25-2005, 03:35 PM

I dont see the point of people bitching about the top player's draws either. None of them have players they shouldnt be able to handle easily until the 4th Rd :shrug:

gillian
08-25-2005, 05:00 PM
Awesome! Thanks for posting. I'm psyched because I have tickets for 2 nights next week. I'm no good at predicting who will reach the quarters, semis, etc.; so, I'll just post my fun first-round matchups.

Tursunov v. Baghdatis (Marcos got a shout-out in Time Out New York's U.S. Open spread)

Srichaphan v. El Aynaoui (This one has outrageously entertaining 5-setter written all over it)

Hewitt v. Costa (Two former slam champs)

Philippoussis v. Kucera (I'm just glad they're both still around)

Mirnyi v. Gimelstob (Should the linespeople and ballkids wear protective head gear during this one? Justin also gets a big feature in the Time Out spread.)

Nieminen v. Beck (Just because I like to say "Jarkk the Shark")

Popp v. Safin (Instinctive first reaction: "What a sucky first round for Marat to draw." But honestly, with Marat, ALL first-round matches have the potential to suck ;) )

Coria v. Mantilla (Dirtballer Heaven)

Ginepri v. Garcia-Lopez (Is the big time calling Our Robby?)

Fish v. Karlovic (This one just strikes me as intersting)

Berdych v. Kohlschreiber (Know nothing about Kohlschreiber - hey, I'm just glad I was able to type the name twice. But after all the hype and upset victories, I just have to see Berdych in action)

Goldstein v. Kuerten (Cuz I still adore my Guga)

Rusedski v. Blake (Resurgence bragging rights, anyone?)

vincayou
08-25-2005, 05:52 PM
I doubt it, seeing as how Nadal is becoming quite the popular player here in the US. Plus, he's already faced the worst crowds in the world at the French Open. He never had support from them throughout the entire tournament but he still won.

Apart the match with Grosjean, he never had the crowd against him either.

gillian
08-25-2005, 06:50 PM
SI's Jon Wertheim has posted his Men's Seed Report

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/jon_wertheim/08/24/usopen.men/index.html

Nimomunz
08-25-2005, 06:58 PM
SF FED VS MONFILS............... Jon i think your a bit mistaken!!!

gillian
08-25-2005, 07:27 PM

Picking Monfils for the semi against Federer was a bit surprising to me. That's a pretty big leap.

David Kenzie
08-25-2005, 07:31 PM
Apart the match with Grosjean, he never had the crowd against him either.
The crowed was pretty much against him from the 3rd round onwards (against Gasquet.) He knocked out France's n°1 and n°2 players so there's nothing really surprising there.

Merton
08-25-2005, 07:39 PM

:haha: :haha: :haha:

A bit mistaken is a mild understatement, this is delusional, is he serious?

Clara Bow
08-25-2005, 08:20 PM
A bit mistaken is a mild understatement, this is delusional, is he serious?

I had to do a double take when I saw his prediction. Though if he is right, my lordy I will call him for tips if I ever start betting on tennis.

He has had some predictions in the past that have seemed out of left field but then panned out (did he predict Gaudio in the 2004 RG semis?). But this seems so out there that it's not even in any field anymore.